• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

Neuromancer said:
Yeah his little yips are annoying, I really like his bicycle kick though.

Yeah no fucking way. I accidentally got a secret achievement last night, I was pretty pumped because I didn't figure on getting any of those. Still not sure how I did it. It was the
Noob Saibot
ladder fight.

Don't use the block button if you see him in the background.

Interfectum

Neuromancer said:
Ah guess I just got lucky. He whooped my ass but I still got the achievement, which was nice.

I got lucky too. I had to look up the achievement to even see how I got it. And yeah, I got my ass beat too. Do you get anything if you beat him? (his outfit?)

I both like and dislike it, but it would also explain why sometimes my juggle would fail even though I timed it right offline, quite possible it was something to do with stance angles.

While it will prolly be patched, I really like the idea of stance specific combos. It's a nice touch to the gameplay and as I said before, reminds me of VF which is always a good thing. As for changing stances, hitting two kicks is all you need to do. I wonder if you can change your stance in certain combos to extend them.

Too strong.

Frankfurt

Banned
Loved story mode, beter than all videogame movies put together. Didn't mind the deaths at all, either. Hope they don't resurrect and restore everyone to goodness. At least keep them as zombies.

Wish the cutscenes were in-engine... The bits and pieces before and after each fight, before the FMVs kicked in looked SO sharp and colorful. If everything looked like that I would've made love to this game. Wish they had chosen the loading times over the soft footage with hidden loading.

Another thing I was a tad disappointed was that Shang, Khan, Goro and Kintaro all were pussies in both gameplay and story. Not only they were too easy on Medium, they also showed up again and again so you could defeat them. I've already beaten this guy and people are still scared of him? That could've been handled better. Made him have a whole new look after stealing the power of Elder Gods or something.

Also, gathering Koins is too easy. They shouldn't award 4000, 6000, 10000 Koins per fight. Should've been 100-500 tops.

Still, just nitpicks.

LOL, I did my first babality completely on accident yesterday. I thought I had Sub-Zero's fatality memorized, but I guess I fucked it up!

Do you ever unlock babality and stage fatality codes so they show up on your move list menu?

And about story mode, I don't mind the retcons too much. Shit, maybe those extra characters were at the MK1 tournament and they just did shitty so we never saw them in the first game. I think most of the retcons improve the game/story, allowing them to establish certain characters earlier on. Putting
human Cyrax and Sektor
in the game early on allowed them to tell a more interesting story about
Lin Kuei and the Cyber Initiative
. And if they wanted
Quan Chi
to play an important role in the story it's kind of important that they get him into the story mode early.

Speaking of hair. Most of the costumes in this game are pretty rad, but Smoke with the hair looks so goddamn stupid. His mask looks like a fucking beak in that costume. What were they thinking?

Interfectum said:
I got lucky too. I had to look up the achievement to even see how I got it. And yeah, I got my ass beat too. Do you get anything if you beat him? (his outfit?)
I hear it was just 1000 koins.

Parallax Scroll said:
Speaking of hair. Most of the costumes in this game are pretty rad, but Smoke with the hair looks so goddamn stupid. His mask looks like a fucking beak in that costume. What were they thinking?
I agree Smoke's hair is really silly. His alt costume is 1000x better.

Sblargh

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
LOL, I did my first babality completely on accident yesterday. I thought I had Sub-Zero's fatality memorized, but I guess I fucked it up!

Do you ever unlock babality and stage fatality codes so they show up on your move list menu?

And about story mode, I don't mind the retcons too much. Shit, maybe those extra characters were at the MK1 tournament and they just did shitty so we never saw them in the first game. I think most of the retcons improve the game/story, allowing them to establish certain characters earlier on. Putting
human Cyrax and Sektor
in the game early on allowed them to tell a more interesting story about
Lin Kuei and the Cyber Initiative
. And if they wanted
Quan Chi
to play an important role in the story it's kind of important that they get him into the story mode early.

Yes

"While it will prolly be patched, I really like the idea of stance specific combos. It's a nice touch to the gameplay and as I said before, reminds me of VF which is always a good thing. As for changing stances, hitting two kicks is all you need to do. I wonder if you can change your stance in certain combos to extend them.

Too strong."

It's interesting. It'd be neat if certain strings find their way in combos because a move changes your footstance allowing for a longer, more damaging combo than others.

"I don#t think stances have any place in a 2D fighter."

Most of the mechanics from the game really make it play more like a 3D fighter, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Parallax Scroll said:
Do you just get them out of the Krypt, or do you have to unlock them a different way? So far all I've gotten from the Krypt besides art is 2nd fatalities and alt costumes.
You just have to perform them in a match and then they'll show up in the character's move list.

XiaNaphryz said:
You just have to perform them in a match and then they'll show up in the character's move list.
Radness. I'll just pull out my strategy guide and... oh wait.

Edit: What's weird is not only are the volume levels messed up in this game, but the game, especially story mode, is so goddamn dark compared to my other 360 games. I had to turn up the volume and brightness on my TV to play this.

I am still trying to figure out if I like the look and character designs for the game. Am I the only one that feels that the characters are lacking something? I can't put my finger on what it is. Keep in mind I have felt this way since Deadly Alliance. Do the proportions seem a bit off on the characters? like big hands and feet? MK will always look best if they use real actors IMO. Oh yea and Kintaro looks awful.

Looks aside, MK is back to form in game play and might even be the best MK yet.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Parallax Scroll said:
What's weird is not only are the volume levels messed up in this game, but the game, especially story mode, is so goddamn dark compared to my other 360 games. I had to turn up the volume and brightness on my TV to play this.
There's video settings you can tweak in the options, don't futz with your TV levels. Same with the audio.

Host Samurai said:
I am still trying to figure out if I like the look and character designs for the game. Am I the only one that feels that the characters are lacking something? I can't put my finger on what it is. Keep in mind I have felt this way since Deadly Alliance. Do the proportions seem a bit off on the characters? like big hands and feet? MK will always look best if they use real actors IMO. Oh yea and Kintaro looks awful.

Kintaro's a little weird but I'm getting used to his new design. Reptile is also a little dumb. I would have preferred a more subtle Reptile - either make it so he looks mostly human and can transform into a green monster, or have him wear a mask to hide it. Otherwise, I'd say everyone looks better than they did in the MK 1-3 days.

XiaNaphryz said:
There's video settings you can tweak in the options, don't futz with your TV levels. Same with the audio.
I did but APPARENTLY IT DIDN'T SAVE CAUSE I HIT B.

Host Samurai said:

I'll probably get shouted out of the thread, but they did they best they could given the source material. I think they did a great job overall with the designs considering the originals were so generic and redundant. There was only so much they could have done to update things without people getting mad at them for straying too far from the original designs.

I think one of their goals was to make it so only Scorpion and Sub-Zero still have the "classic" ninja look, and change the rest of the ninjas enough so they don't look like palette swaps. I'd say they pulled it off nicely with Ermac and Noob, but Smoke and Reptile ended up looking kind of stupid. I mostly skipped the 3D MK games some some of this design may be carried over from those, I wouldn't know.

They sure did a great job with the T&A though.

Arde5643

VGChampion said:
Wow, I just got to Lui Kang's part in the story mode and I think I have a new favorite fighter. Besides his little voice, he's so fast. After learning his flying kicks I've gotten so much better.
Louis Kang has excellent normal strings.

Learn his b+3,1,2 and 2,1,3 combo strings as soon as possible. First one is low and second one is mid and both lends itself to at least 30%+ juggle damage.

You can mess up people real good with that.

Start learning dash, b+3,1,2 or dash, 2,1,3 with Louie - messes people up real bad.

b+1,low fireball is also a very nice string to use when you're at sweep range. Can't be crouched and has to be blocked low.

He also has a really fast uppercut to catch people jumping at you.

Master Thespian said:
I'll probably get shouted out of the thread, but they did they best they could given the source material. I think they did a great job overall with the designs considering the originals were so generic and redundant. There was only so much they could have done to update things without people getting mad at them for straying too far from the original designs.

I guess I would have liked it to look a bit more gritty? or maybe its because the characters look more cartoony and action figure like than real. I always thought they should go for a more Virtua Fighter look in terms of realistic and characters and proportions but with a coat of dark MK flavored grit.

Unicorn

Master Thespian said:
Only person I wish they would have given a complete makeover for would be Quan Chi. There's something about that eye makeup that just makes me think he doesn't fit in at all.

I might be saying it wrong but its not the designs really that I find "off" but its the character proportions and perhaps color pallet of the game that is giving it more of a comic book/cartoon feel than a gritty martial arts film.

Chairhome

MThanded said:
NO this is bad because they said stance switch was not important to the gameplay... I don't support this shat at all. It's another button I need to hit.
Actually, I remember reading that it was only supposed to affect certain characters. It makes sense to why they actually left the change stance button in.

Arde5643 said:
Louis Kang has excellent normal strings.

Learn his b+3,1,2 and 2,1,3 combo strings as soon as possible. First one is low and second one is mid and both lends itself to at least 30%+ juggle damage.

You can mess up people real good with that.

Start learning dash, b+3,1,2 or dash, 2,1,3 with Louie - messes people up real bad.

b+1,low fireball is also a very nice string to use when you're at sweep range. Can't be crouched and has to be blocked low.

He also has a really fast uppercut to catch people jumping at you.
haha

Host Samurai said:
I might be saying it wrong but its not the designs really that I find "off" but its the character proportions and perhaps color pallet of the game that is giving it more of a comic book/cartoon feel than a gritty martial arts film.
I would say it's about as colorful and comic book looking as MK3 was.

GrayFoxPL

Finished story mode. Man, shame it was over so soon! Best story mode I've ever played! Wonder where mk will go from here.
So many characters killed off!

Don't want to piss anybody off, but story Kahn was only slightly more difficult then medium ladder Kahn. The difficulty came rather from quickly learning
Raiden
then Kahn himself. No cheap tricks were needed, he eats combos from the back like a chump.

Most difficult part of the game for me is tag battle. I just don't have the mindset needed for a tag game.

My classic costume codes are just sitting there since psn doesn't work.

Thanks notworksafe for volume tips. It sounds much better now.

RS4-

The stance stuff is interesting. I really wouldn't mind if it was developed more and became part of overall strategy if you wanted to take it that far.

Sblargh

Banned
After beating ladder on expert one million times, I'll go for a second round of the story mode. I want to thank Sony and the hacker community for their support in making me single player this to death.

Teknoman

Host Samurai said:

Its supposed to be more cheesy martial arts meets comic books these days more than anything else. At least thats what i've seen after MK II.

Sblargh said:
After beating ladder on expert one million times, I'll go for a second round of the story mode. I want to thank Sony and the hacker community for their support in making me single player this to death.

Yeah, i'm really itching for some king of the hill matches...and finally being able to register my kombat kode.

Who's the best character to beat on Shao Kahn with on expert difficulty?

I was wondering about Raiden, maybe, since his teleport doesn't commit to an attack and you can just jump back or teleport again if you make a mistake?

corrosivefrost said:

I was wondering about Raiden, maybe, since his teleport doesn't commit to an attack and you can just jump back or teleport again if you make a mistake?
Could be anybody with a teleport, because you'll need to quickly get in and out of his melee range. However, the real answer is probably whoever you're most comfortable playing with.

RS4-

corrosivefrost said:

I want to say Liu Kang just because of his low fireball coming out repeatedly and being able to jump over the hammer whenever it comes out.

The Lamonster said:
Could be anybody with a teleport, because you'll need to quickly get in and out of his melee range. However, the real answer is probably whoever you're most comfortable playing with.

Tried to cheese the no continue trophy with Sheeva/Scorpion... he murdered me like you wouldn't believe. So I'm looking for someone to possibly replace Scorpion with, since most of my normal ladder cheese is the stomp with Sheeva.

I was able to get him down some with Scorpion, but a lot of times I'd try the teleport punch when I thought he'd be open during a move startup and he'd block or my trajectory would be off and I'd get punished like whoa.

sleepykyo

Parallax Scroll said:
I think one of their goals was to make it so only Scorpion and Sub-Zero still have the "classic" ninja look, and change the rest of the ninjas enough so they don't look like palette swaps. I'd say they pulled it off nicely with Ermac and Noob, but Smoke and Reptile ended up looking kind of stupid. I mostly skipped the 3D MK games some some of this design may be carried over from those, I wouldn't know.

They sure did a great job with the T&A though.

TNA, TNA, TNA

Wait, wrong chant. Appearance wise I like the rendered models. Except the female faces and the dreads on the cyber characters (it makes them look like rejected predator redesigns).

sleepykyo said:
TNA, TNA, TNA

Wait, wrong chant. Appearance wise I like the rendered models. Except the female faces and the dreads on the cyber characters (it makes them look like rejected predator redesigns).
It kind of does, yeah. I don't mind the look though. At least one of the guys had actual dreadlocks before he was converted.

sleepykyo said:
TNA, TNA, TNA

Those are their fiber optic cables which is how they connect to the Lin Kuei database

OK I don't know

GrayFoxPL

I'd like classic costumes for cyborgs:

nCW.gif

I'd like classic SOUND EFFECTS as DLC.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go boot up UMK3 and play a match with Liu Kang vs. Liu Kang with your TV volume maxed.

Aske

The Lamonster said:

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go boot up UMK3 and play a match with Liu Kang vs. Liu Kang with your TV volume maxed.

Fuck yes.

Nemesis_

Hey guys.

I imported a bluray for MK and it has the Jade Klassic code.

But I already obtained one from another friendly GAF member.

Is anyone willing to swap the code for ANY 360 code? That's my primary platform of choice since it just arrived.

Thanks in advance.

GrayFoxPL

The Lamonster said:

Yeah. I need those old sfx. In mk3 uppercut sounded like a dynamite explosion now it sounds like someone's fapping. Fap!

Nemesis556 said:
Hey guys.

I imported a bluray for MK and it has the Jade Klassic code.

But I already obtained one from another friendly GAF member.

Is anyone willing to swap the code for ANY 360 code? That's my primary platform of choice since it just arrived.

Thanks in advance.
Does it also have a PS3 code that you won't be using? Because dibs?!

GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah. I need those old sfx. In mk3 uppercut sounded like a dynamite explosion now it sounds like someone's fapping. Fap!
I will admit I love the uppercut sound when you do it on a cyborg character.

fernoca

cuevas said:
Isn't this an unreal 3 title too? Shows that hair can be done pretty well...
Yep. I also said, that is no that Unreal can't do hair; is that it seems to require a little extra work to get it done right. The games has been getting great hair..now, after years. And in this game, the easiest route would've been to give some of the characters (Kitana, Jade, Sindel) more simple hairdos. Alice's hair is shorter than Kitana's for example and it's also the one main character, and in adventure games they tend to put a lot more focus into the details (hair, clothing, textures) of the main character that you're always controlling, contrary to fighting games; were in this case they have to put the same amount of detail...to nearly 30 of them.

That maybe it's also related to how the game runs. We don't know if Alice or Gears will run at full 720p with 60 frames per second. Heck, Mortal kombat is the only Unreal game that does so currently as far as I know.

But I guess what I said was taken out of context.
I didn't said "lol Unreal sucks it can't do hair", but that it seems to be difficult and different. I also said that their hair in this game sucks, because of their own choices. There's no reason for Kitana to have the long hair she has, except the whole "well, she's the daughter of Sindel".

So sorry for derailing the thread with so much hair. XD

Sblargh

Banned
corrosivefrost said:

Anyone who you have learned a big combo. Shao Kahn on any difficulty is about jumping over, combo, repeat. I do it with Sindel and the only unique thing I do with her is air fireball to save me from a wrong jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom