• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

Ya kenshi looks great, so glad he still has his TK, and they integrated it perfectly with his sword attacks. Fantastic x-ray as well.

On the surface he kinda looks like a mix of Noob and Eramc, but that TK grab is just his regular throw, and the TK ghost image is just there to show the range of the attacks and look cool.

Poor Johnny

idUhRy.gif

idQkM8.gif

fernoca

DryEyeRelief said:
See? This is what happens when NRS introduces characters who aren't color swapped ninjas. They become kickass.
Well, they keep reintroducing the ninjas because people whine every time they don't. :p

Anyway, glad that Kenshi's coming next week. At least the wait won't be that long. :)

notworksafe

Second DLC character...and of course he looks awesome/cheap. That's the point of the trailer. Make him look the best so people will buy him.

fernoca

Void Insanity said:
Ok which dev do I need to punch for making the first DLC character Noob Saibot with a sword and ghost swords? Kenshi looks as cheap as Shao Khan.
You might need to punch yourself first. :p
Kenshi is not the first DLC character, but he also doesn't play (or looks) like Noob. He seems similar to how he was in Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon; were he used mostly telekinesis; but also mixed his sword-moves (which was an alternate fighting style in the previous games) as part of his regular arsenal of moves. He seems much faster too. :p

Anyway, slightly updated the main post of the thread. Now will put the latest news regarding patches/fixes/etc. under the main picture. well at least the latest ones. All will be listed on the Online Kombat section which that post also links.

zlatko

Banned
notworksafe said:
Second DLC character...and of course he looks awesome/cheap. That's the point of the trailer. Make him look the best so people will buy him.

He looks slow to me. Seems like he will get blown up by quick characters or ones with a teleport. His range on his normals and sword is great, but if the recovery is long then he'll get blown up easy.

Excited to see how he turns out.

notworksafe said:
Who was the first then? I kinda lost track of this games DLC with the PSN being dead for yonks at the time this game was released.

fernoca

Void Insanity said:
Who was the first then? I kinda lost track of this games DLC with the PSN being dead for yonks at the time this game was released.
fernoca said:
4Yl4S.png

New content will be added after release. From new kombatants, to new ways to kill (or die).

NOTES:
  • Each release of a character will also include a free 'Compatibility Pack'. This, not only lets you play against others that have the DLC characters; but also unlocks 2 retro skins for characters (for 8 additional retro costumes). This are separate to the 7 original retro-characters. (included in the Klassic Kostume Pack)
  • Those that got the 'Season Pass'; it's recommended that you download each character through the in-game store; under normal circumstances. Each character will appear priced at 0 Microsoft Points in there; but fully priced through the Xbox Marketplace..

Out Now:
Klassic Kostume Pack
Price: $4.99 (PSN) / 400 Microsoft Points (XLM)
Kontent: Classic costumes that were once exclusive for preorders, etc. for Scorpion*, Sub-Zero*, Reptile*, Ermac, Kitana, Mileena and Jade.
*: Includes a retro fatality
(See 'What to buy' section for more information and artwork.)

Season Pass *Xbox 360 exclusive*
Price: 1200 Microsoft Points (XLM)
Kontent: This pass lets you access and download all 4 upcoming DLC-characters/packs (Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain and ???), but only paying for 3 (400 MS Points/$4.99 savings). A nice deal if you're planning on buying all 4 characters. This pass doesn't grant access to the Klassic Kostume Pack; so keep that in mind.

New Playable Kharacter: Skarlet
Release: June 21, 2011
Kontent: Character model, biography, arcade ladder ending, X-ray move, special moves, 2 Fatalities, 1 Babality, retro costumes for Cyrax and Sektor*
*Retro costumes will also be free with the "preview pack". This preview pack is required to play online in order to see other players using Skarlet.

vp0Hg.png

Skarlet: Shao Kahn Enforcer
Shao Kahn has many warriors under his command, but his trust lies solely in the fighters of his own creation. Warrior blood gathered from countless battlefields, fused with sorcery, produced his most effective enforcer yet: Skarlet.

An expert tracker, she preys on those deemed enemies of the empire. During kombat, Skarlet gains strength from her opponent's blood, absorbing it through her skin. Shao Kahn has a new mission for this formidable kombatant: discover Quan Chi's true intentions and kill him if he plots betrayal of the emperor.

Fatality #1: Down, Back, Down ,Down, Block (Close)
Fatality #2: Forward, Back, Down, Down, Back Kick (Jump Distance)
Babality: Down, Back, Down, Right, Back Punch (Jump Distance)
Stage Fatality: Forward, Back, Forward, Front Punch (Close)​

Koming Soon:

New Playable Kharacter: Kenshi
Release: July 5, 2011
Kontent: Character model, biography, arcade ladder ending, X-ray move, special moves, 2 Fatalities, 1 Babality

New Playable Kharacter: Rain
Release: July 2011
Kontent: Character model, biography, arcade ladder ending, X-ray move, special moves, 2 Fatalities, 1 Babality

New Playable Kharacter: ???
Release: August 2011
Kontent: Character model, biography, arcade ladder ending, X-ray move, special moves, 2 Fatalities, 1 Babality​

:p

Mileena

Banned
notworksafe said:
He doesn't even look that good. Skarlet is the one you need to be complaining about. Braindead meterless 40%s midscreen, lol.

notworksafe

Void Insanity said:
Skarlet. She came out last week.

corkscrewblow said:
He doesn't even look that good. Skarlet is the one you need to be complaining about. Braindead meterless 40%s midscreen, lol.
I still need to put some time into her. Tourney planning and execution has had me too busy since she came out (and she was banned at ours so I didn't even bother thinking about her after I paid for her).

fernoca

akilshohen said:
Where is DLC Kintaro gonna be in all of this then? Or was he deconfirmed as DLC?
Yeah, deconfirmed back then. The team said that Gamepro made a mistake and reported him as DLC, when they were supposed to just reveal him...and tease at Kenshi/Skarlet for DLC.

Naar

djkimothy said:
A raiden video would be sweet! I'm currently maining him right now.

OK I'll try my best but I am not really good at these types of things XD I'll try to upload it in the next few days. Just a bit busy now

sleepykyo

zlatko said:
He looks slow to me. Seems like he will get blown up by quick characters or ones with a teleport. His range on his normals and sword is great, but if the recovery is long then he'll get blown up easy.

Excited to see how he turns out.

If the recovery is pretty short won't those moves be too strong?

edit:

corkscrewblow said:

If it's of any consolation, the ability to cancel the run into the mid launcher/high launcher is considered a bug that will be patched. Also it seems like she'll be banned for Evo due to coming out too late.

KorrZ

Could anyone direct me to some good tutorial videos? I've searched on youtube for combo vids but, I'm a complete fighting game noob and watching people do these combos with no explanation doesn't help me at all.

I play mainly Ermac and Smoke, any help would be appreciated :)

Khezu

If it's of any consolation, the ability to cancel the run into the mid launcher/high launcher is considered a bug that will be patched. Also it seems like she'll be banned for Evo due to coming out too late.

UP/down slash from the dash is intended, its that you can cancel the slide into them that is unintended. Dash > slide > downslash is low to mid and way to powerful.

W Hudson

Wow finally watched the Kenshi video and was blown away. Of course we have to wait for the character, but it looks like NRS did an amazing job. Hopefully he is as fun to play as he is to watch in that vid.

KorrZ said:
Could anyone direct me to some good tutorial videos? I've searched on youtube for combo vids but, I'm a complete fighting game noob and watching people do these combos with no explanation doesn't help me at all.

I play mainly Ermac and Smoke, any help would be appreciated :)

I don't have access to Youtube at work, but I will try and explain how I learned to pull off combos in the game, using your characters. The key in my mind was to learn how to link (or cancel) your character's normal moves/combos into their specials. Ermac, for instance, has a 3 hit combo consisting of Front Punch, Back Punch, Front Punch (from here on I will just abbreviate them as FP, BP, etc.,). But, rather than inputting the last FP, you can 'cancel' the last punch input and instead go into his special(s), the best one being force lift (down - back on the stick followed by FP). So now your inputs would be FP, BP, down back FP.

After the force lift, the opponent can now be juggled for further damage. Ermac's juggles can be pretty tricky to pull off after you get the opponent in a force lift. The easiest finishers would be either an uppercut (down + BP) or a force push (back forward FP). Or you can try to add a couple more hits prior to the force push. For example, you could hit BP, BP, then force push (back forward FP). So all together your combo would be FP, BP, force lift, BP, BP, force push (note you might need to move Ermac a bit forward after the force push so that the BP, BP string connects. I would work on getting this combo down first before trying anything else.

You can go even further and get more damage with Ermac following force lift. My favorite way to finish the combo with him is to jump in kick into teleport (the game calls it force port) followed by a dash, then BP, BP, force push. I will say that this is a pretty tough combo to pull off, one of the harder ones in the game. You can also forgo the dash into BP, BP part and just hit force push. So all told your combo would be as follows:

FP, BP, force lift, jump in kick, force port, dash, BP, BP, force push.

This concept can be applied to many of the characters in the game. Start small, learn how to link the characters basic combos (you can view them in the move list) into their special moves. For Smoke, a good one to start with would be to use his BP, FP combo starter into his smoke bomb. From there the opponent can be further juggled. You can use this same concept with moves like Scorpion's spear, Sub Zero's ice ball, Kung Lao's spin, Reptile's force ball, Kitana's fan lift, Cyrax's net, and many more.

I hope this helps and makes sense, when I get back home I will see if there are any good tutorial videos I would recommend. I may have phrased a few things confusingly hopefully you can understand it.

notworksafe

FallingEdge said:
I'll check it out when I get home.

Tourney was mad fun. EFL rolling deep!
Yeah you guys dominated us. Luckily it's kicked NM into ultra-hype mode and getting everyone to practice more.

And don't expect much from the vid. I did well the first round but my nerves got the better of me after that. I did that all weekend. :(

KorrZ

W Hudson said:
Wow finally watched the Kenshi video and was blown away. Of course we have to wait for the character, but it looks like NRS did an amazing job. Hopefully he is as fun to play as he is to watch in that vid.

I don't have access to Youtube at work, but I will try and explain how I learned to pull off combos in the game, using your characters. The key in my mind was to learn how to link (or cancel) your character's normal moves/combos into their specials. Ermac, for instance, has a 3 hit combo consisting of Front Punch, Back Punch, Front Punch (from here on I will just abbreviate them as FP, BP, etc.,). But, rather than inputting the last FP, you can 'cancel' the last punch input and instead go into his special(s), the best one being force lift (down - back on the stick followed by FP). So now your inputs would be FP, BP, down back FP.

After the force lift, the opponent can now be juggled for further damage. Ermac's juggles can be pretty tricky to pull off after you get the opponent in a force lift. The easiest finishers would be either an uppercut (down + BP) or a force push (back forward FP). Or you can try to add a couple more hits prior to the force push. For example, you could hit BP, BP, then force push (back forward FP). So all together your combo would be FP, BP, force lift, BP, BP, force push (note you might need to move Ermac a bit forward after the force push so that the BP, BP string connects. I would work on getting this combo down first before trying anything else.

You can go even further and get more damage with Ermac following force lift. My favorite way to finish the combo with him is to jump in kick into teleport (the game calls it force port) followed by a dash, then BP, BP, force push. I will say that this is a pretty tough combo to pull off, one of the harder ones in the game. You can also forgo the dash into BP, BP part and just hit force lift. So all told your combo would be as follows:

FP, BP, force lift, jump in kick, force port, dash, BP, BP, force push.

This concept can be applied to many of the characters in the game. Start small, learn how to link the characters basic combos (you can view them in the move list) into their special moves. For Smoke, a good one to start with would be to use his BP, FP combo starter into his smoke bomb. From there the opponent can be further juggled. You can use this same concept with moves like Scorpion's spear, Sub Zero's ice ball, Kung Lao's spin, Reptile's force ball, Kitana's fan lift, Cyrax's net, and many more.

I hope this helps and makes sense, when I get back home I will see if there are any good tutorial videos I would recommend. I may have phrased a few things confusingly hopefully you can understand it.

This was actually perfect, I'm going to take this into training mode for a bit and try it out. The concept of cancelling mid-combo was something I wasn't really grasping but the way you explained it helped, and it gives me something simple to practice at to start. Thanks for the help, if you stumble across any of those videos please post them!

W Hudson

KorrZ said:
This was actually perfect, I'm going to take this into training mode for a bit and try it out. The concept of cancelling mid-combo was something I wasn't really grasping but the way you explained it helped, and it gives me something simple to practice at to start. Thanks for the help, if you stumble across any of those videos please post them!

Glad to be of help. I struggled with a lot of this as well when I first started playing MK9, I hadn't played a fighting game in over a decade before this game. I looked around, there were no great videos, but I found this one which is a kind of beginner's guide to the game, but he goes over some important core concepts that the tutorial mode of the game doesn't really cover, most important is about high, medium, and low hits. He also covers combos and cancelling in to them as well, but its kind of similar to what I previously posted.

Machinima Beginner Guide

Also, if you have an iPhone or Android phone, there is a guide called the Hologamma Mini Guide which I found useful. It has each characters special moves, 'normal' combos, finishers, as well as about 4-5 longer 'juggle' combos for each. The guide has the exact commands for each of these combos, along with a couple paragraphs describing each characters combo abilities/strengths/weaknesses. It costs $1.99, but its really a good guide which is easy to use with a great interface. Plus it is updated consistently with any new information (such as DLC characters).

Best advice I would offer is to keep practicing to get comfortable with combo system, then work on learning how to mix people up with high/low/medium attacks (which is talked about in that video). Each character has around 3 really good combo strings (just the normal ones) which are going to be your go to moves. Its great when you have a combo string with a medium (also called an overhead) or a low attack, as those can connect against blocking opponents. For example, one string I love with Ermac is string which is a simple 2 hitter, forward + BK followed by back + BP. The first hit is low, so it hits a blocking opponent who is standing. Its not super damaging, but it hits very frequently due to the low starter.

One more concept I should mention that I struggled with is the buffering (at least I think that's the proper term, some here may correct me) system in the game. I don't want to be confusing, but in a nutshell this basically allows you to shortcut and avoid hitting certain buttons during combos. A simple example that's pretty easy to practice is with Ermac and his teleport. The teleport's normal input is down, back, BK. But if you start with a jump in kick using BK, you can then just hit down, back on the stick/pad without hitting BK again. Ermac will still do a 2 hit combo though, same as if you had hit down, back, BK after the initial jump in kick. It has to be done pretty fast though.

Again hope this helps. Once you start getting the hang of everything this game really does have a great combo and fighting system which is a lot of fun to use.

KorrZ

W Hudson said:
Glad to be of help. I struggled with a lot of this as well when I first started playing MK9, I hadn't played a fighting game in over a decade before this game. I looked around, there were no great videos, but I found this one which is a kind of beginner's guide to the game, but he goes over some important core concepts that the tutorial mode of the game doesn't really cover, most important is about high, medium, and low hits. He also covers combos and cancelling in to them as well, but its kind of similar to what I previously posted.

Machinima Beginner Guide

Also, if you have an iPhone or Android phone, there is a guide called the Hologamma Mini Guide which I found useful. It has each characters special moves, 'normal' combos, finishers, as well as about 4-5 longer 'juggle' combos for each. The guide has the exact commands for each of these combos, along with a couple paragraphs describing each characters combo abilities/strengths/weaknesses. It costs $1.99, but its really a good guide which is easy to use with a great interface. Plus it is updated consistently with any new information (such as DLC characters).

Best advice I would offer is to keep practicing to get comfortable with combo system, then work on learning how to mix people up with high/low/medium attacks (which is talked about in that video). Each character has around 3 really good combo strings (just the normal ones) which are going to be your go to moves. Its great when you have a combo string with a medium (also called an overhead) or a low attack, as those can connect against blocking opponents. For example, one string I love with Ermac is string which is a simple 2 hitter, forward + BK followed by back + BP. The first hit is low, so it hits a blocking opponent who is standing. Its not super damaging, but it hits very frequently due to the low starter.

One more concept I should mention that I struggled with is the buffering (at least I think that's the proper term, some here may correct me) system in the game. I don't want to be confusing, but in a nutshell this basically allows you to shortcut and avoid hitting certain buttons during combos. A simple example that's pretty easy to practice is with Ermac and his teleport. The teleport's normal input is down, back, BK. But if you start with a jump in kick using BK, you can then just hit down, back on the stick/pad without hitting BK again. Ermac will still do a 2 hit combo though, same as if you had hit down, back, BK after the initial jump in kick. It has to be done pretty fast though.

Again hope this helps. Once you start getting the hang of everything this game really does have a great combo and fighting system which is a lot of fun to use.

Thanks again for the help, you've really gone above and beyond what I ever expected to get when I initially asked for help. This is the first fighting game I've played in easily over a decade myself, and the first one I've ever played online. I haven't gotten a chance to look at that Youtube video yet, because I'm at school but I'm going to check out that iPhone app right now. The entire buffering concept you just mentioned was something I didn't even know existed. I've been jump kicking in and hammering d b BK all this time.

notworksafe

Ryaaan14 said:
Wow, those are probably the best female ninja cosplay outfits I've seen.

The girls aren't that bad either
They look better than the two manfaces that are in-game Jade and Kitana, that's for sure.

sleepykyo

Khezu said:
UP/down slash from the dash is intended, its that you can cancel the slide into them that is unintended. Dash > slide > downslash is low to mid and way to powerful.
Are you sure? Neither the high nor mid show up in the move list as a dash option .

Khezu

sleepykyo said:
Are you sure? Neither the high nor mid show up in the move list as a dash option .

Yes positive, the one dude who posted about the change specifically says upslash/downslash/x-ray won't work of a slide anymore, not the dash.

Also they do talk about some of her moves in this short Mkast video, mentioning that you can do several moves off the ninja dash.

Kenshi looks like a noob 2.0, which I can roll with as noob is quite unique with his shadows. Also nice to see what looks like a slower power character in the mix, much better and more interesting then scarlet last week.

So far the patch on 360 has worked really well for me. Only a couple matches have desynchronized but I also don't have the retro costumes pack so I don't know if that helps. I've also noticed online that I'm seeing way more diverse characters being played compared to earlier when everyone was either, Scorpion, Ermac, or Raiden.

fernoca

Jeff Green's Son said:
So far the patch on 360 has worked really well for me. Only a couple matches have desynchronized but I also don't have the retro costumes pack so I don't know if that helps. I've also noticed online that I'm seeing way more diverse characters being played compared to earlier when everyone was either, Scorpion, Ermac, or Raiden.
Good to know. Desyncs are also caused by the other person having any one retro costume. So if you're playing against someone that has one or are searching and paired with someone, it may/will cause a desync.

Sometimes is not automatic, and it's triggered when selecting any alternate costume. My friend tried the TRMK-solution that was posted about redownloading, and it didn't worked; so he went and deleted it again and back to normal. :)

In Mortal Kombat-related news...

j67pH.jpg

Warner Bros. Entertainment is throwing a key party at Comic-Con! The Studio has once again created a set of limited-edition collectible hotel keycards, which will be in use at top hotels throughout the San Diego area during the ’Con. This marks the fourth consecutive year for the popular room key program.

Nearly 40,000 branded room keys will be available to fans at 36 participating hotels, courtesy of Warner Bros. Worldwide Television Marketing.

For Comic-Con 2011, Warner Bros. has created all-new keycards for five of the Studio’s series, video games and home entertainment releases, including:

- The upcoming new Warner Bros. Television series Alcatraz and Person of Interest

- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group’s DVD release of Smallville: The Complete Series

- The original live-action new media series Mortal Kombat: Legacy, from Warner Premiere and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution

- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment’s The Lord of the Rings: War in the North video game, with instructions on how fans can register to experience a special event at 8 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, at 5th Avenue and J Street in the heart of San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter

- Alcatraz: Executive producers J.J. Abrams (Super 8, Fringe) and Elizabeth Sarnoff (Lost) deliver a chilling new midseason drama for FOX revolving around America’s most infamous prison, the one-time home to the nation’s worst murderers, rapists, kidnappers, thieves and arsonists. The series stars Sarah Jones (Sons of Anarchy), Jorge Garcia (Lost) and Sam Neill (Jurassic Park). Alcatraz will debut in midseason, airing Mondays 9/8c on FOX.

- Person of Interest: Jim Caviezel (The Thin Red Line), Michael Emerson (Lost) and Taraji P. Henson (Hustle & Flow) team up in this crime action-drama from The Dark Knight’s Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions (Super 8, Fringe). Set in New York City, with all of its multifaceted elements of justice (cops, criminals, corruption), this procedural centers on an ex-CIA agent, presumed dead, who partners with a mysterious billionaire to prevent violent crimes. The series will air Thursdays at 9/8c on CBS this fall.

- Smallville: Warner Bros. Television’s hit series Smallville recently concluded its 10th and final season on The CW, but fans can soon have all 218 episodes — plus five hours of newly added special features, including an all-new 90-minute retrospective — in their collection as Warner Home Video releases Smallville: The Complete Series on DVD this fall.

- Mortal Kombat: Legacy: This original live-action new media series from Warner Premiere and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution is directed by Kevin Tancharoen (Fame); stars Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Voyager) as Sonya Blade, Michael Jai White (The Dark Knight) as Major Jackson “Jax” Briggs and Darren Shahlavi (300) as Kano; is based on the video game Mortal Kombat, created by Ed Boon; and takes gamers deep into the history of the warriors they know and love. Mortal Kombat: Legacy can be viewed on Machinima.com and will be available for download via iTunes, Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network starting July 18.

- The Lord of the Rings: War in the North: This is an intense, Action RPG video game for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC with an original story based on the renowned works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Up to three gamers can play together or perish as they form their own fellowship to defeat Sauron’s forces in the North of Middle-earth. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment invites Comic-Con fans to a special event at 8 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, at 5th Avenue and J Street in the heart of San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter. Fans can experience Middle-earth like never before and play the new The Lord of the Rings game months before its official release. Beginning on Wednesday, July 20, fans can text WITN to 82257 or log on to warinthenorth.com/comic-con for more details about the event.​

sleepykyo

Khezu said:
Yes positive, the one dude who posted about the change specifically says upslash/downslash/x-ray won't work of a slide anymore, not the dash.

Also they do talk about some of her moves in this short Mkast video, mentioning that you can do several moves off the ninja dash.
Sweet.

Now if they would only boost the online to ae level and make Skarlett always playable.

Khezu

sleepykyo said:
Sweet.

Now if they would only boost the online to ae level and make Skarlett always playable.

My guess is there will be a title update sometime after the 4th DLC character hits, with all the data for the characters and costumes. It seems like there trying to avoid wasting the last free title update until they have a bunch of things fixed.

Not sure why they can't just force people to downlaod the compatibility pack in order to play online though, I'm pretty sure I have seen other games do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom