• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

I hope improved netplay isn't them resorting to what they did for there past games, and change move properties.
I never played any of the games myself, but I heard it was very stupid, and made MK vs DC play like a magical wonderland of ridiculousness.

I guess that would probably require a lot of work though, so hoping for the best.

vixlar

I've been playing this game for a week. Some observations:

1.- I have a friend who likes videogames but he don't play that much, you know, marriage and all of that. We played Marvel VS Capcom 3... he didn't know what was happening on screen. Then we played MK and he was doing a good game with Scorpion (come here uppercut), then I showed him some of the new movements, and he was playing like a pro.

2.- I think in MK5-7 they tried to implement 2d mechanics in a 3d game. Well it was no good. In this game, they implemented 3d combo mechanics (high, mid and low attacks) in a 2d game, and I feel they succeeded. It is incredible how you can trick at your opponent, feinting to do a mid punch, he stand block and then you go for a low punch and a combo. And little details like this. It makes the game very dinamic.

3.- I didn't want to play arcade mode, my only interest in fighting games is playing against my friends, but I wanted to try some combos... I don't what it has... it is really fun!!! Maybe is because of the fatalities or I don't know what, but I really enjoy arcade mode.

4.- Story mode is great.

alstein

While I love the NRS patching, unlike the haters, I do think it's a good idea to hold off on patching the week before a major tourney. So a good move on NRS's part. Listing the cheese stuff like the infinite blockstrings so they can be banned is a good idea though.

I just want the net play fixes, I can deal with the balance issues for now, just allow me to play the game, I haven't touched mk for two weeks because of the garbage net play.

sleepykyo

y2dvd said:
If flash kick is going to have longer recover then it needs more priority. It's only good on wake-up.

I don't know, it seems like a good anti-air (obviously not as good as Kung Lao's hat spin) but a lot of other characters have to pull an anticipatory air to air or d + 2 . Ground based reversals, how have wake-up nutcracker and ex nutcracker worked for you?

They're nerfing Quan Chi's teleport? For fuck's sakes, it's already a terrible move, and it's his only wake up option. Fucking stupid.

And what does he get in return? More or less nothing.

Nerfing Quan Chi is like the opposite of what they should be doing with him.

Khezu

Green Mamba said:
They're nerfing Quan Chi's teleport? For fuck's sakes, it's already a terrible move, and it's his only wake up option. Fucking stupid.

And what does he get in return? More or less nothing.

Nerfing Quan Chi is like the opposite of what they should be doing with him.

With the jax buffs, and the possible sheeva buffs, quan chi will end up being the worst character in the game.

Which I am sure a lot of old school 2D MK fans love.

Patch delayed again?

Well it isn't really delayed, it never had a set date, only tom was saying it was coming this week, and he doesn't work for NRS, he kinda DCed it in the comments section of TYM saying that NRS WANTED it out this week, but MS and sony cert takes a long time.

sleepykyo

Khezu said:
With the jax buffs, and the possible sheeva buffs, quan chi will end up being the worst character in the game.

Which I am sure a lot of old school 2D MK fans love.

What are these Sheeva buffs that actually make her good? As is she already has 50pt combos. That last 3 point increase on her combos doesn't address her lack of speed, mobility or gtfo me (hat spin, ex nutcracker, (ex) dash) factor.

Khezu

I don't know what they are or if there even true, that's why I said possible.
The dude digimonemperor that posts a lot of combo videos made a sheeva guide a few days ago, and he insists shes getting buffed next patch, he said her ex attacks are going to be 'gdlk" which will help her wakeup game. I am not exactly sure why he would straight up lie or make things up, but I'm rather skeptical.

As you said though she has a lot of problems, I don't think she needs a fast special to be good though, most characters can get by with just using the universe D1 or D3 pokes to stop pressure and escape.
Personally I'm not even sure what I would do to fix her, outside of just completely remaking her, and making her a proper grappler.

Bought the classic pack today, already owned ermac (le) and scorp (game preorder) but I am happy to have everyone as retro classic, thank you neverrealm.

y2dvd said:
If flash kick is going to have longer recover then it needs more priority. It's only good on wake-up.
i'm half drunk but did I just read that right?????

*edit* scorpion not sub, i was drunk !

Susurrus

PS3 classic pack up....since the shitty online play pretty much means I can't play online period at the moment, I'll be holding off. I don't have anyone to play offline with and i've completed story mode and arcade mode, so only have a few skips from the tower left where you can't choose skins.

FIX THE ONLINE

agrajag

Banned
Hey guys, I'm stuck fighting Shao Kahn with Raiden. He's so fucking cheap, any tips on beating him? I'm trying to shoot lightning bolts from far away, but then the fucking hammer gets me. Also, been trying to teleport when he shoots a projectile and then do a quick little electrocution followed by uppercut combo. But I can't seem to get the timing right on any of those, it was way easier to fight him with Liu Kang, because I could just spam low fireballs and duck under all his projectiles. It also seems he's more aggressive this time around.

Shaneus

agrajag said:
Hey guys, I'm stuck fighting Shao Kahn with Raiden. He's so fucking cheap, any tips on beating him? I'm trying to shoot lightning bolts from far away, but then the fucking hammer gets me. Also, been trying to teleport when he shoots a projectile and then do a quick little electrocution followed by uppercut combo. But I can't seem to get the timing right on any of those, it was way easier to fight him with Liu Kang, because I could just spam low fireballs and duck under all his projectiles. It also seems he's more aggressive this time around.
I just did teleport right before he attacks, then while he's mid-move (a lot of his attacks are slow) I uppercutted. If he does a move that he recovers quickly from, I just teleport when he gets close.

paul187

vixlar said:
Wow at the second fatality!!!!

I didn't like how they recycled the idea for both of them. The concept is cool, but they should have mixed it up for the other one. The Pez one is my favourite out of the two though.

Khezu

Some gameplay of skarlet from E3.

Shes kinda weird, she seems to have a slower dash similar to reptile and her kunai can be used like kitanas EX fans, and she can delay them a bit. She also has command normal overhead similar to scorpions.
I wonder how balanced shes going to be out of the gate, I suspect NRS is going to use there tweak hotfixs for most of the DLC balancing, and let everyone play test for them.

fernoca

In case anyone missed it..
The final episode of the online series Mortal Kombat Legacy, was delayed until the week of July 21-24; where it will debut at Comic-Con.

Guess there will be an announcement tied to that, maybe the confirmation of Bluray/DVD release with bonuses.

Jeff Gerstmann just said on the live Giant Bombcast that he spoke to Ed Boon today about DLC. He said they have four DLC characters planned so far and they plan to release one every two weeks. He said that Kenshi is next after Skarlett. No word on the other two. Based on DLC sales, they could make more. No word on pricing or future costume packs.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Jeff Gerstmann just said on the live Giant Bombcast that he spoke to Ed Boon today about DLC. He said they have four DLC characters planned so far and they plan to release one every two weeks. He said that Kenshi is next after Skarlett. No word on the other two. Based on DLC sales, they could make more. No word on pricing or future costume packs.
Going to guess one of the last two will be Rain.

1301806680001.png

fernoca

At Gametrailers, Ed Boon recently talked a little about the story mode, if future games will have one, and DLC.

Thanks to Mortal Kombat online for th summary (and link):

Boon describes Skarlet and her blood-themed fatalities as some of the most "disturbing" in the game, with exclusive first-look footage showing off the baptism of gore that is her Blood Shower, as well as the partial decapitation of her "Pez dispenser" finishing move.

Skarlet debuts as downloadable content in the near future, with Kenshi confirmed to be part of DLC plans into the summer that will include two additional extra characters. The E3 weekend has also seen the release of previously store-exclusive klassic costumes in a single pack [full story].

Developing technologies from the major console providers sparked interest for the future development of MK. Boon discussed PlayStation Vita and Nintendo Wii U as potential platforms to rekindle the portable fighting game experience for MK fans. Boon's focus for the future on consoles includes a grander vision for the MK story mode, expanding on a cinematic presentation of adventure glued together by the fighting mechanic. He describes the 2011 story mode as 'scratching the surface' of what is possible.

On the subject of the MK story, the co-creator laments on the creative freedoms of a time travelling plot. With no certain plans for the future, Boon assures fans that, as usual, they have not seen the last of their favourite characters, regardless of their 2011 fate. The possibility for NetherRealm Studios to expand their horizons into other genres is a goal.​

fernoca

Also, Skarlet bio...

vp0Hg.png

Skarlet: Shao Kahn Enforcer
Shao Kahn has many warriors under his command, but his trust lies solely in the fighters of his own creation. Warrior blood gathered from countless battlefields, fused with sorcery, produced his most effective enforcer yet: Skarlet.

An expert tracker, she preys on those deemed enemies of the empire. During kombat, Skarlet gains strength from her opponent's blood, absorbing it through her skin. Shao Kahn has a new mission for this formidable kombatant: discover Quan Chi's true intentions and kill him if he plots betrayal of the emperor.

BigFwoosh

Chamber said:
Damn, Tom Brady went in on Netherrealm.
I definitely understand the frustration he and Aris are feeling, but the thing everybody needs to remember is the NS is a software company. They're not going to put out small title updates all the time because there's a process that has to happen both internally and externally for each update. They're going to pack in as many fixes as possible before they release a patch, and they need to test each patch thoroughly before release. It's pretty unrealistic to say "it's fucked up to release a patch two days before EVO." The thing has to come out when it's ready and certified, and that isn't even entirely up to NS. I think it's a little ignorant to think they are resting on their laurels or don't care enough. Just my two cents.

Khezu

BigFwoosh said:
I definitely understand the frustration he and Aris are feeling, but the thing everybody needs to remember is the NS is a software company. They're not going to put out small title updates all the time because there's a process that has to happen both internally and externally for each update. They're going to pack in as many fixes as possible before they release a patch, and they need to test each patch thoroughly before release. It's pretty unrealistic to say "it's fucked up to release a patch two days before EVO." The thing has to come out when it's ready and certified, and that isn't even entirely up to NS. I think it's a little ignorant to think they are resting on their laurels or don't care enough. Just my two cents.

On last nights giant bomb live E3 thing jeff said he talked to boon, and that the patch is done and has been thru sony cert and there just waiting on MS.
People really do underestimate just how annoying it is to patch games on consoles.

sleepykyo

Khezu said:
On last nights giant bomb live E3 thing jeff said he talked to boon, and that the patch is done and has been thru sony cert and there just waiting on MS.
People really do underestimate just how annoying it is to patch games on consoles.
If that's the case put the ps3 one up already or the 360 one. It isn't its that uncommon to release the patches separately . At least match AE if they can't match vf5 or BB.

Heya's. I am getting MK9 from Amazon, but was wondering how would I get the online pass to work? I assume I would need a US account (which I have..but it's silver..if that matters).

And in regards to DLC (so want to play as Skarlet), if I were to buy a US points card and download the DLC to my US account, is there a way to then play the game and DLC on my actual gold Australian account?

I had a quick glance through this thread, but no doubt missed it if it was already asked.

Cheers guys :)

fernoca

Samurai Penguin said:
Heya's. I am getting MK9 from Amazon, but was wondering how would I get the online pass to work? I assume I would need a US account (which I have..but it's silver..if that matters).

And in regards to DLC (so want to play as Skarlet), if I were to buy a US points card and download the DLC to my US account, is there a way to then play the game and DLC on my actual gold Australian account?

I had a quick glance through this thread, but no doubt missed it if it was already asked.

Cheers guys :)
Zup! :p
For online, in your case as you're on Xbox live; you can only play online with Godl Account. You can still redeem the online pass (which can be redeemed through th game, through the Redeem Code option of the Marketplace); but you still need a Gold subscription. Though you can get Gold Trials and play at any moment.

As for Skarlet, well..hard to tell at the moment. She will be released later in the month. The game's apparently region free, but I've heard conflicting reports about that (if the DLC will work with an account from another region).

The game's online is also region locked, so if you're planning to play with friends online that also bought the game; keep their games'-region in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom