• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayFoxPL

_dementia said:
I don't think you have to be a psychic to know they wouldn't leave money on the table by not releasing such a thing after all the ebay hype.

That was way way before ebay hype, dude.

I was betting with gaffers that thought classic costumes are unlockable in the krypt. I said no, they will be downloadble in a pack for 5 bucks. That was even in the old thread.

SMZC

Unicorn said:
Yeah, people want it. Just because you don't. This option is better than if you DIDN'T preorder at Amazon, and missed out on Reptile, then were forced to goto ebay if you really wanted it. there was no post-release option (pre-order content is BS already, yadda yadda) so for NRS to release a pack with all the stuff for 5$ is a God-send for all the people that DO want this stuff.

just because you don't see the worth in it, doesn't mean that it doesn't have value to someone else.

basically, people will spend their money how they want. Deal with it.

I want this shit as much as the next person. Hell, I'll buy this pack even though I already have half the skins. It's still disgusting what WB is doing, though. This should have been free. Skarlet, additional characters and skins and other DLC, sure, they deserve to be paid for that. But for the current 7 klassic costumes and 3 fatalities? Fuck no.

Unicorn

SMZC said:
I want this shit as much as the next person. Hell, I'll buy this pack even though I already have half the skins. It's still disgusting what WB is doing, though. This should have been free. Skarlet, additional characters and skins and other DLC, sure, they deserve to be paid for that. But for the current 7 klassic costumes and 3 fatalities? Fuck no.
Yeah, I hate paying for on-disc content too. I specifically never bought into any capcom or namco dlc for that very reason.

fernoca

piratepwnsninja said:
Yep. Ends tomorrow apparently.
They price-matched Toys R Us "mistake". (TRU advertised a $50 giftcard when purchasing Fear 3 with Mortal Kombat -each at regular price-. But Fear 3 was delayed until June 21 earlier this month, and the shoppers were already done. So they reduced the price back to $39.99 all this week again until tomorrow.)

Susurrus

Anyone know how the compatibility when people with the new character DLC fight someone without it (not talking the on disc costumes)?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey, guess what. Skarlet and Kenshi will both be a 128kb key unlock....

...because they'll probably be added in a mandatory update, so everybody can see them, even the people that didn't buy them.

drizzle said:

...because they'll probably be added in a mandatory update, so everybody can see them, even the people that didn't buy them.
I'm fine with that.

For those who sold their classic costume codes on Ebay, how did you send them? I'm afraid of getting scammed if I were to send them through email.

drizzle said:

What's wrong with that?

drizzle said:

Well, yeah. They'd be dumb to split the community.

I'm liking that theres some decent Shang and Kano in the UFGT tourney. Hopefully NRS keeps on working on the balancing so theres even more diversity of viable characters. Also I surprisingly haven't seen a Kung Lao yet in any of the matches I've seen so far.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I'm not really into the classic skins. I think they look horrible and dated. Nostalgia doesn't do much for me personally.

But for people willing to pay for it, it's already been determined that what you got for your $60 is way more value than most other fighting games out there. That's why we have a popular game that's been embraced all over, in the media and in the public. We already got value for our money. So in my opinion, any extra content that they decide to charge to unlock or download is fine. Up to each one of us to decide if it's worth our $5. I am not getting the classic skins. I will be getting the additional characters however.

Btw, we are at the 10k mark, doesn't that mean new thread?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
infinityBCRT said:
I'm liking that theres some decent Shang and Kano in the UFGT tourney. Hopefully NRS keeps on working on the balancing so theres even more diversity of viable characters. Also I surprisingly haven't seen a Kung Lao yet in any of the matches I've seen so far.
Kung Lao won the character auction tourney yesterday.

Thunderbear said:
Btw, we are at the 10k mark, doesn't that mean new thread?

Unicorn

20k means new thread.
Chamber said:
Kung Lao won the character auction tourney yesterday.
Made me happy to see a Kano in the Finals, as a Kano main.

Though, he probably wouldn't have been there if he didn't have the hotfix... (did he?)

sleepykyo

infinityBCRT said:

Decent Kano? That reduced recovery time brought them out of the woods like a pack of wolves. On that note, I am surprised about Kung Lao as well, he does 3-5% less on his bread & butters but is functionally the same character.

I'm surprised Shang isn't more popular. Unless the computer is speed up, it seems like a couple of strings into up skull leaves him at advantage and in position to do it again.

Khezu

Ya kanos kinda crazy now, not only is his upball crazy now, hes actually probably one of, if not the easiest character to play.

Tom said there unbuffing his upball though, didn't say if its going to be its original state, or somewhere in between silly and awful.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The Lamonster said:
I'm fine with that.
Shadowlink said:
What's wrong with that?
cuevas said:
Well, yeah. They'd be dumb to split the community.
People complain about 128kb keys like they're the coming of the antichrist, and most of the times they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

...which is pretty much the same as complaining about pre-release DLC plans being announced. A game must be feature-complete before going gold. Which means that all those artists can start working on DLC prior to the release of the game.

In this particular case, people are complaining properly: The content is already on the disk. I personally don't have a problem with it being charged: It was a nice pre-order bonus and is now being made available for everybody that didn't pre-order on the specific stores that provided such content. I'm pretty sure there's an agreement with such stores for these specific costumes to be available for them.

I'm just glad they're being made available for everybody, including the special fatalities. 5 bucks is not that much. Specially when there's already 2 or 3 (depending on who we are talking about) alternate costumes built in.

Extra Characters as DLC, on the other hand, I'm not so sure. I understand why it's made this way, creating new characters and assets is expensive, and it's better than the alternative (are you listening, Capcom?). But what if I dislike the character? How will I ever know, unless I buy it and play with it?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sleepykyo said:
Decent Kano? That reduced recovery time brought them out of the woods like a pack of wolves. On that note, I am surprised about Kung Lao as well, he does 3-5% less on his bread & butters but is functionally the same character.

I'm surprised Shang isn't more popular. Unless the computer is speed up, it seems like a couple of strings into up skull leaves him at advantage and in position to do it again.
No added recovery on his hat spin?

sleepykyo

SapientWolf said:
No added recovery on his hat spin?

Might be, but people seem to be using the same combos and I'd assume any significant change in his recovery would also change the combos. As far I can tell it seems like the 3-5% loss is coming off of the hat spin itself doing less damage.

fernoca

I'd love to see who came up with the idea of the challenge #251 and how it would be "fun"...so I could slap him/her in the face.

fernoca said:
I'd love to see who came up with the idea of the challenge #251 and how it would be "fun"...so I could slap him/her in the face.
Is that the one with stryker and the 4 shao kahns? If so spam him with the pistol. And look out for his spear and hammer. Jump when you see em. Easy as pie. Now xhallenge 300th? Thats another thing

fernoca

SixStringPsycho said:
Is that the one with stryker and the 4 shao kahns? If so spam him with the pistol. And look out for his spear and hammer. Jump when you see em. Easy as pie. Now xhallenge 300th? Thats another thing
I think it was the Shang Tsung vs. Baraka, Sindel, Shao Kahn one. I beat that anyway..just sucked.. :p

My PS3 died after that, so couldn't get back to it..maybe when.if I buy the 360 version....soon.

Any word yet if NRS will release the dlc separately? They can't possibly believe no one will notice that they'd be paying for their pre-order bonuses... right? It doesn't even seem legal.

fernoca

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Any word yet if NRS will release the dlc separately? They can't possibly believe no one will notice that they'd be paying for their pre-order bonuses... right? It doesn't even seem legal.
No word yet. Technically is not "illegal" neither, since they're not lying about it. All info about the retro-bundle specifies that it contains all preorder exclusives:
The collection consists of seven pre-order klassic character skins for Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Reptile, Ermac, Mileena, Jade and Kitana and klassic fatalities for Reptile, Scorpion and Sub-Zero. The pack will be available starting June 7th on Microsoft Xbox Live Arcade for 400 Microsoft Points or $4.99 on PlayStation Network.

drizzle said:
People complain about 128kb keys like they're the coming of the antichrist, and most of the times they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

...which is pretty much the same as complaining about pre-release DLC plans being announced. A game must be feature-complete before going gold. Which means that all those artists can start working on DLC prior to the release of the game.

In this particular case, people are complaining properly: The content is already on the disk. I personally don't have a problem with it being charged: It was a nice pre-order bonus and is now being made available for everybody that didn't pre-order on the specific stores that provided such content. I'm pretty sure there's an agreement with such stores for these specific costumes to be available for them.

I'm just glad they're being made available for everybody, including the special fatalities. 5 bucks is not that much. Specially when there's already 2 or 3 (depending on who we are talking about) alternate costumes built in.

Extra Characters as DLC, on the other hand, I'm not so sure. I understand why it's made this way, creating new characters and assets is expensive, and it's better than the alternative (are you listening, Capcom?). But what if I dislike the character? How will I ever know, unless I buy it and play with it?
I actually agree that the in disc content should be free, but I don't see anything wrong about others seeing dlc that you bought. It's not like they're going to use that classic costume.

fernoca

kiryani said:
Not letting me in, demanding a code.
Hmm..weird.
Hehehe..If I knew earlier. I gave a PS3 code away yesterday. Though even with a code, you can't play since you still need to download the unlock-file from the Store.

Just played my first online match. Destroyed someone online and he quit just after I was starting my fatality, causing the game to boot me.

If this is how it's going to be, why even bother.

zlatko

Banned
I've been not keeping up with this game in terms of support from the developers. I'm watching the level up stream right now and it seems Ski was mentioning something about a damage nerf?

Was there a patch to address damage from combos for all characters or just certain ones?

Struct09

zlatko said:
I've been not keeping up with this game in terms of support from the developers. I'm watching the level up stream right now and it seems Ski was mentioning something about a damage nerf?

Was there a patch to address damage from combos for all characters or just certain ones?

There's been hotfixes that have been made for the game. The game checks for them if you're online when it boots up, and makes small adjustments to certain things such as damage, recovery timing, etc. This way they can make balance updates without having to release a title update and wait for certification.

fernoca

zlatko said:

No "big patches" per se, but "hot-fixes".
There has been a few "hot-fixes". You noticed them when you're at the title screen and press start, a message saying about "checking online for updates"..that's when it downloads the fixes. The team implements this to allow them to fix/nerf characters and other attributes without the need of actual patch, which require a certification process. Since this fixes don't affect the actual game, just lowers numbers/attributes there's not risk of damaging the console. Not many games do it.

An actual patch with updates to a few aspects including netcode is expected sometime in June (originally for late in May, but guess it was delayed).

The latest fix was on May 20, details were posted in this and the online thread.

May 20, 2011
• Reduced some of Kung Lao’s combo and overall damage.
• Reduced the damage on some special moves.
• Increased the damage scaling after Kitana’s Enhanced ground fan toss.
• Adjusted some juggle’s damage scaling.
• Reduced the damage on some basic combos that were doing too much damage without using any meter.
• Increased Sheeva’s damage output for several of her moves and attacks.
• Temporarily Changed around some of Sonya’s fighting style properties to reduce her ability to lock someone down in block stun.
• Changed Kano’s Towards (Forward + Front Kick) to a low block.
• Reduced the recovery on Kano’s Upball to be closer to Johnny Cage’s Flip Kick recovery.
• Increased the damage of some of Baraka’s special moves and attacks.
• It is easy to juggle combo after hitting someone with Baraka’s chopchop on the ground.
• Increased the damage scaling on a frozen opponent.
• Baraka’s Away (Back + Front Kick + Front Punch) combo is now a true popup.
• Reduced some of Reptile's combo damage.​

brian

It's kind of funny to me how much money they are going to make by selling 2 costumes palette-swapped onto several characters. Isn't the palette swap ninjas something that people always made fun of MK for. Klassic Kostumes - brilliant!

Yeah, I just saw that in the stream. Fucking nuts.

EDIT: I mean, I main Kabal, but get rid of that shit.

EDIT 2: Though looking back on it, if I'm understanding it right, I don't see an easy way to get rid of it without harming some of the more fundamental aspects of his character. I hope they tread lightly.

sleepykyo

Green Mamba said:
Yeah, I just saw that in the stream. Fucking nuts.

EDIT: I mean, I main Kabal, but get rid of that shit.

EDIT 2: Though looking back on it, if I'm understanding it right, I don't see an easy way to get rid of it without harming some of the more fundamental aspects of his character. I hope they tread lightly.

Good question. Even without it, he still has some interesting things. Being able to insert either a mid (the command overhead) or a low (the ground projectile) into a series. Fast projectiles. That command dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom