• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
Shin_Kojima said:
Sometimes they have other beneficial effects though. Smokes enhanced invisibility makes him truly invisible, and his enhanced smokebomb has a bigger hitbox so it's easier to use in combos.

And things like that seem useful, sure. Just not quite one-third-of-my-super-bar useful.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
KevinCow said:
And things like that seem useful, sure. Just not quite one-third-of-my-super-bar useful.

If they help you set up a 30-40% damage combo then 1 bar of meter is a bargain.

derFeef

So I toyed around with Cyrax last night and he is fun to play because he has so many toys. My only problem is that he is too complex for my simple brain to make good combos.

Some enhanced moves are quicker too, can't think of one right this moment but some people have near instant mid screen punishes using enhanced.

And as some have said enhanced moves can make a combo stronger, this is important if the enemy has 30% hp left and your BnB does 25%, an enhanced move might make it enough.

soloscout

Neo Member
This really is a great installment to the Mortal Kombat series - I've completed story mode (it's excellent), fairly far enough along on the tower, and have played through the Arcade Ladder many times. Now I really want to focus on online play (I'm on Xbox Live), but sadly, for me at least, the lag in many of my matches in unbearable to the point where if I'm playing with someone like Ermac (with his touchy combo timings) it's really tough to pull out a win against a good opponent. I was hoping lag would get better as the weeks go by but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Has anyone had any positive experiences with this on Xbox Live?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Finished the Challenge Tower last night (after losing all my progress due to a corrupted save before). Yay! End Game isn't too bad if you have a solid bnb with your main and watch out for unblockable bullshit.

I think I've only got Ranked achievements left now... and I don't feel like touching online Ranked until the netcode is fixed. I rage hard when I lose to lag. Oh, and I still have the ridiculous Master Every Character achievement to get.

MoxManiac

soloscout said:
This really is a great installment to the Mortal Kombat series - I've completed story mode (it's excellent), fairly far enough along on the tower, and have played through the Arcade Ladder many times. Now I really want to focus on online play (I'm on Xbox Live), but sadly, for me at least, the lag in many of my matches in unbearable to the point where if I'm playing with someone like Ermac (with his touchy combo timings) it's really tough to pull out a win against a good opponent. I was hoping lag would get better as the weeks go by but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Has anyone had any positive experiences with this on Xbox Live?

Very few fighting games this gen have good netcode. Honestly, from what i've played, the only fighters that have acceptable netcode are Blazblue, HDR, and MvC2. SSF4 and MvC3 are fine if you are playing other people in the same state as you, but goes south when you start having distance between players.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MoxManiac said:
Very few fighting games this gen have good netcode. Honestly, from what i've played, the only fighters that have acceptable netcode are Blazblue, HDR, and MvC2. SSF4 and MvC3 are fine if you are playing other people in the same state as you, but goes south when you start having distance between players.

Mortal Kombat is in a league of its own as far as unplayability online. Unless all people who picked up this game just have terrible connections, it's definitely not up to the par of SSFIV or MvC3. I've never had laggier matches against randoms, and lobbies larger than 3 start chugging.

bumpkin

Beaulieu said:
that last story mode fight is kicking my ass
Wait, dodge, and punish... Just keep your distance and wait for Kahn to taunt and then hit him hard while he's flapping his gums. You can duck his arrows and jump his hammer throw (though the timing is weird). I found that a jump kick and superman combo was a quick easy way to do damage.

I got the game on 360 today, and already I plan on returning it. The Y-axis sensitivity on the control stick is ridiculous; if you nudge it even slightly upwards or downwards while moving forward or backwards, your character jumps or ducks. I tried with two controllers to see if it made a difference, but it didn't.

I hate using the 360 D-Pad (I use the stick for SSIV and MvC3), and I have no desire to play it on PS3, as all my friends are on 360.

The Lamonster said:
I hope PSN matches play better than they did on launch day. It has been an agonizing wait.

I doubt it. I listened to one of the recent SRK podcast with the GGPO creator and to me it sounds like the only way netcode in a fighting game can be great is if they design the game with rollbacks in mind from the start. I don't think its something that they can easily patch in. It requires more RAM (to store the last confirmed valid game state) and more CPU power (to catch up to the current game state) to work. (btw, this to me makes a compelling argument for next-gen systems-- more RAM & cpu power for netcode use)

Your best bet is to have a wired controller, turn on Game mode on your TV, and ensure your PS3 is wired into your router to reduce lag as much as possible. And then just hope you get matched with someone else who has a good connection.

Off-Topic: I'm betting on 3rd Strike online to have amazing netcode though. Sven said they have a bigger budget on it than HD Remix which sounds pretty crazy.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Shotgun Kiss said:
I got the game on 360 today, and already I plan on returning it. The Y-axis sensitivity on the control stick is ridiculous; if you nudge it even slightly upwards or downwards while moving forward or backwards, your character jumps or ducks. I tried with two controllers to see if it made a difference, but it didn't.

I hate using the 360 D-Pad (I use the stick for SSIV and MvC3), and I have no desire to play it on PS3, as all my friends are on 360.

Pick up a fightpad or a fightstick. There's probably more of a deadzone in those.

Capcom have the best fighting netcode IMO, but I have not played blazblue at all so can't compare. Only time I had a laggy match in SF4 was when I played a 2 bar ping user or on the pc version someone running the game with a too higher/lower framerate causing the game to play in slow motion (use vsync, people!)

Nemesis_

Diablohead said:
Capcom have the best fighting netcode IMO, but I have not played blazblue at all so can't compare. Only time I had a laggy match in SF4 was when I played a 2 bar ping user or on the pc version someone running the game with a too higher/lower framerate causing the game to play in slow motion (use vsync, people!)

Arc System Works > Capcom >>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else.

That's for sure. Capcom's fighting games perform pretty well and heaps above any other fighter out there, but the way BlazBlue runs almost exactly the same as offline matches makes me wonder why they haven't seen a need to catch it up.

Still a bit disappointed by MK's online offerings, even when playing against someone in the same country.

Sblargh

Banned
I dreamed this guy was a poster here on neogaf and the original Sub Zero actor: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Gómez_Bolaños (yes, it is The Chavo).
Argh, I just forgot how his exactly post went, but was something along the lines:
"I am happy with the success of this Mortal Kombat and don't want to criticize the new guy doing Sub Zero, but cmon guys! You know me! I'm the original!"

GrayFoxPL

Sblargh said:
I dreamed this guy was a poster here on neogaf and the original Sub Zero actor: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Gómez_Bolaños (yes, it is The Chavo).
Argh, I just forgot how his exactly post went, but was something along the lines:
"I am happy with the success of this Mortal Kombat and don't want to criticize the new guy doing Sub Zero, but cmon guys! You know me! I'm the original!"

Lol awesome dream.

I got fucked up dreams lately. :(

Glass Joe

Shotgun Kiss said:

Some new official XBox pads have a transforming D-pad. I picked one up earlier and it's light years better than what I was using before. If the original pad was a 3/10 the new one would be an 8/10 easy. Of course, for the money you'd probably have to have other games you'd like it for too.

I can't seem to find a comfortable controller configuration that uses block. Maybe I hold the controller weird, but with fighting games I keep my entire right hand on the face buttons so I can use combos quickly. Sort of how you would use it in an arcade, if that makes any sense. It works great in this game, but it makes it almost impossible to hit the trigger when I need to defend. I tried messing with configurations and moved the block to different trigger, but that really screws up the X-ray attacks. Any suggestions?

PS3 version. Can't believe I forgot to mention that.

Glass Joe said:
Some new official XBox pads have a transforming D-pad. I picked one up earlier and it's light years better than what I was using before. If the original pad was a 3/10 the new one would be an 8/10 easy. Of course, for the money you'd probably have to have other games you'd like it for too.

People in this thread have been complaining about that dpad breaking rather quickly.

Frankfurt

Banned
Shotgun Kiss said:

Even attempting to use the analog stick is insane. Just use the d-pad, it's a million times better than any analog stick will ever be for 2d fighters. There are no quarter circle or half circle moves in MK, you can just tap down-forward. The 360-pad issues with corners is meaningless in MK.

cuevas said:
People in this thread have been complaining about that dpad breaking rather quickly.

They were either unlucky or are abusing their controllers because between my friends and I, we have 4 of them and haven't had any issues.

Arde5643

KevinCow said:
Enhanced moves just seem so expensive for what they do. They do like 5% more damage at best, and a lot of them are extremely situational. They rarely seem worth a third of your X-Ray.
Depends on the characters - some characters have good ex moves but crappy x-ray.

Kabal is one of em - great ex move (ex run has armor) where using meters for ex run and breaker is better than using ex moves for x-rays.

Liu Kang is on the opposite end of the spectrum where meter is better spent on breakers or x-rays to kill rather than his highly cruddy ex-moves outside of ex-parry on wake-up.

Smokes teleport punch is good with bar, that above final hit catches a lot of people off guard who think you are open to attack after the second dash.

Monocle

So I just found the strategy of infinite awesome for cheesing AI with Raiden. FK,FK,BK is safe, so if it's blocked you can start up another one right away with no fear of punishment. Not only that, but the last couple hits have better range than an uppercut, and the last hit can be comboed into Raiden's superman tackle (b,f+FK).

What does this mean? Well, as stated above, against normal enemies you can spam FK,FK,BK all day long and you'll go pretty much untouched. If the last hit connects you can combo it into a superman to bring them to a corner, where your options get even better.

Against a large enemy or Shao Khan, wait for the opponent to taunt or attack, teleport (d,u) behind them, and start your combo. I kicked Shao Khan's ass on my second try using this strategy.

A sample of some very basic combos off the kick string:

FK,FK,BK, b,f+FK (23% damage, 13% against Shao Khan)
FK,FK,BK, (corner) FK,FK,BK, FK,FK,BK (33%)
FK,FK,BK, (corner) FK,FK,BK, FK,FK, b,f+FK (34%)
FK,FK,BK, (corner) FK,FK,BK, FK,FK, x-ray (43%)

Edit:
DryEyeRelief said:
I hope you like Tanya.
I love her just for her insanely nasty hara-kiri in Deception. If there's one thing this game is missing, it's suicides like that.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
kung lao with 2 bars can almost kill you..i see a third bar as a 'just in case'. I only xray if its a guaranteed win. Hell i barely even use breakers unless its absolutely necessary.

Meohsix

i just got the Prima e-mail also... which is weird because i didn't buy the guide, or email them my info for the replacement cards. o_O

Yeah for prima if you got the guide make sure you get a code to redeem the updated eguide and get them to send you the new reference cards as well. Got the eGuide code a few days back and got the reference card email today.

Blueblur1

Wait, there's an issue with the physical cards that came with the guide? (Yeah, I totally haven't checked them out despite the fact that they're currently sitting to the left of my keyboard.) :p

I did, however, notice that in the Kollector's Edition guide there is a page of Liu Kang's combos that are all actually Kano's. Noticed that while trying to make Liu do a Kanoball. :/

GuessWho

GrayFoxPL said:
Lol awesome dream.

I got fucked up dreams lately. :(

lol, last night I had a dream where i was in the subway and went up to some random restaurant stand and I sold my MK fight-stick for some Sharma. all my friends went crazy at me - how can you do that and I felt like shit and so dumb.
When I woke up I couldn't be happier to have the fight stick in my possession. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom