• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raxus said:
Still 5 bucks for a bunch of classic costumes is better than paying 80 for 1.
In my case, I'll be paying 5 bucks for 3 costumes. I already have Scorp, Rep and Ermac classics...so I'm conflicted about paying for this...especially when the AI doesn't randomly choose costumes and always defaults to the...default.

bumpkin

The Lamonster said:
In my case, I'll be paying 5 bucks for 3 costumes. I already have Scorp, Rep and Ermac classics...so I'm conflicted about paying for this...especially when the AI doesn't randomly choose costumes and always defaults to the...default.
Same here except I have Subby's instead of Reptile's. So I guess in my case, it's $5 for 3 costumes and 1 fatality... I could pretend I won't bite, but I probably will.

MrMephistoX

Professor Beef said:
I think he's talking about how badly animated and matched the retro outfitted version of the spit looks. I've seen it, and it's pretty dumb.

I don't find it's any worse than in MKII or UMK3: it's part of the charm ;)

grendelrt

Honestly 5 bucks for extra costumes and fatalities isnt that bad. For the people with multiple already it kinda sucks, maybe they will sell them individual as well? I will def buy this though, game has exceeded all my expectations and I have no problem supporting the devs.

grendelrt said:
Honestly 5 bucks for extra costumes and fatalities isnt that bad. For the people with multiple already it kinda sucks, maybe they will sell them individual as well? I will def buy this though, game has exceeded all my expectations and I have no problem supporting the devs.

I could see them selling them for a buck a pop and the entire pack for 5, basically getting 2 free for anyone without one of the exclusives. As it is I have Reptile and Jade and that's it, and I'm not entirely against $5 for the rest of them at some point.

the chris

Well, at least some of these costumes add something besides a cosmetic change, which is more than I can say about the MVC3 costume pack.

HeresSomeWeapons said:
Still no klassic Smoke though. You make me sad, Boon.
I think there was a little easter egg at the end of that trailer. Sub-Zero clearly turns grey when Scorps does his fatality. Maybe hinting at more than just the pre-order skins?

Edit:
GNXXu.jpg

Could be a technical problem they didn't catch. It would be a nice surprise, though.

fernoca

Yep. And unless they add some extra things, the download will be just a 100kb-unlock. $5 is not a bad price for 7 costumes and 3 fatalities, but considering that all are in the disc and many of the ones that were willing to buy it, already have at least one of them..it kinda sucks.

Though, I'll pay just to see the faces of the people that bought just one code for over $50. XD

The Smoke/Sub-Zero color-change, might be a glitch. I think all the classics glitch when used against each other..in many cases. Like Classic Reptile turning yellow, when using Classic Scorpion..and so on; well at least during the "secret fights".

NEO0MJ

I wouldn't have minded it if they went through the trouble of creating klassic smoke and Noob for the pack, as well as including the klassic robots. The deal just feels like a rip off to me as it is right now.

Khezu

Sucks it costs money, shame they couldn't do it male/female packs, I really only want jades and kitanas.
Also no robots or MK2 girl outfits or smoke/noob.

I'm going to wait before I buy this and the skarlet character, I want to make sure the netcode patch is as "drastic" of an improvement as they say, I'm not going to invest in the game if the netcode sucks, none of my IRL friends play fighting games.

Also I wonder if there is still going to be free DLC that boon was talking about over twitter and the PDP tournament, or if this was supposed to be free and WB put there foot down and said no thanks. Wonder what they would even put out for free.

Unicorn

NEO0MJ said:
I wouldn't have minded it if they went through the trouble of creating klassic smoke and Noob for the pack, as well as including the klassic robots. The deal just feels like a rip off to me as it is right now.
Yeah, I was expecting for them to throw in Retro Smoke and Noob (since they're on-disc) as well as classic Cyrax and Sektor (not sure if on the disc, but retro Cyrax is sometimes in the background for the Dunes level).

I only have Scorpion, so this pack is still interesting, but since I'm jobless and have no money, I can wait for a DotW or a later date.

I've gotten codes for free for all the characters except Sub-Zero and Jade. But as far as I know, there's no way to get Jade's klassic on 360.

rasberryjam said:
I think there was a little easter egg at the end of that trailer. Sub-Zero clearly turns grey when Scorps does his fatality. Maybe hinting at more than just the pre-order skins?

Edit:
Could be a technical problem they didn't catch. It would be a nice surprise, though.

If you do the fatality and you didn't use any kicks you get that.

smoke

AnEternalEnigma said:
I've gotten codes for free for all the characters except Sub-Zero and Jade. But as far as I know, there's no way to get Jade's klassic on 360.
Preorder for jades, I still have her code in my email.

Since this pack is coming out that's another option for it.

WaltJay

$5 is a great price considering the price they fetch on eBay. Plus, I have this friend that pre-orders games ($5 deposit) just to get the pre-order DLC and never picks the games up, so it's basically the same thing, except this $5 gets me, er, my friend, all the pre-order DLC instead of $5 each.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Chamber said:
Lame.

Sub-Zero and the Reptile are the only ones I even want. Not sure if I want to shelve out 5 bucks.

Agreed,

Lucky i have a reptile/scorp code for PS3 whenever it comes back up, i can just buy the pack for xbox and be happy!

SMZC

This is disgusting. I'm all in favor of DLC; it's work put in by the developers to create something that wasn't going to be in the game. You either take it or leave it, as any other product. However, here, they're essentially charging for stuff that was completed before release, and actually arguably meant to be in the initial product. A reboot of the original Mortal Kombat trilogy without Sub-Zero's spine rip fatality or Scorpion's toasty (possibly the most iconic fatality in the series) feels so absurd. You want them? Well, you're going to have to pay some extra cash for those, buddy.

Ridiculous.

What's worse is that they are purposefully putting all of them in a single pack. They are fully aware that people have, at the most, a few of these skins and fatalities, so they want to make sure everyone that wants any of them pays them the amount that WB has set, no exceptions. I have codes for Sub-Zero, Reptile and Kitana, and if I want to have Scorpion's fatality I am forced to pay the full price of this pack. Fucking dicks.

To add insult to injury, they warned people to refrain from buying these codes from people on ebay. Not because they were worried they were throwing their money away, of course. "Hey guys, don't give your money to some random ebay douchebag; instead, give it to us k thx".

I'm loving this game, I really am. NRS made an amazing product. But between this and the infamous kombat pass decision, I'm really starting to harbor some huge resentment towards WB. I'll put up with this bullshit for now because the game is amazing, but they'd better watch their greedy ass behavior, because there's a limit to how much bullshit me and others are willing to tolerate.

SMZC said:
This is disgusting. I'm all in favor of DLC; it's work put in by the developers to create something that wasn't going to be in the game. You either take it or leave it, as any other product. However, here, they're essentially charging for stuff that was completed before release, and actually arguably meant to be in the initial product.

Its ridiculous to be angry about paying for content that was completed before release.

the chris

SMZC said:
To add insult to injury, they warned people to refrain from buying these codes from people on ebay. Not because they were worried they were throwing their money away, of course. "Hey guys, don't give your money to some random ebay douchebag; instead, give it to us k thx".
To be fair though they are only charging $5 for all the costumes, someone earlier in the thread said that they sold their Reptile costume code for $90.

Struct09

SMZC said:

Reptile codes were going for upwards of $90 on eBay, and aside from Jade the other codes were going for ~$20. If anything they did everyone a favor by saying to be patient and not buy them off eBay.

Struct09

gutter_trash said:
if the Sub-Zero fatality comes with them, then I will get it. Anyway, I rather play Reptile as ninja mode

The three classic fatalities (Scorpion's, Sub-Zero's, and Reptile's) are in the pack

Mileena

Banned
If they're charging for on disc content, why the fuck aren't they including Smoke and Noob's classics? They're in the damn game already.

SMZC

infinityBCRT said:
Its ridiculous to be angry about paying for content that was completed before release.

Uhm... And that is because...?

Even if you were right, though, some of this stuff was meant to be in the actual game. A reboot/tribute to the classic MK trilogy, and no toasty fatality? wtf? The only reason not everyone has access to that stuff is because greedy ass WB made a deal with different retailers in order to squeeze as much money from the development of this game as possible. So, it's not just them getting money from people buying this DLC now. They actually got their money from whatever deal they made with all of those retailers in the first place. They make a couple of fatalities and 7 skins from 2 basic palette swaps, and with only that, they see the money of both users AND several retailers. Nothing new under the sun, though; just another disgusting tactic from a corporation that is trying to milk money from every side they can.

Again, all from stuff that was meant to be in the initial product. I mean, hell... That stuff actually IS in the game. All of these skins and fatalities are in everyone's discs. We'll only be downloading (paying for) unlock codes.

To be fair though they are only charging $5 for all the costumes, someone earlier in the thread said that they sold their Reptile costume code for $90.

Reptile codes were going for upwards of $90 on eBay, and aside from Jade the other codes were going for ~$20. If anything they did everyone a favor by saying to be patient and not buy them off eBay.

That's the buyers' fault, though. I can see why people would be desperate to get their hands on, say, Reptile's skin, but from a purely objective standpoint, it isn't worth much. Especially considering that it's just a palette swap of a basic skin shared with 3 other characters, like I just said.

Its looking like Im going to win the auction I bid on.

New copy of the game plus Klassic Ermac and Jade costumes. Pretty nifty. Think it has the avatar codes as well. Glad I waited until the DLC news came out.

I havent played MK since I was a kid so this should be awesome.

Unicorn

SMZC said:
That's the buyers' fault, though. I can see why people would be desperate to get their hands on, say, Reptile's skin, but from a purely objective standpoint, it isn't worth much. Especially considering that it's just a palette swap of a basic skin shared with 3 other characters, like I just said.
Yeah, people want it. Just because you don't. This option is better than if you DIDN'T preorder at Amazon, and missed out on Reptile, then were forced to goto ebay if you really wanted it. there was no post-release option (pre-order content is BS already, yadda yadda) so for NRS to release a pack with all the stuff for 5$ is a God-send for all the people that DO want this stuff.

just because you don't see the worth in it, doesn't mean that it doesn't have value to someone else.

basically, people will spend their money how they want. Deal with it.

Tansut

It strikes me as a little silly that you guys think they would blow their kollective wad of klassic skins in one set. I can totally see them doing another couple of sets at least. Like the next one could have Noob, Smoke, the Robots and Raiden or something.

It just makes good business sense even if it does kinda suck on our end.

Kweh

I don't even think the ninja kostumes look that great with the exception of Reptile's. There is something off about them...Jade/Mileen/Kitana look good though.

Still, I won't be buying them.

bumpkin

Tansut said:
It strikes me as a little silly that you guys think they would blow their kollective wad of klassic skins in one set. I can totally see them doing another couple of sets at least. Like the next one could have Noob, Smoke, the Robots and Raiden or something.

It just makes good business sense even if it does kinda suck on our end.
Now you're talkin'. He really did have one of the original game's more iconic costumes, IMO.

fernoca

zlatko said:
Shouldn't this thread be in the community section now with SF,MvC3, and Blazblue ?
There's the Online Community Thread for that same reason. So that people can continue talking here about all the aspects of the game in general, while use the online community thread for online-talk.

But that thread has been ignored for the most part, but at the same time people has sent friend-requests/ to the respective online accounts, so there's no need to be there all the time talking.

Which is why around this thread I put here and there,:

Kweh said:
I don't even think the ninja kostumes look that great with the exception of Reptile's. There is something off about them...Jade/Mileen/Kitana look good though.

Yea I like the mk3 ninjas better than these but oh well.

Fucking dumb. I have 3 already. Thanks, NR(ipoff)S. Bet it was going to be free until they saw how much people were paying. For anyone to purchase the pack that already owns one/some... you're being screwed. You're essentially paying for your "free" pre-order bonuses now. Awesome.

Just give me human reptile and more creative alts, thanks.

MrMephistoX

Kweh said:

I'm mainly interested in the pack because of the fatalities and UMK3 outfits for the ladies. Scorpion and Sub-Zero's default costumes are a lot better than their classic costumes but green is more flattering for some reason.

GrayFoxPL said:
Hahah! I predicted that months ago! I'm a fucking MK Nostradamus. :p
I don't think you have to be a psychic to know they wouldn't leave money on the table by not releasing such a thing after all the ebay hype.

sleepykyo

_dementia said:
I don't think you have to be a psychic to know they wouldn't leave money on the table by not releasing such a thing after all the ebay hype.

Still would have been nice if a company actually stood by their word.

For the most part, I'm more disappointed about the statements made than the charging for costumes (that is kind of given nowadays).

Oh well, only dlc I'm really interested in Skarlett, if it is in 5~8, range. Oh and that netcode patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom