• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

Zee-Row said:
What do they mean by "PS3 Functionality" on the back of the MK PS3 case , is this some sort of joke?
No joke, just one of Sony's usual typos when it comes to packaging.
Just like how LittleBigPlanet PSP has 'Trophies' and MotorStorm Artic Edge (PSP) is "Remote Play Compatible". :p

But hey, it "functions on a PS3" so, is not a lie!!! :p

Sblargh

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
I love that there seems to be a lot of variety in competitive play. I've seen serious players playing with Kano, Raiden, Ermac, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Reptile, Sub-Zero, Cyrax, Scorpion, Smoke, Noob, Johnny Cage and Kabal.

No Sindel on that list. :(
I saw one Sindel in one of these first tournments and the guy did pretty good on stream. But yeah, only one guy.
Only non-viable characters at this point seem to be Baraka and Sheeva (and Kratos lol)

I'm not sure if this has been brought up but is there a possibility that Netherrealm could patch in an offline King of the Hill mode for PS3? The PS3 can support up to 7 controllers so it's a viable option. Maybe someone could tweet this request for me :)

EDIT: I want this option so I can play in the special KOTH mode without worrying about lag and stuff, being an Australian with a US copy...

infinityBCRT said:
I love that there seems to be a lot of variety in competitive play. I've seen serious players playing with Kano, Raiden, Ermac, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Reptile, Sub-Zero, Cyrax, Scorpion, Smoke, Noob, Johnny Cage and Kabal.

It seems like Kung Lao is more prominent than all the rest though.

Raxus

DryEyeRelief said:
It seems like Kung Lao is more prominent than all the rest though.
Kung Lao, like Ermac, is only the flavor of the month. I think most fighters have enough depth to see professional play. Only Sheeva seems to have gotten the short end of the stick. I would add Baraka MAYBE, due to his specials being god awful outside simple combos.

scoobs

Kung Lao is just a freaking monster. I'm maining sub now, I like to control the match with positioning and theres really no better character. I absolutely love stringing combos together with freezes, makes my roommates so pissed off lol. I just made my friend rage quit playin' reptile

Unicorn

infinityBCRT said:
I've been in the lab since launch with Kano. Don't have Live, and haven't seen him used in streams. Have any links of Kano in play?

sleepykyo

Raxus said:
Kung Lao, like Ermac, is only the flavor of the month. I think most fighters have enough depth to see professional play. Only Sheeva seems to have gotten the short end of the stick. I would add Baraka MAYBE, due to his specials being god awful outside simple combos.

He is going to the flavor of the month for a while for more than a month.

Kung Lao has the closest thing to a jab dragon punch and dragon punch into fadc in this game. Properly set up, the teleport is a weaker version of Akuma's demon flip. He is the perfect starting point for SF players transitioning over and also the perfect scrub character regardless of fighting game background.

Currently I see the top being Sub-Zero, Reptile, Kung Lao, Ermac in no particular order. Depending on whether they get nerfed Sonya (some frame advantage on block loop) and Cyrax (bomb traps) could be pretty popular.

GrayFoxPL

I was checking imdb site fore mortal kombat and noticed that some characters have 3 voice actors. I understand the story and battle need 2 separate, but 3? Oh maybe for the screens.

thundr51

Glass Joe said:
Some new official XBox pads have a transforming D-pad. I picked one up earlier and it's light years better than what I was using before. If the original pad was a 3/10 the new one would be an 8/10 easy. Of course, for the money you'd probably have to have other games you'd like it for too.

Picked up one those yesterday and things are instantly better. So far, any mistakes that i've seen have been on me...wish I would have had it when I was going through story mode...

Dai Kaiju

So, I've been sitting on the klassic reptile code (PS3) from Amazon for a while now. I returned the game in exchange for the 360 version after PSN went down. I don't suppose anyone would like to trade for a 360 ermac? I'm not sure what else to do with it....

EDIT: Upon reading the post directly above mine, I think I know what to do with it.

Salsa

Long time Street Fighter guy here. Only fun i had with MK was back with II, played this today for the first time.

I love it.

Salsa

I should expand though: ive played every MK before it, big friend of mine was always into it and i would get the games and we'll have a couple fights every once in a while. Thing is, it wasnt never anything more than that. Just some button mashing and a a liiittle bit of grasp on combos and such, since it never really appealed to me. Never seemed deep at all.

This one's a completely different deal, it really appeals to fighter fans and im so glad they did enough research and tweaks to supposdedly take it to tourney levels. It certainly paid off, game's a blast to play and master.

SalsaShark said:
Long time Street Fighter guy here. Only fun i had with MK was back with II, played this today for the first time.

I love it.
Same way I feel. I'm from an SF background, but I got to play this for the first time last week and it was so fun.

The more I play it, the more I like it.

For as much as I loved SFIV this generation, I'm starting to think MK might be better. Certainly more fun.

Really interesting to see if Capcom takes anything away from MK. And if so, what.

There's no denying that the fighting in MK has improved and become a direct competitor to SF.

It's on...

Xater

CartridgeBlower said:
The more I play it, the more I like it.

For as much as I loved SFIV this generation, I'm starting to think MK might be better. Certainly more fun.

Really interesting to see if Capcom takes anything away from MK. And if so, what.

There's no denying that the fighting in MK has improved and become a direct competitor to SF.

It's on...

Capcom learning something from MK? LOL

They are probably oblivious to its existence.

RelentlessRolento said:
Beef, you on PS3 or 360? if on PSN I want to tickle you with Ermac when PSN gets back up
I haven't been able to find a PS3 copy near me yet. :|

Should check Gamestop soon though, since this PSN outage has probably helped.

Khezu

SalsaShark said:
I should expand though: ive played every MK before it, big friend of mine was always into it and i would get the games and we'll have a couple fights every once in a while. Thing is, it wasnt never anything more than that. Just some button mashing and a a liiittle bit of grasp on combos and such, since it never really appealed to me. Never seemed deep at all.

This one's a completely different deal, it really appeals to fighter fans and im so glad they did enough research and tweaks to supposdedly take it to tourney levels. It certainly paid off, game's a blast to play and master.

I hope this game does very well for them so they continue on this track and don't fall back into old habits.

I suppose that is partially up to WB as well, but so far with this and batman, they seem pretty cool.

Xater said:
Capcom learning something from MK? LOL

They are probably oblivious to its existence.

That kind of response just doesn't cut it anymore. That's my entire point.

Not in 2011 at least. Not with its sales. Not with its reviews. And not with the fact that its gaining steam in tourneys as a hardcore fighting alternative. It's DIRECTLY competing with SF now in ways that it usually did not.

Of course Capcom is taking notice.

Xater

Khezu said:
I hope this game does very well for them so they continue on this track and don't fall back into old habits.

I suppose that is partially up to WB as well, but so far with this and batman, they seem pretty cool.

If MK sells (and it seems like it does), I am sure Netherrealm will can pretty much do what they want.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Arde5643 said:
Hopefully they nerf down either Raiden's superman fly or teleport - the teleport seems a bit too safe right now considering Raiden already has an invincible non-crouchable superman.

The thing that makes Raiden kinda stupid right now is he can teleport out of pressure for free. Mad cheap.

Xater

XiaNaphryz said:
Where it gets stupid is likely in how they choose to respond, naturally.

Exactly and why should I have faith in Capcom when they were not even able to get MvC3 feature wise on the same level as SFIV?

ezekial45

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
That kind of response just doesn't cut it anymore. That's my entire point.

There's no way Capcom goes "lol Mortal Kombat."

Not in 2011 at least. Not with its sales. Not with its reviews. And not with the fact that its now in tourneys and gaining steam as a hardcore fighting alternative.

It's DIRECTLY competing with SF now in ways that it usually did not.

Of course Capcom is taking notice. They're not stupid.

I agree. MK feels like a much more complete fighting game (in terms of content) compared to SFIV and MVC3. Compared to MK, those games are practically bare bones. It's sorta why i got tired of those games so quickly. The fighting system in place in SF and MvC are great, but without much content to back it up, i just got bored with it really fast. As much as i like it, i'm not those other players than can keep playing it for 200+ hours.

MK just has much more stuff to keep me busy with (Challenge tower, Arcade Ladder, Story mode, Krypt).

scoobs

Lost Fragment said:
The thing that makes Raiden kinda stupid right now is he can teleport out of pressure for free. Mad cheap.
ya its pretty ridiculous he can get right up on you and teleport back and forth and hit supermans into throws its super annoying. If they put a slight delay on his next move after teleport i think he'd be fine

Xevren

Lost Fragment said:

Yeah, I really hate his teleport. Give it some recovery like every other teleport in the game and I can live with it.

ezekial45 said:
I agree. MK feels like a much more complete fighting game (in terms of content) compared to SFIV and MVC3. Compared to MK, those games are practically bare bones. It's sorta why i got tired of those games so quickly. The fighting system in place in SF and MvC are great, but without much content to back it up, i just got bored with it really fast. As much as i like it, i'm not those other players than can keep playing it for 200+ hours.

MK just has much more stuff to keep me busy with (Challenge tower, Arcade Ladder, Story mode, Krypt).

Did you even buy mvc3?

ezekial45

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
So that unfortunate incident at the launch party didn't get the best of you.

Oh, my brother got it. He still wanted to play it. I'm still a bit pissed off about that, but i still enjoyed the game.

mrplaid

Quick plot question (which may have been answered in the preceeding posts, so sorry if it was)...
WHEN was Scorpion's family killed? Is it intentionally vague? The flashback in Story Mode makes it look like his family was killed in ancient times. Is Scorpion super-old and too revenge-nuts to notice that he's not in ancient Japan anymore? Or was his clan like the Japanese equivalent of the Amish (in that they shunned modern technology)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom