• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
MYE said:
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh, fucking shit mail delivery services, failing on me again.
I thought i was gonna play this during my extended weekend D:

BTW, anything wrong with the PS3 version? Someone said the 360 version looks crisper but looking at the PSN demo, the damn game looks as crisp and vibrant as they come.

The 360 version does look better than the PS3 version, but only by a little bit. Not enough to make any kind of real difference.

The biggest difference I have found is in the online play (well, pre-PSN haxxor-crash). It sucks on PSN and is decent-at-best on 360. They are going to be patching the online within a few weeks though.

Lyte Edge

bitoriginal said:
Anyone else getting server not available on 360? I've backed out a couple of times.

Again, this is a known and unfortunate re-occurring issue. You may need to clear your 360 cache or restart the game once or twice if that doesn't work.

That online patch needs to hit sooner rather than later!

bitoriginal

Lyte Edge said:
Again, this is a known and unfortunate re-occurring issue. You may need to clear your 360 cache or restart the game once or twice if that doesn't work.

That online patch needs to hit sooner rather than later!

Hmm, weird, the rooms don't seem to be appearing but I can get into a ranked match. Cleared the cache and restarted as mentioned. I'll give it some time and see if it's still happening. So far I actually think the online portion of the game runs okay, this is my first issue. Love the functions and think they've done really well with the social aspects.

I'm a total fighting game noob fir life, I'm terrible at them but find them really fun. Just got MK and I find the ai challenging on normal difficulty. Will I be miserable playing online? Is there skill based matchmaking in ranked?

Lyte Edge

bitoriginal said:
Hmm, weird, the rooms don't seem to be appearing but I can get into a ranked match. Cleared the cache and restarted as mentioned. I'll give it some time and see if it's still happening. So far I actually think the online portion of the game runs okay, this is my first issue. Love the functions and think they've done really well with the social aspects.

I have had numerous issues with the room servers, matches not starting, disconnects when rematching (on PS3, not 360), and have found the overall experience to be in major need of improvement. It's hard to do a lot of the more in-depth combos online, and everything seems to end up just devolving into special moves and jump kicks/sweeps/uppercuts. It's like people are playing Mortal Kombat 1, lol.

This game also has the worst amount of rage-quitters that I have ever seen. Especially if you pick a character who's good with zoning and don't let the opponent get near you. It would probably help if these types of players didn't just try spamming their teleports with Scorpion, Smoke, and the like, then whine when they get punished for it, but I guess that's asking too much. :p They get pissed off and rage out. You'd think after their fifth attempt at doing the same "tactic" again, they'd try something else, but...nope.

IMO this game has the worst net code of any of the fighting games currently out. It's good enough that I can still have fun with it, but not enough that I can take it seriously in its currently state. Right now I'm taking a break from the online play and am going through story mode. It's good stuff.

kamspy

Is there a small, spiral bound guide for this game like there was for Bad Company 2? That was the best idea for a guide ever.

FINALBOSS

Banned
MrCompletely said:
I'm a total fighting game noob fir life, I'm terrible at them but find them really fun. Just got MK and I find the ai challenging on normal difficulty. Will I be miserable playing online? Is there skill based matchmaking in ranked?

I believe so.

You'll be fine. I'm a total fighting game newb too. I mean, I played MK1-3 and some SF back on the SNES days...but nothing since then. I've picked up MK quite nicely. It's just...fun.

kamspy said:
Is there a small, spiral bound guide for this game like there was for Bad Company 2? That was the best idea for a guide ever.

Download Prima guide, put on iPad...success!

Frankfurt

Banned
Everyone playing story mode on Hard? On Medium whenever it was a 1vs2 or 1vs3 or a boss match I just jumped, BP on their backs, uppercut the entire round. Easy as pie if you cheap it out. Was kinda baffled, as I braced myself for pain... And it never came. And I'm mediocre at best right now. Even Ladder is just as easy.

Played 3 online matches. Pretty laggy, but hey... 360 Gamertag is Beto Machado.

I'm playing the story on Medium and usually have to replay a few of the tag team matches a few times. When I get a character who teleports around I usually try not to just spam that and upper cut them as it would get old.

W Hudson

Arde5643 said:
Tom Brady's sub zero is sick : Kabal v Sub Zero

I can't wait to see MK9 later on.

Haven't caught much of the stream any mention of when they will be showing MK9? And yeah I was surprised at T Brady's Sub Zero I don't think that much of him but he looks awesome in that video

kamspy

FINALBOSS said:
Download Prima guide, put on iPad...success!

No iPad here, but there's a decent Android app made by some guy at SRK. It's $0.99 and it's usable. My screen is on the small side and some of the buttons are hard to read, since he made little FP, BP, FK, BK icons instead of using PS360 button icons.

It's a buck well spent though.

Mr_eX

I just beat someone in a ranked match and all I heard coming through a mic was a crying baby. It was kind of disturbing.

Sblargh

Banned
Talking about babality and disturbing. Me and the girlfriend.
*Babality on the acid pool stage*
Me: Haha! Look, Babality!
Her: You know what would be cool? If you could do a Babality and then throw the baby on the acid pool.
Me: ...
I don't think we're ever having kids lol. :(

W Hudson

notworksafe said:
Got it. Impressive guide so far. Supposedly juggle combos and such are being added according to the startup message.

Yeah what I like is that the guide will continuously update itself you don't have to wait for an update to come through the App Store. For anyone with an iPhone/iPod who is looking for a guide its really a worthwhile purchase.

Unicorn

Sblargh said:
Talking about babality and disturbing. Me and the girlfriend.
*Babality on the acid pool stage*
Me: Haha! Look, Babality!
Her: You know what would be cool? If you could do a Babality and then throw the baby on the acid pool.
Me: ...
I don't think we're ever having kids lol. :(
A keeper.

Lyonaz

Finally finished the 300 tower challenge (without skipping a single one) and man that last fight was kinda easy. I expected some kind of bullshit like flawless victory on all your opponents or something.
The Tower was time consuming though, took me like 3 days playing and some of those challenges were total bullshit.
I hate stage hazards, flames erupting from the ground and enemy just spamming teleport kicks, fuck you Quan-chi!!!

Btw I totally love this game :p
If only PSN was up again.

Weird. I just gave Goro a Babality mid battle in the 2nd round. Surprised that you can do do it mid fight. Would be awesome if you can do fatalities during battle for ultimate bragging rights.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Host Samurai said:
Weird. I just gave Goro a Babality mid battle in the 2nd round. Surprised that you can do do it mid fight. Would be awesome if you can do fatalities during battle for ultimate bragging rights.
what? mid battle?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Duress said:
Shang Tsung's first fatality seems like a cop out.
The one where he turns into a clown and splits the opponents wig with a revolver? The cop out happened when they censored it in MK v DC.

Duress said:
Shang Tsung's first fatality seems like a cop out.

it's comes across as a retread, but at the same time I can see a scenario where Boon and Co. really loved it and wanted to be able to show it "complete" in a game, moeso than just pure laziness.

Frankfurt

Banned
This game made me put the Gears 3 beta and Alan Wake aside. It's just too damn good. The more I play the more I like it. Online is balls, but I still have a lot of Tower and Ladders to go through, plus a lot of practice.

Went into practice with Sub and Nightwolf (they really made Nightwolf and Striker look like bad-asses in this game - quite a feat), and you can just see the combos in your head before you do them. The juggles specially are very intuitive. Lots of fun.

I practiced over Kitana and Mileena, and they got completely covered in blood by the time I was done. Only the back of Kitana's legs and her hands weren't fully covered in blood. Made me wish we got the rumored "naked but covered in blood" outfit for Mileena instead of the lame Leeloo one we got.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Bloody hell. A lapsed MK fan here, but very blown away by your effort for an OP. What exclusive stuff did the 360 version get, if anything?

fernoca

boutrosinit said:
Bloody hell. A lapsed MK fan here, but very blown away by your effort for an OP. What exclusive stuff did the 360 version get, if anything?
Thanks. :)
Online multiplayer is currently exclusive to the Xbox 360. :p

That aside, the only thing the Xbox 360 got as an actual exclusive was Avatar support; for the King of the Hill Mode.

Weenerz

Banned
Was just playing through ladder play using Ermac, performed my first ever babality and bam, 360 hard locks. Common with MK? The xbox is a week old.

Sblargh

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
wow, the high level sub zero players look so badass!! I thought everyone was sayin he is too slow.

He is slow, but sub zero's point is not rushing, it is controlling the space with clone and slide, then punishing the few options left with bp,bp, iceball combos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom