• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rattles

In the art book they talk about the blood fountains in the pit bottom saying "we're not going to show you where the blood comes from - yet.". Have they shown where the blood comes from yet or is that a hint at a dlc stage?

fernoca

KevinCow said:
Someone told him there were 8 stage fatalities. The person who told him that counted The Pit (Night) and The Pit (Day) as separate fatalities, increasing the count by 1. He was disappointed when he realized that there were not 8 stage fatalities like he was told, but 7.

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. I'm half asleep and thought the way he said it was perfectly clear.
But the person was wrong anyway. There are 6 stages fatalities anyway (the way I've counted it at least in the OT). 9 counting the 3 possible ones in Kratos. Adding the Pit twice is what brings the total to 7, not subtracting one from 8.

1. The Deadpool: Sends the opponent to the acid-bath.
2. The Living Forest: Sends the opponent to a tree that eats half of the opponent.
3. Netherrealm: Grabs the opponent and puts his/her face on lava.
4. The Pit: Sends the opponent to the bottom-spikes.
5. The Street: Throws the opponent to an upcoming car, which blows the head of him/her
6. The Subway: Smashes the opponent's face into a passing train then throws him/her to the opposite passing train.

Carnby

KevinCow said:
Uh. Reread his post. I think you completely misinterpreted everything he said.

Someone told him there were 8 stage fatalities. The person who told him that counted The Pit (Night) and The Pit (Day) as separate fatalities, increasing the count by 1. He was disappointed when he realized that there were not 8 stage fatalities like he was told, but 7.

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. I'm half asleep and thought the way he said it was perfectly clear.

Thank you Kevin. I can't believe it took this many posts for someone to understand my point. Again, thank you.

I think it's safe to say no one in this thread splits atoms at their day job.

Monocle

big_z said:
jump over him, punching on the way down and then do an uppercut. do this over and over.
you can spam projectiles from a distance but some times he's a dick with the hammer. however when he's not he'll just stand there taking hits or blocking which gives you time to build specialty meter.
I wish I'd thought of using airborne punches. I just jumped over Shao Khan and did an uppercut or a sweep. Most of the time I went for a sweep because the uppercut has awful range and I seldom landed right behind him.

KevinCow

Banned
fernoca said:
But the person was wrong anyway. There are 6 stages fatalities anyway (the way I've counted it at least in the OT). 9 counting the 3 possible ones in Kratos. Adding the Pit twice is what brings the total to 7, not subtracting one from 8.

When cycling through the stages, there are 8 stages that have a skull. That's what they counted. The 6 you listed, +1 for the extra Pit, +1 for the God of War level, which they didn't count as three separate ones.

Why is this so hard.

Carnby

fernoca said:
??? :p
Stages is one thing, stage fatalities is another. There are 24 (+Kratos') stages, not counting day/night variants. You can perform a stage fatality on The Pit (Night), which sends them to The Pit Bottom. You can't perform a stage fatality in the Bottom,.

There are only 6 stages fatalities (9 if you count the 3 you can do on Kratos' stage):

2. The Living Forest: Sends the opponent to a tree that eats half of the opponent.
5. The Street: Throws the opponent to an upcoming car, which blows the head of him/her
6. The Subway: Smashes the opponent's face into a passing train then throws him/her to the opposite passing train.

7. Kratos' stage
8. The Pit (again.) <--Because that was the point of my post.

I figured that was Kratos' stage.

I felt they could have did a better job. That stage was way too tame for a god of war.

Remember GoW II when you're fighting that giant statue in the burning city? That whole scene would have made for a great Kratos level.

KevinCow

Banned
Dark Octave said:
I figured that was Kratos' stage.

I felt they could have did a better job. That stage was way too tame for a god of war.

Remember GoW II when you're fighting that giant statue in the burning city? That whole scene would have made for a great Kratos level.

Kratos's whole appearance is based almost entirely on God of War 3, which I found a bit disappointing. The stage and its fatality are pretty significant to GoW3, but not really what I think of first when I think of the series.

Same with all his moves. They have 3 main games and 2 PSP games to take stuff from, all with plenty of unique attacks, and yet they decided to only use moves from GoW3? I wish they'd have made a move set more representative of the series as a whole instead of just GoW3. At the very least, he should've had Poseidon's Rage, and he should've used Medusa's Head for his stun move instead of Helios's.

Though I have to say, his babality is easily the most hilarious.

Darklord

Banned
Sweet jesus, why can't you skip cutscenes? I finished
the MK1 part of the story
then quit. When I came back to play just now I had to watch the entire thing again, about 4 minutes long. Geez!

Struct09

Darklord said:
then quit. When I came back to play just now I had to watch the entire thing again, about 4 minutes long. Geez!

Probably because the game is loading during the cutscenes

Darklord said:
I think you can skip them once you clear the story.

test_account

XP-39C²
Some of the babalities are pretty funny. I laughed especially at Kratos' one hehe :)

Houston3000 said:
You built up X-Ray quickly when the opponent blocks your special attacks. If you're playing Liu Kang spamming Bicycle Kick and Fireballs quickly will fill up your meter in no time.
Ah ok, thanks for the info :) Thanks to lyonaz too for the tip on how to complete challenge tower #157 as well =)

(sorry for the late reply here, didnt get around to answer earlier).

Shin_Kojima said:
I think you can skip them once you clear the story.
Yep, that is correct.

I'm having a terrible time as Raiden. Probably because the button set-up I'm using on my arcade stick is terrible for executing his combos. Getting through his chapters by spamming teleport + electrocute or full-screen FLYING SMASH.

I hate cheesing, even against computer, but screw this I want to finish story mode.

Draft

Incendiary said:
I'm having a terrible time as Raiden. Probably because the button set-up I'm using on my arcade stick is terrible for executing his combos. Getting through his chapters by spamming teleport + electrocute or full-screen FLYING SMASH.

I hate cheesing, even against computer, but screw this I want to finish story mode.
The first stick setup I tried emulated the X layout. I wasn't very happy with the results.

The second setup was to run FP, BP, FK, BK along the top 4 buttons, with BLK, Tag and switch stance on the bottom 3. This has worked out pretty well. The thumb naturally sits over BLK, the 4 fingers can each easily hit primary attacks, and it's pretty natural to slide over and hit tag. It still feels a little off hitting X Rays, though.

Weenerz

Banned
The attention to detail is astounding for this game. Turning Kano into a baby actually has his metal plate thing being too heavy and he topples over.

When are the DLC characters coming?

fernoca

Weenerz said:
When are the DLC characters coming?
There's no date or official announcement yet. :/

If anything, they'll (WB) probably make sure PS Store is back up; before any announcement. The Store was announced for "later this month", then again..the online service was "expected last week".

This game really needs region matching for the online. I just got into a King of the Hill room with two guys from Canada and a dude from...Poland. I'm in Georgia. It feels like Gears of War 2 all over again.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The babalities are absolutely disturbing. Babies are just plain ugly. Would've much preferred Friendships or Hara-Kiris.

fernoca

AnEternalEnigma said:
This game really needs region matching for the online. I just got into a King of the Hill room with two guys from Canada and a dude from...Poland. I'm in Georgia. It feels like Gears of War 2 all over again.
There's apparently a region-lock for quick/ranked-matches, etc. (at least that was what they said some months ago, during the Brazil-playtest were everyone thought at first that the lock would also prevent people between west/east-coast in the US to play).

But if the person creates a room (in this case, King of the Hill) and invites friends from different regions, and one happens to end in that room while searching; they can't do much about that.

GrayFoxPL

Sub_Level said:
The babalities are absolutely disturbing. Babies are just plain ugly. Would've much preferred Friendships or Hara-Kiris.

Or Brutalities combined with Babalities, right? Someone's girlfriend would be happy. ;]

Man... Challenge Tower wasn't playtested at all it seems. I was just through Kano challenge where you had to push preset buttons showed on screen...Only that it was only programed for the first default preset. It's fucked up and doesn't work otherwise. How could they miss it?

On the other hand I love that in some tower fights enemies upper body just gloriously explode when you defeat them. That would be perfect for Mega/Super Endurance Survival type mode. Please make it happen!

About Stage Fatals, I'm pretty sure I unlocked few in the crypt because it was for characters I didn't even use yet. But maybe there's a glitch.

I can't do the triple overhead kicks with cage (f+bk x3). Is the timing so hard or maybe it was disabled with those stealth patches or maybe I suck so bad?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sub_Level said:

lol I think that is the point.

Wouldn't be surprised if the round table went like this:

"We have resources to animate one category of bonus -alities."

"Babalities, Animalities, Suicide, Friendships?"

"Which one do people hate the most?"

"Hmm... the babies for sure. Those are just goddamn weird."

"Babalities it is."

fernoca

GrayFoxPL said:
About Stage Fatals, I'm pretty sure I unlocked few in the crypt because it was for characters I didn't even use yet. But maybe there's a glitch.
Maybe it was a kombat kode or an art; but not there at all. I also unlocked everything + the chests around a week ago; and double-checked to make sure. :p

Tadale

I think the babalities are great. The game feels most like Mortal Kombat II to me, so I think its an appropriate choice.

fernoca

Yeah, plus with the added animations and stuff; is like they mixed Babalities with Friendships; so it's the best of both. :p

They could've gone for the easy route of just putting a generic baby and that's it; but went the extra mile and animated each one differently; so more props to them. :)

Darklord

Banned
Hmm, is there a way to play tag team with a friend on my side? I know it's possible if you have 2 people on the one console but I can't figure out how to do it with 2 people on 2 consoles. Surely you can? Why would they have it as local co-op only?

fernoca

Darklord said:
Hmm, is there a way to play tag team with a friend on my side? I know it's possible if you have 2 people on the one console but I can't figure out how to do it with 2 people on 2 consoles. Surely you can? Why would they have it as local co-op only?
You mean 2 people online on different consoles? Then, nope..you can't. At least that's what others said, based on Xbox Live. PSN is down, so I can't verify that; though I don't remember being able to when I played online back then.

Glass Joe

fernoca said:
There are only 6 stages fatalities (9 if you count the 3 you can do on Kratos' stage):

This I feel was the laziest part of the new Mortal Kombat, although the 6 we do get are pretty cool. But I was intentionally trying to not spoil these for myself when I got the game, only to find out that Netherrealm spoiled them all before release. They claimed that "most" stages had them, when really only 1/4 of them do.

No fatality in The Pit bottom? C'mon, that doesn't take a creative mind (Think Shang Tsung's MK3 spike fatality, for instance). In fact, many of them appear to be set up for a cool ass fatality, they just... don't have them.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps more will be added via game updates to keep the game fresh. All the classic arcade MK's had multiple releases with cool stuff added. For example, the first release of MK1 didn't have Reptile and MK2 didn't have the Dead Pool fatality until Version 3. So, maybe their line of thought is that people will be more willing to pick the game up again if some of this is added later on:

"Skarlett? Meh, I've already seen everything MK has to offer..." vs "Skarlett? And more stage fatalities? And Brutalities? Shoot, I gotta pick this up."

But please don't mistake my complaining: I think MK is an awesome game and finally they have a worthy addition to the 2D ones. But I actually sort of hope they keep their old-school mentality on updates with this, and try to make a MK v2.0 instead of MK 1.0 with DLC Skarlett.

Dacon

Banned
Anyone else think the bosses are kind of easy? Shao Kahn is a bitch, but once you get down his pattern the only real danger in fighting him is getting caught in his pace. Characters with teleportation moves have a special advantage in the fight against him imo.

So far my favorite mains are Sub Zero, Jax, Kitana, Scorpion, and Sonya Blade.

I couldn't say I had that many in the old games.

Darklord

Banned
fernoca said:
You mean 2 people online on different consoles? Then, nope..you can't. At least that's what others said, based on Xbox Live. PSN is down, so I can't verify that; though I don't remember being able to when I played online back then.

Ah that's lame. I wonder why they made tag team co-op local only. :\

GrayFoxPL

Dacon said:
Anyone else think the bosses are kind of easy? Shao Kahn is a bitch, but once you get down his pattern the only real danger in fighting him is getting caught in his pace. Characters with teleportation moves have a special advantage in the fight against him imo.

So far my favorite mains are Sub Zero, Jax, Kitana, Scorpion, and Sonya Blade.

I couldn't say I had that many in the old games.

Definitely. Goro and Kintaro are free. Kahn is easy but fun to fight against. But he's like 1/8 difficultyof Trilogy Kahn. None of the bosses are even at Motaro level.
But it's funny but sometimes cpu randomly switches to pro mode for one of the regular characters, like today for Sindel, lol.

But it's cool that bosses aren't frustrating.

On other case I found that Johnny Cage and Kano complete themselves as an awesome Tag team.

What are your picks guys?

Darklord said:

So you could get closer to your friend. :O

Dacon

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Definitely. Goro and Kintaro are free. Kahn is easy but fun to fight against. But he's like 1/8 difficultyof Trilogy Kahn. None of the bosses are even at Motaro level.
But it's funny but sometimes cpu randomly switches to pro mode for one of the regular characters, like today for Sindel, lol.

Oh wow Sindel. She's completely dicked on my head a couple times out of nowhere. Often after being totally dominated in the first round. It's definitely weird.

Kintaro and Goro are pah-thetic. I've gotten so many flawless victories off Kintaro opposed to Goro, that it no longer amuses me. Which is funny because Kintaro is presented in the story as if he's bigger and badder than Goro.

Btw anyone know where Sonya's alt is located on the Krypt map?

fernoca

Darklord said:
Technical reasons probably. One thing is one console sending information online to another player and another thing is 2 players across different locations, alternating and tagging and doing combinations ...against 2 others from 2 different places. On FPS is doable since less data is sent (and even some still don't do it, like Killzone 3 being able to do coop offline, but not online), for a fighter is more complicated.

Same way there's no online Test Your Luck, citing technical reasons. With up to 6 different variables in-game, it affects stability of the connection and fluidity; when one's having blackouts..and the other person is having them a second or two later; while there's fire in the ground.

GrayFoxPL

Dacon said:
Oh wow Sindel. She's completely dicked on my head a couple times out of nowhere. Often after being totally dominated in the first round. It's definitely weird.

Kintaro and Goro are pah-thetic. I've gotten so many flawless victories off Kintaro opposed to Goro, that it no longer amuses me. Which is funny because Kintaro is presented in the story as if he's bigger and badder than Goro.

Btw anyone know where Sonya's alt is located on the Krypt map?

Sonya Alt is on the forest part. Somewhere at the beginning on the right side. Sorry for lame specifics but I just unlocked her alt just 3 hours ago, and that's all I remember.

Dacon

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Sonya Alt is on the forest part. Somewhere at the beginning on the right side. Sorry for lame specifics but I just unlocked her alt just 3 hours ago, and that's all I remember.

Thanks bub.

Khezu

@noobde I wana play MK2 on my 360. Please Boon make it happen! Noobde: Be patient... :)

Hmm.

Personally I don't really care that much, mk9 is leagues better then any of the past MK's and it would be very difficult to go back, even with shiny HD graphics.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tadale said:
I think the babalities are great. The game feels most like Mortal Kombat II to me, so I think its an appropriate choice.
It feels more like the game MK: Deadly Alliance should have been to me. The movement is more deliberate than MK2 and the combo system isn't as restrictive. In all likelihood it's the true sequel to MKvDC but I never put much time into that game.

Khezu

I already knew it, but even brady says baraka is shit and the absolute worst character in the game and totally unusable.

I'm not really sure what they can do with him, but I hope he gets buffed a whole lot.

Malice215

sleepykyo said:
http://www.justin.tv/savepointgamingtv#/w/1180437968

Tom Brady (not the football player) on stream and answering questions. And I assume some MK9 later in the rotation.

Today is supposed to be SSF4, MK9, and MVC3. MVC3 is live now.

There's also two MK9 tournaments. One with standard rules and one where if your opponent performs a fatality, you are completely out of the tournament.

http://shoryuken.com/f7/battlefield-arcadia-@-play-n-trade-killing-field-05-08-11-a-272219/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom