• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
butts said:
Can you redeem costumes right now on PSN? Or is the outage effecting that as well?

I'm more wondering if the online pass will work when PSN comes back, because the store won't be up for awhile.

LordPhoque said:
Problem is I'm not comfortable at all with Raiden and I can't even manage to apply the teleport/uppercut technique without getting my ass kicked. Also the fact that you can't block his hammer throw is annoying as hell. And I don't see how applying cheap strategies against a cheap, poorly designed boss will learn me something about the game. I don't even use combos because they are worthless against this piece of shit. I'm okay with SF4 and even DOA4's bosses but this one is just plain garbage. Fuck you Netherealm.
The final fight is designed EXACTLY like a punchout style fight where you have to read what Kahn is doing and exploit his openings. In punchout what do you do? You read the opponents animation, dodge, and then attack when he leaves himself open.

Also, in fighting, whether it's in a competitive tourney or in real life (UFC, Boxing) what do you do? You get your opponent into a vulnerable position and exploit his weaknesses. You have to give up your ideas about cheese if you want to like fighting games. a guy online or in a tourney who is playing Noob will spam those shadow runs all day. It's up to you to counter that. Only glitches (like the infinite meter bug) are considered cheese. The rest of the game is designed to be balanced the way it is.

Rattles

God damn these backgrounds are gorgeous. The smoke in the Evil Monastery looks awesome and the pit's colour makes the game look so clean it has a cg look about it.

MYE

Game arrived today. Whhooo

Been playing Story mode and i'm loving it so far. I really appretiate the time and dedication that went into making this more than your usual fighter with shit main/story mode and barebones presentation...i'm looking at you MVC.
I REALLY hope it sets a standard for what to expect in a fighter, content-wise.

Game is gorgeous too. The stages are crawling with detail, damn.

notworksafe

Papercuts said:
I'm more wondering if the online pass will work when PSN comes back, because the store won't be up for awhile.
I didn't even have to go into the store to redeem mine so hopefully it isn't a problem.

NumSkull- said:
God damn these backgrounds are gorgeous. The smoke in the Evil Monastery looks awesome and the pit's colour makes the game look so clean it has a cg look about it.
Absolutely. I wonder if we'll see background dlc.

fernoca

Yeah.
- You can't redeem PSN codes at the moment.
- Online will work since the online pass just unlocks the online-aspects of it. See it as DLC. (i.e. is not like the Killzone 3 maps won't work when PSN is back).

MYE said:
I REALLY hope it sets a standard for what to expect in a fighter, content-wise.
Sadly, it won't.
For example, Tekken 5 on PS2 included everything from the arcade version, an additional adventure mode with story, more options to customize your character, galleries, movies and ports of the first 3 arcade Tekken games.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon included 60+ characters, character creation, a separate adventure mode with story, kart racing, galleries, online multiplayer.

Yeah, quality depends on who you ask (Deception was technically better than Armageddon, included story mode, chess, puzzle, online, galleries, etc.); but developers in general just don't care. Look at other genres, like FPS were some don't even include basic options like bots for offline multiplayer.

GrayFoxPL

Xater said:
I am pretty sure story mode is cannon. I think the idea was to clean up the storyline with this game.

But won't people be whining to hell that
their favorite characters are gone?

I like a change so It won't bother me, but I can imagine the internet hell. He're hoping for Reiko taking over Kahn's place.

Btw. The most shocking thing, actually the only shocking thing in Story mode for me was
Liu Kang's death. Not that he died, but how he died and what he said to Raiden then and there.
I was like: "Fuck! :eek:, :("

What do you think?

Trin3785 said:
I thought that was how it was in MK2 (Acid Spit). I do however miss the belly rubbing and mmmmmmmm after his classic fatality..

This too.

But I mean more like... I think MKII he pulled off the front of the mask (he does here too), but when he does here, his whole head is magically uncovered. It makes me sad. :(

GrayFoxPL said:
But won't people be whining to hell that
their favorite characters are gone?

I like a change so It won't bother me, but I can imagine the internet hell. He're hoping for Reiko taking over Kahn's place.

Btw. The most shocking thing, actually the only shocking thing in Story mode for me was
Liu Kang's death. Not that he died, but how he died and what he said to Raiden then and there.

What do you think?
I think it was more shocking that
Johnny Cage didn't die.

Not that I'm complaining, that's definitely one change I'm happy about, but it still surprised me.

Sblargh

Banned
I still think that on a sequel, Raiden will
do some sort of mass ressurrection or even Quan Chi will since the characters are not dead-dead, they are on the netherreal and who knows how the fuck the theology of this universe works

fernoca

GrayFoxPL said:

What do you think?
I liked how they handled that. It was kinda unexpected and sad; which gave that scene a better tone.

I do think that while the Ladder endings are not cannon, they are going to take elements from those endings and mix them in the story. Like;
Liu Kang returning as an "evil god", Raiden sacrificing his powers/immortality and giving them to a select group of fighters to serve as protectors, Kitana's father being inside Ermac, Sonya's father/spirit, Cyrax turning against the Lin Kuei and a few other things.

GrayFoxPL

rasberryjam said:
I think it was more shocking that
Johnny Cage didn't die.

Not that I'm complaining, that's definitely one change I'm happy about, but it still surprised me.

Haha :D. Indeed that was a major WTF moment. It only needed the
SzV.jpg
slapped on him!

Sblargh said:
I still think that on a sequel, Raiden will
do some sort of mass ressurrection or even Quan Chi will since the characters are not dead-dead, they are on the netherreal and who knows how the fuck the theology of this universe works

I thought about it, but it would be really lame and I would give NRS major thumb down for this lame stunt. I'm afraid even though they don't plan such outcome, they would do it anyway after internet outrage or even anticipating web outrage plus WB pressure.

Edit:
Quan Chi has their souls not bodies. You can see Nightwolf's body being completely destroyed, yet he's with Quan Chi. They could pull off zombie characters, but that only worked for Liu Kang in deception. Zombie army would suck hippo balls.

DrBo42

Are there any videos of "pros" playing? I'd just like to see what the game looks like when a competent person is playing. Haha.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As far as future story goes, I'm totally okay with
Quan Chi pulling a reversal and arranging for all the dead heroes to become champions of the Netherrealm, perhaps with the specific mind warping of their souls to convince them that Raiden and the Elder Gods sold them out. Used them as canon fodder. Liu Kang especially would be vulnerable to such a mindscrew.

Wouldn't it be cool for the next Mortal Kombat to include virtually the entire traditional cast as the villian's army, and Earth Realm assembles essentially a new generation of warriors to fight them. Perhaps with some intrigue, like Raiden concealing from them just how the Netherrealm amassed such an army. Only Raiden knows about Quan Chi's deal for the souls, I thought.

GrayFoxPL

Kaijima said:
Quan Chi pulling a reversal and arranging for all the dead heroes to become champions of the Netherrealm, perhaps with the specific mind warping of their souls to convince them that Raiden and the Elder Gods sold them out. Used them as canon fodder. Liu Kang especially would be vulnerable to such a mindscrew.

Wouldn't it be cool for the next Mortal Kombat to include virtually the entire traditional cast as the villian's army, and Earth Realm assembles essentially a new generation of warriors to fight them. Perhaps with some intrigue, like Raiden concealing from them just how the Netherrealm amassed such an army. Only Raiden knows about Quan Chi's deal for the souls, I thought.

That would be more passable for me but I don't get how Quan Chi would use them
when their bodies are still in Earthrealm? I understand them fighting Raiden was some kind of manifestation that worked then and there, but I'm guessing Quan Chi can't pull it off forever.

I feel like such a nerd. :p Damn you NRS for such nice story mode! :)

KevinCow

Banned
I can't figure out a single use for Stryker's dual pistols. It does like 3% extra damage, comes out just as fast as the regular gun, and doesn't seem to have any enhanced comboing abilities or whatever. Aside from looking cool, it just seems to be a waste of a third of the super bar.

GrayFoxPL said:
Haha :D. Indeed that was a major WTF moment. It only needed the
SzV.jpg
slapped on him!

I thought about it, but it would be really lame and I would give NRS major thumb down for this lame stunt. I'm afraid even though they don't plan such outcome, they would do it anyway after internet outrage or even anticipating web outrage plus WB pressure.

Edit:
Quan Chi has their souls not bodies. You can see Nightwolf's body being completely destroyed, yet he's with Quan Chi. They could pull off zombie characters, but that only worked for Liu Kang in deception. Zombie army would suck hippo balls.
You have to remember Sindel's resurrection though. Its probably going to be like that.

GrayFoxPL

infinityBCRT said:
You have to remember Sindel's resurrection though. Its probably going to be like that.

True. It would be funny to see Quan Chi casting spells over
earth graves.
He's fucking overpowered!

Kaijima said:

I think I would like them to take it a step further where all the the souls Quan Chi acquired get a "Noob Saibot" version. That allows Netherrealm to make "new" characters with new move lists, but also allows them to maintain the memorable cast. Of course at some point the original version of the characters would have to come back to have them playable as well.

infinityBCRT said:

More after story stuff:
(1) Raiden talked about the Elder Gods being able to restore the whole Shirai Ryu clan if Scorpion allowed Bi-Han to live. Elder Gods should have enough sway to resurrect the heroes, if they decide to.

(2) Furthermore, if Shao Kahn is destroyed, they could put something in the story about the deal between Quan Chi and Shao Kahn might be nullified, further allowing (1)?

So I was doing the ladder mode with Shang, and when I beat Ermac I had to to this hidden fight against Noob, only he was in what looked like Sub's classic costume. And he was hard as shit. His life hardly went down at all (i think even less so than Goro/Kintaro/ShaoKahn) and I lost. What was that about?

Xevren

Ninja Scooter said:
So I was doing the ladder mode with Shang, and when I beat Ermac I had to to this hidden fight against Noob, only he was in what looked like Sub's classic costume. And he was hard as shit. His life hardly went down at all (i think even less so than Goro/Kintaro/ShaoKahn) and I lost. What was that about?

They have some hidden fights if you do certain conditions. Fighting Noob sucks, he has incredibly high health and the AI gets all cracked out.

fernoca

Yeah, there are other fights like that. Only obtained by doing specific things during Ladder Mode (in that case, not blocking in the temple-arena).

Older games had fights like that too.

Ninja Scooter said:

Nope, you just get the honor of fighting in the secret matches and collecting a Trophy or Achievmemt. There are four hidden matches in the ladder mode.

fernoca

And the trophy (at the beginning of the match) for finding the fight.
There are 4 in total.
1. Retro Noob [Don't block in the Temple arena, while Noob is on the background]
2. Retro Reptile (with Sub/Scorpion's movesets) [Pit Stage get double flawless and pit fatality only when shadows are passing in front of the moon]
3. Retro Jade (with Kitana/Mileena's movesets) [Perform a Fatality during every fight leading to Shang Tsung, then perform a double flawless on Shang Tsung. Don't lose a fight]
4. Retro Smoke (with Scorpion's moveset) [Press Down + Select/Back the moment you see Smoke in the trees of the Living Forest]

Frankfurt

Banned
DrBo42 said:
Are there any videos of "pros" playing? I'd just like to see what the game looks like when a competent person is playing.

youtube.com/watch?v=2rDukVJiD9E
youtube.com/watch?v=XVM6O80hqD0

TheHakku

fernoca said:
And the trophy (at the beginning of the match) for finding the fight.
There are 4 in total.
1. Retro Noob [Don't block in the Temple arena, while Noob is on the background]
2. Retro Reptile (with Sub/Scorpion's movesets) [Pit Stage get double flawless and pit fatality only when shadows are passing in front of the moon]
3. Retro Jade (with Kitana/Mileena's movesets) [Perform a Fatality during every fight leading to Shang Tsung, then perform a double flawless on Shang Tsung. Don't lose a fight]
4. Retro Smoke (with Scorpion's moveset) [Press Down + Select/Back the moment you see Smoke in the trees of the Living Forest]
After reading that, now I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure fatalities all the way up isn't necessary. Glad to know fatality isn't needed on Shang. Don't know who would even get that far and not perform one just in case.
Don't think down is needed, but it doesn't hurt to try it. Easiest to find.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Frankfurt said:
youtube.com/watch?v=2rDukVJiD9E

While I'm sure Justin Wong could beat my ass at any fighting game, playing Kung Lao against a turtle and not using his teleport even once isn't what I'd call competent.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
fernoca said:
Yeah.
- You can't redeem PSN codes at the moment.
- Online will work since the online pass just unlocks the online-aspects of it. See it as DLC. (i.e. is not like the Killzone 3 maps won't work when PSN is back).

If the online code works like any other online code on PS3 then people that haven't redeemed it (Which are a lot, because PSN went down on release day in Europe.) won't be able to play.

NRS can of course just patch the validation out. But as it stands right now, a huge portion of players will be locked out of it.

fernoca

bandresen said:
If the online code works like any other online code on PS3 then people that haven't redeemed it (Which are a lot, because PSN went down on release day in Europe.) won't be able to play.

NRS can of course just patch the validation out. But as it stands right now, a huge portion of players will be locked out of it.
They will be able to redeem the codes when PSN is back (i.e. PSN the service, PSStore is separate). At least based on what they said, along with online multiplayer; account management will go live "this week" too. Is there, were codes are redeemed.

But if for some reason they decide to leave the code redemption option, till the Store is back "later this month"; then yeah..they won't be able to play.

But under normal circumstances, they will be able to do so "this week". We'll know for sure "this week" if 'Redeem Code' is live along with the rest of 'Account Management'.

TheHakku said:
After reading that, now I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure fatalities all the way up isn't necessary. Glad to know fatality isn't needed on Shang. Don't know who would even get that far and not perform one just in case.
Don't think down is needed, but it doesn't hurt to try it. Easiest to find.

I've heard mixed reports. Definitely need to NOT lose a round as far as I can tell and need the double flawless (and maybe some random flawlesses previously on other opponents) on Shang. When I managed to do it, it was double flawless, fatality on Shang, no rounds lost (though I did get to the finish him on Shang several times and use player select to reset the fight). I'm pretty consistent with doing fatalities on my way up the ladder, so it's hard to say how many I really did prior to the Shang fight.
I had read d+select as well, I've only done it once, and when I did, it was d+select for me.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Any tips for fighting the Kintaro/Goro tag team with Cyber Subzero? Is jumping the only way to avoid their stomp attacks which cause you to bounce?

As with just about everyone except Shao Kahn, you can greatly abuse j.2 > d.2. (Jump in with back punch, uppercut with down+back punch.) I believe they're still really susceptible to the freeze on wakeup tactic if you can get the timing down as well. Dive kicks since you're cybersub; I've found the computer only tends to block the initial jump kick, if you dive kick on block, you can usually hit then combo/uppercut.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
fernoca said:
But under normal circumstances, they will be able to do so "this week". We'll know for sure "this week" if 'Redeem Code' is live along with the rest of 'Account Management'.
I hope you're right. I was just saying as normally on PS3 the online codes are done by downloading an installable file, (as opposed to a subscription that can also be placed on an account) which is why I think the PSNStore comes in.

bandresen said:
I hope you're right. I was just saying as normally on PS3 the online codes are done by downloading an installable file, (as opposed to a subscription that can also be placed on an account) which is why I think the PSNStore comes in.

This is probably true. :(
Most of the games doing this (bulletstorm, me2) seem to basically bring you to a custom screen to put in your redemption code and then trigger a download from the PSN store. If the store is still down, we're likely proper fucked.

fernoca

bandresen said:
Yeah there's that too... and after SOEs situation things still look kinda grim at least to those that haven't been able to redeem any codes. :/

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sub_Level said:
While I'm sure Justin Wong could beat my ass at any fighting game, playing Kung Lao against a turtle and not using his teleport even once isn't what I'd call competent.

Umm...didn't Tom Brady win the whole thing? Its not like he lost to some random nobody. haha

Neuromancer said:
Is he in the trees, like up in the branches, or just standing in the background somewhere? I've never noticed him.

You'll see him randomly peek out from behind one of the trees. As soon as you see him, press the select button.

JRPereira

Just finished the story mode. Jesus Shao Kahn is a bitch. Won by the skin of my teeth and only with what felt like a lot of luck and so much cheese. Raiden feels stiff to play - he was my fave in the first mortal kombat and it'd be cool to get back into playing him in this one, but it's gonna take a lot of practice.

The story mode was fantastic. Didn't think it would be that detailed in a fighting game. A couple of fights were great like
cyber sub vs goro/kintaro
and
all of the ermac fights - they made him into a total badass force of nature
. Really liked how
smoke
's story panned out even though they
made him out to be a bit of a pussy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom