• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

The Bookerman said:
Look at all of sub-zero's costumes. He's probably the worst offender.
Or just really into fashion; he put fur with that helmet in Deception.
He's usually alone, or hanging out with Smoke..so... ;) ..you know, just saying. :p

Re: Kratos.
Online probably there will be a ton of lobbies named 'No Kratos allowed' if he's broken anyway..well except for ranked matches.. :p

DatBreh

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
How is paid DLC equivocal? The best example would be VF but that was due to an updated version being released 8 months later on 360. This is the case of consumers paying the same amount for the same product and one group receiving less content. Also as stated before in the thread; there's no evidence at all to the WB approaching MS first rumour and apparently when a gaffer asked at PAX it was said to be bullshit.

PS3 version of Batman AA had content not available to 360 players, same thing with the PS3 version of Dead Space 2. PS3 version of Portal comes with a free PC version.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I may have to buy this. PS3 version too. Any info on online mode? Like replays... spectator mdoes... etc?

DatBreh said:
PS3 version of Batman AA had content not available to 360 players, same thing with the PS3 version of Dead Space 2. PS3 version of Portal comes with a free PC version.
360 has had a lot more exclusives and time exclusives in past. The problem is that Sony has developed a great relationship with EA and WB since 2010 and that's how it is. Don't make me point out the exclusives 360 has cause the list is fucking massive...

fernoca

DatBreh said:
Yeah..GTAIV episodes were exclusive for a year to 360...And Tomb Raider Underworld extra chapters are still exclusive and not in the recently released Trilogy for the PS3.

We could be going on and on for hours about this same thing and then go in circles.

So let's focus on Mortal Kombat and direct any hate mail to Microsoft for "not doing anything" or WB for "doing something".

No more console-war talk, please.

Ls85q.png

Toasty has spoken!! :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
shagg_187 said:
360 has had a lot more exclusives and time exclusives in past. The problem is that Sony has developed a great relationship with EA and WB since 2010 and that's how it is. Don't make me point out the exclusives 360 has cause the list is fucking massive...

I know 360 has a lot of exclusive/timed exclusive DLC, but I can't think of much akin to Kratos/Joker/LA Noire case that are in the full game and just locked out for everyone else.

I can't wait to up someone into oblivion and have that guy say "TOASTY!". It'd be hilarious is Kratos breaks the 4th wall as well and responds like "Hm?" or "What treachery is this!?!"

I hope this game sells millions so NRS can make a sequel as well as Shoalin Monks 2.

TreIII

cuevas said:
They MAY just make another MK...

True, but Boon has already hinted at the notion that WB wants the MK brand to flourish well beyond just its Fighting Game origins. With the way this particular game is constructed to last a while, they could afford to try another type of MK game in the meanwhile. Not to mention that "Fire & Ice" idea that was planned, but never saw the light of day.

DatBreh

Banned
shagg_187 said:

Im not taking sides, i was just pointing out to the other poster that there is precedence for one version to be clearly better. I have both consoles so i dont care at all. I get whichever version is best.

Now that i think about it i cant think of much content that was free on the 360 side that the PS3 never got.

DatBreh said:
Im not taking sides, i was just pointing out to the other poster that there is precedence for one version to be clearly better. I have both consoles so i dont care at all. I get whichever version is best.

Now that i think about it i cant think of much content that was free on the 360 side that the PS3 never got.

el41.gif

fernoca

The Lamonster said:
Man I am still playing the demo every day. I have not even gotten bored with just 4 characters and 2 stages.
Yeah..I had to delete the demo in order to play other games. :p

Tuesday, the first thing I'm doing is jump right into story mode.

TreIII

fernoca said:
Yeah..I had to delete the demo in order to play other games. :p

Tuesday, the first thing I'm doing is jump right into story mode.

If story mode is the fastest means to unlock
Cyber Sub and Quan Chi
, then I'll have to make do. The former remains one of the characters I most want to try out for myself, along with Reptile and Shang Tsung.

Lingitiz

Is MK the kinda game you can succeed at just using a regular 360 controller? Don't really wanna drop a ton of money on a stick right away but don't want to be ragequitting a whole lot. Not planning to play super competitively or anything but at least wanna be pretty solid at the game.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
DryEyeRelief said:

That's... amazing.

I am torn. Most of my friends will probably get the 360 version since they don't have PS3s... and I will probably get the PS3 since it isn't gimped. Still deciding what version to buy... =P! PS3 definitely appeals to me more though. Vastly.

Edit: And I swear to God I missed the entire Exclusive-bullshit conversation up there. I don't see a problem with it, it just makes what version to choose harder for me for the reasons stated above. I usually get multiplatforms on 360 though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lingitiz said:
Is MK the kinda game you can succeed at just using a regular 360 controller? Don't really wanna drop a ton of money on a stick right away but don't want to be ragequitting a whole lot. Not planning to play super competitively or anything but at least wanna be pretty solid at the game.

Most of the inputs are just 2 directions instead of the usual 3, so it shouldn't be an issue. I play MvC3 and BlazBlue fine on the 360 dpad anyway.

Filth

Lingitiz said:

from experience i can say that the 360 dpad is gutter trash. you could manage to do well with the ps3 d pad. i may actually prefer the dpad over a stick because you dont really have to have qcf or qcb's its mostly tapping foward or back. and the combos arent hard to pull off either.

Aske

Could someone explain to me why we're unofficially calling this game MK9, when it's the 8th game in the series? Deadly Alliance is 5, Deception is 6, Armageddon is 7. I assume people are counting MK vs DC as the 8th game, but why would we do that when it isn't cannon, and we don't count Vs games in other franchises? Street Fighter X Tekken won't make the next SF game Street Fighter 6. What am I missing here?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Aske said:
Could someone explain to me why we're unofficially calling this game MK9, when it's the 8th game in the series? Deadly Alliance is 5, Deception is 6, Armageddon is 7. I assume people are counting MK vs DC as the 8th game, but why would we do that when it isn't cannon, and we don't count Vs games in other franchises? Street Fighter X Tekken won't make the next SF game Street Fighter 6. What am I missing here?

Because nobody really cares enough to get that picky over it, I suppose.

Aske said:

Netherrealm Studio and Ed Boon are calling it MK9. We're just following it.

Pimpbaa

Aske said:

Cause this game is so awesome that it skips 8 and goes straight to 9!

Chairhome

So, I'm getting pretty mad at Amazon. I tried to change my order for this game to Release Day Shipping, but Customer Service (I've talked solely to outsourced help) can't seem to do it, even though it says its available on the product page. So they tell me I can order it again and cancel the old order, but it won't let me select Release Day Shipping. Anyone know why? I've exchanged a few emails with them and they say they can waive the fee on my Two-Day Shipping. I don't want that! I want it Tuesday! :-( I want to speak to someone in America, not outsourced help :-/ No offense.

Chairhome said:
So, I'm getting pretty mad at Amazon. I tried to change my order for this game to Release Day Shipping, but Customer Service (I've talked solely to outsourced help) can't seem to do it, even though it says its available on the product page. So they tell me I can order it again and cancel the old order, but it won't let me select Release Day Shipping. Anyone know why? I've exchanged a few emails with them and they say they can waive the fee on my Two-Day Shipping. I don't want that! I want it Tuesday! :-( I want to speak to someone in America, not outsourced help :-/ No offense.

Which version? There has been talk about not all version being able to get release-date shipping.

Aske

shagg_187 said:
Netherrealm Studio and Ed Boon are calling it MK9. We're just following it.

Huh. That makes sense for the fan base, but what an odd choice behalf of Netherrealm. The cynic in me agrees with cuevas...they're just eager for the next game to be MKX. So it goes.

Chairhome said:
PS3 standard edition. :-/

You're right, for some reason it is not available for the 360 version either. I don't know what's up with that, I've ordered games Sunday night with release date shipping.

Khezu

I hope NRS goes in a completely different direction then MKX, and stays with MK9 just being MK, and then the next game can be Mortal kombat II, screw with giant bombs database even more.

Weren't they calling DC MK8 before it had an official name?

Khezu said:
I hope NRS goes in a completely different direction then MKX, and stays with MK9 just being MK, and then the next game can be Mortal kombat II, screw with giant bombs database even more.

Actually MK8 was a completely different game that got scrapped in return for MK vs DC.

At last year's Midway Gamers Day, Mortal Kombat co-creator and series overlord Ed Boon talked up the then-unnamed eighth entry in the franchise. Boon described Mortal Kombat 8 at the time as "very dark, serious" and "gritty" take on the series, a back to basics reboot that was free of "vibrant, saturated colors." It was said to be heavily inspired by the look of Gears of War.

Obviously, that didn't quite happen; Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe did. Boon said that the down and dirty MK8 was scrapped when the DC Comics deal solidified.

While MK Vs. DCU was met with mixed results, it wasn't an unexpected by the MK team. Frankly, we were pleasantly surprised by the game — despite our very much looking forward to the team's previous vision — and think that will show when we post our impressions of the Midway fighter later today.

I guess you can say that MK9 is what MK8 was supposed to be, and MK vs DC is now called MK8 internally.

Khezu said:

They still call it MK8... this one is referred to as the 9th game in the series by them as well.

I have a feeling the next game could be called MK2 although it would be very confusing since it would have nothing to do with MK2 and likely would be the MK4 or MK DA/Deception story (really hoping for the latter)

I could see this being the only MK fighting game of this gen, while their next projects are a new Shaolin Monks type game and maybe something for XBLA/PSN.

Aske

infinityBCRT said:
...and likely would be the MK4 or MK DA/Deception story (really hoping for the latter)

I doubt that will happen. The whole point of going back in time seems to be to rewrite those storylines, so I imagine the sequel to this game will take the mythology in an entirely different direction.

TreIII

Ninja Scooter said:
I could see this being the only MK fighting game of this gen, while their next projects are a new Shaolin Monks type game and maybe something for XBLA/PSN.

This. If they do it right, this MK can last for the rest of the gen through DLC updates here and there. Leaves them perfectly free to work on other things. And hopefully, not just MK either.

Ninja Scooter said:

I think the MK4 story or characters just aren't strong enough to carry a full game which is why I think it'd be neat if they just released a DLC pack and/or Ultimate MK disc which included the retelling of the MK4 story.

As for the next real MK, I'm hoping they do try to stray away from throwing everyone into the game. I'd like to see a roster of the following characters:

MK1-3: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Noob Saibot, Ermac, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Reptile, Smoke, Jax, Sonya, Kano, Shang Tsung, Raiden
MK4: Quan Chi, Kenshi, Reiko, Tanya, Fujin
MK DA: Movado, Nitara, Li Mei, Bo Rai Cho (redesigned to be more of a drunken bad ass than a drunken gas bag)
MK Deception: Onaga (Boss), Havik, Shujinko, Hotaru, Ashrah, Dairou

+ around 3 new characters

Aske said:
I doubt that will happen. The whole point of going back in time seems to be to rewrite those storylines, so I imagine the sequel to this game will take the mythology in an entirely different direction.

Thats assuming that they wrap up the story all in this game. Boons a smart man. With every game since Deadly Alliance they've had a thread that they want to carry into the next game. I figure the fact that Liu Kang is supposed to get killed is still something that Raiden has to stop and they could kraft a great story around that and around Liu Kang stopping Onaga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom