• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

I've seen a few Reptile players cancel their elbow dashes in the streams. How do they do that? Saw some other cancels as well.

KevinCow

Banned
SixStringPsycho said:
Fuck I had that screamer for the 2nd time in the krypt and scared me shitless now.
Also are X-ray chargeable? Sub Zero is.

Smoke's is. I don't know if charging does anything, but you can hold it for a bit before you release.

KevinCow said:
Smoke's is. I don't know if charging does anything, but you can hold it for a bit before you release.
Yeah thats my q. A friend of mine told me it does more damage. And I asked him how he was so sure, and he replied play the Tutorial which I did and makes no mention of neither being charged or making more damage if held down.

Also dunno if anyone tried this, but theres a challenge where it includes a classic sub zero to use. You have to perform a fatality at the end which is the normal one. But has anyone tried it by beating scorpion in a flawless victory and then performing the classic fatality?

Arde5643

Houston3000 said:
Yeah, that's true. It's one of the few X-Rays that leaves the opponent up in the air, I haven't experimented with that aspect too much but it makes total sense. If you can time the enhanced Dragon Kick correctly after the BP FP FK combo you're still doing 30% though with only 1 bar still. It's definitely a safer bet than blowing your load on an easily blockable X-Ray since you can easily stop your combo if it's getting blocked after the first punch or two and go into strong sweep with Down Right BP BP or body slam by replacing that last BP with FK if they're blocking low.

I'm really over-analyzing it though considering I'm just fighting the AI. I might be missing something.
You usually don't do a naked X-ray with Louie unless it's really obvious.

Part of the strong part of Louie's close game is that he can hit confirm from b+3,1,2 juggle into x-ray combo.

The combo is basically: b+3,1,2 ~ f+2,4 ~ x-ray ~ then follow up with a combo of your choice.

Btw: FP = 1, BP = 2, FK = 3, BK = 4.

KaYotiX said:
I was just going to get one too. I guess I'll stick with the regular d-pad on the current controllers.

I suck at MK with my TE stick for whatever reason lol.

Yeah, I think I play better with the controller as well.
I tried playing with the TE MK stick and it felt a bit uncomfortable to me for some reason.
I think the buttons are too much in the middle, prefer having less palm rest since my palm just ends up getting tired after hitting the plastic for a while. :p
For MK, I really do prefer the controller, it really makes perfect sense with the placement for X-rays and throws especially (I configured the stick to the classic arcade layout so the top two buttons ended up being the throw and they are pretty far apart).
I'm still going to keep my stick though because it looks damn cool.

derFeef

SixStringPsycho said:
Yeah thats my q. A friend of mine told me it does more damage. And I asked him how he was so sure, and he replied play the Tutorial which I did and makes no mention of neither being charged or making more damage if held down.
It does not do more damage, but it does have armor when charged.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Borrowed this last night, working my way through Story Mode, which is surprisingly amusing. Sonya's face is scary as hell though. Good thing her "jacket" is distracting.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Up to about Chapter 11, fighting some nasty dude
with four arms and looks like hes been crossbred with tiger or something
which is my first brick wall.

Oh and first Challenge I actually had difficulty with was #64 with Cyrax
think it was against Lu Kang, lose 2% of damage after each hit
. Sheesh, that one was a pain. I'm trying to do 25 Challenges per day, up to 75 now.

Darb

Neo Member
Unicorn said:
I've seen a few Reptile players cancel their elbow dashes in the streams. How do they do that? Saw some other cancels as well.

You can cancel the elbow dash just to get across the screen quickly by tapping back during the animation. The cooler use of it is to cancel the elbow dash into a NJ/FP and combo from there. Pretty tricky to pull off.

There are a few threads on Test Your Might about it.

derFeef

Can someone explain to me how Kano works? He seems to have just short combos with not much damage. Is he meant to be a poke charakter? I have the most troubles with him in Ladder.

zlatko

Banned
derFeef said:
Can someone explain to me how Kano works? He seems to have just short combos with not much damage. Is he meant to be a poke charakter? I have the most troubles with him in Ladder.

He's the Blanka of Mortal Kombat if that helps put things into perspective for you.

Xater

zlatko said:
He's the Blanka of Mortal Kombat if that helps put things into perspective for you.

Blanka with a projectile.

He actually kinda works for me but I also was a Blanka player in Super. ;)

My Kitana is probably still better. Can't wait for PSN to get up so I can finally take this game online.

zlatko

Banned
Xater said:
Blanka with a projectile.

He actually kinda works for me but I also was a Blanka player in Super. ;)

My Kitana is probably still better. Can't wait for PSN to get up so I can finally take this game online.

*shudders* Imagine if that's how he worked in Street Fighter too. Ugh.

But yeah Kano chucks knives, gets opponent to jump and punish with a ball, and I believe has a good mix up game in his block strings, and depending how dumb your opponent is you could just do balls to punish whatever they do.

y2dvd

Played against my buddy's Cyrax and Smoke. They were some cheap bastards!

Cyrax has an unblockable set up off a throw to do 40%+ more dmg. His xray has super armor also.

Smoke's overhead is so fast and his smoke projectile is hella safe. My buddy thinks he'll be the top of tiers, but said the tiers are hella close in this game.

zlatko said:

But yeah Kano chucks knives, gets opponent to jump and punish with a ball, and I believe has a good mix up game in his block strings, and depending how dumb your opponent is you could just do balls to punish whatever they do.
Kano has good single hit power too, his basic string of 3 hits can do some high percentage.

derFeef

zlatko said:
Not really, no :)

zlatko said:

Guess he is not for me then, too bad, I liked his attitude.

Double D

Finally got it yesterday on sale. Now I know how all the Street Fighter folks felt when 4 was released. This game feels so right. Played a couple quick matches and got right into the story. Have to say it is pretty damn awesome.

So, controller (360). I've seen the other thread, but it doesn't look like anyone has come up with THE controller to play with, and my regular 360 controller just isn't going to work out. Obviously that silver controller isn't the way to go. Should I just go with that mad catz SF controller or is there something better?

Xater

Raide said:
Not a huge fan of fighting games but I just watched all the endings for MK. The sequel is going to be weird. :D

The ladder mode is not the official story. That's what story mode is for.

Arde5643 said:
You usually don't do a naked X-ray with Louie unless it's really obvious.

Part of the strong part of Louie's close game is that he can hit confirm from b+3,1,2 juggle into x-ray combo.

The combo is basically: b+3,1,2 ~ f+2,4 ~ x-ray ~ then follow up with a combo of your choice.

Btw: FP = 1, BP = 2, FK = 3, BK = 4.
Yeah, I usually don't run the X-Ray naked but - that being said I don't do his X-Ray too often since with the AI it seems my strategy works well enough :-/. Maybe go up to Very Hard or just wait for PSN to come back up.

So after the X-Ray can you transition them into a 2,1,3 and keep them up in the air for a Bicycle Kick or 3,3,4? Sounds like that would be insane damage... if a little hard to pull of in real life. I assume the player would build up a Breaker at some point during that combo to though.

LordPhoque said:
Fuck the last boss of story mode. Been fighting him for 30mns, didn't win a single round. Raiden is a lame ass character.

Actually one of the best characters in the game. Doesn't matter who you take against Kahn in story mode, it will be a tough fight regardless.

Interfectum

Played online all weekend. I'm maining both Sub Zero and Ermac. I LOVE playing as Sub Zero because no one knows wtf to do against him.

Also, I'm sick of fighting against Scorpion. Newsflash Scorpion fanboys, your hellfire bullshit is old and if you spam it on me more than twice I'm going to cheese you with Sub like you wouldn't believe. ;p

Xater

LordPhoque said:
Fuck the last boss of story mode. Been fighting him for 30mns, didn't win a single round. Raiden is a lame ass character.

Lame him out with Raiden. The fight is actually pretty easy. Get some distance and wait for Shao Kahn to throw something. Then teleport and uppercut him. Repeat this until you have won.

Interfectum said:
Played online all weekend. I'm maining both Sub Zero and Ermac. I LOVE playing as Sub Zero because no one knows wtf to do against him.

Also, I'm sick of fighting against Scorpion. Newsflash Scorpion fanboys, your hellfire bullshit is old and if you spam it on me more than twice I'm going to cheese you with Sub like you wouldn't believe. ;p

I have to say I kinda like Scorpion, but because I heard that he is basically the Ken of MK online I am going with someone else. Not quite sure who yet. Favorites for me so far are Kitana, Noob, Ermac and Cyber Sub-Zero.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Xater said:
I have to say I kinda like Scorpion, but because I heard that he is basically the Ken of MK online I am going with someone else. Not quite sure who yet. Favorites for me so far are Kitana, Noob, Ermac and Cyber Sub-Zero.

He's just very easy to use on a basic level. He has a lot of tools, very fast chaining normals, and bootleg resets that can be difficult to block correctly online.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
LordPhoque said:

lol there's a challenge where you have to fight three Shao Khans in a row with one life bar

and it's not even one of the hardest challenges.

Sektor's second costume has wierd vertex deformation whenever he does his pre-fight intro.

I bet it's a PhysX related problem(It's the piece of cloth hanging from his belt, and probably animated by the physics engine).

Anybody else noticed this?

The Bookerman said:
Sektor's second costume has wierd vertex deformation whenever he does his pre-fight intro.

I bet it's a PhysX related problem(It's the piece of cloth hanging from his belt, and probably animated by the physics engine).

Anybody else noticed this?
Cyrax's human form costume has an issue with his dreadlocks before the round starts as well. They point straight up until you start moving around.

Master Thespian said:
Cyrax's human form costume has an issue with his dreadlocks before the round starts as well. They point straight up until you start moving around.

Yeah it's probably a PhysX problem. Physics engines are hit or miss and hard to work with.
But that's my experience with 'em.

So what's the character breakdown like online for those with 360s who can actually play?

- Scorpion's apparently overplayed.

I could be wrong but I would assume Smoke and Noob are pretty popular since they're so cheap. Are there a lot of Liu Kang players?

Interfectum

Houston3000 said:
So what's the character breakdown like online for those with 360s who can actually play?

- Scorpion's apparently overplayed.

I could be wrong but I would assume Smoke and Noob are pretty popular since they're so cheap. Are there a lot of Liu Kang players?

Out of the ~150 games I've played so far I would say it's 95% Scorpion, 4% Smoke, 1% everyone else. (obviously hyperbole on my part, but that's what it seems like)

If you get into King of the Hill matches it varies a lot more, though.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Finally got it yesterday on sale. Now I know how all the Street Fighter folks felt when 4 was released. This game feels so right. Played a couple quick matches and got right into the story. Have to say it is pretty damn awesome.

So, controller (360). I've seen the other thread, but it doesn't look like anyone has come up with THE controller to play with, and my regular 360 controller just isn't going to work out. Obviously that silver controller isn't the way to go. Should I just go with that mad catz SF controller or is there something better?
That's what I bought yesterday, well it's the same thing as the SF fightpad but with silly WWE stuff on it as the SF ones are harder to find in stores (not as hard online). It works really well.

Mad-Catz-Arcade-BrawlPad-for-Xbox360.jpg

IS the classic sub zero outfit you unlock from beating the ladder the same as the one was one of the pre0order DLCs? and the same one in the kyrpt?

Ken Masters said:
IS the classic sub zero outfit you unlock from beating the ladder the same as the one was one of the pre0order DLCs? and the same one in the kyrpt?
I think you're talking about his alt costume, which is not the same as his classic which is only available with a code right now.

Struct09

Ken Masters said:

Sub Zero's alt costume that you unlock through either the krypt or beating ladder is not his classic costume. There's no way to get the DLC costumes yet outside of having a code.

Interfectum

I would also add about playing Scorpion online: If you enjoy playing him, take him online. The only thing I would caution you about is, since he's played so much online people are used to countering him at this point. So make sure you excel with Scorpion before you go online because everyone already knows his bag of tricks.

Struct09

Interfectum said:
I would also add about playing Scorpion online: If you enjoy playing him, take him online. The only thing I would caution you about is, since he's played so much online people are used to countering him at this point. So make sure you excel with Scorpion before you go online because everyone already knows his bag of tricks.

Yeah, most Scorpion players online are extremely predictable. I've won most my matches against them because I've gotten so much practice at countering the common teleport + combo.

Fun fact: Noob's alt and Sub's alt are basically the same costume, just different colors (because it's the same person, just different time periods).

bumpkin

LordPhoque said:
I basically just spammed his jump kick & flying torpedo combo over and over. It was by no means easy -- I was constantly trying to catch him off-guard when I'd jump or capitalize on when he'd stop to taunt -- but it only took me maybe 4 or 5 times to take him down doing so.

Xater

Interfectum said:

Exactly. I am nowhere near a top tier player so I am not going to take my Scorpion online. Well except for casual matches. I am just grinding my way through the SP content right now. Only about 40 challenges left and I have done everything there is in MK. Then I should spend some time in training mode before I PSN goes back up. ;)

LordPhoque said:
Yeah it's tough. I stayed far away, spammed projectiles, and won by time out both rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom