• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct09

ToyBroker said:
Do we have any updates or comments from Netherrealm regarding the horrible lag online yet?

I'm loving playing offline right now...but since I'm not a tournament player, the majority of my time would be spent fighting online. And right now...it's pretty much unplayable.

They've officially said to expect improvements over the next couple weeks.

While I've had a few laggy matches, most of the online matches on XBL I've played have been fine. Of course not the same fluidity as playing someone on the same console, but still playable and fun.

Lothars

Struct09 said:

While I've had a few laggy matches, most of the online matches on XBL I've played have been fine. Of course not the same fluidity as playing someone on the same console, but still playable and fun.

I think the online is some of the worst out of any game right now because it's so laggy and drops connection constantly, I don't have any faith in it improving either but we will see.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Struct09 said:

It gets progressively worse if you're playing randoms with godawful connections or large lobbies. I've heard that the game is almost unplayable today for some reason. Maybe they're doing an update.

Carnby

I paid my way past the 300th challenge. It was a combination of not caring enough to spend hours trying to pass it and already knowing how crappy the prize is.

DasRaven

jaekwon15 said:
I paid my way past the 300th challenge. It was a combination of not caring enough to spend hours trying to pass it and already knowing how crappy the prize is.

I just finished it 10m ago (Feels good man!). 300 straight through, no skipping.

If you want the damn simplest strategy I know (the one I used)
Kurtis Stryker - Project Brutal Justice
Round 1 - Spam gun @ full screen, Goro has nothing for this and gets locked down easily.
Round 2 - Spam gun @ full screen, Kintaro will periodically jump stomp. Respond with diagonal jump punch to knock him out of it.
Round 3 - Mileena hates crossup kicks. Mix that with reasonable gun spam and basic combos
Round 4 - Spam gun @ full screen, Khan will periodically throw hammer, jump it.
Took me about 5 attempts to win.

Struct09

MK1 classic fight stick being released by PDP: http://www.trmk.org/news/20632/gamestop_leaks_pdp_mortal_kombat_klassic_fight_stick.html

2ewfpsk.jpg

fernoca

Xater said:
I don't think that button layout looks comfortable for this game.
It is the exact same layout that the Tournament Editions had. The only thing different is the MKI art and colors on it.

notworksafe

fernoca said:
It is the exact same layout that the Tournament Editions had. The only thing different is the MKI art and colors on it.
I thought the TE editions had punches both on top and kicks both on the bottom by default. This is a normal MK layout.

DoubleTap

notworksafe said:
I thought the TE editions had punches both on top and kicks both on the bottom by default. This is a normal MK layout.

How can you tell? It may just be following the color scheme of the original.

Edit: nm, the article states it.

fernoca

notworksafe said:
That's just artwork, is not like the kicks are always going to be kick-buttons. You can customize the placement of each button. :p

In this case the artwork of the panel reflects the artwork of the first MK game, but the layout and positioning of the buttons is the exact same.

gI6kv.jpg

As noted the original game didn't had a Run button, yet this new design has one. And i doubt they put some kind of lock in place to prevent people from customizing the buttons in the game.

fernoca said:
That's just artwork, is not like the kicks are always going to be kick-buttons. You can customize the placement of each button. :p

In this case the artwork of the panel reflects the artwork of the first MK game, but the layout and positioning of the buttons is the exact same.
And this new art is way better than the TE stick, IMO.

fernoca

The Lamonster said:
And this new art is way better than the TE stick, IMO.
Ewww...no.:p
It looks cool, MKII artwork would've been better; maybe it's in the plans. :p
From the look of things it seems to be the exact same as the Tournament Editions, memory foam and everything.

ithorien said:
I haven't seen ladder much, can you do expert 1 round on the shortest ladder?
Yes, you can. Didn't know you can control the ladders though, how many does the shortest one have? I've always done it where Shao Kahn makes the 10th fighter. Is there one shorter than that?

corrosivefrost said:
Woo, finally got ladder master. My Sheeva A-game was in effect and Kahn was feeling taunty. Bad move.

Now other than the mastery of characters trophies, I'm just missing the 300th challenge...

It was not being friendly earlier, either. I couldn't even beat Goro... everything just bounced off his armor. :(

I can pretty consistently get the forward throw, stomp technique on expert... It was always just Kahn that effed me up (doing tag ladder gives you the double health, so Kintaro is a joke too... you can just Jump+2, uppercut most of the time and you'll win no matter what unless you let him walk all over you).

corrosivefrost said:
If that's true, I wonder if you could get 4 flawlesses, then just flawless fatality shang tsung for jade...
I think he's mistaken on that one, pretty sure you have to get a double flawless for Reptile. I'd love to be wrong though, as I still need Jade.

Glad she worked for you this time, she's definitely the way to go for that achievement. Didn't do tag just because I wanted the rounds to go faster. I had it one 30 second rounds to speed things up too. 30 seconds can be a double edged sword if the computer gets a big combo off though. I ended up doing two rounds just for the cushion and incase I got lucky on Shang for the Jade achieve. I'm dreading that achievement but it's my final obstacle for single player. Did you already do the online achievements?

ithorien

Squall ASF said:
Didn't know you can control the ladders though, how many does the shortest one have? I've always done it where Shao Kahn makes the 10th fighter. Is there one shorter than that?

I asked because I don't remember at all, I haven't touched the game in almost a week because my triple is on the fritz.

fernoca

Squall ASF said:
Yes, you can. Didn't know you can control the ladders though, how many does the shortest one have? I've always done it where Shao Kahn makes the 10th fighter. Is there one shorter than that?
You can't. The only way to make it shorter is to reduce the rounds to 1 and the time to 30 seconds...and make sure you're winning in those 30 seconds.

Finally beat Challenge Tower last night. Man, some of them were a gigantic pain in the ass. Now I can finally focus on building up one of my characters instead of doing crappy spam moves to clear challenges.

ithorien said:
I asked because I don't remember at all, I haven't touched the game in almost a week because my triple is on the fritz.
I've seen someone else mention ladder size so I think it might be possible. Maybe if the instruction booklet wasn't the biggest joke ever, we'd know. I can say that single rounds would work fine for the achievement for beating expert without continuing. It's risky though, every so often a character will get super cheap and win a round. I found with 2 rounds to win, I'd never lose.

fernoca said:
You can't. The only way to make it shorter is to reduce the rounds to 1 and the time to 30 seconds...and make sure you're winning in those 30 seconds.

Ok, thanks for clarifying, heard it in a few places so didn't know if the ladder thing was true. I didn't see anywhere that you had a choice so suspected as much.

notworksafe

fernoca said:
Ewww...no.:p
It looks cool, MKII artwork would've been better; maybe it's in the plans. :p
From the look of things it seems to be the exact same as the Tournament Editions, memory foam and everything.
If they are going to use that layout, they should have used UMK3 art imo. My plan was to pick up one of the TE sticks and put UMK3 art on it anyway.

And yeah I know you can change button layout in game, but the art is correct on the new stick as far as old school layout style, which I like.

Arde5643

Akia said:
Lu Kang sucks in this game
Wha? Dude's good and real solid.

His 50/50 mix-ups nets him with at least 30+% combo if it works and it's always safe on block.
Every one of his launcher combos is safe on block. He's got a low target combo that juggles and is safe on block as well as a target launcher combo ending with mid that's also safe on block.

Basically all of his launcher normals he uses in his mix-ups outside of his worthless specials are so fucking good.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Hex said:
I can not beat Shao Khan in story mode.
Just pure SNK levels of super cheese going on and every time I have a pattern he goes into berserker mode and gets pissed off.

I just beat him an hour ago after countless tries. Walk up to him then jump over his head and superman his back. You can get off one lightning bolt when he gets up, just do it as soon as you land.

recorded it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0O0XEPeXPM
I'm not good

Arde5643 said:
Wha? Dude's good and real solid.

His 50/50 mix-ups nets him with at least 30+% combo if it works and it's always safe on block.
Every one of his launcher combos is safe on block. He's got a low target combo that juggles and is safe on block as well as a target launcher combo ending with mid that's also safe on block.

Basically all of his launcher normals he uses in his mix-ups outside of his worthless specials are so fucking good.

OK, what the heck are 50/50's and BnB's that I keep seeing in this thread?

Squall ASF said:
I think he's mistaken on that one, pretty sure you have to get a double flawless for Reptile. I'd love to be wrong though, as I still need Jade.

Glad she worked for you this time, she's definitely the way to go for that achievement. Didn't do tag just because I wanted the rounds to go faster. I had it one 30 second rounds to speed things up too. 30 seconds can be a double edged sword if the computer gets a big combo off though. I ended up doing two rounds just for the cushion and incase I got lucky on Shang for the Jade achieve. I'm dreading that achievement but it's my final obstacle for single player. Did you already do the online achievements?

Haven't even redeemed my kombat pass... by the time I opened the game and started playing, it was after PSN was down -- I didn't redeem the pass because I wanted to see how the online was by word of mouth first and if it was awful see how NRS decided to handle it before I used the pass; figured it'd be easier to sell if the online was ass and I didn't end up loving the game. Now I have to wait for the PSN store to come back up before I can actually play online. :\

I never had many problems with one round @ 30 seconds on expert tag ladder... the tag gives you some nice buffer to win by timeout if necessary and extra life for the 3 bosses. With that extra buffer, I was usually good to get a couple throws in with sheeva, even if I was taking a beating... and then just stomp to death while they lay on the ground -- so long as I could build up an xray and nail the second opponent with it (if sheeva had taken a beating) that usually gave me enough room in case scorpion got put in and i had to last for a few seconds to win by life total.

For the ST double flawless, the most important thing I can stress from my experience is PATIENCE. I found that originally, I was being agressive -- I wanted that first hit no matter what in hopes that I could get them in a spear or smoke loop (usually attempted with scorpion or smoke). I came close a few times but he'd always sneak a hit in somewhere... until the day I played patiently and waited for the openings to spear or teleport remaining ducking the rest of the time... if he started an up or down fireball, i'd teleport, if he jumped in, i'd spear him on landing then do the jump+2, back+2, dash forward, uppercut loop and throw another spear as he got up. if he got too close, i'd try a defensive uppercut and then put some space between us, returning to neutral duck constantly... nice and slow and it all worked out.

--

I *think* 50/50s are target combos that hit both high and low or overhead and low... basically combos that force the opponent to change blocking stance to remain safe...

BnBs is the term for "bread and butters" or the go-to combos that you would use regularly in competitive play.

Squall ASF said:
OK, what the heck are 50/50's and BnB's that I keep seeing in this thread?
BnB = Bread and Butter, aka your character's "go to" combos.
50/50's are offensive setups that make your opponent guess, in a nutshell.

Hi Beefy!

itwasTuesday said:
I just beat him an hour ago after countless tries. Walk up to him then jump over his head and superman his back. You can get off one lightning bolt when he gets up, just do it as soon as you land.

recorded it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0O0XEPeXPM
I'm not good

Holy shit, you got wicked lucky that standing kick knocked him out of x-ray in round 3, or you'd have been throwing your controller at the wall. :)

Good job though -- slight improvement for anyone who tries it -- if it looks like you're going to get punished for guessing wrong, it doesn't hurt to teleport -- in round 1 or 2, Tuesday did it once or twice. :)

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Has anyone tried to use the MK stick for other fighters? I am tempted to get one but I feel it isnt worth it if I cant use it on anything but MK.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I cleared Challenge Tower this morning! Man those last few were tough. Now I can concentrate on the story mode.

Carnby

Trin3785 said:
Has anyone tried to use the MK stick for other fighters? I am tempted to get one but I feel it isnt worth it if I cant use it on anything but MK.

Yes. It worked great.

It was MK2 on PSN.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I tried to use my te stick for mk, and did for most of my early playing, but now im trying out the sf4 fightpad and I think I like it better. If mk didn't have a block button I would prolly stick with the stick.

DasRaven

Trin3785 said:
I'm also using mine for mk2. It's perfect as expected. I tried T5-DR, and it is usable, but not optimal,

I saw a thread about this on TRMK, so I wanted to see if anyone had these issues here.

I've got a T.E. stick and today, my friend told me I was echoing and that my indicator in the XBL party chat always stayed flashing even though I was making no noise. I also noticed a very faint-yet-high-pitched feedback (think dog whistle, but one a human can hear) as well. I know it's not the headset because when I plug in to the normal controller, all the issues go away. Considering how much I paid for this thing, I expect perfection and this is far from it.

Xevren

AnEternalEnigma said:
I saw a thread about this on TRMK, so I wanted to see if anyone had these issues here.

I've got a T.E. stick and today, my friend told me I was echoing and that my indicator in the XBL party chat always stayed flashing even though I was making no noise. I also noticed a very faint-yet-high-pitched feedback (think dog whistle, but one a human can hear) as well. I know it's not the headset because when I plug in to the normal controller, all the issues go away. Considering how much I paid for this thing, I expect perfection and this is far from it.

I've had a lot of issues due to the mic port in my TE's, eventually it just ends up dying and chat won't even be used. I have 2, one flat out won't work for chat, the other is sketchy at best.

Irish

zero margin said:
I've noticed a couple bugs that dampen my experience, for instance kabals floor buzzsaw sometime shows the throwing animation but no saw comes out.

I don't think that is so much a bug as it is a way to prevent projectile spamming. The same thing goes for Cyrax's net and bombs and I'm sure other people's moves as well.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Irish said:
I don't think that is so much a bug as it is a way to prevent projectile spamming. The same thing goes for Cyrax's net and bombs and I'm sure other people's moves as well.

i thought that stuff happend when the opponent was too close to you. I had it happen when trying ice clone and whenever the opponent was right next to me it wouldnt work..

fernoca

Yep, seems to be done on purpose.
Otherwise, people would be spamming Cyrax' net, doing Sub-Zero's clones every time/move/action they do, and so on.

grkazan12

Ok so I just double dipped on this game by getting the Xbox version and I'm having a hard time getting used to the 360 pad. Should I just stick with it till I get good ? The DS3 dpad spoiled me.

DasRaven said:
I just finished it 10m ago (Feels good man!). 300 straight through, no skipping.

If you want the damn simplest strategy I know (the one I used)
Kurtis Stryker - Project Brutal Justice
Round 1 - Spam gun @ full screen, Goro has nothing for this and gets locked down easily.
Round 2 - Spam gun @ full screen, Kintaro will periodically jump stomp. Respond with diagonal jump punch to knock him out of it.
Round 3 - Mileena hates crossup kicks. Mix that with reasonable gun spam and basic combos
Round 4 - Spam gun @ full screen, Khan will periodically throw hammer, jump it.
Took me about 5 attempts to win.

It took a bit for the game to lighten up and start allowing some health bonuses between rounds... but once it did, I somehow pulled out a miraculous victory using project brutal justice.

I had a heart attack when I saw the credits after 300 and the trophy didn't pop.
I then found out I somehow missed challenges 286 and 287...

Let me tell you, 287 was a straight up bitch.
I had my fight stick upside down and was trying to limit button usage to not confuse my hands much more than they were... and then randomly, it put my buttons right. I still lost. Eventually I got it and boom, trophy! ^_^

Done with single player, save for the mastery trophies.

grkazan12

Hey guys anyone need a Kitana Classic skin code(Xbox 360), looking to trade for a PS3 classic skin code. Preferably one of the ninjas (except Reptile) or Ermac.

Nemesis_

grkazan12 said:
Hey guys anyone need a Kitana Classic skin code(Xbox 360), looking to trade for a PS3 classic skin code. Preferably one of the ninjas (except Reptile) or Ermac.

I'll give you Jade! Is that okay? She's a Ninja! =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom