• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzumaki Goku

Big One said:
Speaking of Quan Chi, does he have a Mk4 alt? I kind of find it weird that his default costume is his Deadly Alliance getup in a time when he should be wearing his MK4 gear

Exactly. If you must have Quan Chi, he should be wearing his MK4 outfit at this point. As I stated before, he doesn't get those tatoos until Deadly Alliance. It was even a plot point!

Prodigal

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
I will die a happy man if WBIE makes a great San Francisco Rush revival for PS3/X360. Hell, I'd be happy with an arcade-perfect port of Rush 2049 for XBLA/PSN.

You and me both, brotha

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Khezu said:
I think WB only bought MK, not midway, they other IP's were bought by different people, but none of it was ever made public, MS for some reason bought hydro thunder, and I think SE has something as well, but that's it.
I would kill for a new gauntlet.
To my knowledge, WB Games bought the entire Midway back catalog, except for the licensed sports titles (for obvious reasons) and the Cruis'n trilogy (owned by Nintendo).

The WB Games logo appears when starting up Hydro Thunder Hurricane, so that IP was just leased to MS and Vector Unit to make that game.

fernoca

Story wise they changed a lot of things, but at this moment we don't know if there are other reasons for things. Maybe (mild spoilers?)
Quan Chi knows about the time-travel thing of Raiden..even more seeing how the story mode ends and what the characters involved say. But we won't know that, till the next game.

Oh, and reposting:

WMhlP.png

REGARDING THE ONLINE KOMMUNITY THREAD
While the online thread is create and posted in the upcoming days...

Here's the spreadsheet to add your PSN/Live usernames (quote this post to copy/paste the link, let's see how things work out. Remember to copy-paste only the adress):

Just select a box write the information on the respective area, colors, etc. leave them to me.
And also remember to File > Save after you're finished. ;)

So if a "troll" decides to have fun, we'll know for sure the troll is from here or got the link here. in that case, I'l proceed to put it as a regular post in the, upcoming thread.
Though I haven't added mine yet. :p

Frankfurt

Banned
Another (rather obvious) thing, demos are make-or-break serious business. I almost paid the 120 bucks Vanquish costs here (yes, 120 US dollars in-store) before I played the demo. Everything I would read and see about the game looked perfect. But I decided to check the demo first and... didn't like it.

Same could happen to MK. I used to love the series, and everything looks perfect, a must-buy. But I could easily touch the demo and hate it. It has happened with my favorite series, KOF, and it sure could happen here.

Having a demo for some players but not others is just insane. Either leave everyone in the dark or no one (no, I have no way to check the PS3 demo - I have one friend with a PS3, and he lives 10 hours away, an $18 bus ticket).

X26

Banned
Frankfurt said:
Another (rather obvious) thing, demos are make-or-break serious business. I almost paid the 120 bucks Vanquish costs here (yes, 120 US dollars in-store) before I played the demo. Everything I would read and see about the game looked perfect. But I decided to check the demo first and... didn't like it.

Same could happen to MK. I used to love the series, and everything looks perfect, a must-buy. But I could easily touch the demo and hate it. It has happened with my favorite series, KOF, and it sure could happen here.

Having a demo for some players but not others is just insane. Either leave everyone in the dark or no one (no, I have no way to check the PS3 demo - I have one friend with a PS3, and he lives 10 hours away, an $18 bus ticket).

that's a pretty sweet deal

Frankfurt said:

..nice

Uzumaki Goku

fernoca said:
Story wise they changed a lot of things, but at this moment we don't know if there are other reasons for things. Maybe (mild spoilers?)
Quan Chi knows about the time-travel thing of Raiden..even more seeing how the story mode ends and what the characters involved say. But we won't know that, till the next game.

But that still doesn't work here. You see, why would
Quan Chi even know Raiden was trying to change things? How does explain Mileena being created during MK2 when her bios clearly implied she had already been around longer?

So I've been listening to some Bombcasts recorded around the time when MK vs. DC was released. Really interesting to hear their speculation about this game at that time. I don't doubt that Boon probably tipped them off on the project off the mic, as he made mention of the "next game" in their interview. And here we are, so very, very close to it's fruition. Stuff like that just makes me smile.

On a related note, are there any videos out there of Jeff playing UMK3? I hear he's quite good.

AAK

fernoca said:

Oh, and reposting:

Though I haven't added mine yet. :p

I don't mean to undermine your hard work, but how about you use the initiative started by Ferrio in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427298

That way it`ll surely have everyone in the Neogaf community in the loop.

Uzumaki Goku said:
I know, but you see... things like anything Raiden directly interferes with and changes, fine okay, but they can't just rewrite things, if he's travelling back in time, those events should still happen as they were originally told, Raiden's message shouldn't change that. It's lazy and if you wanted to do that, you should've just done a straight reboot without the whole send a message into the past.

Look at the intro video of MK1 and compare it to the other 6 canon games. Its only 15 seconds. They had to extrapolate and add more stuff to it. It wasn't until MK2 where the lore of MK really took off.

Uzumaki Goku

infinityBCRT said:
Look at the intro video of MK1 and compare it to the other 6 canon games. Its only 15 seconds. They had to extrapolate and add more stuff to it. It wasn't until MK2 where the lore of MK really took off.

I know that... and I'm fine with say Kitana, Jade and Baraka being at MK1 (well a little) but I'm just saying I really think they changed too much from what I've seen...
and honestly it really sucks that they made Raiden.. you know what I'm not even going to call him Raiden.. Thunder Idiot into such a retard for the story to work.

Flipyap

MyEpitomeCliché said:
So I've been listening to some Bombcasts recorded around the time when MK vs. DC was released. Really interesting to hear their speculation about this game at that time. I don't doubt that Boon probably tipped them off on the project off the mic, as he made mention of the "next game" in their interview. And here we are, so very, very close to it's fruition. Stuff like that just makes me smile.

On a related note, are there any videos out there of Jeff playing UMK3? I hear he's quite good.
Sure there are, they did a Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 TNT! Two hours of Brad and Jeff ripping dudes apart, blowing up Earth. You know, the usual.

GQman2121

Banned
I could go and pick this up from my mom and pop import store tomorrow if I wanted to. They got it in today and have broken the street date.

I'm going to hold out and get those reward zone points from BB. Kan't wait to play this proper next week though......

fernoca

AAK said:
I don't mean to undermine your hard work, but how about you use the initiative started by Ferrio in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427298

That way it`ll surely have everyone in the Neogaf community in the loop.
Yeah, it's a great initiative; and there's nothing stopping others to put MK and their info there.

But at least for the specific MK thread; is the one that will be used, since it will make things easier for everyone when talking and discussing MK and looking for specific players to play with.

One of the reasons Ferrio did it, was because most OTs being abandoned a little after, which is something I'm not planning on doing as long as I'm a member here, there's interest in the game..and I'm alive (lol that sounds cliche ;p). That's why there will be a separate thread for the online talk, so that others can discuss and talk about it there instead of thrown between a bunch of character, story, and gameplay-related talk.. :p

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
That King of the Hill feature? With spectator avatars that can emote as they watch the match? While I was working on an Xbox MMO at a game studio back in 2002 I wrote a design document for a fighting game (was meant for xbox 1) featuring those exact features :). Bound to happen sooner than later and I am glad it's coming in a game that looks as good as play as this one.

I also suggested showing the health on the back of the character in the game I was working on but got shut down... Worked great in Dead Space though!

Hopefully soon I can unleash my own game on the world (and have it ripped apart by GAF). :p

TommyManberg said:
Why are people debating consoles in this damn thread? GTFO with that junvenile bullshit.

I'm pretty sure it's down to 360 players being unhappy about receiving an inferior product for the same cost as PS3 version. To be honest this is far worst than day 1 DLC with 360 players being forced to support this shitty work-practice if they want to play the game, and ultimately rewarding developers for spending resources on content they'll never receive (or an equivalent). Though thank you for your helpful contribution.

TommyManberg said:
Why are people debating consoles in this damn thread? GTFO with that junvenile bullshit.

Actually, everyone had stopped talking about it on the current page, and were getting back to talking about the online community for the game.

Then you brought the whole issue up again, so...bravo, I guess?

MrMephistoX

Spirit of Jazz said:
I'm pretty sure it's down to 360 players being unhappy about receiving an inferior product for the same cost as PS3 version. To be honest this is far worst than day 1 DLC with 360 players being forced to support this shitty work-practice if they want to play the game, and ultimately rewarding developers for spending resources on content they'll never receive (or an equivalent). Though thank you for your helpful contribution.
Case Zero, Case West and all the Fallout 3 DLC (6 month's exclusivity) say hi. Like others have said PS3 gets one high profile exclusive and the world ends. It's shitty but a smart business move and WB DID approach MS first.

So, watching the MKII Giant Bomb stream, and I just realized something.

The ninjas are wearing catcher's shin guards. Ninja with baseball equipment! It is something I cannot unsee. I hope I have ruined it for somebody else.

SerArthurDayne said:

The ninjas are wearing catcher's shin guards. Ninja with baseball equipment! It is something I cannot unsee. I hope I have ruined it for somebody else.

I hate everything. :(

JdFoX187

Banned
I've been reading about the Kratos character and stage, and am seriously debating about picking this up on the PS3 instead of the 360. Still haven't decided though.

I noticed people mentioning the story mode opening. I know it was featured in the Machinima stream yesterday. Does anyone have a YouTube link to it? That stream is horribly choppy for me.

MrMephistoX said:
Case Zero, Case West and all the Fallout 3 DLC (6 month's exclusivity) say hi. Like others have said PS3 gets one high profile exclusive and the world ends. It's shitty but a smart business move and WB DID approach MS first.

How is paid DLC equivocal? The best example would be VF but that was due to an updated version being released 8 months later on 360. This is the case of consumers paying the same amount for the same product and one group receiving less content. Also as stated before in the thread; there's no evidence at all to the WB approaching MS first rumour and apparently when a gaffer asked at PAX it was said to be bullshit.

mhznet

JdFoX187 said:
I've been reading about the Kratos character and stage, and am seriously debating about picking this up on the PS3 instead of the 360. Still haven't decided though.

I noticed people mentioning the story mode opening. I know it was featured in the Machinima stream yesterday. Does anyone have a YouTube link to it? That stream is horribly choppy for me.

This! anyone? please?

SerArthurDayne said:

I noticed that way back in the arcade days of MKII. From that point on to me, all catchers are wearing "Ninja" shin guards.

Ploid 3.0

Dude MK totally deserves this OP. Man I'm getting all nostalgic over hear going through the history of this franchise. I just found out about MK Legacy web episodes, good times.

Unicorn

SerArthurDayne said:

link?

Spirit of Jazz said:
How is paid DLC equivocal? The best example would be VF but that was due to an updated version being released 8 months later on 360. This is the case of consumers paying the same amount for the same product and one group receiving less content. Also as stated before in the thread; there's no evidence at all to the WB approaching MS first rumour and apparently when a gaffer asked at PAX it was said to be bullshit.

Someone gets less content if they don't preorder, BULLSHIT!!!

I hope the community thread doesn't have this stupid console war/entitlement shit going on.

Spirit of Jazz said:

why does everything have to be equivocal? Is that your consumer right?

Glass Joe

I've been away from the internet for a little while. I assume there's still no 360 demo or bonus character announcement? Forgive me if I missed it, but the OP is a little on the large side and I could have overlooked it. Anyway no need to answer 'less I'm wrong (hope someone answers haha).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Glass Joe said:
I've been away from the internet for a little while. I assume there's still no 360 demo or bonus character announcement? Forgive me if I missed it, but the OP is a little on the large side and I could have overlooked it. Anyway no need to answer 'less I'm wrong (hope someone answers haha).

Nope. Not sure what the hell is with the missing demo.

fernoca

Well, posted it earlier than expected...(click the image) :p

So, if the ones that know how to create chats, etc. and were planning on doing so..I'll appreciate if you post instructions, links, etc. for others too in that thread. :p

Ninja Scooter said:
why does everything have to be equivocal? Is that your consumer right?

No, but as a consumer I feel it's a poor business practice and I'm not exactly thrilled at spending the same amount of money on less content? What kind of argument is this, clearly people shouldn't aim to treat people equally?

Holy shit though I'm just giving up on this shit, clearly I engineered this apparent console-wars (really, have I argued any consoles superiority here?) bullshit and it has nothing to do with the product their providing being superior on one format. What a tool I am for believing I should be treated equally by companies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There has never been a bonus character in a fighting game that was worth a damn. They have all been either really stupid or ridiculously broken. SC4's multiplayer was a mess thanks to Starkiller being a cheap ass broken character.

I don't see a problem with just getting the base game, if Kratos is broken then PS3 MK is worthless online.

Yeah... if you're a big MK fan I'd think you would almost want a Kratos-less version more because nothing is intruding on the pureness of the game or the integrity of the online/versus play (if thats what you're into). The Kratos trailer looked hype but at the end of the day I wouldn't be having fun if it ended up just being a Kratos fest.

fernoca

Those that added their IDs to the spreadsheet, another column was added to put if you're usually going to play: competitive, for fun or to train/get better.

So if interested in adding it, update the info. :)

And again, just in case:

So, if the ones that know how to create chats, etc. and were planning on doing so..I'll appreciate if you post instructions, links, etc. for others too in that thread. :p

Link to the spreadsheet and some basic instructions is in the second post.

Uzumaki Goku said:
Exactly. If you must have Quan Chi, he should be wearing his MK4 outfit at this point. As I stated before, he doesn't get those tatoos until Deadly Alliance. It was even a plot point!

Ed Boon likes to "retcon" the costumes. The costumes differ too much from each iteration. Look at all of sub-zero's costumes. He's probably the worst offender.

infinityBCRT said:
Yeah... if you're a big MK fan I'd think you would almost want a Kratos-less version more because nothing is intruding on the pureness of the game or the integrity of the online/versus play (if thats what you're into). The Kratos trailer looked hype but at the end of the day I wouldn't be having fun if it ended up just being a Kratos fest.

Part of the reason I'm going 360 first is to avoid the Kratos hoarde. Once he's confirmed to not be broken I'll double dip on the PS3 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom