• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
How do I get the DLC? I'm in Australia and the only way I could use the online code was to make a US account. I went back into that account to check the DLC but no patches or DLC show up. :\

NeonZ

akilshohen said:
Haven't they already animated Frost fighting? Isn't she in one of the background fighting?

Most of the character cameos shown in the background seem to be just using their models from Mortal Kombat Armageddon. They certainly won't use any of them in the game without making completely new 3d models.

Huge improvement to the negative edge, you can't dial-a-combo so easily now, no more early inputs for ermac which took me a few attempts to get used too.
Darklord said:
How do I get the DLC? I'm in Australia and the only way I could use the online code was to make a US account. I went back into that account to check the DLC but no patches or DLC show up. :\
Patches usually take an hour or so so roll around the net but no dlc showing is an odd one.

Darklord said:

Silly question, but you DID check the US playstation store, right? I'm Aussie and I have the DLC, maybe search for "mortal kombat" in the store, it should show the costumes.

Darklord

Banned
OneMoreQuestion said:
Silly question, but you DID check the US playstation store, right? I'm Aussie and I have the DLC, maybe search for "mortal kombat" in the store, it should show the costumes.

I have the xbox version. I might check the market place, maybe it's just not coming up in the games DLC menu.

Played 2 matches online just now, ranked paired me up with a laggy opponent so no improvement there :/ custom match in a room with a random was better but the sound became all static and very loud so I had to turn it down, the other player was suppose to have 4 green orbs ping but it felt more like 3 from before :/

Need to play someone who I know has the patch or something, these players might have logged on before the update hit or do they get kicked offline when that happens?

Khezu

Uh, are you sure you got the patch?
Its not popping up for me, and I haven't seen anyone else anywhere talk about getting it.

Are you sure you didn't just have to redownlaod an old patch because your cache was cleared?

An easy way to test is to play as jax and see if you can dash cancel out of his normal ground pound.

There wasn't a patch already, but uh the way there hotfix system works involves the cache, so if you download another update for a different game, or something, it will clear it and you will have to download it again when you put MK back in.
At least thats how I understand it, I could totally be talking out of my ass.

Khezu said:
Uh, are you sure you got the patch?
Its not popping up for me, and I haven't seen anyone else anywhere talk about getting it.

Are you sure you didn't just have to redownlaod an old patch because your cache was cleared?

An easy way to test is to play as jax and see if you can dash cancel out of his normal ground pound.
was there already one patch? oh man in that case this might be it, I thought the game had never been patched until this lag update patch?

I will test jax just to be sure.

*edit* I can dash only after he hits the floor which I think is the old way, fudge sorry about that then false alarm. I feel like a prat now :p

Struct09

Diablohead said:
was there already one patch? oh man in that case this might be it, I thought the game had never been patched until this lag update patch?

I will test jax just to be sure.

*edit* I can dash only after he hits the floor which I think is the old way, fudge sorry about that then false alarm. I feel like a prat now :p

There was a day 1 patch that fixed things like Sindel's infinite

fernoca

Good news everyone...I think.. :p

Skarlet and the other 3 upcoming DLC characters will be priced at: $4.99 (400 MSPoints) each.

Way better tthan the $7-$10 I was expecting, since the retro pack costs $5 too.

Adding the price to the main post now.

EDIT:
Europe/UK will be getting Skarlet and the retro-pack on June 22.

Tesseract

Banned
fernoca said:
Good news everyone...I think.. :p

Skarlet and the other 3 upcoming DLC characters will be priced at: $4.99 (400 MSPoints) each.

Way better tthan the $7-$10 I was expecting, since the retro pack costs $5 too.

Adding the price to the main post now.

EDIT:
Europe/UK will be getting Skarlet and the retro-pack on June 22.

this is crap. characters should be free, skins should not. and 5 bucks per character is pretty ridiculous for a retail game that cost 60 bones at launch.

meh.

fernoca

Tesseract said:
this is crap. characters should be free, skins should not. and 5 bucks per character is pretty ridiculous for a retail game that cost 60 bones at launch.

meh.
If anything, it should be the opposite.
Characters should cost money since those do require some more work and add more content to the overall game, skins should be free since it's just cosmetic.

But the game's already packed with a ton of content, so the more the merrier.

vg260

Tesseract said:

meh.

You got this backwards. Characters require a lot more development time for creation, balancing, etc than skins. Their employees have to create these, you know. Not to mention a playable character in a fighting game is a huge gameplay addition. Skins are cosmetic. Skins take time (i.e. money) to make too, so be glad they're throwing these in for free.

Tesseract said:

meh.
And why "should" characters be free? For one thing, it takes a lot more work to create a new character than design a new skin for an existing character.

And why is there always someone on GAF that complains about every single DLC and whines about it costing money? Do you know how the world works? Did you expect a company to get people to work for free? I know I wouldn't show up at my job if I found out I wasn't going to be paid.

Also, you don't have to purchase this. If you're so against DLC, don't buy it.

Tesseract said:

meh.
Lol, they don't have to even give us new characters at all, let alone give it to us for free.

alstein

HeresSomeWeapons said:
Lol, they don't have to even give us new characters at all, let alone give it to us for free.

Really, the extra chars were kinda unnecessary, but I think it supports all the PC-like post-patching balance work they're doing, which is great. (And something more fighters should do, though I wish the game was moving in a slightly different direction)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Tesseract said:

meh.

As people have stated already, the opposite of what you're saying is true.

Bleepey

Tesseract said:

meh.

I understand why, cos if characters are free then it can split the competitive scene. However, characters require the most work.

Tesseract

Banned
i look at league of legends and see a model that should be copied by every major publisher for every major competitive game. it is the standard by which all games should be judged.

this is a nickel-and-dime job that sucks the lifeblood out of the community.

*edit*
The League of Legends Store allows Summoners to purchase additional options through Riot Points (RP) and Influence Points (IP). Riot Points must be bought using real money, while Influence Points are earned by playing the game.

Champions can be unlocked for either RP or IP.
Skins are alternate looks for champions that can be unlocked for RP only.

from wikipedia.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tesseract said:
i look at league of legends and see a model that should be copied by every major publisher for every major competitive game. it is the standard by which all games should be judged.

So you want an MK with the character balance of LoL?

Tesseract said:

meh.
$5 is on the low end compared to other fighting games.
Only SSFIVAE is cheaper per character, but you have to buy all four characters together.

DLC characters for SCIV and MvC3 were $5, and BBCS2 was for the high rollers at $7/$8

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Tesseract said:

*edit*

from wikipedia.

No. League of Legends is an online PC only game. Your comparison is silly, and your standard is outlandish.

fernoca

League of Legends like other games make money out of microtransactions, and they use the money from that to add more content for free (Valve does the same, but Valve also makes a lot of money on other things). So is not like they're gifting people free content out of the bottom of their hearts.

But the microtransaction-aspect of online games haven't been tested that much in consoles (Freerealms on PS3 only..at the moment), much less in fighting games; so a similar move would be too risky. Since in the end, publishers and developers just want to make money.

Heck, Valve releases free content for Team Fortress 2 yet people complain about the hats costing money. Criterion did something similar with Paradise, and released the first few DLC for free...yet people complained when they started charging money for the new one, completely forgetting about the previous free stuff. So it's obvious that not everyone is ever pleased and what may be the "standard" to some, is the opposite for others.

Tesseract said:

meh.

I thought it was cheap. I was expecting 10 bucks for a new character. I mean 7 skins cost 5 bucks, you'd think a character would cost more.

fernoca said:
If anything, it should be the opposite.
Characters should cost money since those do require some more work and add more content to the overall game, skins should be free since it's just cosmetic.

But the game's already packed with a ton of content, so the more the merrier.

I'm still thinking people have got the news about the cyrax/sektor skins wrong.
My gut tells me the new patch will be "you can fight against Skarlett and fight against UMK3 cyrax/sektor but can't select any of the three." and when you download the $5 Skarlet unlock key, you'll also get the costumes unlocked for cyrax/sektor -- much the way the klassic kostume pack worked -- everyone in game could see klassic costumes because they were on disc, but you could only use them after you downloaded the unlock file.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Tesseract said:
i'm comparing one model to another. the rest is crap and you know it.

You're comparing apples to oranges. The standards should not be the same for both just because they're both games.

I'd like to compare WoW to Halo. Or Monopoly to Madden 11. It simply doesn't make sense because the revenue streams, development processes, and userbases are completely different.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
$5/character is ridiculous. $10 for a four-pack of characters was what I would've expected. I'll wait for a sale on either points or the content.

People are surprised characters would cost money? Come on man, this is the age of charging for every little thing. 5$ is pretty standard price for stuff like this.

fernoca

corrosivefrost said:
I'm still thinking people have got the news about the cyrax/sektor skins wrong.
My gut tells me the new patch will be "you can fight against Skarlett and fight against UMK3 cyrax/sektor but can't select any of the three." and when you download the $5 Skarlet unlock key, you'll also get the costumes unlocked for cyrax/sektor -- much the way the klassic kostume pack worked -- everyone in game could see klassic costumes because they were on disc, but you could only use them after you downloaded the unlock file.
The press release is not qutie clear anyway:
Also available on that date will be a compatibility pack featuring two klassic skins – Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 – inspired Cyrax and Sektor.
The original report from TRMK just said:
To entice fans, these packs will come with extra goodies. The Skarlet DLC packs come with Sektor and Cyrax classic Mortal Kombat 3 skins that were leaked last month.
Guess we'll know for sure next week.

notworksafe said:
Actually do we know if Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain, and ??? are getting alt costumes/ladder story modes? I was just assuming they did.
Yep. Regular costume, alt costume, ladder mode ending were confirmed some tiem ago, unless things changed recently.

W Hudson

notworksafe said:
Actually do we know if Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain, and ??? are getting alt costumes/ladder story modes? I was just assuming they did.

Pretty sure ladder story modes/endings are confirmed, not sure about alt costumes, but I would imagine so.

EDIT - Beat. Will add that I'm certainly going to buy Skarlett day 1, but I wonder just how strong of a character she will be and who she will play like, if anyone. I don't get caught up in the high/low tier debates, IMO almost all of the characters are good in the right hands with practice. Plus I think NeatherRealm did a great job making each character unique, hopefully Skarlett follows that trend.

Tesseract

Banned
GuardianE said:
You're comparing apples to oranges. The standards should not be the same for both just because they're both games.

I'd like to compare WoW to Halo. Or Monopoly to Madden 11. It simply doesn't make sense because the revenue streams, development processes, and userbases are completely different.

i'm comparing two super competitive games that regularly release new characters. it's not like wow to halo, or monopoly to madden. it's not that abstract.

notworksafe

fernoca said:
Yep. Regular costume, alt costume, ladder mode ending were confirmed some tiem ago, unless things changed recently.
Cool. Alt costume will probably be a reward for finishing ladder, like with Kratos.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Are you guys talking about another patch? If so, hopefully this solves my MK PSN woes.

Xevren said:
WE NEED MORE PEOPLE IN THE CHAT! Games were working perfectly fine tonight.

We had an all time high tonight, 2 people in the chat. Woo. Hopefully we can get more people in so we can get some bigger lobbies going.

Would like an invite. PSN ID is "lyteedge2".

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Tesseract said:
i'm comparing two super competitive games that regularly release new characters. it's not like wow to halo, or monopoly to madden. it's not that abstract.

It's very abstract. You conveniently ignore "revenue streams, development processes, and userbases", I had mentioned. Even the platforms are completely different. As a console game, WB Games has to pay to add DLC to their games, whereas LoL runs almost solely on microtransactions. And you downplay the significance of an additional character in a fighting game (a genre where characters are 90% of the real game).

No one will ever adopt the LoL business model because no other game resembles LoL in any way.

Tesseract said:
i'm comparing one model to another. the rest is crap and you know it.
You paid $60 ($40 if you caught a sale) for a full game packed with content, a game which the developers are continuing to support months after launch with balance tweaks and free character skins. This is in addition to being offered paid not-on-disk DLC which is significantly cheaper than comparable DLC for all other games in the genre. I fail to see why you think you're getting shorted.

Tesseract

Banned
GuardianE said:
It's very abstract. You conveniently ignore "revenue streams, development processes, and userbases", I had mentioned. Even the platforms are completely different. As a console game, WB Games has to pay to add DLC to their games, whereas LoL runs almost solely on microtransactions. And you downplay the significance of an additional character in a fighting game (a genre where characters are 90% of the real game).

No one will ever adopt the LoL business model because no other game resembles LoL in any way.

i respectfully disagree. why should i care about revenue streams, development processes, and userbases?

And you downplay the significance of an additional character in a fighting game (a genre where characters are 90% of the real game).

no, i certainly don't. it's the opposite.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Tesseract said:
i respectfully disagree. why should i care about revenue streams, development processes, and userbases?

Because now you're comparing business models in an incredibly superficial and unrealistic way. Very few titles will ever be able to meet your expectations, and they will only be able to do so on certain platforms and certain genres... like I was trying to explain to you.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
DLC characters don't "harm" a competitive community when done correctly, which is what most of the fighting games with DLC have done. Even if you do not buy a DLC character/want to play them, updates are still issued so that *everyone* can see and play against said DLC character.

Therefore, nobody is ever caught by an "unfair" surprise of suddenly having to play in a tournament or some crap, against a character who they "unfairly" never got to learn the matchup against because they didn't want to buy the character.

If you don't care about a DLC character anyway, and don't want to play them, yet can still fight against them in your copy of the game, how is this different than simply choosing not to play an existing character in the cast? There is no difference.

It just seems as if one is trying to pick a fight when it comes to criticizing a package like MK9 which already has more content than any console fighting game ever, outside Smash Bros Brawl. The developer already gave you a mountain for a good price. The fact that they have to fund piecemeal development should be forgiven.

Edit:

Tesseract said:

Uh... I suppose it's nice to want things... but that sounds rather disingenuous. Why should you care about the things that answers your questions? It's like saying "I want this thing and don't care why it is or isn't practical or even reasonable. I want it!"

Xevren

Sent out invites to those who asked to get in the chat. If anyone else wants in just send me a friend request so I can invite you, I'll be back on later.

psn id is Xevren11

jonezer4

HeresSomeWeapons said:
You paid $60 ($40 if you caught a sale) for a full game packed with content, a game which the developers are continuing to support months after launch with balance tweaks and free character skins. This is in addition to being offered paid not-on-disk DLC which is significantly cheaper than comparable DLC for all other games in the genre. I fail to see why you think you're getting shorted.

I sort of disagree. You paid $60 for a game with a graphics/game engine, fighting mechanics, story mode, challenge tower, online, about 20 backgrounds, and 27 characters. If you subtract all the content, and assume when you buy the game you're paying for just the characters, 60/24 = $2.22 per character. If you were to weigh it with everything else, you're talking arguably around a buck or so per character.

This is why $5.00 per character is perceived as outrageous. Because you get so much more than that, from a value perspective, when purchasing a game. A game that even at that value, was still obviously hella profitable. Obviously the support you mentioned is nice, but whether you buy a character or not, you're receiving that, so it's not factoring into many people's perceived value of the DLC.

Is the game too cheap? Or the DLC overpriced? It has to be one or the other. All that said, the bottom line is: if you think it's too much, then don't pay for it. That's your prerogative as a consumer.

Struct09 said:
There was a day 1 patch that fixed things like Sindel's infinite
Hm, I most likely bashed the A button a lot while drooling over the CE box to not notice, must have played 5 different games since then :p

jonezer4 said:
Is the game too cheap? Or the DLC overpriced? It has to be one or the other. All that said, the bottom line is: if you think it's too much, then don't pay for it. That's your prerogative as a consumer.
Everything is cheaper in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom