• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

CartridgeBlower said:
The more I play it, the more I like it.

For as much as I loved SFIV this generation, I'm starting to think MK might be better. Certainly more fun.

Really interesting to see if Capcom takes anything away from MK. And if so, what.

There's no denying that the fighting in MK has improved and become a direct competitor to SF.

It's on...

I don't think they will take anything from MK because other than online which is way shitter on MK but has more modes, SF and MVC are superior feeling games to me, I just wish that Capcom would have had more online modes but other than that they really don't need to.

MK is a game I feel that well it's fun for a while the game will not hold up down the line which is exactly what the 3d games did last generation, fun for a while but than got pretty boring.

ezekial45 said:
I agree. MK feels like a much more complete fighting game (in terms of content) compared to SFIV and MVC3. Compared to MK, those games are practically bare bones. It's sorta why i got tired of those games so quickly. The fighting system in place in SF and MvC are great, but without much content to back it up, i just got bored with it really fast. As much as i like it, i'm not those other players than can keep playing it for 200+ hours.

MK just has much more stuff to keep me busy with (Challenge tower, Arcade Ladder, Story mode, Krypt).

In terms of content on singleplayer, yes MK has way more than MVC but I would say that once that content is done for Mk than it will be forgotten because I'm just trying to get through the challenge tower and it's ok but it's definitely not keeping my interest compared to other fighters, I am really hoping they are gonna improve the online because right now the online is one of the worst out of any game just for trying to keep a stable connection or even to get into a match without lag.

fernoca

mrplaid said:
Quick plot question (which may have been answered in the preceeding posts, so sorry if it was)...
WHEN was Scorpion's family killed? Is it intentionally vague? The flashback in Story Mode makes it look like his family was killed in ancient times. Is Scorpion super-old and too revenge-nuts to notice that he's not in ancient Japan anymore? Or was his clan like the Japanese equivalent of the Amish (in that they shunned modern technology)?
Well, the actual time hasn't been said explicitly. Though it's obvious that it was under 50 years before the tournament, since the elder Sub-Zero was part of the group that killed his clan. So, probably around the 1940s? The Sub-Zero brothers are not immortals neither of Edenian blood (which grow older at a much lower pace). In the original cannon i twas relatively close to the tournament as Mythologies implies, since Sub-Zero in that cannon received the invitation to the tournament right after finishing his mission in Mythologies.

In that aspect, is like your "amish example" this clans are more about tradition and honor, rather than "lol we don't believe in technology". He wants revenge more than anything, because he was told to, since Quan Chi's purpose it seems to have revenge against Sub-Zero; again..at least in the original cannon.

So, yep..at the moment it is intentionally vague. :p

Lothars said:
I don't think they will take anything from MK because other than online which is way shitter on MK but has more modes, SF and MVC are superior feeling games to me, I just wish that Capcom would have had more online modes but other than that they really don't need to.

MK is a game I feel that well it's fun for a while the game will not hold up down the line which is exactly what the 3d games did last generation, fun for a while but than got pretty boring.
Keep in mind that he said it was superior to him, same way you replied that SF and MvC are superior..to you.

Opinions and personal choices are not "wrong" but just that, points of view. How more people will continue playing MK, it's kinda hard to tell at this moment when the game's not even 1 month old. You and people you know not playing the 3D games that much, doesn't mean that everyone else did the same either.

For all we know, this new MK might not be the success many expected in tournaments, but still have a lengthy life online and in local/friendly competitions because of the DLC and other new things.

And as far as "one company taking things from other, it won't happen.
it didn't happen last gen with Tekken 5 including more items, a story mode and arcade ports of the first 3 games...it won't happen now on an era of DLC and re-releases as "games of the year". So I don't know why some still have this idea that Capcom will take notes ...now.

GrayFoxPL said:
I was checking imdb site fore mortal kombat and noticed that some characters have 3 voice actors. I understand the story and battle need 2 separate, but 3? Oh maybe for the screens.

I searched for one of the actresses listed, and her website listed her as being the Mo-Cap for the character, so I don't think it's all voices.

Slamtastic said:
I searched for one of the actresses listed, and her website listed her as being the Mo-Cap for the character, so I don't think it's all voices.

I can see it being three... Raiden's superman yell and scorpion's famous words were directly ripped from their original source but just beefed up to sound better now so... basically 1 actor that did the voices in MK/MKII/MKIII, one for MK9, and one maybe again from MK/MKII/MKIII

even though i loved portal 2 ( haven't done the co-op yet, cause of MK) i ended up loving mortal kombat way more, which is so bizarre, cause i never liked mortal kombat at all. it's so awesome when games catch you off guard like this.

NEO0MJ

boredofcanada said:
even though i loved portal 2 ( haven't done the co-op yet, cause of MK) i ended up loving mortal kombat way more, which is so bizarre, cause i never liked mortal kombat at all. it's so awesome when games catch you off guard like this.

Indeed. When I originally picked up MK it was an impulse buy due to the stores running out of Portal 2. Don't regret it at all.

fernoca

Though information from IMDB regarding casting ,should be taking with a grain of salt; since anyone with an account can add info to it. Which is why sometimes many characters/actors appear in multiple roles.

The actual game, doesn't list who voiced who; which is disappointing. Heck, IMDb lists Jeff Pilson from Heavy Metal as the voice of Johnny Cage and I haven't seen that listed on any other site (that didn't take it from IMDb); and that would be quite ..big. Same IMDb originally had George Newbern as johnny Cage, based on other sites rumors, which i even thought was right..but now it doesn't.

sleepykyo

fernoca said:
it didn't happen last gen with Tekken 5 including more items, a story mode and arcade ports of the first 3 games...it won't happen now on an era of DLC and re-releases as "games of the year". So I don't know why some still have this idea that Capcom will take notes ...now.

I don't know. Capcom has been getting increasingly western orientated this generation. I'm less concerned about whether they are taking notes than rather what kind of notes are they taking. eg. Evidently we care about Operation Raccoon City because we can kill Leon or DmC needed a makeover because some mythical action game sells 5 million. Shudders at SF x MK or body damage models (that are only superficial).

And Tekken 6 did have an comprehensive story mode, it was just unfortunately designed as an awkward final fight game. But it would be nice the next mainline Tekken had a cohesive story using the actual Tekken combat and SF5 had the actual canon story play out (preferably with Production IG instead of whoever has been doing the current animation).

Pollux

Quick plot question...just finished the game

where do they plan on going form here? everyone is dead?....

fernoca

zmoney said:

Noone knows. It was quite similar to Raiden's explanation in the original MK4 about (centuries earlier)him being responsible for the death of an entire civilization and putting Earthrealm into darkness for centuries...so, maybe there's some connection.

In that original game, because of a war between him and Shinnok, over the control of Earthrealm; Shinnok was imprisoned in Netherrealm and revoked his Elder God status. In this new game
Shinnok and Quan Chi admits that all what happened was as planned, so maybe Shinnok was trying to have Raiden repeat history...by nearly causing the destruction of the Earthrealm.

But we'll see.

Khezu

zmoney said:

There all zombies controlled by quan chi, clearly MK10 is going to be a survival horror starring johnny cage

sleepykyo said:
Shudders at SF x MK
That's actually my main concern.

Really, a good story mode in SF5 would just be a cute bonus.

It wouldn't affect my opinion of the game in the long run or affect my purchase decision.

I really only want Capcom to take notice of MK's popularity and sales in order to get SF vs MK and MK vs SF made.

I don't care what Capcom does with their own games, I only want to:

Experience the ultimate FG dream match from the 90s

Play as MK designs with different attack strength buttons, different strengths of specials, and hold back for block

Use MK characters to beat up SF ones (Even non-violently) for amusement

Dacon

Banned
I definitely hope other fighting game producers and developers take inspiration from MK's story mode. It's so very awesome that they put so much work into a story mode for a fighting game.

The only fighting game I remember having a really interesting story going on was Guilty Gear X2.

Glass Joe

Some noteworthy Ed Boon tweets from today:

RT @drakepiaget Make a free DLC please @noobde Noobde: Ask & u shall receive! :D

RT @dragonleader33 @noobde Are you guys waiting on PSN to come back up before you release the DLC? Noobde: No.

RT @VirtualAlex Boon please tell me I can get reptile's classic costume without buying it on e-bay for $85? Noobde: Ask & u shall receive.

Looks like we'll get the retro costumes free and soon.

Glass Joe said:

RT @drakepiaget Make a free DLC please @noobde Noobde: Ask & u shall receive! :D

RT @dragonleader33 @noobde Are you guys waiting on PSN to come back up before you release the DLC? Noobde: No.

RT @VirtualAlex Boon please tell me I can get reptile's classic costume without buying it on e-bay for $85? Noobde: Ask & u shall receive.

hah would be amazing, ebay buyers tears and all.

I dunno though neverrealm could make some moolah selling retro outfits for any price on xbox live, even for 400 points for the pack the would take like £1.50 per sale after paying microsoft fees.

Glass Joe

Diablohead said:

I dunno though neverrealm could make some moolah selling retro outfits for any price on xbox live, even for 400 points for the pack the would take like £1.50 per sale after paying microsoft fees.

I agree and probably would drop a couple bucks for the retro costumes / fatalities I don't have. But they did make a pretty strong statement earlier, saying we wouldn't have to pay for on-disc content. And maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I don't see what else they'd offer as free DLC.

sleepykyo

Diablohead said:

That doesn't mean the free dlc is the same as the retro outfits. Perhaps the free dlc is a stage or the third fatalties. Or they could be referring to the patch.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I want Street Fighter to be Street Fighter, but if it doesn't have single player content like MK, I am not buying the next one. MK has kept me playing for so many hours while with SFIV I got bored very quickly. I'm not huge on MP, although king of the hill does seem like a lot of fun (waiting for PSN...).

fernoca said:
Keep in mind that he said it was superior to him, same way you replied that SF and MvC are superior..to you.

Opinions and personal choices are not "wrong" but just that, points of view. How more people will continue playing MK, it's kinda hard to tell at this moment when the game's not even 1 month old. You and people you know not playing the 3D games that much, doesn't mean that everyone else did the same either.

He did say "for me" regarding his statements.

I say that it's unfair that you come out as a mediator only when MK's getting bad mouthed.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Glass Joe said:

Boon loves to troll folks on twitter, I'd take this with a grain of salt.

fernoca

DryEyeRelief said:
He did say "for me" regarding his statements.

I say that it's unfair that you come out as a mediator only when MK's getting bad mouthed.
I edited that part of the reply after the question I answered above that, so is not like I was like "argh, someone said something about MK I must reply now!!!!!" so don't assume things; if anything find me evidence that it was my intention.

And silly me for (according to you), being a mediator of Mortal Kombat, in a Mortal Kombat thread. I'm so unfair! :p

Glass Joe

Sinatar said:
Boon loves to troll folks on twitter, I'd take this with a grain of salt.

Boon's hilarious on twitter. I think a lot of folks that get confused aren't down with the twitter lingo. He seems to get misquoted a lot when he's simply just replying to others, or joking with something like a #lies tag at the end. These particular comments don't have anything that could be misinterpreted though.

fernoca said:
I edited that part of the reply after the question I answered above that, so is not like I was like "argh, someone said something about MK I must reply now!!!!!" so don't assume things; if anything find me evidence that it was my intention.

That's not what I mean. The "everyone has their own opinion" card was only played when MK was on the lower end of it. That can be applied to all the praise this game has been getting over others.

fernoca said:
And silly me for (according to you), being a mediator of Mortal Kombat, in a Mortal Kombat thread. I'm so unfair! :p

Are you saying I'm right then?

Fantasmo

Found a couple powerful easy Sonya combos:

Jumping 2, F+2, F+2, Kartwheel, Leg Grab. 30%
Jumping 1, B+2, 1, F+2, Jumpforward 4, Air Throw. 33%

Don't need to start with jump obviously but less damage.

Also, her Military Stance Dash Punches seem neat. Curious to see if they're useful in combat.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I really like this game, but the cheap as shit, 'pull off moves that noone else can' AI in this game is just like every other MK game, and will ensure that i never will tackle the arcade mode above default difficulty. I just dont have the patience to continually deal with the AI pulling superman bs off when its about to die and everything i throw at it is immediately countered, or blocked until im taken apart in seconds by some ridiculous stuff.

Ill still finish with all the chars in arcade, and tackle challenge tower.

fernoca

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I really like this game, but the cheap as shit, 'pull off moves that noone else can' AI in this game is just like every other MK game, and will ensure that i never will tackle the arcade mode above default difficulty. I just dont have the patience to continually deal with the AI pulling superman bs off when its about to die and everything i throw at it is immediately countered, or blocked until im taken apart in seconds by some ridiculous stuff.

Remember that finishing Ladder in Tag-Team, saves you time when it comes to unlock all endings and get the achievement/trophy for finishing it with all characters. Though you still need to unlock the alt-costume of the second character you chose, since it only unlocks the costume of the first character you chose (from what I remember and others mentioned too). You could always buy all the alts. :p

Dacon

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Once you've been at it a very good while, you really start to see the holes in the AI and how you can exploit them.

Oh, and you most definitely can pull those moves off too!

KevinCow

Banned
fernoca said:
Remember that finishing Ladder in Tag-Team, saves you time when it comes to unlock all endings and get the achievement/trophy for finishing it with all characters.

What? I played through in tag-team and only got the ending for my starting character.

fernoca

Yeah,what Rattles said.
The ending of the secondary tag-ladder character will be in Nekropolis. It will only show the ending of the first character you chose in the character select screen, and it won't matter if that character is killed and the final blow is done with the second character; it will only show the first character's ending and unlock that character's alt only.

Talking about characters, added the "two missing/secret characters" to 'Kharacters: Part II' and their bios.

Will add the specials and -alities for everyone, later this month.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
fernoca said:
Yeah,what Rattles said.
The ending of the secondary tag-ladder character will be in Nekropolis. It will only show the ending of the first character you chose in the character select screen, and it won't matter if that character is killed and the final blow is done with the second character; it will only show the first character's ending and unlock that character's alt only.

I am currently getting all the endings while playing my main reptile. Makes it fun to try to take 2 opponents with just reptile and switching like you said on khan to get the endings. I am learning and getting to see that content! *Thumbs up*

fernoca

KevinCow said:
They didn't for me. I guess it doesn't count if you're doing a two player tag-team?
That's probably it. At least single player Tag ladder, it unlocks both. if that's the case it doesn't make sense. Seems like is one of those things they either forgot or decided to not include for some reason; like quickmatch. :p

I'm disappointed that no one is playing 2 player tag or 4 player matches in any streams. I'd love to see some high level play of non 1v1 matches

are the special moves gone from this game? like raiden's fly across the screen? scorpion's hook shot? i cant get them to work although i randomly bust them out in linked combos?

KevinCow

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
are the special moves gone from this game? like raiden's fly across the screen? scorpion's hook shot? i cant get them to work although i randomly bust them out in linked combos?

Yeah, they took all those out. They decided the supernatural elements were too much, so it's just punches and kicks.

Monocle

fernoca said:
Remember that finishing Ladder in Tag-Team, saves you time when it comes to unlock all endings and get the achievement/trophy for finishing it with all characters. Though you still need to unlock the alt-costume of the second character you chose, since it only unlocks the costume of the first character you chose (from what I remember and others mentioned too). You could always buy all the alts. :p
Oh fie! I bought all the alts from the Krypt because I didn't think there was another way to unlock them. ;_;

Barkley's Justice said:
Make sure you're doing the inputs listed on the in-game move list.

Nome

fernoca said:
Well, the actual time hasn't been said explicitly. Though it's obvious that it was under 50 years before the tournament, since the elder Sub-Zero was part of the group that killed his clan. So, probably around the 1940s? The Sub-Zero brothers are not immortals neither of Edenian blood (which grow older at a much lower pace). In the original cannon i twas relatively close to the tournament as Mythologies implies, since Sub-Zero in that cannon received the invitation to the tournament right after finishing his mission in Mythologies.

In that aspect, is like your "amish example" this clans are more about tradition and honor, rather than "lol we don't believe in technology". He wants revenge more than anything, because he was told to, since Quan Chi's purpose it seems to have revenge against Sub-Zero; again..at least in the original cannon.

So, yep..at the moment it is intentionally vague. :p

For all we know, this new MK might not be the success many expected in tournaments, but still have a lengthy life online and in local/friendly competitions because of the DLC and other new things.

In MK9, doesn't elder Sub Zero claim it wasn't him that killed Scorpion's family? Or was he just being a coward?

ezekial45

Banned
Btw, it's probably been discussed to death by now, but the decision
to KILL OFF MOST OF THE ROSTER was extremely bold on their part. And given that they weren't revived after Shao Kahn's death, it pretty much means we'll have new blood or the new characters from MK4 > MKA in the next one.

Really, it certainly shakes the series up. I'm curious to see what they'll do next.

Rattles

KevinCow said:
They didn't for me. I guess it doesn't count if you're doing a two player tag-team?
Oh. Yea me and the girl had that problem too which was alittle annoying same with unlocking the fatalitys for player2.

fernoca

Casval said:
In MK9, doesn't elder Sub Zero claim it wasn't him that killed Scorpion's family? Or was he just being a coward?
Yeah, it wasn't him and even in this game he says so...and Scorpion's ladder ending confirms who did.

KevinCow

Banned
Casval said:

In Sub-Zero's ending, it's revealed that Quan Chi was the one who killed Scorpion's family.

ezekial45 said:
Btw, it's probably been discussed to death by now, but the decision
to KILL OFF MOST OF THE ROSTER was extremely bold on their part. And given that they weren't revived after Shao Kahn's death, it pretty much means we'll have new blood or the new characters from MK4 > MKA in the next one.

Really, it certainly shakes the series up. I'm curious to see what they'll do next.

I mostly wonder what they're going to do with Sub-Zero. Older brother was turned into Noob, younger brother was turned into Cyber, and both were killed. Surely they can't have a Mortal Kombat without Sub-Zero, right?

ezekial45

Banned
KevinCow said:
I mostly wonder what they're going to do with Sub-Zero. Older brother was turned into Noob, younger brother was turned into Cyber, and both were killed. Surely they can't have a Mortal Kombat without Sub-Zero, right?

Maybe they can have a third Sub Zero? Maybe another member of Lin Kuei goes rogue and takes up the mantle.

They can pretty much do whatever they want at this point. I guess that's the most exciting thing about it.

strideramc

KevinCow said:
In Sub-Zero's ending, it's revealed that Quan Chi was the one who killed Scorpion's family.

Frost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom