• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

DasRaven said:
Should be hitting PSN tomorrow and XBLM Wednesday along with the Kenshi DLC. We'll likely have the Rain DLC and two more Klassic kostumes by the end of July. They seem to be on a 2 week release schedule.
Tomorrow/tuesday for all consoles actually. ;)

Should be noted tha there are no "klassic packs" per se, but that each compatibility pack/new DLC character will include 2 retro costumes as "incentive". So people technically need to download each new character-data in order to have those retro-costumes "for free".

corkscrewblow said:
Anyone know if Skarlet counts towards the mastery of all fighters trophy?
Nope, only the original roster; none of the DLC characters.

Talking about DLC-characters, added Kenshi's info/bio to the OT:

New Playable Kharacter: Kenshi
Release: July 5, 2011
Price: $4.99 (PSN) / 400 Microsoft Points (XLM)
Kontent: Character model, biography, arcade ladder ending, X-ray move, special moves, 2 Fatalities, 1 Babality, retro costumes for Noob and Smoke*
*Retro costumes will also be free with the "compatibility pack". This compatibility pack is required to play online in order to see other players using Kenshi.

KMMcz.png

Kenshi: Lone Warrior
For years the swordsman Kenshi traveled the world in search of worthy opponents. When a mysterious elderly man named Song offered to show him the location of Sento, an ancient sword worthy of his abilities, Kenshi succumbed to pride. He followed Song to a tomb wherein lay the Well of Souls.

When Kenshi retrieved the sword, spirits of ancient warriors spewed forth, blinding him. Song then revealed himself to be Shang Tsung. He consumed the souls, leaving Kenshi in the dark labyrinth to die. But Sento called to Kenshi. It led him out of the tomb and revealed his lost heritage as a descendant of the warriors who had been buried there. Kenshi vowed to slay Shang Tsung and free the souls of his ancestors.

Fatality #1: Up, Down, Up, Down, Block (Sweep Distance)
Fatality #2: Back, Forward, Down, Forward, Back Punch (Jump Distance)
Babality: Down, Back, Down, Front Punch (Jump Distance)
Stage Fatality: Down, Forward, Down, Front Kick (Close)​

Like with Skarlet, it should be up at around 5AM (PST?) in Xbox 360 (in around 7 hours); and in the respective PS-Store region updates (i.e. whenever Grace Chen updates the US store, etc... :p ..usually after 5PM in the US)

Still have to add the rest of the fatalities for the rest of the characters; but there has been a lot of things going on (personal things :p) lately; so I'll see. :/

Khezu

That is pretty awesome, shame its using the klassic MK layout, I know its kinda blasphemy to have a MK cab with out it, but its just awkward to use for 9, a normal SF layout works so much better.

fernoca

Khezu said:
That is pretty awesome, shame its using the klassic MK layout, I know its kinda blasphemy to have a MK cab with out it, but its just awkward to use for 9, a normal SF layout works so much better.
Keep in mind that, the classic layout is also the official layout for their official sticks in the new game; which he used ("The machine uses an xbox 360, parts from 2 pdp limited edition controls (for template and pcb's").

Nori Chan

DasRaven said:
Should be hitting PSN tomorrow and XBLM Wednesday along with the Kenshi DLC. We'll likely have the Rain DLC and two more Klassic kostumes by the end of July. They seem to be on a 2 week release schedule.
I meant 2nd klassic pack as in the 5 costumes :p

I just assumed since they kinda gave a hint in the noob-smoke trailer.

Does anybody know if you can still find the Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition for PS3 anywhere? I missed it, because I don't think it had a European release, so I'm searching high and low for somewhere to import it from.

Unless any kind GAFfers have a spare that they want to sell me for a substantial mark-up......

vixlar

Oooh, the deception... when I unlocked the alt for Mileena and is not the bandage costume from Story. And I want also "human" Kabal, before it gets burned. I like his SWAT costume.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mr. Wizard (Dood who runs EVO) just tweeted this:
Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain, and all other dlc for Mortal Kombat will not be allowed at EVO.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
mjc said:
Is Kenshi not up yet on XBL? The fuck?

The Sony Monkey has kidnapped the XBL Monkey and is holding him ransom.

Other stuff that was supposed to pop on XBL today isn't up either. Only the deal of the week page has been refreshed.

W Hudson

Well from going on TRMK and Test Your Might looks like Kenshi is out for PSN but not yet on XBL. Leaving work here in about an hour and a half hopefully he is up by then.......

Would love to hear some impressions in the mean time from any PS3 users here.

Khezu

Something neat, it looks like if you select noob saibots mk2 outfit with the start button, his clone is replaced with a MK2 smoke.

Azuran

Banned
Kenshi is awesome. I do get the feeling people are gonna spam his flurry special.

Compared to Skarlet, he's a lot more simple to use. I already found a bunch of 30% combos by myself. He also has a great wakeup attack from what I can tell.

fernoca

Yeah, Kenshi will appear tomorrow instead of today on Xbox Live. Guess the 4th of July weekend hit Microsoft hard.. :p

Considering the clusterfuck that happened last week on Xbox Live were they locked out of content people from Puerto Rico and Guam (US region) and Isle of Man, Jersey Island (UK region); most importantly the newest Black Ops map...guess they're probably testing some new things over there.

Recently, someone explained that there were some changes with the region-locks and the IPs; which is why stuff like Netflix Streaming was finally available last week on Puerto Rico (prior to that, we had to pay the same monthly fee, but no streaming, only rentals). The weird thing is that Netflix now works on Xbox 360, but the friends that tried on PS3 said it didn't worked. The Black Ops maps worked too last week). So we'll see.

It's always amusing seeing people whining at Ed Boon as if he decided to delay Kenshi on Xbox Live on purpose. :p

corkscrewblow said:
so did they patch the desync issues like they said they would this week?
Not yet. They only said that the patch would be released this week; but no specific date. Could be later today, tomorrow..friday...

Kenshi-artwork

aaE8Z.jpg

Bqlbg.jpg

PpYVB.jpg

RmM6N.jpg

(Possible spoilers?)
q0vks.jpg

GUEZ3.jpg

fernoca

TheSixthaxis posted some nice impressions about Kenshi:

Visually, Kenshi bares some similarities to Noob Saibot. His telekinesis attacks will appear on screen much like Noob’s shadows. It’s a pretty neat looking effect. Outside of that, their attacks aren’t that similar. Oddly enough, he’s the only character in the game that doesn’t have a proper projectile, although does he makes up for it in a few ways.

For instance, Kenshi’s sword can reflect any fireball and it will shoot right back at the opponent in the same angle that it came in. So if you’re fighting against someone like Sindel, a character that can do air, standing, and ground fireballs, this will be a useful technique as it can potentially shut down some of her zoning game. At the very least, a Sindel user will need to always be on the lookout for this move.​

More at the link posted above.

Oh!
And Kenshi in baby-form (spoiler alert!! :p)

Ugh.

Really hate that the compatibility packs aren't mandatory.

I'm trying to play Kenshi, but I keep getting matches where I can't pick him and have to back out and take the loss. (Which is stupid that you get a loss when you leave the select screen, but I digress).

Mileena

Banned
Slamtastic said:
Ugh.

Really hate that the compatibility packs aren't mandatory.

I'm trying to play Kenshi, but I keep getting matches where I can't pick him and have to back out and take the loss. (Which is stupid that you get a loss when you leave tt he select screen, but I digress).
Blame the peasants with 360 arcades. Though, I have no idea why they don't make them mandatory on PS3. Really stupid, but that's what I've come to expect of NRS.

sleepykyo

corkscrewblow said:
Blame the peasants with 360 arcades. Though, I have no idea why they don't make them mandatory on PS3. Really stupid, but that's what I've come to expect of NRS.

Between the lag, desyncs and plain inability to select Skarlett, I can't say I'm interested in picking up Kenshi (well outside of the whole no projectile thing).

clockpunk

He's live on the UK Live Marketplace - and is a welcome addition to the roster! If only the character select screen had a better implementation for the additional characters - and get rid of that redundant 2nd Cyber Sub image that was Kratos on the PS3 version.

He seems pretty accessible, and those fatalities are fantastic!

I'm still having the issue where Cyrax's human costume has disappeared from my game =/. Has anyone else seen this issue?

edit: I'll have to go and verify whether or not I unlocked Cyrax's costume. Could've sworn I did but maybe I didn't.

corkscrewblow said:
Even with a 360 arcade, theres more than enough space on there for MK DLC.

VariantX

infinityBCRT said:
Even with a 360 arcade, theres more than enough space on there for MK DLC.

That's assuming that the owner of the 360 arcade has few games and those games are have relatively small sized DLC and patches.

Frankfurt

Banned
NRS has the worst programmers out of all fighting game companies, by far. They have no idea what they're doing. Every DLC creates new issues, it's hilarious. Kenshi is making the loading screen freeze, or take four times longer than any character, or just desynching audio from graphics before the round starts. Other characters have no issues. What a piece of shit.

Frankfurt said:
NRS has the worst programmers out of all fighting game companies, by far. They have no idea what they're doing. Every DLC creates new issues, it's hilarious. Kenshi is making the loading screen freeze, or take four times longer than any character, or just desynching audio from graphics before the round starts. Other characters have no issues. What a piece of shit.
I think the issue is that the DLC system for current gen consoles is not ready for the stuff that NRS is trying to do. Theres 15 DLC packs out right now -- 7 pre-order/KE bonus skins, 1 klassic skins pack, the season pass & 2 DLC Characters (each with 3 different versions: regular dlc, season pass dlc, compatibility pack dlc) -- and that makes a lot of different combinations of DLC that could be mixed and matched together.

Part of the problem is that they can't do bundles and they can't do auto downloads and/or auto updates of bad DLC. If they could, then they could ensure that everyone had the same DLC files and the only difference would be that some people would get certain DLC skins/characters enabled and others wouldn't.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Bought Skarlet and Kenshi at last, will try them out later but I must say I'm pretty hyped for the latter.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah this game would be a lot better if it didn't feel like the online was cobbled together with dental floss and scotch tape.

Kinda hoping they do like, an Ultimate Mortal Kombat with all the DLC included that fixes a bunch of problems and stuff.

fernoca

zoner said:
Striker's flashlight works on Kenshi. Broken game is broken
Well, many blind people can perceive/feel the light and Striker's flashlight is quite powerful too; I mean he can even get nearly 7" tall creatures down on their knees.. :p

Anyway, really liked Kenshi. My favorite so far out of the 2 DLC characters. No problems with him of glitches, not loading, etc...yet.

His ending, like Skarlet's have more animations than the endings of the main roster which is nice. His ending also ties with
his original cannon, with him joining Jax/Sonya's Outer World Investigation Agency

The retro costumes for Smoke and Noob look nice; love the MKII mask on them.
Like with Skarlet, the size on Xbox is bigger than on PS3 (84MB on Xbox 360).

Updated his info with the fatalities/babality.

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah this game would be a lot better if it didn't feel like the online was cobbled together with dental floss and scotch tape.

Kinda hoping they do like, an Ultimate Mortal Kombat with all the DLC included that fixes a bunch of problems and stuff.

Oh yeah, everyone would be thrilled with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom