• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaijima said:
lol I think that is the point.

Wouldn't be surprised if the round table went like this:

"We have resources to animate one category of bonus -alities."

"Babalities, Animalities, Suicide, Friendships?"

"Which one do people hate the most?"

"Hmm... the babies for sure. Those are just goddamn weird."

"Babalities it is."
Seems like suicides would be the cheapest to make, but the least interesting and unknown. And the second cheapest would be babalities, due to not having to design any more resources and just simplifying the character model and requires one rig. Animilality would have probably taken a lot of work, especially rigging/animating animals and friendships would probably require a lot more assets in terms of props ect. Havent seen all the baby ones though...

fernoca

Darknessbear said:
Seems like suicides would be the cheapest to make, but the least interesting and unknown. And the second cheapest would be babalities, due to not having to design any more resources and just simplifying the character model and requires one rig. Animilality would have probably taken a lot of work, especially rigging/animating animals and friendships would probably require a lot more assets in terms of props ect. Havent seen all the baby ones though...
Well, seeing how in the Babalities they kinda mixed Friendships with (some of) them, more than resources or "cost", it was more of a design choice. Seeing how each baby has it's own animation and clothing; while the actual baby model is similar across most; it's also different across others (Kano, Reptile, etc.)

They should bring back suicides/Hara-Kiris, simply because it adds to the rush of "pressing the right buttons at the end", so both players make inputs and the ones that makes them faster has the "pleasure" of taking the life of that character

Frankfurt

Banned
Khezu said:
Hmm.

Personally I don't really care that much, mk9 is leagues better then any of the past MK's and it would be very difficult to go back, even with shiny HD graphics.

I'm torn between the rumored reshot HD "sprites" and the cleaned-up sprites we've seen in the stage vignettes. Still, I would love to have the games in one console, even if it's just 1-UMK3.

Volcynika

I might be late on this bit, but I am annoyed story mode doesn't have skippable cutscenes. Or me just hitting every button and such didn't do anything.

Frankfurt

Banned
Volcynika said:
I might be late on this bit, but I am annoyed story mode doesn't have skippable cutscenes. Or me just hitting every button and such didn't do anything.

Did you notice Story Mode has "no" loading?

You would be waiting the same amount of time one way or the other.

NIN90

I think the unskippable cutscenes are more of a "we put some serious work into these cutscenes and you damn well watch them!" thing.
That's why they are skippable on the second playthrough.
Fighting game players are probably pretty bad with skipping cutscenes.

Frankfurt

Banned
Volcynika said:
Yeah, but I don't want to watch a cutscene I've already seen! :/

So you would rather look at a loading screen instead?

I'm not saying they did the best thing ever, but hey, I think I'm rather rewatch a nice cutscene than look at those same old loading screens any day.

Also, seems Skarlett's ending is already doing the rounds' and there are buttocks involved. I'm not watching it until she's downloaded to my 360, though.

Volcynika

Frankfurt said:
So you would rather look at a loading screen instead?

I'm not saying they did the best thing ever, but hey, I think I'm rather rewatch a nice cutscene than look at those same old loading screens any day.

Also, seems Skarlett's ending is already doing the rounds' and there are buttocks involved. I'm not watching it until she's downloaded to my 360, though.

Yes, I'd be fine with a loading screen, since some of the cutscenes do seem longer than the loading I've seen outside of story mode. I'm OK with watching them the first time, but when it seems to save after fights rather than before in every case, I usually watch the scene after and then quit. They do have a lot of work put into them, but I was just annoyed at the lack of the option to skip.

djkimothy

I think it's sick that people are pulling off these combos on a pad when I'm stumbling like I'm all thumbs trying to pull off the listed combos.

When I play online I never see fights like these streams, instead it's scorp, smoke or noob cheese spam which is hard to avoid on a sub-par netcode, it's a real shame as I don't really know anyone local to play against in the UK

fernoca said:
Press XMB/Guide button = Pause. :p
360 guide doesn't pause MK9 cut scenes for some reason, I tried and missed one.

Bleepey

Diablohead said:
When I play online I never see fights like these streams, instead it's scorp, smoke or noob cheese spam which is hard to avoid on a sub-par netcode, it's a real shame as I don't really know anyone local to play against in the UK

360 guide doesn't pause MK9 cut scenes for some reason, I tried and missed one.
go to neoempire.com for the UK fighting game scene.

sleepykyo

Diablohead said:

Online gameplay? What is this witchcraft that you speak of?

Give it some time for Kung Lao, Ermac, Reptile and Smoke.

DasRaven

ethic said:
why don't these competition dudes ever do finishing moves?

They add no value in a tournament situation. They prolong the length of the set. They break the momentum of a win by allowing the opponent a breather.
When you've got your opponent "downloaded" you want them ousted before they regroup. There's more reasons, but those are probably the majors.

Shit. I knew the final story mode fight was going to be difficult, but good lord is it annoying. One mistake and basically half my health is gone. I just love it when he winds up his X-Ray and I try to attempt a teleport, only to end up doing a piddly-ass jump instead and take 50% damage. Or when I successfully do a teleport, then try to uppercut but instead he sticks out his hands going 'AHHH' and not doing anything leaving me wide open to get my ass kicked.

Bugger.

Jrmint

Incendiary said:
Shit. I knew the final story mode fight was going to be difficult, but good lord is it annoying. One mistake and basically half my health is gone. I just love it when he winds up his X-Ray and I try to attempt a teleport, only to end up doing a piddly-ass jump instead and take 50% damage. Or when I successfully do a teleport, then try to uppercut but instead he sticks out his hands going 'AHHH' and not doing anything leaving me wide open to get my ass kicked.

Bugger.
Teleport and Uppercut anytime he taunts or throws his hammer.
Best strat to win in my opinion.

robot

Questions probably been answered a million times, but are you able to do a characters second fatality even if it hasn't been unlocked in the crypt yet? I can't seem to pull off Jades second, but am able to do stage fatalities and her babality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom