• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reverend green

Neo Member
alright, so i suck at fighting games but i still usually have a good time with them. i haven't played one in a while (SF4 was the last one i got), but there is something drawing me to this game. do you guys think I would be able to play it with relative ease while still enjoying myself?

FINALBOSS

Banned
reverend green said:
alright, so i suck at fighting games but i still usually have a good time with them. i haven't played one in a while (SF4 was the last one i got), but there is something drawing me to this game. do you guys think I would be able to play it with relative ease while still enjoying myself?

Absolutely.

reverend green

Neo Member
FINALBOSS said:
Absolutely.
thats what i like to here. maybe its all the single player stuff, or just how awesome everything looks in the game (especially the fatalities oh man) but i can't just resist this game.

edit: fuck it, bought it.

fernoca

Yeah, the game's great fun. Even if you're not aiming to be really good at it or just don't want to get really into it. The combos are easy to do, there's a lot of content for you to do and things like Test your Luck are great-fun party modes.

I mean, who doesn't love an armless/headless/rainbow colored-blood fight? XD

UrbanRats

reverend green said:
thats what i like to here. maybe its all the single player stuff, or just how awesome everything looks in the game (especially the fatalities oh man) but i can't just resist this game.

edit: fuck it, bought it.
I'm a total failure at beat 'em ups, but this game got an incredibly low entry level, with some great tutorials and training modes.
Then you can pump up the difficulty slowly to the top.

FINALBOSS

Banned
fernoca said:
Yeah, the game's great fun. Even if you're not aiming to be really good at it or just don't want to get really into it. The combos are easy to do, there's a lot of content for you to do and things like Test your Luck are great-fun party modes.

I mean, who doesn't love an armless/headless/rainbow colored-blood fight? XD

Hey you watch your mouth. The combo I posted on the top of the page took me forever :(

aristotle

FINALBOSS said:
Thanks man <3

Only took me about an hour to get the concept down...and another half hour to finally get the dash into the last 2 kicks and superman properly :(

Great looking combo. Too bad the recording doesn't capture the moves for some reason in that mode. I just finally got past the Raiden challenges in the tower. No skipping yet.

Gin

The Lamonster said:
I'd like classic SOUND EFFECTS as DLC.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go boot up UMK3 and play a match with Liu Kang vs. Liu Kang with your TV volume maxed.

not normally a fan of dlc - but if they do this.. day fucking 1
i love the sound effects from the older games..

VariantX

anyone else having issues with freezing in this game? Its frozen on me at least 6 times today alone. It happens constantly when im working my way up the challenge tower or whenever im on the room list online.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Master Thespian said:
Think CPU Shao Kahn is bad? Not as bad as he'd be controlled by a human player:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUruDlznzzY

Shao Kahn, Goro, and Kintaro are all playable through a hack. Interestingly enough, they all have full bios in Krypt as well...

That combo was pro as hell.

It's weird that they have bios, and I've seen the babalities on goro and kintaro too. Also can Shao Kahn just keep using the hammer? It seems like it keeps restunning when the AI does it.

FINALBOSS

Banned
aristotle said:
Great looking combo. Too bad the recording doesn't capture the moves for some reason in that mode. I just finally got past the Raiden challenges in the tower. No skipping yet.

I turned it off to clean up the video a little bit. I can type it out if you want :D

zlatko

Banned
fernoca said:
:p
Still... THE COMBOS ARE EASY TO DO
:p

I actually like how the combos work in this game quite a lot. I think it opens up the playing field to this idea of, well the better player will be the guy who can open the other up the best. My example is like in SSF4 and the character Crimson Viper who is cool as shit, but requires Jesus' hands to be proficient with.

There's definitely still characters that require more skill than others to use in terms of execution in MK, but the bar is pretty low once you start to commit yourself to the character. Then again I play EasyMac so I don't know what a hard combo looks like in MK. :D

Matchew

Is there a good arcade stick to play with this game under $100? I thought I could use the 360 controller but damn its horrible.

Nemesis_

Just to iterate, I've got a Jade PS3 code extra.

If anyone has a 360 version code for any costume at all, please let me know and I will be happy to trade it.

Cheers!

zlatko

Banned
SFGamer said:
Is there a good arcade stick to play with this game under $100? I thought I could use the 360 controller but damn its horrible.

Madcatz TE's go for $99.99 and are the best in the business. Worth every red cent. Check out madcatz's site, and there might even be a promo running right now since a tournament is going on this weekend.

Nemesis_

GABDEG said:
Is it bad that I'm already stuck as Liu Kang against Scorpion and Quan Chi.

Yeah, this was the first point I got stuck at. This is where I learnt to stop mashing and really put some effort into my inputs.

Love this game. So fun. I hope the DLC is plentiful. The package itself is already so full and adding to it can only make it better

MYE

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh, fucking shit mail delivery services, failing on me again.
I thought i was gonna play this during my extended weekend D:

BTW, anything wrong with the PS3 version? Someone said the 360 version looks crisper but looking at the PSN demo, the damn game looks as crisp and vibrant as they come.

MYE said:

BTW, anything wrong with the PS3 version? Someone said the 360 version looks crisper but looking at the PSN demo, the damn game looks as crisp and vibrant as they come.

That person was me. ;) I have played the demo on my PS3 and it looks good enough. But the 360 version looks sharper to me, has better colors/contrast (yes, UE3 can do colors, lol...), just a cleaner picture. But if you only have a PS3, then go for it. This game is really good and fun to play.

Xater

GANGSTERKILLER said:
That person was me. ;) I have played the demo on my PS3 and it looks good enough. But the 360 version looks sharper to me, has better colors/contrast (yes, UE3 can do colors, lol...), just a cleaner picture. But if you only have a PS3, then go for it. This game is really good and fun to play.

That sounds more like the typical difference in contrast output of both consoles. Change your TV settings for the PS3.

MYE said:

The ps3's radeon graphics chip makes ps3 games slightly washed out, it's odd because the radeon chip also did this with xbox 1.

You either have to change some HDMI setting or tv setting slightly.

Xater said:
That sounds more like the typical difference in contrast output of both consoles. Change your TV settings for the PS3.

I have adjust my TV settings for the PS3 demo and RGB Full Range is always on. But that doesn't make any difference. 360 version with the UE3 looks better to my eyes.

Diablohead said:
The ps3's radeon graphics chip makes ps3 games slightly washed out, it's odd because the radeon chip also did this with xbox 1.

You either have to change some HDMI setting or tv setting slightly.

PS3 has the RSX GPU from Nvidia. Xbox 360 has the ATI Xenos GPU. And the Xbox 1 (Nvidia/Microsoft GPU) had the sharpest overall picture quality of all the previous consoles... along with the SEGA Dreamcast.

MYE said:

If you Calibrate your TV properly both versions should look the same. If you have an LG tv ISF calibration is built in, otherwise look for an ISF calibration DVD.

TheBez

I'm not a huge fighting game fan and I'm definitely not good at them. But I've had fun with DOA 4, MK v DCU, Soul Calibur, etc. Is this noob friendly? The challenge tower and story have me intrigued but is it enough content if I don't venture very far into online territory? I also have no friends who really play this.

luffeN

Any way to get to a mad catz te stick in Europe? I only have the wireless one which came with Tekken 6 (was like 40 euros on sale) but the stick is relatively loose.

TheBez said:
I'm not a huge fighting game fan and I'm definitely not good at them. But I've had fun with DOA 4, MK v DCU, Soul Calibur, etc. Is this noob friendly? The challenge tower and story have me intrigued but is it enough content if I don't venture very far into online territory? I also have no friends who really play this.

I think Story + Challenge Tower + Ladder for every character is quite a bit of content. Sucks that you don't have any friends who would play it. Offline, you can play tag ladder which is a fun way to have cooperative play with a friend.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Watched PerfectLegend play today at PowerUp.

I can say this... after watching all the live streams up until now.

People are playing the game wrong (competitively).

I'm learning so much here!

GrayFoxPL

FINALBOSS said:
Jax too...he blows :(

Lol, Jax? He owns. Has answer to everything, projectile, air throw, way too damaging throws and chains. Definitely not shit. And Barraka deserved the nerf, he was top in mk2, mkd, mkvsdc. Enough is enough. As I love low tiers I'll be playing as him gladly.

Myomoto said:
It's not an exploit, and you can just back and repeat any of the challenges.

Doesn't work (for me). Your koin count doesn't increase when you repeat this challenge (even though koins are flying out of your opponent)

GrayFoxPL said:
Lol, Jax? He owns. Has answer to everything, projectile, air throw, way too damaging throws and chains. Definitely not shit. And Barraka deserved the nerf, he was top in mk2, mkd, mkvsdc. Enough is enough. As I love low tiers I'll be playing as him gladly.
Reason why he is not so great is because mostly everything he does is not safe plus his ground slam needs to be sped up a tad.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
djkimothy said:
I already completed the tower challenge. Can I still exploit?
Myomoto said:
It's not an exploit, and you can just back and repeat any of the challenges.
You have to have not completed the challenge for this to work. Once you complete the challenge it never registers new coins for that challenge. If that were the case then you could farm coins on any challenge.

GhostRidah said:
Reason why he is not so great is because mostly everything he does is not safe plus his ground slam needs to be sped up a tad.
This + lower combo potential. I'm fine with the combo stuff, just gimme a better ground pound and we're set.

Anyanka

GrayFoxPL said:

I played a lot of MKDC against the top players and never heard of anyone who'd put Baraka near top and this is literally the first time in 20 years anyone has called MK 2 Baraka top. If anything in recent years I've seen MK2 players thinking he might be worse than Reptile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom