• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Struct09 said:
I have Prime, it's still not showing up. My old order seems to be fine though.

Release-date delivery is still available for the KE's.

Same. I just pre-ordered it with with one-day shipping, and it's saying it will be delivered on the 21st. I may just cancel and get it locally.

Chairhome

jtrov said:
The same shit happened to me. Right there on the product page it says Release Day Delivery available, but when you proceed to checkout, it's no longer an option. I contacted Amazon, via chat, and they said "Release Date Delivery" isn't available for my address. However, I've used release date delivery before, and I even have Portal 2 coming release date delivery which is out the same day. So the guy said he'll e-mail me with an answer in 2-3 business days. They usually ship it from their distributor in either Delaware or Philadelphia, so I'm shocked if they didn't get MK in any of those areas.
Yeah, they told me the same BS. I'm being a little impatient, but I can't wait for the game. I'll pick it up at Best Buy probably.

Nedjoe said:
Sheevas arcade mode ending was pretty.....interesting

Dodged the spoiler, but are arcade mode endings still or video?

Snaku

Banned
Are the endings in this game all canon? Endings in the old games always bugged me because they'd often conflict with each other, and most would be ignored in the follow up game.

GhostBlade

Neo Member
Diablohead said:
it looked like artwork slides with voice over.

Thanks, was hoping for in-game but like others said, with story mode this is a minor disappointment. Especially when you consider how much content is in this game. Tuesday is just too far away!

Snaku said:
Are the endings in this game all canon? Endings in the old games always bugged me because they'd often conflict with each other, and most would be ignored in the follow up game.
Story mode is likely canon, Ladder endings are "what-ifs" if the fighter won the tournament-- so some stuff is canon and some stuff isn't. Bios are also canon.

In the previous two games (Deception, Armageddon). Konquest mode kinda served the purpose of Story mode.

GhostBlade said:
Thanks, was hoping for in-game but like others said, with story mode this is a minor disappointment. Especially when you consider how much content is in this game. Tuesday is just too far away!

I still think the endings for DA and Deception are well done with the artwork and voice overs. I popped in DA over the weekend and watched a few and enjoyed them quite a bit. Much better than what they did in Armageddon for endings or in pre-DA games IMO (Jax's MK4 ending lol).

infinityBCRT said:
I still think the endings for DA and Deception are well done with the artwork and voice overs. I popped in DA over the weekend and watched a few and enjoyed them quite a bit. Much better than what they did in Armageddon for endings or in pre-DA games IMO (Jax's MK4 ending lol).
I actually kinda liked the Deception(?) endings where there was just a voice over and the character would do a little martial arts dance or whatever the word for it is.

Cool song at that part too.

The Lamonster said:
I actually kinda liked the Deception(?) endings where there was just a voice over and the character would do a little martial arts dance or whatever the word for it is.

That was Armageddon and it annoyed the hell outta me because it was the same animation for everyone and if I'm not mistaken that animation was like from one of the first demos they showed of Deadly Alliance with Scorpion moving around like that.

NeonZ

The Lamonster said:

That's Armageddon, and there were multiple bgms for that scene according to the character. Those endings didn't bother me too much, actually. Pictures would have been better of course, but the main story was in the Konquest mode anyway, and pictures wouldn't add much, especially if they were lazy and attempted to just use the in game models, like in Deception.

I just wish the game actually remembered and registered the endings in some kind of gallery. That was a pretty stupid omission.

RS4-

Was there any solid info in re: to how Shang Tsung morphs? From videos it looks like he absorbs the person he's fighting against.

Khezu

RS4- said:
Was there any solid info in re: to how Shang Tsung morphs? From videos it looks like he absorbs the person he's fighting against.

He can only morph into people he soul steals from, they confirmed that on a stream a few days ago, however when he is morphed he gets a damage bonus.

The sub boss shang can morph into others though.

Chairhome

Minor update: I sent a message to Amazongames on twitter about the situation, they told me they'll look into it. Here's hoping... if they resolve it, I'll order from them.

BuzzJive

Chairhome said:
Minor update: I sent a message to Amazongames on twitter about the situation, they told me they'll look into it. Here's hoping... if they resolve it, I'll order from them.

In my experience, I ordered Halo Reach about 4 days before ship date, and Amazon did not make the promised release date delivery. They refunded my 99 cents and later gave me a $5 Amazon credit to make up for it. I was pretty bummed that I didn't get the game on release date though. This was also my only "release date delivery" experience with Amazon, so they really blew that. I wouldn't trust them this close to actual ship date.

JdFoX187

Banned
All this talk about release date shipping woes made me check mine. Thankfully, it's still on for delivery Tuesday. I have that day off, so I'm hoping for a long afternoon of blood and kombat.

Struct09

BuzzJive said:
In my experience, I ordered Halo Reach about 4 days before ship date, and Amazon did not make the promised release date delivery. They refunded my 99 cents and later gave me a $5 Amazon credit to make up for it. I was pretty bummed that I didn't get the game on release date though. This was also my only "release date delivery" experience with Amazon, so they really blew that. I wouldn't trust them this close to actual ship date.

That sucks :(

I've been using Amazon's release-date shipping for a long time now and have never had a problem.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I haven't been hyped for a game like I am for MK in a long time! I cannot wait to dive into all this content and see whats hidden, just like the old days at the arcade inputting those secret codes!

GrayFoxPL

fernoca said:
Yeah...the only thing remaining is the cyber-skeletons; well the lack of them. :p

Hey MoonsaultSlayer probably had Kirehashi under his throat when he "changed" his mind so I don't blame him.

No one locking on me nor I hear "thumping" sound of the bombs so I stay with my rant ;).

You can all mock me until...! Until they release MK 2...errr...10 and they'll present the glorious cyber skeletons. And you all be like: "Omg! That guy was right. Is he ...an Elder God?!" and I'll be like: "Don't make me laugh!"
LCo.gif

I'm making a skull helmet and he-man strap belts as we speak.

Khezu said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guhmxuBIE6Y Someone just posted this video on another site, its from some french thing, it shows some story gameplay, a tiny bit of sheeva, and it confirms that
human cyrax and sektor are indeed alts
Spoilers obviously if you care.

Damn! I only saw first few seconds and I wish I hadn't, but from what I saw (story intro) it was fuckawesome!
I would go on complete media blackout but it's not possible to do that and stay in the thread.

I'm bit bummed there are only 2 new characters in the game. I don't need whole bunch but like a 4 new connected to existing warriors would be cool, like a Liu Kang's brother, Shao Kahn's father or Johnny Cage's crazy fanboy ;P.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Gamestop just got in their shipments today. My buddy sent a picture of the Tournament Edition. The boxes are gigantic.
Definitely need to go to the mom and pop shop near me then. If they have it I know they'll start selling them now. They sold NHL11 4-5 days before it was officially out and also put it up on their big screen TV.

TreIII

GrayFoxPL said:
I'm bit bummed there are only 2 new characters in the game. I don't need whole bunch but like a 4 new connected to existing warriors would be cool, like a Liu Kang's brother, Shao Kahn's father or Johnny Cage's crazy fanboy ;P.

I dunno. To me, the very notion of this game was to win back those fans who basically were disgruntled by the last decade's worth of lacking MK games. Notice how the only game from that period that pretty much everybody can agree on as being good is Shaolin Monks; a game that a) was a bad-ass brawler and b) revisited the more familiar and beloved MK1-2 time-frame and its characters.

In many ways, this game is doing the same thing. They can perhaps do for more interesting things next game, but I think it should go without saying that if they wanted to capture the interest of those who haven't played a MK game since like 1996, this "throw-back" was definitely the right move.

Besides, if anything, characters with random connections to established cast-mates out of nowhere, was one thing I disliked about the various characters introduced in MK4 and beyond. "Hey! Here's this black guy who happens to be a fellow White Lotus member! And here's this female Lin Kuei member who has the same powers as Sub Zero!" Etc., etc.

Nah, man. If anything, I think the likes of Kenshi and Fujin are more proper ways of introducing new characters. People that are free to interact with the various other characters, but still have their own backdrops that stand to be more than just "Hey, here's this best friend/brother/cousin/fangirl nobody knew we had until now!" thing.

alstein said:
What time do Gamestops open on midnight releases? Around 11:30 or so?

Basically an hour after closing for those who either want to pay off their preorder or get a copy. They just won't sell the game until 12:01

Filth

alstein said:
What time do Gamestops open on midnight releases? Around 11:30 or so?

They open around 10 - 10:30 so you can pay and hold a receipt. Then at 12 you can walk in and grab your game quickly.

Damn beaten x 2

TreIII said:
I dunno. To me, the very notion of this game was to win back those fans who basically were disgruntled by the last decade's worth of lacking MK games. Notice how the only game from that period that pretty much everybody can agree on as being good is Shaolin Monks; a game that a) was a bad-ass brawler and b) revisited the more familiar and beloved MK1-2 time-frame and its characters.

In many ways, this game is doing the same thing. They can perhaps do for more interesting things next game, but I think it should go without saying that if they wanted to capture the interest of those who haven't played a MK game since like 1996, this "throw-back" was definitely the right move.

Besides, if anything, characters with random connections to established cast-mates out of nowhere, was one thing I disliked about the various characters introduced in MK4 and beyond. "Hey! Here's this black guy who happens to be a fellow White Lotus member! And here's this female Lin Kuei member who has the same powers as Sub Zero!" Etc., etc.

Nah, man. If anything, I think the likes of Kenshi and Fujin are more proper ways of introducing new characters. People that are free to interact with the various other characters, but still have their own backdrops that stand to be more than just "Hey, here's this best friend/brother/cousin/fangirl nobody knew we had until now!" thing.
I agree with you. I think the best way to introduce new characters or 'MK4 and beyond' characters is DLC.

That said, I am really hoping for some cool new characters. I think MK needs some sort of beast character like Beast (X-Men) or Blanka or some type of Werewolf guy. I say this because the game needs variety in character types. Think about MKII. You have Kung Lao and Liu Kang who are both skinny asian dudes, and Shao Khan who has HUGE muscles and is built like Arnold Schwarzenegger. However, in MK9 every male character basically has the same body and same amount of muscles, and the females are all skinny with big boobs. Kung Lao and Shao Khan have almost exactly the same body type.

Give us a hairy guy with fangs! Or a fat girl! Or a skinny midget! I'm guessing that kind of thing just wouldn't jive with the X-Ray stuff and fatalities.

AnEternalEnigma said:
They call it a "midnight" release for a reason.

Just call the one you're going to. The one I frequent ring up everyone around 10:00 and then hands the games out at 12:00. If you come around 12:30 you're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom