• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

A ultimate mortal kombat 9 would be a great thing IMO.

The game at its core is really good, but its very rough around the edges, and has a few design decisions that are just really strange.
I don't want to have to wait 2+ years for the next MK, and there is a lot of evidence pointing to the next game not even being in the fighting genre, so that could take even more time.

Plus I have this horrible fear based on what I have heard of the past 3D mk games that they might just randomly change everything for there next fighting game, I like the way this one plays and want them to stick very close to it, I kinda don't trust them make a sequel worthy of this game.

I would prefer them to just stick with this for as long as possible, fix everything they can with patches and add as much DLC content as they can, but a UMK9 would be preferred, just take the game as it is now and polish for like 6 more months, add in a bunch of extra random content for regular people, like costumes, more challenges, a few characters, and maybe some extra story chapters for the DLC characters.

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah this game would be a lot better if it didn't feel like the online was cobbled together with dental floss and scotch tape.

Kinda hoping they do like, an Ultimate Mortal Kombat with all the DLC included that fixes a bunch of problems and stuff.

I know MK fans like to get "higher than thou" with Capcom and iterations, but I just wasted 15 bucks on characters I can't use online because of this compatibility pack nonsense.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Khezu said:
A ultimate mortal kombat 9 would be a great thing IMO.

The game at its core is really good, but its very rough around the edges, and has a few design decisions that are just really strange.
I don't want to have to wait 2+ years for the next MK, and there is a lot of evidence pointing to the next game not even being in the fighting genre, so that could take even more time.

Plus I have this horrible fear based on what I have heard of the past 3D mk games that they might just randomly change everything for there next fighting game, I like the way this one plays and want them to stick very close to it, I kinda don't trust them make a sequel worthy of this game.

I would prefer them to just stick with this for as long as possible, fix everything they can with patches and add as much DLC content as they can, but a UMK9 would be preferred, just take the game as it is now and polish for like 6 more months, add in a bunch of extra random content for regular people, like costumes, more challenges, a few characters, and maybe some extra story chapters for the DLC characters.

As I understand it, Boon knew what he had to do in order to "fix" Mortal Kombat but Midway didn't want to make "just" a 2D fighting game. You know, 3D games are COOL so people want everything 3D and they have to run around the whole level and stuff!

Given that WB seems to have funded Boon precisely to reboot MK as a serious game for both fans of fun stuff (gore) and hardcore gameplay (fighting game fans), I don't think anyone would force the game to be entirely different for an update or sequel. Boon sure as hell knows what people actually want from MK.

I would be moderately confident that the series is in good hands now. MK9 being a great success gives Netherrealm some clout in the matter, I would think.

Kai Dracon

I forgot to add; what I think would be a good direction for the series is to follow MK9's structure... have a nice story mode that adheres to a "canonical" narrative where anyone can live, die, or return from the dead, but keep a classic arcade ladder or challenge mode where everyone also has their own personal storyline and ending. That way nobody has to be forced to play "Zombie Liu Kang" just because in the dramatic story events he died, and they never have to remove or fundamentally change characters because of the primary storyline.

If you think about it MK9 has twice as much story content as any other fighting game, since there is both a canon story and arcade style story for the whole cast.

Mileena

Banned
I'd be down for a UMK9 if the jump was as big as MK3 -> UMK3. The problem is, they'd need to add a bunch of new characters aside from the DLC, and a lot of the characters after MK4 are pretty garbage. I would rather have MK vs. KoF ^_^

Kai Dracon

corkscrewblow said:
I'd be down for a UMK9 if the jump was as big as MK3 -> UMK3. The problem is, they'd need to add a bunch of new characters aside from the DLC, and a lot of the characters after MK4 are pretty garbage. I would rather have MK vs. KoF ^_^

Given that history has "changed" after the end of MK9, perhaps they won't try to force in every character from games after the classic trilogy. Skarlet, after all, is technically a new character.

I would expect to see more completely new creations.

Khezu

New characters would be awesome, but looking through the MK wiki, I think there are several characters who are salvageable, and a bunch that are not, like black liu kang, who is supposedly in MK4, that was the only 3D game I played, but for the life of me I can't remember this dude.

Frost could be a faster nimble sub-zero, with weaker ice attacks, a lot of people complain about sub being super slow in this game, and frost could help with that.

Boraicho who I really want, I always try to play as fat guys in fighting games, all they have to do is play up the drunken fist style, and remove the sillyness, like this puking and gas attacks, just make him kinda like Liu kang, but wobbly, and his fireballs can come from his mouth after he took a swig of alcohol. Maybe give him a couple command throws.

Reiko, make him a playable and balanced shao khan, since they don't seem to want to make bosses playable, this would be a good work around.

Sareena, uh I don't know what to do with her, skarlet kinda took her thing, but I just like the way she looks.

Havik, they could do some cool thing with his combo strings involving his broken bones, like ripping his arm off and hitting you with it, lots of people seemed to like this guy, and he is a neat concept.

Fujin, li mei, and tanya could also be good, well not really tayna but I can see her getting in just because she's boons sister.
I think NRS has done a really good job on a lot of the characters in 9(sans the womans clothing) and they made me like a lot of characters I never cared for, so I have some faith they can turn around some of these lamer characters.

fernoca

Black Liu Kang was/is Kai. :p
That's one character I liked and really liked his redesign in Armageddon with the cornrows and the beard.

His movesets and specials are different too, with diagonal and air/ground fireballs. Him like that along a defined fighting style would be cool.

But yeah, many of the characters in the post MK3 games can be "saved"; as long as they put as much care as they did with the original roster in the latest game. Some nice redesign, balance and making each unique..it could work. What made many of this characters uninteresting was the identity crisis that these prior games had, the multiple fighting styles, weapons, specials.

Like having Kobra focused on his kickboxing style and no projectiles, or Mavado centered around his "elastic rope/hook" weapon; etc. would be cool.

EDIT:
Kai (Armageddon pic)
E7vGR.jpg

<3! Cornrows + beard! XD

All the way to challenge 300, by skipping a few of the more harder ones of course (and ones that made me too frustrated)

FUCK THE THREE OF THOSE ESPECIALLY!

They really expect me to complete those three without at least having some, or all, of my health be restored?!

Kai Dracon

Kenshi has got to be one of the easiest if not the easiest characters to go fucknuts juggling with. Not complaining, he's a blast to play.

When I realized his TK flurry had infinite range and would manifest wherever the opponent is, it seems like his replacement for a projectile. It looks like a cheesy way to wear someone down at first but you can't do it on reaction against a lot of projectiles. He'll be hit out of it and it will stop before doing full damage.

I noticed several of his basic standing attacks automatically knock someone down but away from him at TK shoulder ram range.

I think his xray is pretty sinister from a tactical perspective since the sword throw is so quick and hard to see after the initial swipe upward. It's deceptive.

Overall, he feels really unique and as if he's designed to bust up the typical playstyle that most characters don't stray too far from. He reminds me a bit of Makoto in Street Fighter, in principle at least.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Noriega said:
I'll never forget the 201 challenge.

Fuck Sindel

Fuck Sindel in general. Worst opponent, AI-wise, in the whole game.

FIREBALL FIREBALL FIREBALL AIR FIREBALL LOW FIREBALL FIREBALL

I HATE YOU. PLEASE DIE.

Did a quick run through Arcade with Kenshi to see what he could do. As I did with Skarlet, I was on media blackout for him so had no idea what his moves were like. Have to say I'm really impressed with the DLC characters so far. They really feel fully fleshed out and not some half-assed quick hash character to cash in. Kenshi has a nice move set and seems like a fairly good juggle character. He does good damage and has one of the strongest X-rays in the game. I love his fatalities, amongst my favorite in this game. Even his baby form was full of win. Story fit with what was created in the other games. Haven't checked out the two alternate costumes yet, but I've been wanting a different one for Smoke since the game came out so should be a welcome addition.

Next is the character I've wanted the most, Rain! I hope they announce the official date he comes out soon and I'm really encouraged by how he'll turn out after seeing how well crafted Skarlett and Kenshi are :)

fernoca

Well, TRMK reported that during the recent X-Play; Ed Boon talked about 2 possible DLC characters been released "in the future": Shinnok and a "Goro like character".

GrayFoxPL

fernoca said:
Well, TRMK reported that during the recent X-Play; Ed Boon talked about 2 possible DLC characters been released "in the future": Shinnok and a "Goro like character".

What? Forth shokan? Fucking stupid. Or did he mean boss character?

I vote Onaga.

fernoca said:
I don't think they should use Shinnok, he's the Story mode boss for the next one and should be left unplayable like Shao Kahn. I really hope the Goro like comment refers to Motaro. Otherwise they could have just said a shokan character. So hopefully it means a mini-boss character and with Goro and Kintaro off the market for playables, Motaro is the guy. Especially since he's in this game and part of the MK 1-3 arc.

Khezu

I'd like a 4th shokan as long as it was a proper grappler, sheeva and jax with there blockable command grabs don't really cut it.
And if its a new character they won't have to force in legacy moves, so it can be a true slower character with no projectile and telestomp.

I would also like shinnok, but only if he is just like MK4 shinnok, a lame work around for shang tsung.

KombatNetwork

Neo Member
The Kombat Network MK9 stream of The Valley Stream Monsters at The Gamers Edge just went live!

justin.tv/kombatnetwork

We have some top players here tonight.
REO
Dark Rob
Crazy Dominican
Riu48
Scoot MaGee
Hitoshura
Maxter
Crazy Dominican Jr.

Ok W.T.F?! How in the do I get sindel to run into my ice clone in the challenge tower??? Most of the fucking time I can't even do it. It makes the motion and sound effect, but no clone. Pissing me off.

Nevermind. FUCK sindel.

Is there some sort of unwritten rule of not using X ray moves during online matches? So often I come across folks who just fill their meter all the way and don't do shit with it. Should I feel bad using my X ray?

Khezu

For a lot of characters, combo breakers and EX attacks are more beneficial then X-rays, especially in early rounds.
X-rays are useful, but more for finishing someone off at the end of a match because the damage is unbreakerable.

Mileena

Banned
Jeff Green's Son said:
Is there some sort of unwritten rule of not using X ray moves during online matches? So often I come across folks who just fill their meter all the way and don't do shit with it. Should I feel bad using my X ray?
You should be using it for breaker mostly. At least if you're playing someone good.

djkimothy

Khezu said:
For a lot of characters, combo breakers and EX attacks are more beneficial then X-rays, especially in early rounds.
X-rays are useful, but more for finishing someone off at the end of a match because the damage is unbreakerable.
This. if I'm playing someone good, I use meter only for breakers. when I mean good I mean someone who combos. for the noobs that spam specials, I just use it for enhanced attacks, maybe an X-ray to finish it off. most of the time it's a waste of time though. a lot like fatalities.

vixlar

The problem too, is that to be sure your x-ray connects is to combo it... but that makes your x-ray damage go down. When you see the damage your x-ray do at the end of a long combo is dissapointing.

Characters like Scorpion, that their x-ray attacks are projectile punishers, make a good use of the x-ray, because it makes 100% damage.

Some characters like Liu Kang can still combo after the x-ray, that's cool.

A special case is Johnny Cage, his X-ray is a combo starter.

Khezu

RT @byakuganeye Outstanding job with the dlc so far, please don't mess it up adding Tanya. Cool characters only! Noobde: No you DIDN'T!

RT @Leo__Roberts @noobde I DEMAND that you make Tanya DLC Noobde: Well then it looks like that's what has to be done!

Well, she might not be the 4th DLC character, I really do think she's coming, boon does seem to like her a lot, and she is based on his sister, lets just hope they reinvent her as awesome as they did some of the other characters.

Also

Working on the Blueberry/Lime montage

MK2 Kitana and jade? Mk2 raiden and MK3 sonya? Hmm.

O83P6.jpg

EDIT: I liked his Armageddon look better. He had more of an identity--you could more or less make out what he was intended to be (royalty, or at least he thinks he is). This new look just tells me "purple ninja," but I suppose Mortal Kombat fans like that junk.

Khezu

Rain looks like royalty to me, very purple and regal, very eccentric armor, at least compared to the other ninjas.

Could probably do with out the fingerless gloves though, and give him back his swords.

fernoca

Green Mamba said:
http://i.imgur.com/O83P6.jpg

EDIT: I liked his Armageddon look better. He had more of an identity--you could more or less make out what he was intended to be (royalty, or at least he thinks he is). This new look just tells me "purple ninja," but I suppose Mortal Kombat fans like that junk.
Yeah, based on his alt-look in Armageddon .Though many 'fans" liked the "royalty-look" also; just the usual "where are my ninjas*more ninjas added*why so many ninjas midway?"-kind of people were the ones that complained. :p

Still like him in here, looking good.

Trailer coming July 11, release on July 19...for now. :)

(Slightly) Higher-res:

qblsd.jpg

fernoca

BigFwoosh said:
Are there patch notes anywhere?
The patch supposed to just fix the desync issues; apparently caused by the retro costumes. Nothing else at the moment, guess we'll see.

The last reported one (about fixes/nerf) was on June 21 (official forums link):
V 138S-228-CA8BD927 (Xbox 360) / V 138S-228-0B72802D (PS3) *released 6/21/2011

EDIT:
But my game says the version is (more recent I guess):
0.138S-228-3c49b339

To check the version, you can go to Options, Gameplay and while in there press:
PS3: R2 + RT + Triangle
360: RB + RT + Y

This will reset the gameplay options to the default ones so keep that in mind, but if you go back wihout accepting them the options will go back to the ones you had.

The version number will appear on top of Gameplay Options.

Though I haven't found any notes on that one.

BigFwoosh

I can't even update the damn game. I downloaded the Kenshi compatibility pack, then I downloaded Kenshi, and then I went to update. Now every time I try to update, it says "Please wait" for like 10 seconds and my PS3 reboots itself. Ugh.

fernoca

BigFwoosh said:
I can't even update the damn game. I downloaded the Kenshi compatibility pack, then I downloaded Kenshi, and then I went to update. Now every time I try to update, it says "Please wait" for like 10 seconds and my PS3 reboots itself. Ugh.
That's weird. If you downloaded the compatibility pack, buying Kenshi just overwrites that download (and unlocks him (for use), so if you were planning on buying Kenshi anyway (or any character); there's no need to download the compatibility pack before or after buying the character.

The PSN is apparently going through some maintenance/problems of sorts. A poster of the gaming side says he can't buy things right now and gets an error code. So who knows. :p

Xevren

BigFwoosh said:

That happened a lot with the last patch for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom