• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fernoca said:
Regarding that, there are 3D games on Xbox 360: Crysis 2, Black Ops for example. ;)
indeed. the 360 can't do proper 720p in 3d at 60 fps (but then Mortal Kombat isn't 'proper' 3D, even though it runs at full 720p and 60 fps).

Criminal Upper said:
PS3:

1 Exclusive Character
1 Exclusive arena with an exclusive stage fatality
3D Stereoscopic visuals
Full access to a demo weeks before launch
Jade DLC in the blu-rays of the MK movies

LOL!!

Let's see.

PS3's entire cycle, it barely get any demo, it barely get any exclusives, it barely gets anything worth purchasing exclusively for that console. 360 always gets demos, always mostly gets DLC a week to months in advance for AAA titles, always takes advantage of the hardware and provide standard services like xbox live to invite friends to games, etc etc.

That said, since you already know this:

1. Jade DLC is unlockable for both consoles. Blu-ray, you have to buy that blu-ray to get early access to Jade's skin. Early access doesn't mean jackshit.

2. 3D is not a feature! lol. It's Microsoft's fault that the console is not marketed as 3D-ready and not Sony's fault that their console is! Sony is pushing and implementing 3D wherever they can and it's not a feature since you can play the entire game the way it is with or without it.

3. Exclusive Character and map: Sony franchise. It's Sony's franchise and there is nothing Microsoft can do about it. Also, every company has a good relationship with a company. e.g.: EA and WB Games has great relationship with Sony; while Activision and Tecmo has a great relationship with Microsoft. That's how business is.

The only thing I AGREE with is lack of demo, which is usually a given for 360. Sucks that 360 didn't get this one demo out of the thousands...

Lothars

Criminal Upper said:
Now, I am not a PS3 owner...but I do agree PS3 multiplatform games usually get the short end of the stick, but....

PS3:

1 Exclusive Character
1 Exclusive arena with an exclusive stage fatality
3D Stereoscopic visuals
Full access to a demo weeks before launch
Jade DLC in the blu-rays of the MK movies

360:

I'm cool with PS3 owners getting an exclusive character...because that was mainly Microsoft's fault, but combine that with everything else? Seems liiiiiittttle more than unfair.

I think this is entirely fair, how many times have there been games with exclusive DLC? or some other exclusivity that Microsoft has got?

There's nothing wrong with this other than there should have been a demo for 360.

I've had a bit of a change of heart on Reptile, myself. I actually like the look now, but I think I like the alt better from the very low quality feed. Still, glad to have the Klassic skin from Amazon, which is where I would have ordered from anyways.

Frankfurt said:
Hector said on twitter the free DLC thing is BS.

And why not? I've been playing Ryu in SF2 since 1992. Still use him in SSf2hdr on Live.
My point exactly. There are so many characters that I doubt exclusive character will be your main. Looks like you know who your main will be for MK9 and stick with him! ;)

mhznet

GrayFoxPL said:
No full lizard. Fuck this! :(

I thank god for that, I like my Reptile to be a klassic green generic ninja.

Though I will rage if the klassic skin is indeed exclusive to Amazon. :(

LQX

AAK said:
Sony got what it payed for.

This is nothing compared to what all us PS3 owners went through when Sega pulled that lame VF5 stunt:

6b1l1cn.jpg
Didn't the PS3 version come out months before the 360 version?

ZoddGutts

Karma is a bitch. Both versions bomb so bad that they haven't release any new VF game on console in years and may never again.

NEO0MJ

mhznet said:
I thank god for that, I like my Reptile to be a klassic green generic ninja.

Though I will rage if the klassic skin is indeed exclusive to Amazon. :(

Don't worry, they'll later be released as DLC. Don't get suckered to buying the codes like what some did with Transformers WFC. Some idiots even payed a bit over a 100$.

DR2K

Banned
Criminal Upper said:
Calm down.

I already AGREED that the PS3 versions of multplatform games usually get shafted, I'm just getting a bit annoyed that feature after feature gets piled onto one version, while a much larger user base keeps getting repeatedly lied to about things. Especially for such an anticipated game as MK.

We all want the game pretty badly.

If the roles were reversed, I wouldn't be shouting victory and laughing at the people getting screwed about it. But I guess I'm not as classy as some other people.

I will not calm down, can you see that the words on the internet greatly upset me?!

It's a Sony owned character and level, that mainly PS3 owners would appreciate. I don't see why anyone would care. PS3 version has some 3D, a demo, some GoW stuff, and a Jade costume potentially earlier with the purchase of bluray movies . . . not really much to a 360 owner.

Unicorn

DR2K said:
I will not calm down, can you see that the words on the internet greatly upset me?!

It's a Sony owned character and level, that mainly PS3 owners would appreciate. I don't see why anyone would care. PS3 version has some 3D, a demo, some GoW stuff, and a Jade costume potentially earlier with the purchase of bluray movies . . . not really much to a 360 owner.
As a 360 owner, the only thing that slightly bothers me is the King of the Hill mode not letting me choose to use a MK avatar instead.

Then again, my LIVE is expired, so it doesn't matter until I renew that anyway.

strideramc said:
Did you order it from Amazon with release date shipping? If you did, you should be fine.

Nope....just used Best Buy's website to order the edition. Choose the most expensive shipping price to ensure I get it either on the release date or the day after. Probably for the best if it shows up on the 20th cause I'll be studying all day on Tuesday

TreIII

Gravijah said:

I'll definitely be rocking that as well as my Retro Kostume.

Kadey said:
Yep. I'll be streaming PS3 lobbies here when the game hits. http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/videos

Hopefully the MK community is as active as the Capcom fighters. Would like to see the FGC thrive as a who

The MK kommunity was able to do pretty well for itself, even during the "Dark Ages" of the last decade. UMK3 was doing fine as a hardcore, competitive game, while online play (shoddy as it may have been) was enough for most people in the other releases (Deception->Armageddon->UMK3LA).

If the game actually stands to be GOOD this time around, along with decent netcode, so much the better, I say.

Frankfurt

Banned
shagg_187 said:
My point exactly. There are so many characters that I doubt exclusive character will be your main. Looks like you know who your main will be for MK9 and stick with him! ;)

Yes, if you play "seriously" only, roster size is irrelevant (it actually matters for balance, but you know what I mean). But is there really anyone that DOESN'T play every character and has a chunk of casual regulars? Does the majority really want LESS content in a game?

I'm maining Sub, but I'll play Mileena and Kitana pretty regularly, and I bet there'll be one or two other characters that will sneak up on me. Someone does in every game. If they had Carmine or Marcus in the 360 version, you bet I would be happy to keep them along with Kitana and Mileena, maybe even have one of them replace Sub (It has happened with my KOF, FF mains, for example), assuming I enjoyed how they played. Liking the character doesn't mean they'll be fun, obviously.

Goes both ways, too - I can't stand Stryker and Nightwolf design-wise, but they're both fun to play and are good additions. Just like Kratos. The idea that this or that is an irrelevant extra and they "don't matter" is silly. 3D, avatar support, extra character, extra BG, extra fatalities and environmental fatalities, it all matters. Otherwise we would still be playing two identical one-color sprites in one background like in the Atari days and nobody would care about what the roster is, if you can throw someone for the tree to chew on and all that.

And the PS3 can't do 60fps 720p 3D either. No home device can.

fernoca

Tesseract said:
jesus it's like a magic hat with all the content. how long has this been in development?
Around 2 years; though they were technically planning on it before the DC Universe game, if anything that game helped them get more experience with "next gen consoles/development".

Shadowlink said:
Are the stages posted in the OP all the stages?
That was all of the stages found in the demo. Theres a chance they could've added more since that build and/or that there will be DLC stages.

They are only missing a handful of stages that I actually care about (Kombat Tomb, Outworld Portal, Outworld Pit)

Got a call about an hour ago from a friend that works at Gamestop. He told me they got shorted on their Tournament Edition shipments. Only me and some other dude pre-ordered 360 versions, yet they only got in one copy. Better yet, they got a PS3 version despite no one pre-ordering it.

There are four Gamestops in my city, so yeah, it's a large city. None of the other stores got any shipments in whatsoever, despite one of them getting "some" pre-orders for it.

He calls me back thirty minutes later and says that the next big town south of us got in FOUR 360 versions despite no pre-orders at all. He's driving down there tomorrow to pick up one of them so our pre-orders can be accomodated.

*slaps head*

Just posting this so everyone else can be prepared for encounters like this. My situation likely wouldn't have gotten resolved if I wasn't friends with an employee there, so everyone be on the look out.

Unicorn

infinityBCRT said:
That was all of the stages found in the demo. Theres a chance they could've added more since that build and/or that there will be DLC stages.

They are only missing a handful of stages that I actually care about (Kombat Tomb, Outworld Portal, Outworld Pit)
That's 25 not counting day/night variations. Just over 3x as many stages as MvC3's 8.

Unicorn said:
You want more?
Not really since we have so many stages. I was just wondering what other sort of secrets they had hiding up their sleeves. Guess I'll find out next week! :)

infinityBCRT said:

Well, they can always release more stages as DLC but I think we have enough.

Uzumaki Goku

Yeah, I watched the opening to story mode. Fraid I have to call bullshit on
Quan Chi being at MK1
, NRS. He simply doesn't belong.

Uzumaki Goku said:
Yeah, I watched the opening to story mode. Fraid I have to call bullshit on Quan Chi being at MK1, NRS. He simply doesn't belong.

To be fair, that's not something they just made up. Back in 1997's Mythologies game, they do explain that Quan Chi and Shinnok were around before the first tournament.

fernoca

Uzumaki Goku said:
Quan Chi
being at MK1, NRS. He simply doesn't belong.
They reset the entire cannon, so prepare to call on bullshit..a lot. :p
See this as a new start, even when it's technically a sequel.

And yep, watch for spoilers. :p

81403.png

"LOL, spoilers in a fighting game?!!"

Since there's a 'Story Mode' in this game, with new twists and outcomes for many of the characters.

Spoiler-tag
hRveP.png
any of talk of the story mode, detailing aspects of the story and the fate of the characters.
Also, put spoiler-tags when talking about those "two secret characters".

DON'Ts
  • OMGWTF Liu Kang is killed at the beginning by Johnny Cage!!11! And Sonya just had sex with Kano TFF?!
  • Fuck yeah! I just unlocked Superman and Batman after killing Mokap; which is the actual final boss!!

DOs
  • OMGWTF (first chapter spoiler)
    Liu Kang is killed at the beginning by Johnny Cage!!11! And Sonya just had sex with Kano
    TFF?!
  • Fuck yeah! I just unlocked
    Superman
    and
    Batman
    after killing
    Mokap; which is the actual final boss
    !!

Khezu

The only stage missing I'm bummed about is the bank, it was kinda bland, but It's the MK3 stage that stands out the most to me for some reason.

Uzumaki Goku said:
Quan Chi being
at MK1, NRS. He simply doesn't belong.
Read the MK Story summary by Fernoca, watch the intro/bios vids. He HAD to be a part of this game for any of the story to make sense.

Khezu said:
The only stage missing I'm bummed about is the bank, it was kinda bland, but It's the MK3 stage that stands out the most to me for some reason.
Hah! The Bank was the laziest ass job at a stage ever. Well that ...and the Balcony.... and the Pit 3. lol. There were quite a few mediocre ones in MK3 =/

Uzumaki Goku

I know, but you see... things like anything Raiden directly interferes with and changes, fine okay, but they can't just rewrite things, if he's travelling back in time, those events should still happen as they were originally told, Raiden's message shouldn't change that. It's lazy and if you wanted to do that, you should've just done a straight reboot without the whole send a message into the past.

I know Quan Chi was around, but I preferred that they had him as more of a subtle danger someone in the background, but here he's up front and center and it makes no sense to me. And even then, his appearance is wrong. Established canon states Quan Chi didn't get those tatoos until Deadly Alliance and even without that, he has Shinnok's Amulet on his belt. Considering he's supposed to be keeping it hidden from Shinnok that he's in possession of it, it looks really stupid for him to be wearing it on his belt.

And I should've spoilered tagged the secret character, I'm sorry but I just need verification on writing spoilers tags, sometimes I swear I do it right and it shows up anyway. :-/

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Seeing how Mortal Kombat is relevant again gives me hope that WBIE can give other franchises in the Midway back catalog such love and care in the future.

I will die a happy man if WBIE makes a great San Francisco Rush revival for PS3/X360. Hell, I'd be happy with an arcade-perfect port of Rush 2049 for XBLA/PSN.

Spy Hunter, Defender, Smash TV, Joust, they could all make good downloadable remakes. Remake Rampart with PS Move controls (the PSN port of the original just isn't the same without the trackball). Remake STUN Runner on the 3DS, stereoscopic 3D would be awesome for a game like that.

The possibilities are endless!

Khezu

infinityBCRT said:
Hah! The Bank was the laziest ass job at a stage ever. Well that ...and the Balcony.... and the Pit 3. lol. There were quite a few mediocre ones in MK3 =/

Ya it really was, but they could have done something awesome with it this time around, like have bank robbers in the background or something silly. I doubt many besides me care about it, so it probably won't ever be considered for DLC.

Seeing how Mortal Kombat is relevant again gives me hope that WBIE can give other franchises in the Midway back catalog such love and care in the future.

I think WB only bought MK, not midway, they other IP's were bought by different people, but none of it was ever made public, MS for some reason bought hydro thunder, and I think SE has something as well, but that's it.
I would kill for a new gauntlet.

Uzumaki Goku

infinityBCRT said:
Read the MK Story summary by Fernoca, watch the intro/bios vids. He HAD to be a part of this game for any of the story to make sense.

Oh yes, I admit that, but I just don't think he should be at the tournament. That's streching things.

Big One

Banned
Speaking of Quan Chi, does he have a Mk4 alt? I kind of find it weird that his default costume is his Deadly Alliance getup in a time when he should be wearing his MK4 gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom