• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankfurt

Banned
There are are so many unique winposes on the Tower, they should've used them on versus and ladder too.

Sheeva's x-ray doesn't always work on Kintaro and Khan. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes they flip back in the air but she doesn't curbstomp them.

Xevren

Frankfurt said:
There are are so many unique winposes on the Tower, they should've used them on versus and ladder too.

What's funny is that Kano does something if he wins in the Tower, but in Ladder he doesn't even have a winpose. He just stands there.

.GqueB. said:
Yea I just hit that too and was genuinely surprised. Im stuck on a fight a little after that though. I cant use Lui Kang for shit.
I really got into Liu Kang a bit and was having some good success with him.

One thing is his X-Ray sucks for damage - you're better off Breaking or enhancing Bicycle Kick. Speaking of which, Bicycle Kick (Back Back Forward BK) is god amazing, especially if you enhance it, it's very easily abusable against the AI. If they block you get tons of special meter to since it's so many hits.

What's great though is, even though is X-Ray sucks his FP BP FK combo is one of my favorite in the game, it'll bounce them up in the air and let you continue a new combo - the best one being FP FP BK -- or better yet a Bicycle Kick. It's literally a over a good 25% damage, about as much as an XRay for only one bar, if any if you enhance Bicycle Kick. I have it on muscle memory (X O Triangle Back Back Forward O+R2).

Unicorn

Xevren said:
What's funny is that Kano does something if he wins in the Tower, but in Ladder he doesn't even have a winpose. He just stands there.
That's because Kano is a badass.

He's my main and I haven't seen anyone mention him. Been with him in the lab the past week.

he's got some quick easy combos, but nothing that breaks 40% that I've found, and if there is, it's not worth the input when I can do a really easy one for 33%.

KevinCow

Banned
Played this with a group of friends over the past few days, and at one point we decided to take a break and put in Deadly Alliance just for the hell of it. After fooling around in versus mode for a bit, I came to two conclusions:

1) Deadly Alliance is far more clunky, unresponsive, and generally terrible than I remember it being.

2) Everyone talks about Kenshi as the best post-MK3 character, some people talk about Frost, but Mavado is the actual coolest post-MK3 character and needs to be in MK10 or DLC or whatever.

Carnby

KevinCow said:
Played this with a group of friends over the past few days, and at one point we decided to take a break and put in Deadly Alliance just for the hell of it. After fooling around in versus mode for a bit, I came to two conclusions:

1) Deadly Alliance is far more clunky, unresponsive, and generally terrible than I remember it being.

2) Everyone talks about Kenshi as the best post-MK3 character, some people talk about Frost, but Mavado is the actual coolest post-MK3 character and needs to be in MK10 or DLC or whatever.

Mavado? The guy with the rubber bands? ugh. ...Not Quan Chi?

Yeah, so this happened last night:

768fa0f2.jpg

ba36f8aa.jpg

I don't think so... It's the silver controller with the D-pad that can rotate 90 degrees to pop out. My guess is that mechanism makes the whole thing a little more fragile. It's a shame too because I really liked it, well until it broke.

Neuromancer said:
I don't think so... It's the silver controller with the D-pad that can rotate 90 degrees to pop out. My guess is that mechanism makes the whole thing a little more fragile. It's a shame too because I really liked it, well until it broke.
Looks like you're not the only one who has had this happen:
5647839266_4b702300b4.jpg

(from Xbox forums)

edit: and heres another one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhVY2AjPR88

and another one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOfoC7Sxoaw&feature=related

another report here
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/990836-super-meat-boy/57759159

notworksafe said:
Didn't you just get that? RMA that shit!
No I've had it for awhile unfortunately. (I bought a fight pad today to replace it).

Hmm seems to be a widespread problem, but I don't think I have a receipt for it anymore though.

Maybe thats why they had them on sale? Perhaps releasing a new revision at E3 or phasing them out?

Neuromancer said:
No I've had it for awhile unfortunately. (I bought a fight pad today to replace it).

Hmm seems to be a widespread problem, but I don't think I have a receipt for it anymore though.

Give calling MS a shot. I've had them send me a free controller because I told them I had one that had a sticky button over the phone, and they didn't even verify it.

infinityBCRT said:
Maybe thats why they had them on sale? Perhaps releasing a new revision at E3 or phasing them out?

Give calling MS a shot. I've had them send me a free controller because I told them I had one that had a sticky button over the phone, and they didn't even verify it.
Oh wow. I'll try that right now.

KaYotiX

Banned
bitoriginal said:
Oh dear, looks like I'll hold out on getting that new controller. Thats a pretty serious problem for its main selling point.
I was just going to get one too. I guess I'll stick with the regular d-pad on the current controllers.

I suck at MK with my TE stick for whatever reason lol.

Nice, called Microsoft and they're giving me a new one (which I won't be using for fighting games any more!).

I do have to send the old one in which is kind of a hassle, oh well.

Blueblur1

Neuromancer said:
Nice, called Microsoft and they're giving me a new one (which I won't be using for fighting games any more!).

I do have to send the old one in which is kind of a hassle, oh well.
At least they're going to provide you with a new one. I'm honestly surprised.

Synless said:
I'm honestly shocked that MK9 has a better story than almost every fighting game I've ever played.
That's not the surprising part since it has been highly regarded in the past for its lore.

But the fact that it's better than some/most FPS and action adventure stories is shocking... or is it?

Finally got a chance to play the game today, as a friend of mine got it from the TRU sale. Really fun. I'm taking to Kung Lao really nicely, as I expected.

woodypop

Just picked up the game today. The back of the PS3 package says 4GB hard drive space required, but I don't think my PS3 performed an install, nor is there an option for it in the menu.

Is there an install (required or optional) for either the PS3 or 360 versions?

woodypop said:
Just picked up the game today. The back of the PS3 package says 4GB hard drive space required, but I don't think my PS3 performed an install, nor is there an option for it in the menu.

Is there an install (required or optional) for either the PS3 or 360 versions?

The game installs while you play.

Hex

Banned
On the tourney and vid chats it is amusing to see that the nastiness that MvC (and some SF IV) players have against MK never changes

Arde5643

Houston3000 said:
I really got into Liu Kang a bit and was having some good success with him.

One thing is his X-Ray sucks for damage - you're better off Breaking or enhancing Bicycle Kick. Speaking of which, Bicycle Kick (Back Back Forward BK) is god amazing, especially if you enhance it, it's very easily abusable against the AI. If they block you get tons of special meter to since it's so many hits.

What's great though is, even though is X-Ray sucks his FP BP FK combo is one of my favorite in the game, it'll bounce them up in the air and let you continue a new combo - the best one being FP FP BK -- or better yet a Bicycle Kick. It's literally a over a good 25% damage, about as much as an XRay for only one bar, if any if you enhance Bicycle Kick. I have it on muscle memory (X O Triangle Back Back Forward O+R2).
You can combo after his x-ray for a good 49% damage. At the corner you can get 55%.

Arde5643 said:
You can combo after his x-ray for a good 49% damage. At the corner you can get 55%.
Yeah, that's true. It's one of the few X-Rays that leaves the opponent up in the air, I haven't experimented with that aspect too much but it makes total sense. If you can time the enhanced Dragon Kick correctly after the BP FP FK combo you're still doing 30% though with only 1 bar still. It's definitely a safer bet than blowing your load on an easily blockable X-Ray since you can easily stop your combo if it's getting blocked after the first punch or two and go into strong sweep with Down Right BP BP or body slam by replacing that last BP with FK if they're blocking low.

I'm really over-analyzing it though considering I'm just fighting the AI. I might be missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom