• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LordPhoque said:
Fuck this last boss omg I'm selling this game I never faced such a cheap lame ass boss. Yea I mad.
Dude... If I can do it, I know you can. Just take some time off and try again later.

In other news, Raptr is reporting my playtime of this game at just over 24 hours! And I'm not even a 1/3 of the way through the challenge tower yet.

Struct09

Shao Khan is really easy to cheese, even in the final story mode fight. Cross-up BP, quick 3-hit punch-based combo, jump over him and repeat until he's dead.

If you're still consistently losing, keep retrying - the game eventually eases up on you.

The trick is to keep retrying until you win. Every time you die and retry, the difficulty is lowered a bit. If you give up and try again some other time, the difficulty resets itself.

infinityBCRT said:
If you try to learn how to beat him you'll be better in the end. You need to read and react.

Problem is I'm not comfortable at all with Raiden and I can't even manage to apply the teleport/uppercut technique without getting my ass kicked. Also the fact that you can't block his hammer throw is annoying as hell. And I don't see how applying cheap strategies against a cheap, poorly designed boss will learn me something about the game. I don't even use combos because they are worthless against this piece of shit. I'm okay with SF4 and even DOA4's bosses but this one is just plain garbage. Fuck you Netherealm.

LordAlu

LordPhoque said:
Problem is I'm not comfortable at all with Raiden and I can't even manage to apply the teleport/uppercut technique without getting my ass kicked. Also the fact that you can't block his hammer throw is annoying as hell. And I don't see how applying cheap strategies against a cheap, poorly designed boss will learn me something about the game. I don't even use combos because they are worthless against this piece of shit. I'm okay with SF4 and even DOA4's bosses but this one is just plain garbage. Fuck you Netherealm.
I don't uppercut. Wait for the attack startup and teleport (he can't stop the attack once the animation has started), do a quick combo, then do one jump away. By the time you land, he should be turning around, so you can prepare for the startup of the next attack. Rinse and repeat. I had this figured out about four matches in and beat him in the fifth. He's pretty easy if you apply some cheddar.

fernoca

LordPhoque said:
It's cheap on purpose, so be cheap on purpose. :p

As long as you keep trying to apply the same rules and mindset as you do for the rest of the game, you'll get more frustrated and won't beat him. ;)

Jump a lot, do short combos, EX-attacks, don't use the X-Rays..jump ..attack in the air..jump some more.

Struct09 said:
Sub Zero's alt costume that you unlock through either the krypt or beating ladder is not his classic costume. There's no way to get the DLC costumes yet outside of having a code.

seriously, fuck store exclusive DLCs

LordPhoque said:
It is mentioned in the Prima guide; that's where I first heard of it.

And no, I don't think this "feature" is in any previous MK games, definitely not the originals.

If you want proof, fight him 10 times in a row (unless you win!) and notice that by the 4th or 5th time, he will be tauting you much more often and basically just talking his ass off.

KevinCow

Banned
The Lamonster said:
The trick is to keep retrying until you win. Every time you die and retry, the difficulty is lowered a bit.

Well that explains why he was doing almost nothing but taunting by the time I finally beat him.

GrayFoxPL

LordPhoque said:

Our experience.

Most difficult thing about Kahn is getting into sweep range then you just jump over him and combo. Another bit is to not use combos and moves that will blow him too far away from you because you should be close enough to jump over him again as soon as he gets up.

Chairhome

TRMK's front page says:
trmk said:
As of today, the only way that you can perform these "klassic" fatalities is via the redemption code. If you didn't manage to buy 3 separate copies of the game from all of the aforementioned retailers, fear not. The "klassic" costumes and fatalities will be available shortly. As for now, they are retailer exclusives. We don't know exactly when they'll be released, but we do know they are coming.

Slurmer

Banned
The Lamonster said:
The trick is to keep retrying until you win. Every time you die and retry, the difficulty is lowered a bit. If you give up and try again some other time, the difficulty resets itself.

son of a bitch...
I thought I had accomplished something

notworksafe

Chairhome said:
TRMK's front page says:
Interesting. Maybe (hopefully) they will be in a pack and released with the downloadable characters on Wednesday.

I think everyone expected them to become DLC though. Hopefully the cost isn't too much and (doubtful) every character will get a klassic costume and fatality.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Struct09 said:
Shao Khan is really easy to cheese, even in the final story mode fight. Cross-up BP, quick 3-hit punch-based combo, jump over him and repeat until he's dead.

If you're still consistently losing, keep retrying - the game eventually eases up on you.

i cheesed and got flawless victories by spamming projectiles for both shao khan fights lol

Must be the 30th time I'm trying this and I see no difference.
Also you guys are all giving different advices so I just don't know what to do.

fernoca

Yeah.
The retro-DLC being released "later" has always been known; what we still don't know is the release date or pricing structure. Would it be a bundle?, individual?, price?

An under $5 bundle makes sense since of the 7 costumes, only 3 include a fatality; unless they add more to it.

LordPhoque said:
Basically, be cheap. There's no strategy per se. :p

Nelo Ice

Banned
LordPhoque said:

imo just go with spamming projectiles it took me like 3 or 4 tries but once i was able to back myself into the corner with shao khan on the other side i just spammed projectiles and the only thing he did was block or take the hit lol

LordPhoque said:
I got as far away as possible, spammed projectiles and won on time outs. If he ever got close I either teleported or tried to jump over him.

Remember as your bar fills up, you can hit block as you do a projectile to make it more powerful.

fernoca

y2dvd said:
Are there pics yet of the DLC costumes?
The retro costumes? Same ones at the "main post".

lCl2o.png

The Lamonster said:
If you want proof, fight him 10 times in a row (unless you win!) and notice that by the 4th or 5th time, he will be tauting you much more often and basically just talking his ass off.

Yes, I noticed this. Not sure how many times because I lost of bunch....and just as I was about fed up with it, he started taunting much more (or monologuing as I like to call it) and then I kept hitting him with projectiles and then moved in for the occasional uppercut.

Yeah, he's cheap and cheesy, but the rest of the game rules so I don't mind.

Aske

y2dvd said:
Are there pics yet of the DLC costumes?

Besides the retro costumes, no other costumes have been confirmed as DLC. Just new characters and possibly challenge tower levels.

notworksafe said:
Yeah, I'll go klassic. :p
Kitana's default costume in MK9 is better.

How do you do finishers with the "up" directional input? such as:

Kano PIT:U,U,B,FK
Noob: BABY:F,U,F,FP(Jmp)

Do I hold Block for part of it? Will holding Block fuck up a Babality input?

Parallax Scroll said:
Kitana's default costume in MK9 is better.

How you do finishers with the "up" directional input? such as:

Kano PIT:U,U,B,FK
Noob: BABY:F,U,F,FP(Jmp)

Do I hold Block for part of it? Will holding Block fuck up a Babality input?

You can jump and do all of the inputs while airborne or hold block, either one.

Pressing block at all doesn't matter for babalities or other requirements, it's if you block an attack. You can still do X-rays and EX attacks, for instance.

notworksafe

Yeah, I just like mocking her Liu Kang lookalike face. :p

And yeah, you hold block for the directional inputs and release it before you hit the button. Holding block for that won't mess up a Babality input. Only blocking an actual attack. EX moves and X-Rays can be performed and not mess it up either.

EDIT: Bah, beaten!

Parallax Scroll said:
Do I have to land before I hit the final button?

Yeah, if the last input is U+ button, just hit those right as you land and it'll work. It's generally easier just to hold block, anyway. I do it even on regular finishers just to prevent myself from accidentally moving out of range.

Lyonaz

LordPhoque said:

Shoot projectile from full screen distance, he will throw spears, duck and then either he will throw spear again, taunt or throw hammer.

- spear = duck and shoot thunderbolt
- taunt = go to him uppercut
- hammer = teleport, uppercut or jump over his hammer and superman him.

When Shao Kahn has X-ray, either bait him, by staying close to him and wait for his X-ray jump start and jump backwards, you could also hit him with a jump kick or air superman, but that requires some great timing. Or just stay the fuck away from him and pray to the elder gods he doesn't nail you when he's close. Also you can block most of his attacks except that damn hammer. So don't be afraid to block when he's close and shoulder charging you.

When you feel adventurous you can just play the nerves of steel mini-game. Stay close and just jump over him, uppercut, bait attack, jump over, uppercut or whatever fancy moves you like. This type of shit is usual just suicidal but you know sometimes the CPU just get completely braindead and lets you get away with it. He will just taunt and tell you how much you suck and totally eat your uppercuts. Also just do the jumping thing to check how he behaves and read his attacks.

Also X-ray him when he laughs at you.

Frankfurt

Banned
LordPhoque said:

Because there are... Wait for it... Multiple ways to beat a silly computer opponent with obvious patterns?

If you're in Story Mode, you're using Rayden.

Jump over him, hit the back of his neck with a jumping punch then do an uppercut (or combo). He'll fall. Walk or dash, jumping punch, uppercut. If he manages to hit you (it'll happen if you change the pace), just start over: wait for a chance to jump over him. You can jump ore every single one of his moves, even his anti-air tackle, if you dash. If you jump early, you don't even need to dash.

You can also stand on the other side of the screen and spam fireballs. Really fast, never giving him one second. If you miss a fireball, duck his spear. If it's the hammer, jump or teleport.

You can also wait until he starts to do anything, teleport, uppercut (or combo).

He gets incredibly easy on the 4th time you fight him. He will taunt whenever you're at jump distance or more. Just jump kick him or spam fireballs. He will taunt again if it's a fireball or something that makes him fall down. As long as you don't get too close, you're fine. Only approach him if it's jumping over him or if he's taunting. If you're at sweep distance or less, you'll get hammered and juggled.

And it's a fighting game. There's never been a good boss in a mainstream fighter. They're either way too easy (when devs try to make them reasonable), or they're cheap (when they want bosses to be imposing). I'm rather have a cheap boss that I have to learn a pattern than piss-easy bosses that are no different from anyone else in the roster.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The male retro-ninja costumes look cool, but the female ones seem..."off." I have Jade's on PS3 and that artwork makes it look a hell of a lot better than it looks in-game.

Lyte Edge said:
The male retro-ninja costumes look cool, but the female ones seem..."off." I have Jade's on PS3 and that artwork makes it look a hell of a lot better than it looks in-game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDeK-i4xGkU&feature=player_detailpage#t=187s

They look fine to me there? (Link skips to Jade, since you specifically mentioned her, which seems like it's the same costume they use for the classic jade fight after double flawless fatality on shang tsung... I'd definitely use Kitana's mk3 costume as my default if I had it).

The worst out of all of them for me is Reptile, even though it's probably the biggest improvement over his available MK9 costumes. I just hate how they deal with his spitting move and the way he looks during his klassic fatality. :|

--

Random awesomeness from the other day -- I was playing 30 second matches on expert, I think, to go after the ladder master trophy... time ran out while Reptile was invisible. I used the stage fatality on him (street stage)... there was just something wickedly cool about seeing the cloaked reptile get cracked in the skull by a speeding fender. ^_^

Fox Mulder

Chairhome said:
TRMK's front page says:

awesome. Pretty insane that the preorder codes are selling for what they are on ebay. Morons pay $60 for reptile, but hopefully we get all of them for $5.

Xater

GrayFoxPL said:
I'm really interested if story mode is considered cannon by NRS. Was it confirmed by Boon?
I mean
most good guys were killed off. Do they want repeat the mk3 situation? Controversial rooster wise?
I wouldn't bet that NRS wont just take few endings from ladder mode as a continuation in the sequel rather then continue from shocking story mode. Though I would love them to take that risk.

I am pretty sure story mode is cannon. I think the idea was to clean up the storyline with this game.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
corrosivefrost said:
The worst out of all of them for me is Reptile, even though it's probably the biggest improvement over his available MK9 costumes. I just hate how they deal with his spitting move and the way he looks during his klassic fatality. :|

I thought that was how it was in MK2 (Acid Spit). I do however miss the belly rubbing and mmmmmmmm after his classic fatality..

corrosivefrost said:
Random awesomeness from the other day -- I was playing 30 second matches on expert, I think, to go after the ladder master trophy... time ran out while Reptile was invisible. I used the stage fatality on him (street stage)... there was just something wickedly cool about seeing the cloaked reptile get cracked in the skull by a speeding fender. ^_^

I had a match against Kano as Striker where Kano hit me with his throwing knife the moment I started my xray. The knife remained lodged in Striker's chest for the rest of the match including the fatality. It looked funny.

notworksafe

butts said:
Can you redeem costumes right now on PSN? Or is the outage effecting that as well?
Not sure...I know you can get game updates. I imagine you cannot, since the download would need to be tied to a PSN account.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I had a match against Kano as Striker where Kano hit me with his throwing knife the moment I started my xray. The knife remained lodged in Striker's chest for the rest of the match including the fatality. It looked funny.
Oh yeah. I did a Kano vs Kano fatality today and noticed there was a knife lodged in my throat as I was doing the win pose.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
butts said:
Can you redeem costumes right now on PSN? Or is the outage effecting that as well?

You cannot, i traded a jade for a reptile with a fellow gaffer and we are both waiting for PSN to get back. I actually try to log in everytime i go to the main menu, hoping it magically came up so i can play online and dl that skin. lol

edit*beaten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom