• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they'd fix the klassic /alt costumes to not fuck up when you do a fatality...

I've not seen Scorpion's klassic when he does the split decision fatality... but when you use his alt, the sword magically transforms into the sword from the normal costume. :(

Unicorn

corrosivefrost said:
I wish they'd fix the klassic /alt costumes to not fuck up when you do a fatality...

I've not seen Scorpion's klassic when he does the split decision fatality... but when you use his alt, the sword magically transforms into the sword from the normal costume. :(
Yeah, generally the Classic outfits are of a lot lower quality than the regular and alts in-game. Maybe there's some way they can patch them with higher res textures and more work... unlikely, but it is noticeable, even the cyrax and sektor classic outfits look less detailed than their regulars. Just because they are classic doesn't mean they need to be low rez, etc.

MrMephistoX

Unicorn said:
Yeah, generally the Classic outfits are of a lot lower quality than the regular and alts in-game. Maybe there's some way they can patch them with higher res textures and more work... unlikely, but it is noticeable, even the cyrax and sektor classic outfits look less detailed than their regulars. Just because they are classic doesn't mean they need to be low rez, etc.
Admittedly I really only want the ladies and fatalities. Reptile at least can perform his classic fatality with his normal outfit.

y2dvd

ToyBroker said:
I've been fairing pretty well online. Like 65-8...until I went up against my buddy's Kung Lao. I feel like quitting the game. Out of 6 matches I won once. His shit was unstoppable...Kung Lao....sigh.

His spin = sucky :(

His spin is damn good but punishable. Just gotta be quick with it.

Practiced for hours w/o even noticing last night. Finally got Kitana's BnB down. 45% w/o meter is so good!

GrayFoxPL

CSZ must've been really last minute character. Playing ladder with him spawns really wierd glitches, like levitating after knockdown.

Just ordered this game offline. Who are some noob friendly characters to start with? I play a ton of fighters but haven't played a MK game since the SNES days.

Sir Garbageman said:
Just ordered this game offline. Who are some noob friendly characters to start with? I play a ton of fighters but haven't played a MK game since the SNES days.
Story Mode will introduce you to a good chunk of the characters.

Besides that, Scorpion is pretty much the go-to noob character online it seems. Doesn't mean he's easy online though, people fight Scorpions constantly so they know most of his tricks.

Sir Garbageman said:
Sonya is a good beginner character.

y2dvd

Sir Garbageman said:
Cool, I'll try story mode and Sonya at first. How is Sub-Zero? He was my fave back in the day.

I think Sub-Zero is noob friendly. His combos are basic and does decent dmg. Sonya takes a bit of work to do her more dmging combos. Same with Scorp. But yeah, play thru story and see who you like.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I hope the announcement is that the Netherrealm website will show a running total of all DLC revenue until it reaches the production budget for FIRE AND ICE.

y2dvd said:
I think Sub-Zero is noob friendly. His combos are basic and does decent dmg. Sonya takes a bit of work to do her more dmging combos. Same with Scorp. But yeah, play thru story and see who you like.
Well, the thing with Scorpion is he's pretty fast, he has a screen wide incapacitate that also has the benefit of bringing the opponent in for melee, he has a teleport attack, an easy to execute unblockable, an air grab, and a moderately high damaging XRay that can hit the length of the screen. A lot of his attacks have drawbacks that can be exploited by even slightly experienced players and his full out juggles aren't extremely simple but between newbies I think he's the most overpowered.

Sub-Zero on the other hand is slow moving, has no teleport, no air grab, his incapacitate has a long startup and simply freezes the target in place, his ice clone is hard for new players to use effectively (they usually just drop them for cover every chance they get and spam frost bolts), and is unblockable has an extraordinarily short range and even a longer startup than his frost bolt. His Ice Slide is pretty descent but has a very long and punishable cool-down animation.

I'm not saying he's worse but Sub-Zero is definitely harder to use then Scorpion. Once you get used to his speed, how to use his traps, and learn how to freeze cancel I'd say he's higher tier than Scorpion but still... harder to use.

D2M15 said:
I hope the announcement is that the Netherrealm website will show a running total of all DLC revenue until it reaches the production budget for FIRE AND ICE.

Theres the possibility they announce MK9 for NGP/3DS at E3. But I don't think we'll hear from NRS about their next big project for at least a year.

ultron87

So I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times, but what's the best way to cheese out the final Story Mode fight? It is painfully clear I won't be winning this straight up.

GrayFoxPL

Man, got bodied really badly today. Wanted to learn decent Noob, but I only learned pain.

Depressing, until I switched to Johnny Cage, then I started rolling, I even won like 8 fights in King of the Lagfest.

One Ffffuuuu moment when I accidentally picked random select and it chose Sheeva. I didn't even try to fight.

ultron87 said:
So I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times, but what's the best way to cheese out the final Story Mode fight? It is painfully clear I won't be winning this straight up.

1.Jump over or teleport.
2.On back turned boss do a 1,2,1,2 combo into electric hold and uppercut.
3.Repeat.

ultron87 said:
1. Get some distance from him and dodge his spears
2. When he throws his hammer or taunts Teleport
3. D, F, 2, 3, 3, 4, Superman OR 1, 2, 1, 2, Uppercut
4. Dash away and repeat

If you teleport and he blocks/absorbs your initial hits it means you weren't fast enough. Hold block to avoid his charge spam, GTFO, and try again.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So the people who paid massive amounts on eBay got screwed? lol

I should have bought the game and sold those DLC stuff.

the chris

ultron87 said:
What I did was get far away and when a projectile was thrown teleport behind and uppercut, that and plenty of patience.

Wario64 said:
So the people who paid massive amounts on eBay got screwed? lol

I should have bought the game and sold those DLC stuff.

This happens with every pre-order package that happens, I'm surprised people haven't learned to wait a couple of weeks instead of paying like $50 to $100 for a costume code.

SMZC

It'd better be free. Charging any amount, no matter how small, for stuff that was completed before release and included on the disc, would be criminal. Besides, technically it's not 7 costumes, it's 2; the rest are just palette swaps.

I'll still suck it and get it even if they charge for it and is overpriced, though -_-

Beaulieu

SMZC said:
It'd better be free. Charging any amount, no matter how small, for stuff that was completed before release and included on the disc, would be criminal. Besides, technically it's not 7 costumes, it's 2; the rest are just palette swaps.

I'll still suck it and get it even if they charge for it and is overpriced, though -_-

I agree.
Free or bust.

notworksafe

Beaulieu said:
I agree.
Free or bust.
Bust meaning their bank accounts will be about ready to bust open? Because I bet that's what will happen if there is a charge for it.

EDIT: I remember Boon saying they wouldn't charge for on-disc content, so I wouldn't be shocked if it was free.

Aske

notworksafe said:
I remember Boon saying they wouldn't charge for on-disc content, so I wouldn't be shocked if it was free.

I'm all but certain the costumes will be free. Boon has already said that there's free DLC on the way, and along with his oft-quoted promise not to charge for on-disc content it's pretty clear he's referring to the costume pack.

Did he mention free DLC? I remember reading somewhere that the classic costumes would be free. If he did say that the content in disc will be free, then I guess we can assume that the classic costumes are free. They can still get away with charging for the pack though.

Monocle

ultron87 said:
I cleared it on my second try with the strategy I found.

Basically, teleport behind
Shao Khan
and do FK,FK,BK, tackle (or some variation of this combo). FK,FK,BK is the ideal combo starter in that fight because its range helps your hits to connect even when your teleport doesn't put you right against his back.

Boon said today that he doesn't know what the price of it will be yet. But I don't think that the classic costume DLC pack will be free, although it is possible since I don't think what else could be free. Skarlet almost definitely will be paid, probably between $2 to $5, unless NRS wants to do a free thing for Xbox players to make up for the No Demo/Kratos/stage.

y2dvd

Houston3000 said:
Well, the thing with Scorpion is he's pretty fast, he has a screen wide incapacitate that also has the benefit of bringing the opponent in for melee, he has a teleport attack, an easy to execute unblockable, an air grab, and a moderately high damaging XRay that can hit the length of the screen. A lot of his attacks have drawbacks that can be exploited by even slightly experienced players and his full out juggles aren't extremely simple but between newbies I think he's the most overpowered.

Sub-Zero on the other hand is slow moving, has no teleport, no air grab, his incapacitate has a long startup and simply freezes the target in place, his ice clone is hard for new players to use effectively (they usually just drop them for cover every chance they get and spam frost bolts), and is unblockable has an extraordinarily short range and even a longer startup than his frost bolt. His Ice Slide is pretty descent but has a very long and punishable cool-down animation.

I'm not saying he's worse but Sub-Zero is definitely harder to use then Scorpion. Once you get used to his speed, how to use his traps, and learn how to freeze cancel I'd say he's higher tier than Scorpion but still... harder to use.

That's why I say Sub is easier to pick up. On paper, he has less tools so it's simpler to use but I agree he's harder to master. Kinda like the chess analogy. Easy to pick up, hard to master. He has an easier time hit confirming a combo. 2,2,4. If it hits, slide. If it doesn't, ice clone. Sub can arguably play a safer game thanks to ice clone. It's a hell of a lot safer than Scorpion's blocked spear or teleport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom