• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninja Scooter said:
I could see this being the only MK fighting game of this gen, while their next projects are a new Shaolin Monks type game and maybe something for XBLA/PSN.

Makes sense to me. I don't think they stand to gain much by revisiting the DA/Deception era. Do Shaolin Monks 2, wait a couple years, reboot MK again on new consoles.

Absoludacrous said:
Makes sense to me. I don't think they stand to gain much by revisiting the DA/Deception era. Do Shaolin Monks 2, wait a couple years, reboot MK again on new consoles.
Nothing is stopping them from doing two games (some of the former Midway Chicago guys on the Bombcast recently postulated that NRS has gotta be working on something else because the team size is much bigger than it used to be under Midway). And there were rumours from multiple sources on TRMK which stated that they were also working on the MK HD Arcade Kollection at the same time as MK9 at one point (until it was postponed due to being too close to MK9's release date).

Anyway I think they stand to gain because they already have a half decent story of Onaga's revival. And at the very least, it breaks the story if they don't address Shujinko in some way since he should already be on his quest by the time MK1 starts.

fernoca

And added information regarding PSN-GAF chat at the community thread.

I think this concludes my updates in this thread regarding that aspect (will continue updating this OT with general aspects of the game and other things I was planning), so from now on any update to the online community thread/online talk will be posted there exclusively. :p

infinityBCRT said:
Nothing is stopping them from doing two games (some of the former Midway Chicago guys on the Bombcast recently postulated that NRS has gotta be working on something else because the team size is much bigger than it used to be under Midway). And there were rumours from multiple sources on TRMK which stated that they were also working on the MK HD Arcade Kollection at the same time as MK9 at one point (until it was postponed due to being too close to MK9's release date).

Anyway I think they stand to gain because they already have a half decent story of Onaga's revival. And at the very least, it breaks the story if they don't address Shujinko in some way since he should already be on his quest by the time MK1 starts.

Yea, but then they'd be making the exact same mistakes all over again by getting away from the characters and story that people care about.

Personally I'd be happy to never see Shujinko and Taven again.

Sblargh

Banned
Pre-ordered from overpriced-but-will-get-here-on-launch-day brazillian ebay. :)
Last time I did this was LittleBigPlanet, this game hypes me on a scale I thought would never happen again.

Ill be getting it, but I don't play online, can't stand even the slightest bit of lag. I stick mostly to offline play. That being said, I still shall pop in from time to time with tournament info, streams and such....

See you all at EVO 2011 have fun, train hard!

(Playing 3 games this year at evo Woot!!)

Irish said:
You know, I'm still surprised by MoonsaultSlayer's complete turnaround on the Reptile design.
Like I said: It was the demo that convinced me that I didn't need another Scorpion/Subby clone since I got my fix of them there. What we have now is better than generic guy behind a mask #5. I finally dared to convince my self that *gasp*, Reptile's look is refreshing.

fernoca said:
Yeah...the only thing remaining is the cyber-skeletons; well the lack of them. :p
Hey, now. That wasn't me. I simply understood where he was coming from and why he was upset, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Didn't the cyborgs blow up into meaty pieces in MK3 as well? I'm not one to let fatalities (and x-rays in this case) determine what's canon and accurate haha.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Does anyone know if the tournament edition is still limited to 20,000? I had read that a few months back, but now I'm seeing that you can buy the arcade stick seperate. I have both the collectors and tournament editions on preorder from Amazon, but I'm thinking I'll just be keeping the collectors and I was looking to turn the tournament for profit. Any ideas?

GMUNYIFan said:
Does anyone know if the tournament edition is still limited to 20,000? I had read that a few months back, but now I'm seeing that you can buy the arcade stick seperate. I have both the collectors and tournament editions on preorder from Amazon, but I'm thinking I'll just be keeping the collectors and I was looking to turn the tournament for profit. Any ideas?

They're making additional sticks for the 360 version. They said that they aren't going to make anymore sticks for the PS3.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
SolidSnakex said:
They're making additional sticks for the 360 version. They said that they aren't going to make anymore sticks for the PS3.
Dang, Im getting it on 360. So any idea if the additional sticks will be a limited release or if they will mass produce the crap out of them?

GMUNYIFan said:
Dang, Im getting it on 360. So any idea if the additional sticks will be a limited release or if they will mass produce the crap out of them?

They just said that they're making additional 360 sticks because the official tournament is being held on the 360. I don't think that they gave a number.

alstein

Custom MK sticks will be made by indie stick makers- and they'll likely be better quality.

The only post-UMK3 chars I'd want are Nitara and Kobra period (Kenshi's already in), the rest are wastes of space that make Chang and Choi look like the best designs ever.

MK's next project should be a crossover with another FG series (SNK would be a good choice), then game after that should be a new MK tournament 50 yrs after MK9.

You all know Geese would be a great MK character, then again Geese Howard would be great in any fighting game.

Absoludacrous said:
Yea, but then they'd be making the exact same mistakes all over again by getting away from the characters and story that people care about.

Personally I'd be happy to never see Shujinko and Taven again.

They can't just keep on making the same game with the same characters. That would be super boring. At that point they might as well just do Ultimate Mortal Kombat, and then Ultimate Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition or something. And at one point the characters that people liked in MK2, MK3 and even MK4 (thats why Kenshi is gonna be DLC) didn't exist.

The other thing is there are many other reasons why people stopped caring about MK before the characters. I think MK4 being kinda ridiculous contributed to that, I think the dial-a-combo and running system in MK3/MK4 contributed to that, I think MK going 3D contributed to that, and the death of arcades/infancy of online play contributed to that. Fact is a lot of the older players skipped out entirely on games like Deception and Shaolin Monks because of the bad taste that they had from other MK games.

And then theres the fact that there are people who do like those games-- its just that I believe that crowd probably slants a little younger than the crowd here. There are people who were still buying those games over the last decade and thats why they still make them.

Kweh

Looking at TrueAchievements, GiantBomb have played the game quite a bit, unlocked over half of the Krypt content, completed story mode etc

Hope there is a Quick Look soon!

Aske

alstein said:
The only post-UMK3 chars I'd want are Nitara and Kobra period (Kenshi's already in), the rest are wastes of space that make Chang and Choi look like the best designs ever.

Nitara always felt horribly out of place in the MK universe to me. She just felt like a generic vampire girl, and as such seemed so forgettable in comparison to any of the MK mythology's home-grown creatures.

The new character designs were generally uninspired after MK3, but there are diamonds in the rough. Quan Chi and Shinnok are straight up awesome, and Fujin is solid. Post MK4 you've got Frost, Kenshi, and Ashrah. All unique designs that stand alone successfully and tie beautifully into the rest of the mythology.

None of the other new characters really stuck out to me in the last four games. Drahmin was a decent stab at something original, but I felt he missed the mark and came off as a bit juvenile. Kobra is fun for the Ken spoof, but without that hair he's just another fighter from Earthrealm. He and Kira make sense in terms of story when tied to Kabal, but they don't stand alone as interesting characters.

Reiko could be interesting with a bit of development. I like the concept behind him and his connection to Shao Kahn, but he feels a bit undecided visually. I liked the idea of him in MK4, but didn't care for the 'badass' redesign in Armageddon. I wouldn't mind seeing him back again with a new look; maybe something which combines elements of his MK4 design with that of grizzled, older Sub-Zero from Deadly Alliance.

_dementia said:
According to TRMK, the review embargo lifts on launch day.
For such an AWESOME game why are they dropping so low to have reviews release on launch day? :S

To note, I always find that the later a review the less confidence I have on the final game.

Diablohead said:
For such an AWESOME game why are they dropping so low to have reviews release on launch day? :S

To note, I always find that the later a review the less confidence I have on the final game.

Isn't this a trend for most major games?

alstein

Diablohead said:

Even if this game ends up trash competitively, it will get high reviews for the graphics and singleplayer stuff. NEVER base a fighting game on mainstream review scores.

I also know there's street breakers out there, so I figure if something was obviously wrong, it would be known already.

cuevas said:
Isn't this a trend for most major games?
it's becoming one yes. EA for example do this pretty much across the board now for their home grown releases, and it's had zero bearing on quality lately.

Diablohead said:

I'm in the UK and I'm not getting my review copy until the release day. :(

alstein said:
Even if this game ends up trash competitively, it will get high reviews for the graphics and singleplayer stuff. NEVER base a fighting game on mainstream review scores.

I also know there's street breakers out there, so I figure if something was obviously wrong, it would be known already.
true, and true.

Diablohead said:

Spoilers probably. I think the same thing happened with Halo Reach, and it got good reviews if I'm not mistaken.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Are there any recorded videos of two guys just going at it with all the characters? I missed out on the streams...

vixlar

Khezu said:
They also posted the shang tsung gameplay trailer.

All he has is fireballs and more fireballs, according to the stream from a few days ago, when he morphs he gets a damage bonus, so that's kinda neat, if you know how to play a lot of characters he could be fun, even if he can only turn into the opponent.

Wow! His X-Ray attack looks great. Even I thought it was a Fatality.

It seems now is one skull for normal and three skulls for enchanced attack.

alstein said:
Custom MK sticks will be made by indie stick makers- and they'll likely be better quality.

MK's next project should be a crossover with another FG series (SNK would be a good choice), then game after that should be a new MK tournament 50 yrs after MK9.

You all know Geese would be a great MK character, then again Geese Howard would be great in any fighting game.
My girlfriend and I would LOVE if Nitara was added. We both played the hell out of her in the other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom