• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda bummed out by the ridiculousness of the female costumes. I'm coming to realize that I might "main" Kitana, but her outfit is kind of embarrassing. I mean, the look totally coalesces with the game's aesthetic, but still.

Chorazin

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm kinda bummed out by the ridiculousness of the female costumes. I'm coming to realize that I might "main" Kitana, but her outfit is kind of embarrassing. I mean, the look totally coalesces with the game's aesthetic, but still.

IT'S A VIDEO GAME. ONLY OTHER PEOPLE WHO OWN THE GAME WILL SEE YOU PLAY IT. YOU MURDER PEOPLE AFTER YOU BEAT THEM MERCILESSLY.

How the fuck is a female character's costume "embarrassing?" It's not like after you pick it, a message goes out to your mom with a pic of the character saying "LOOK AT WHAT YOUR DISGUSTING SON IS DOING!!! SHAME HIM!!!!"

Unicorn

GrayFoxPL said:
I'd like classic costumes for cyborgs:

nCW.gif
I think it's a strong possibility. If you play the desert level there's MK3 Cyrax in the sand in the background on the far left.

Granted, the textures on him are muddy, but... it's there!

Darklord

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:

So gutting someone, pulling the entails out, sticking them in the ground with spikes and letting the person fall face first onto said spikes is ok but a kind of skimpy outfit is embarrassing?

Chorazin said:
IT'S A VIDEO GAME. ONLY OTHER PEOPLE WHO OWN THE GAME WILL SEE YOU PLAY IT. YOU MURDER PEOPLE AFTER YOU BEAT THEM MERCILESSLY.

How the fuck is a female character's costume "embarrassing?" It's not like after you pick it, a message goes out to your mom with a pic of the character saying "LOOK AT WHAT YOUR DISGUSTING SON IS DOING!!! SHAME HIM!!!!"

I think you're overreacting to what I put forward as a pretty minor gripe. I think my admitting that the costumes work in context should have made that clear. I know I'm being unreasonable.

Chorazin said:

Someone is having a bad day.

Sblargh

Banned
I think they are a bit ridiculous too, but Sonya aside, if I were Shao Kahn, I too would order every woman to dress that way. I mean, it is safe to assume outworld is mysoginist x 1000, right?

sleepykyo

Darklord said:
So gutting someone, pulling the entails out, sticking them in the ground with spikes and letting the person fall face first onto said spikes is ok but a kind of skimpy outfit is embarrassing?

People still ask this? Keep in mind, DOA: X2 is a M rated game over here.

Aske

Jimmy Stav said:

Kitana? Really? Her costume is pretty much par for the course for females in fighting games. It's just her face that's embarrassing.

I'd have liked some female costumes that toned down the sluttiness in favour of badassery too, but only Sonya's design feels excessively skanked. Her default costume is up there with Ivy's SC4 outfit in terms of bizarre fighting apparel. But Sonya has her alt colour 2, which is awesome, so all is right with the world.

Anyway, feel free to join those of us waiting in anticipation for any news of Kitana's retro alt finally making its way to PSN store/Live marketplace.

GrayFoxPL

Unicorn said:
I think it's a strong possibility. If you play the desert level there's MK3 Cyrax in the sand in the background on the far left.

Oh didn't notice. Interesting!

Big One

Banned
Unicorn said:

Really? I never noticed. Hope it happens then. There's also data on the disc for MK2 costumes for Kitana, Mileena, and Jade.

RS4-

You know what, why isn't tournament mode the standard? I just watched the CEO match vids and it's just normal game play.

RS4- said:
You know what, why isn't tournament mode the standard? I just watched the CEO match vids and it's just normal game play.
The game hadn't been out long when that tourney happened.

Just remember how amateur the MvC3 tourney vids from Final Round were compared to now.

Unicorn

_dementia said:
The game hadn't been out long when that tourney happened.

Just remember how amateur the MvC3 tourney vids from Final Round were compared to now.
I think he means the Tournament Mode Kombat Kode (111-111)

Eliminates the meter gain for First Hit, removes foreground objects, Toasty! (and the meter gain from it), and probably other things I didn't notice.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Unicorn said:
I think he means the Tournament Mode Kombat Kode (111-111)

Eliminates the meter gain for First Hit, removes foreground objects, Toasty! (and the meter gain from it), and probably other things I didn't notice.
they should add an option to permanently enable some of the kombat codes.

Sblargh said:
I think they are a bit ridiculous too, but Sonya aside, if I were Shao Kahn, I too would order every woman to dress that way. I mean, it is safe to assume outworld is mysoginist x 1000, right?
That's a really good way of looking at it/justifying it. That said, I just hope that they put out some more respectfull outfits for Kitana, Sindel, and Jade. Mileena is a skank and Sheeva's a barbarian so those are cool. I think Sonya's default could have had a tanktop on under the vest and it would have been perfect.

Rattles

Anyone know if the costume codes work worldwide? I want to sell my Reptile code on Ebay but I think its a UK version.

edit: This is ps3 btw.

derFeef

*sigh* I give up on Reptile. Can't even beat medium Ladder with him while blastin through it with Smoke or Sub Zero even on the higher difficulties.

fernoca

NumSkull- said:
Anyone know if the costume codes work worldwide? I want to sell my Reptile code on Ebay but I think its a UK version.

edit: This is ps3 btw.
You think or you know? :p
But yeah..codes are region free, well the ones I've used for other games.

Though with PSN down, it will be hard for some to confirm after purchasing.

Rattles

fernoca said:
You think or you know? :p
But yeah..codes are region free, well the ones I've used for other games.

Though with PSN down, it will be hard for some to confirm after purchasing.
Nice! will put it up when psn is back up, hopefully the codes will be rarer And i'll get my one hundred dollars
RMDYU.jpg

Khezu

I know its to early to talk about character balance, but man, baraka sucks, and is probably the worst character in the game. Dude seriously feels like an after thought and has very little going for him.

Anyway, anyone playing 2v2? I haven't really tried it much outside a few ladder runs. Does it seem like a legitimate competitive mode or just something for fun on the side?

UrbanRats

This finally came in the mail today!
Amazing so far.
Already got all the alternative costumes and a few extra fatalities.
Since i'm a noob with beat 'em ups, i'm happy this game is very easy with noobs, having a lot of options.

evil ways

derFeef said:
*sigh* I give up on Reptile. Can't even beat medium Ladder with him while blastin through it with Smoke or Sub Zero even on the higher difficulties.
Weird, of all the characters besides Sonya, Reptile is my favorite. He's the one I have the least trouble with on juggles and combos. Haven't tried Ermac yet.

derFeef

evil ways said:
Weird, of all the characters besides Sonya, Reptile is my favorite. He's the one I have the least trouble with on juggles and combos. Haven't tried Ermac yet.
I just can not get the moves out, don't ask me why. I get rushed down very fast and I feel like I have nothing to counter. With smoke and subby I can easily escape and even turn the battle. I want to like Reptile, but I just can't play him.

Maybe it will be different online, but I have yet to play against humans ;)

notworksafe

Played some 2v2 online in a tag team with a friend. I think 2v2 is the retarded brother of ranked play.

We went 22-5 with me playing normally (Sonya) and him doing nothing but Raiden's superman move. Got a few rage quits along the way as well. :D

sleepykyo said:
TNA, TNA, TNA

Wait, wrong chant. Appearance wise I like the rendered models. Except the female faces and the dreads on the cyber characters (it makes them look like rejected predator redesigns).

The Cyborgs have always been like that. One of Cyrax's MK3 fatalities was a homage to the ending of Predator. He even did the identical laugh.
Cyber Sub-Zero has a similar one in this game

Chorazin said:

LMAO

She should be shown Jade's victory dance so that he can be disciplined appropriately

FINALBOSS

Banned
Khezu said:
I know its to early to talk about character balance, but man, baraka sucks, and is probably the worst character in the game. Dude seriously feels like an after thought and has very little going for him.

Anyway, anyone playing 2v2? I haven't really tried it much outside a few ladder runs. Does it seem like a legitimate competitive mode or just something for fun on the side?

This x 1000

What's with some combo starters in this game requiring 2 buttons pressed together at the same time? The fuck is that? Baraka has a bunch of those.

RyuHayate

I just finished the story mode and you guys were right:
Shao Kahn is one cheap bastard!

Regardless of how frustrated I was during that last fight, this is without a doubt the most fun I've had a with a fighter this generation. Ed Boon and co. really deserve a standing ovation for what they've accomplished here.

DasRaven

[X] Completed Story - Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the final battle. Took an hour of retries! That super armor is so lame.

Next up:
[] Complete Tower
[] Unlock Krypt
[] Finish all Ladders (Hard, 1 Round)
[] Choose main character, play online.

Hopefully, there will be a netcode patch and functional PSN by then. I'd also love to see test-your-luck online player matches as well.

fernoca

DasRaven said:
Next up:
If you want to cut time (even more), do Tag Ladder. ;)
It might only show one ending, but you get both endings and it counts for the "finish ladder with everyone" achievement/trophy.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
DasRaven said:
[X] Completed Story - Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the final battle. Took an hour of retries! That super armor is so lame.

Next up:
[] Complete Tower
[] Unlock Krypt
[] Choose main character, play online.

Hopefully, there will be a netcode patch and functional PSN by then. I'd also love to see test-your-luck online player matches as well.

Don't unlock the krpt as you go through the tower. You'll want some money saved up in case you want to skip any of the upper 200s. I won't spoil it but a couple of them are ridiculous.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Darklord said:
Because only one of those might cause someone to become aroused and start rubbing on their genitals. Well, let's be honest. They both probably do, but only one of them should. Games carry the stigma that they're meant for children even though the statistics show otherwise. Combine all that with America's puritanical roots and you get a recipe for moral outrage over female skin. There's some weird loophole for when people are showing skin for science but games aren't covered.

Why is Baraka so low tier? Not enough options? Low damage?

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
How exactly does Johnny's x-ray work? Do you activate it at the beginning of an opponent's attack or in the middle like a breaker?

it's a counter...you activate it hoping something attacks you. When/if they do, it counters and attacks.

mrplaid

Not sure if I was hallucinating, but I'm pretty sure I somehow selected THIS GUY in the character select menu. What might I have done to make a placeholder sprite show up? Some kind of weird random select thingie? $10 jug of vodka I was drinking at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom