• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synless

The Lamonster said:
Fun fact: Noob's alt and Sub's alt are basically the same costume, just different colors (because it's the same person, just different time periods).
They are the same person!?!?

Synless said:
http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Sub-Zero
There are in fact two incarnations of Sub-Zero, and they are siblings: the older brother Bi-Han, and younger brother Kuai Liang.

Bi-Han appeared as Sub-Zero in the first Mortal Kombat, while Kuai Liang went by the codename "Tundra". After Bi-Han was killed by Scorpion during the tournament, Kuai Liang replaced him for the rest of the games.

Bi-Han later became the undead Netherrealm wraith, Noob Saibot.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
LordPhoque said:
Fuck the last boss of story mode. Been fighting him for 30mns, didn't win a single round. Raiden is a lame ass character.

Knock him down, run next to him, teleport right as he gets up. He will try to attack you almost every single time on wakeup. Uppercut, X-ray, or Superman to beat him. Just watch out for his ridiculous 50%+ bullshit x-ray and you should be fine.

Jrmint

LordPhoque said:
Fuck the last boss of story mode. Been fighting him for 30mns, didn't win a single round. Raiden is a lame ass character.
This is what I found after 2 hours and a broken dualshock 3.

Teleport and uppercut only after a hammer throw or a taunt. If you do it during a spear throw he'll turn around and rock you.

You'll get it eventually with this strat.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Houston3000 said:
I haven't finished the story but isn't Shao Kahn the last boss? Is he different then the Arcade Ladder version?
He's a pure bitch. I know the strategy for beating him but I just fuck up the execution and he'll catch me with some bullshit move that kills my health.

The Lamonster said:
I just put that shit on Beginner haha
They should have made Beginner mode for Beginners. The AI in story mode is so awkward, I swear. You'll have fights where the CPU just stands there and then others where they teleport constantly and throw out a bunch of combos.

Jrmint

Chamber - It just gets tougher as you go along, you can tell because the rewards of the points increases as you go along.

The entire final chapter is pretty challenging.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The difficulty spikes seemed random to me but I guess a big part of that is my being scrub status with every character but Sub-Zero.

Up until Shao Kahn, I'd say the hardest fight in this game was the Scorpion/Quan Chi 2 v 1.

y2dvd said:
Mind blown by Sub-Zero/Noob Saibot. What game was that official in?
Became official in Deception but I'm certain it was insinuated long before that.

Ribbon

I really liked Sub Zeros MKD costume. The fur and shades of blue really fit him. But I will definitely buy whatever costume DLC they produce.

Ribbon said:
I really liked Sub Zeros MKD costume. The fur and shades of blue really fit him. But I will definitely buy whatever costume DLC they produce.

no thanks to Shredder Sub. I'll take his MK3 costume over that one.

Nemesis_

Oh my fucking god.

I completed Challenge Tower. So satisfying. Nothing skipped.

The reward though, it's nowhere near as awesome as Boon claimed. Unless he's assuming we're all 12 now. >_>

NeonZ

Chamber said:
Became official in Deception but I'm certain it was insinuated long before that.

I'm pretty sure that idea was completely introduced in that game. There were a few similarities before, but I guess they were probably just coincidences and only around due to general recycling involving the character:

1-One of Noob's fatalities in MK4's was Sub-Zero's (the other was Reiko's).

2-Noob's fighting stance in MK2 was Sub-Zero's (although he attacks with Scorpion's spear).

dagZ

i'm thinking about getting this, but unsure of what console I should get it for. Never played a MK game on xbox, so I was leaning towards PS3. the controller is what is making the decision.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
dagZ said:
i'm thinking about getting this, but unsure of what console I should get it for. Never played a MK game on xbox, so I was leaning towards PS3. the controller is what is making the decision.

You can always go with a joystick or fight pad for either system, but I tried MK on 360 with a regular controller over the weekend and found it perfectly-playable. Still going to stick with a fight pad for it though!

Synless said:

Bi-Han - original Sub-Zero, killed Scorpion before MK1. Scorpion then killed him during the first MK tournament. Quan Chi revives Bi-Han and he reappears as Noob Saibot. He appears as Sub-Zero in MK1, UMK3 (masked) and MK9 (alternate Sub-Zero costume).

Kuai-Liang - brother of Sub-Zero and friend of Smoke. Goes to Outworld during the second tournament to find out the fate of Bi-Han and hunt his killer. Assumes the identity of his brother as Sub-Zero. He first appears as Sub-Zero in MK2. In the original timeline he generally was the Sub-Zero we saw in most of the games (MK2-MK7). In MK9 he is represented by the main Sub-Zero costume
and as Cyber Sub-Zero after he was captured by the Lin Kuei

RelentlessRolento said:
Hey, anyone know how the hell to do fatalities that have Up commands?

I can't do Stryker's stage fatality at all:

Forward, Up, Up, [BK]
hold down block, do the commands, let go of block and press it again.

Double D

RelentlessRolento said:
Hey, anyone know how the hell to do fatalities that have Up commands?

I can't do Stryker's stage fatality at all:

Forward, Up, Up, [BK]

Well, I just got it yesterday, so I can't tell you for sure, but in the days of old, you held 'block'.

Diablohead said:
hold down block, do the commands, let go of block and press it again.

K I did that but must have been doing it wrong. Press what again though.

Also, hoping Havok is DLC since he would be perfect for this game primarily due to the SFX in the game.

infinityBCRT said:
Bi-Han - original Sub-Zero killed Scorpion before MK1, even though it was actually Quan Chi who killed Scorpion's family.Scorpion then killed him during the first MK tournament. Quan Chi revives Bi-Han and he reappears as Noob Saibot. He appears as Sub-Zero in MK1, UMK3 (masked) and MK9 (alternate Sub-Zero costume).

Kuai-Liang - brother of Sub-Zero and friend of Smoke. Goes to Outworld during the second tournament to find out the fate of Bi-Han and hunt his killer. Assumes the identity of his brother as Sub-Zero. He first appears as Sub-Zero in MK2. In the original timeline he generally was the Sub-Zero we saw in most of the games (MK2-MK7). In MK9 he is represented by the main Sub-Zero costume
and as Cyber Sub-Zero after he was captured by the Lin Kuei

Corrected a tiny bit there. The fact that
this particular line in the story didn't change at all, other than Scorpion seeming to be ashamed of himself after realizing what he had done
was actually really good, IMO, since it shows that not every single thing about the original story was changed.

EDIT: corrected myself! I got a couple of facts mixed up, but the family thing needed a bit of clarification, I think.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
NeonZ said:
I'm pretty sure that idea was completely introduced in that game. There were a few similarities before, but I guess they were probably just coincidences and only around due to general recycling involving the character:

1-One of Noob's fatalities in MK4's was Sub-Zero's (the other was Reiko's).

2-Noob's fighting stance in MK2 was Sub-Zero's (although he attacks with Scorpion's spear).
Is that so? For some reason, I remember being totally unsurprised when Bi-Han was revealed as Noob.

Double D

So I was crazy into MK, but must I must have just hit an age where I didn't give a shit after 3. I think I rented 4 for a weekend or something. Anyways, some of this crap must have been addressed after 3. Like I have no idea why Sektor and Cyrax are just some ninjas. Last I checked they were robots. Also, I've got to look up the lineage of the MK games. How the hell did we get to 9?

Xater

Vik_Vaughn said:
So I was crazy into MK, but must I must have just hit an age where I didn't give a shit after 3. I think I rented 4 for a weekend or something. Anyways, some of this crap must have been addressed after 3. Like I have no idea why Sektor and Cyrax are just some ninjas. Last I checked they were robots. Also, I've got to look up the lineage of the MK games. How the hell did we get to 9?

Everything you see in this game is a retelling of MK1 to MK3 just with some slight alterations because of the time travel stuff.

Interfectum

Vik_Vaughn said:

AFAIK the ninja robots have always been a part of the Lin Kuei. The MK9 story just fleshed it out better than the paragraph blurb on the arcade machines.

Nemesis_

Vik_Vaughn said:
But weren't Cyrax and Sektor robots in 3? I don't really remember story elements from those guys.

They were Lin Kuei. By the time MK3 happened, they had been cyber-ised. >_>

Basically we saw heaps more of them and their happenings during the first and second tournamnets in MK 2011.

Aske

Vik_Vaughn said:
But weren't Cyrax and Sektor robots in 3? I don't really remember story elements from those guys.

Cyborgs. They used to be human, and in MK9 we get to see them before they were transformed.

I love their human form alts in this game, but I felt that, of the robot forms, they only nailed Cyrax. Sektor doesn't do it for me, particularly since his design was used for the 'default' cyber-ninjas in story mode. That really took away from the uniqueness of his design. Cyrax and SZ are special - why is Sektor just like every other Lin Kuei, but with red paint?

Vik_Vaughn said:

Cyrax and Sektor were always Lin Kuei ninjas who were turned into cyborgs. That's why Sub-Zero appeared unmasked, he escaped to get away from becoming one of the cyborgs. Pretty sure that was established in MK3's storyline.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Directly from MK3, where Cyrax was introduced:

"Cyrax is unit LK-4D4, the second of three prototype cybernetic ninjas built by the Lin Kuei. Like his counterparts, his last program is to find and terminate the rouge ninja Sub-Zero. Without a soul, Cyrax goes undetected by Shao Kahn and remains a possible threat against his occupation of Earth."

Basically, it's all back-story, the Lin Kuei were converting their ninjas to cyborgs. Sub-Zero went rogue because he wanted to stay human. MK9 is the first game you play Cyrax and Sector in their original human form I think. (I never played Deadly Alliance or Deception)

derFeef said:
Hm, does this thing still have (analogue) triggers?
No, the triggers essentially become bumpers on the top, and the bumpers became the two buttons on the right side. I don't think the bumpers are pressure sensitive.

Skel said:
Just bought MK on bluray (best movie ever).

Is the Jade costume still worth anything?
I bought it too- still holds up!

My Jade costume only sold for $3 on eBay. =(

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Is unmasked Sub-Zero an alt costume in this game?

Neuromancer said:
No, the triggers essentially become bumpers on the top, and the bumpers became the two buttons on the right side. I don't think the bumpers are pressure sensitive.

I bought it too- still holds up!

My Jade costume only sold for $3 on eBay. =(

I would've expected that. As you can just pick up the DVD to get it. The ones that are going for crazy prices are the retailer exclusive codes.

infinityBCRT said:
I would've expected that. As you can just pick up the DVD to get it. The ones that are going for crazy prices are the retailer exclusive codes.
Yeah my Reptile went for over $50! Anyway I was bummed, I'd have rather given my Jade away for free here had I known.

GrayFoxPL

Xater said:
The ladder mode is not the official story. That's what story mode is for.

I'm really interested if story mode is considered cannon by NRS. Was it confirmed by Boon?
I mean
most good guys were killed off. Do they want repeat the mk3 situation? Controversial rooster wise?
I wouldn't bet that NRS wont just take few endings from ladder mode as a continuation in the sequel rather then continue from shocking story mode. Though I would love them to take that risk.

Bleepey said:
What's gonna happen to original Sub Zero in the next game?

You mean Noob?
He fell into soulnado that exploded. So either he died or he was cleansed and turned into "Good Saibot" lol.

Chamber said:
Up until Shao Kahn, I'd say the hardest fight in this game was the Scorpion/Quan Chi 2 v 1.

Ah hell. That's the fight I just stopped at. I hate the 2v1 fights. I end up just standing around blocking for most of the fight, waiting for them to hit me then I unleash a small combo then block some more. It sucks.

I really need to get proficient with the longer combos in this game. Bleh.

So far, though, the highlight of the game for me was doing the Challenge Tower Pit fatality level, and after you execute it you see the body at the bottom and hear Jax far off in the distance yelling "Get some!" I laughed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom