• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Shakala said:
So I originally planned to use Scorpion as my main character (because he's obviously badass) until I looked at his *****s. I was disappointed at how easy they looked compared to others and can't help but feel like he's cheap :(
Still love him though

EDIT: Apparently, combos with a k is filtered?
*****s

Whoa.

fernoca

Yep. Combo with a K is banned, because of a similar-named website. :p

Was fun fixing that aspect of the thread while making it. XD

Glass Joe

jaekwon15 said:
In MK2, in order to perform a Babality, you could not use a punch button. Maybe that's the stipulation.

If that was the stipulation, we definitely would have noticed.

I'd read "don't hit block," but I've certainly hit the block button in matches. Especially with X-rays and the like.

Then I'd read "don't successfully block an attack," which MAY be true, but doubtful. Sounds like fernoca tried that out and didn't have a problem performing one. Not losing a round would also make sense, but fernoca tried that too.

I think that there's simply no stipulation. Which is sorta dumb. Friendships/Babalities always used to have that "In Your Face" sort of feel. Like, "I can beat you with one hand behind my back." Taking that element away was a mistake, IMO.

On a side note, (not a major spoiler probably, but just in case):
Does anyone know the exact requirements of Jade? I've read "double flawless Shang Shung" which sounds like a pain in the ass. I've gotten darn close though. But I've also read others claiming that they've done this without getting the Jade fight. Anyone know if there's more to it?

Glass Joe said:
If that was the stipulation, we definitely would have noticed.

I'd read "don't hit block," but I've certainly hit the block button in matches. Especially with X-rays and the like.

Then I'd read "don't successfully block an attack," which MAY be true, but doubtful. Sounds like fernoca tried that out and didn't have a problem performing one. Not losing a round would also make sense, but fernoca tried that too.

I think that there's simply no stipulation. Which is sorta dumb. Friendships/Babalities always used to have that "In Your Face" sort of feel. Like, "I can beat you with one hand behind my back." Taking that element away was a mistake, IMO.

Does anyone know the exact requirements of Jade? I've read "double flawless Shang Shung" which sounds like a pain in the ass. I've gotten darn close though. But I've also read others claiming that they've done this without getting the Jade fight. Anyone know if there's more to it?

I'm too lazy to spoiler this at this point, but I won't refer to what you said other than the requirements.

Exact requirements are unknown, save for the double flawless on Shang Tsung and not losing a round (at least I didn't when I got it) until you do so. Speculation states you need several flawlesses before the ST fight and that you need to do a fatality on ST as well (though some report getting the fight without the fatality).

Personally, I had probably 5+ fatalities and 2+ flawlesses before ST. No rounds lost. Double flawless + fatality on ST and it triggered.

This MK has a ton of great single player stuff, but the Krypt is a shadow of it's former self.

I remember on Deadly Alliance you would get new stages, new characters, new costumes, everything. Awesome stuff.

This new one is just concept art...maybe a single alt costume...a second fatality here and there...more concept art.

DLC killed the Krypt.

Prodigal

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
This MK has a ton of great single player stuff, but the Krypt is a shadow of it's former self.

I remember on Deadly Alliance you would get new stages, new characters, new costumes, everything. Awesome stuff.

This new one is just concept art...maybe a single alt costume...and a fatality...then lots more concept art.

DLC killed the Krypt.

Well I mean for MK9 they pretty much gave us almost everything from the start...I enjoy unlocking stuff as much as the next guy but it's pretty nice to have all the stages and (nearly) all characters as soon as you put in the disc. Especially considering this MK has more stages/characters than DA.

Prodigal said:
Well I mean for MK9 they pretty much gave us almost everything from the start...I enjoy unlocking stuff as much as the next guy but it's pretty nice to have all the stages and (nearly) all characters as soon as you put in the disc. Especially considering this MK has more stages/characters than DA.

Yeah, good point. Didn't look at it that way.

GrayFoxPL

Shakala said:
So I originally planned to use Scorpion as my main character (because he's obviously badass) until I looked at his *****s. I was disappointed at how easy they looked compared to others and can't help but feel like he's cheap :(
Still love him though

EDIT: Apparently, combos with a k is filtered?

Nah Scorpion isn't cheap. I'm actually surprised that Scorpion and Sub are balanced, not broken and not God tier considering Scorp is Boon's favorite character.
So go for it.
Btw what do you think about his alt outfit? Looks kind of modern for me.

Shame we probably don't get Fujin soon. I'd like him more then any DLC character announced. Base him of MK4 please NeatherRealm Studios!

Sidzed2

Replicant said:
Has anyone from Australia successfully imported this game?

Absolutely. Without a hitch. Anecdotally, I know many people have successfully done it. i have not yet heard of any reported cases of seizure. Just do it.

Replicant

Sidzed2 said:
Absolutely. Without a hitch. Anecdotally, I know many people have successfully done it. i have not yet heard of any reported cases of seizure. Just do it.

Thanks. I actually ordered the steelbook but now the seller refunded my money because he said he couldn't get it from the distributor after all. So now I have to hunt it elsewhere.

Galdelico

ZoddGutts said:
Glad Mortal Kombat has a ton of single player content. Dammit PSN.
Couldn't quote more.

I'm loving this game tho, I knew it was gonna be good but not actually this good. Gives to me the pure fun I had with MKII on Megadrive, back in the days... Learning the combat, trying out all the characters, picking up my favourite after months of single and multi play.
Great stuff, really, these guys did an amazing job in bringing back the franchise to its finest hour.

As an aside, anyone else (other than myself XD) has the feeling that Story Mode runs at a higher resolution than the other sp modes? The Ladder, for example, looks no different from the demo, but SM graphics really seem to me kind of crisper...
I'm on PS3/1080p
(and probably mad, or blind)

ACH1LL3US

Galdelico said:
Couldn't quote more.

I'm loving this game tho, I knew it was gonna be good but not actually this good. Gives to me the pure fun I had with MKII on Megadrive, back in the days... Learning the combat, trying out all the characters, picking up my favourite after months of single and multi play.
Great stuff, really, these guys did an amazing job in bringing back the franchise to its finest hour.

As an aside, anyone else (other than myself XD) has the feeling that Story Mode runs at a higher resolution than the other sp modes? The Ladder, for example, looks no different from the demo, but SM graphics really seem to me kind of crisper...
I'm on PS3/1080p

Playing the PS3 version here and I can say there is NO difference sharpness wise or other between story mode and ladder etc. This game runs at 1080P!???

impirius

I think the actual fighting in Story Mode looks extra sharp simply because it's contrasted with the relatively muddy video segments in between fights.

simtmb

Replicant said:
Has anyone from Australia successfully imported this game?

Yep. From AUS here. Imported from shopto (UK) and so did another friend of mine. All without a problem, so your good to go. Another mate also got it from amazon.com via courier shipping.

However, supposedly there were some reports of it getting seized withing WA however. Aside from that, import import import.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Galdelico said:
Couldn't quote more.

I'm on PS3/1080p

In terms of platform-differences, are the boobs better animated on X360?

any tips for ermac? I was planning on maining Stryker and Baraka but might switch one of them out for Ermac... also looking at Sektor but not entirely comfy with him yet.

Frankfurt

Banned
So... How shitty is that I now get no sound from Cybersub's ending? I figured it was a bug, since lines would dissapear here are there through Story Mode, but even after i go back to it a day later in nekropolis, no narration. I mean, Jesus, NRS.

Frankfurt said:
So... How shitty is that I now get no sound from Cybersub's ending? I figured it was a bug, since lines would dissapear here are there through Story Mode, but even after i go back to it a day later in nekropolis, no narration. I mean, Jesus, NRS.
Yeah that was really weird.

aristotle

Glass Joe said:

ps3trophies.org said:
With all the false information regarding the “You Found Me!” achievement/trophy, I thought it was time to figure out what’s what for those who are still having trouble with it. After MUCH trial and error, and the help of our good friend Patrick McCarron over at TRMK, we’ve finally figured out the exact criteria needed for the hidden Jade encounter.

* A minimum of 2 rounds is required.
* Round time and difficulty settings do not matter.
* You can’t lose a single match.
* At least 3 Fatalities must be performed before reaching Goro/Kintaro. This means a Fatality is NOT required on Shang Tsung if you have done at least 3 before reaching him. Stage Fatalities count.
* At least 5 Flawless Victories must be achieved before reaching Goro/Kintaro. This means at least 3 Flawless Victories must be achieved before Shang Tsung in addition to the 2 that will be required on him (below). It’s also possible to get all 5 on Shang Tsung by using the retry trick (see notes).
* You must get 2 Flawless Victories on Shang Tsung without losing a round.

Notes:

* You may re-select your fighter without penalty when it asks you to “Finish Him/Her!” (meaning you have to win). In doing so, you will fight your opponent again without a match loss. This is particularly useful against Shang Tsung. Selecting a different fighter between retries is allowed.
* If a match results in a retry, all Flawless Victories achieved during that match will still count towards your total, including that of the final round.
* While you aren’t allowed to lose a round to Shang Tsung, you can lose a round to anyone before him.""

All Credit Goes To: Original Link

It is verified that this is how you get Jade. It's not unknown like some people think.

RelentlessRolento said:
any tips for ermac? I was planning on maining Stryker and Baraka but might switch one of them out for Ermac... also looking at Sektor but not entirely comfy with him yet.
Ermac can string his moves rather well, try doing some of the stock combos then throwing in his DB1 to get the enemy airborne for a jumping kick teleport into another combo, it works well online too.

orion434

aristotle said:
It is verified that this is how you get Jade. It's not unknown like some people think.

I used the re-try trick and lost a round twice, but ultimately winning the match to get the "Finish Him" to show up for the trick to work. Don't know where exactly that equates in the mini-guide

Frankfurt said:

I've noticed a couple bugs that dampen my experience, for instance kabals floor buzzsaw sometime shows the throwing animation but no saw comes out.

evil ways

Xater said:
I also have not put in my code yet. :(

Maybe the 48 hour trial period will work right? RIGHT?
Don't tell me the Kombat Pass expires unless you use it. I also wasn't able to redeem it or the Ermac costume before the PSN fiasco.

Frankfurt said:
Mine also lacks narration. Also, in one session the announcer never said FATALITY when I did them. And View Ending doesn't show up in the Krypt for Baraka even when I beat ladder with him. PLUS the game doesn't always save the unlock for finishing moves when I perform them.

Struct09

evil ways said:
Don't tell me the Kombat Pass expires unless you use it. I also wasn't able to redeem it or the Ermac costume before the PSN fiasco.

The codes won't expire, but you may have to wait longer to redeem them until the PS Store is back up :(

Hopefully they can lift the Kombat Pass requirement until PSN is fully functional again.

Diablohead said:
Ermac can string his moves rather well, try doing some of the stock combos then throwing in his DB1 to get the enemy airborne for a jumping kick teleport into another combo, it works well online too.

yeah I started liking him once I saw how fun his moves string together. thx

corrosivefrost said:
Who did you use for the expert ladder no continues?
I have that and the 300 challenge single player trophies left. :(
I can get to Shao Kahn using the Sheeva throw > stomp trick, but Shao Kahn always beasts on me. Open to suggestions for my second -- I've tried Smoke and Scorpion and gotten close, but not gotten it yet.

As for Shang Tsung, you could try the Sheeva trick, but you need to be on a higher difficulty (in my experience) to get the glitch to occur.
When I did it, I was using smoke and accidentally picked scorpion on the rematch... the best thing I can say is keep your distance, duck his fireball, spear, combo, stay ducking, spear, combo, repeat.

I just used Sheeva and non-stop spammed the tele-stomp. Blocked at times and tossed out an xray if available. You know how after you successfully stomp on someone, it makes you do this little hop to the side before you can move again? You can hit down as soon as you touch the ground with that little hop so when you resume control, you only have to hit up. This allows you to launch off again much faster and since Kahn's hammer moves are slow, easy to get him. Occassionally he will get a ram in but you should ultimately outlive him. It will be close though. I want to say I actually lost by a sliver the first time I fought him but I beat him the second time. Kintaro is the one character this technique does not work well on at all. I just went back to main menu if the ladder didn't show Goro after Kintaro thwarted two of my attempts.

Did the Sheeva toss work much for you? Even on my expert run, didn't seem consistent enough. At least, not enough to get a double flawless. I did try my tele-stomp spam when trying to beat expert with not continues on him and I was right about to get the flawless and then he turned into Quan and did that teleport move which is one of the few that can interrupt Sheeva. The bastard. So with Scorpion, staying back, he didn't do any of his fireballs that rain down from the sky?

ithorien

Squall ASF said:
I just used Sheeva and non-stop spammed the tele-stomp. Blocked at times and tossed out an xray if available. You know how after you successfully stomp on someone, it makes you do this little hop to the side before you can move again? You can hit down as soon as you touch the ground with that little hop so when you resume control, you only have to hit up. This allows you to launch off again much faster and since Kahn's hammer moves are slow, easy to get him. Occassionally he will get a ram in but you should ultimately outlive him. It will be close though. I want to say I actually lost by a sliver the first time I fought him but I beat him the second time. Kintaro is the one character this technique does not work well on at all. I just went back to main menu if the ladder didn't show Goro after Kintaro thwarted two of my attempts.

I haven't seen ladder much, can you do expert 1 round on the shortest ladder?

Woo, finally got ladder master. My Sheeva A-game was in effect and Kahn was feeling taunty. Bad move.

Now other than the mastery of characters trophies, I'm just missing the 300th challenge...

It was not being friendly earlier, either. I couldn't even beat Goro... everything just bounced off his armor. :(

I can pretty consistently get the forward throw, stomp technique on expert... It was always just Kahn that effed me up (doing tag ladder gives you the double health, so Kintaro is a joke too... you can just Jump+2, uppercut most of the time and you'll win no matter what unless you let him walk all over you).

Darklord

Banned
Finally got it today(aussie here). Damn, this game is good! So much content, lots of gore, it's easily the best game since the older ones. In fact it reminded me how bloody awful some of the 3D ones have been.

Alpha_Tango

Neo Member
Frankfurt said:

That's just the way it is. His ending doesn't have narration.

Ronabo

corrosivefrost said:
False.
It works for Smoke and Noob.
But for Reptile and Jade, you need 2 rounds.

Hmm, I know I did it with one round on Smoke, but I think I did it with Reptile too.

Galdelico

Blackvette94 said:
Playing the PS3 version here and I can say there is NO difference sharpness wise or other between story mode and ladder etc. This game runs at 1080P!???
No, I just set my PS3 at 1080.

But yeah, I guess I've seen like... dead people. :p

ToyBroker

Banned
Do we have any updates or comments from Netherrealm regarding the horrible lag online yet?

I'm loving playing offline right now...but since I'm not a tournament player, the majority of my time would be spent fighting online. And right now...it's pretty much unplayable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom