• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

Who you guys going to play as first?

I'm going to try
EfrLfl.jpg

Then

7bcTvl.jpg

Then

S3dJfl.jpg

Or Mileena.

GrayFoxPL

TreIII said:
I dunno. To me, the very notion of this game was to win back those fans who basically were disgruntled by the last decade's worth of lacking MK games. Notice how the only game from that period that pretty much everybody can agree on as being good is Shaolin Monks; a game that a) was a bad-ass brawler and b) revisited the more familiar and beloved MK1-2 time-frame and its characters.

In many ways, this game is doing the same thing. They can perhaps do for more interesting things next game, but I think it should go without saying that if they wanted to capture the interest of those who haven't played a MK game since like 1996, this "throw-back" was definitely the right move.

Besides, if anything, characters with random connections to established cast-mates out of nowhere, was one thing I disliked about the various characters introduced in MK4 and beyond. "Hey! Here's this black guy who happens to be a fellow White Lotus member! And here's this female Lin Kuei member who has the same powers as Sub Zero!" Etc., etc.

Nah, man. If anything, I think the likes of Kenshi and Fujin are more proper ways of introducing new characters. People that are free to interact with the various other characters, but still have their own backdrops that stand to be more than just "Hey, here's this best friend/brother/cousin/fangirl nobody knew we had until now!" thing.

Yeah, I don't really want to take away from "classic mk2 homage" of MK9, but I like seeing new, unknown faces here and there. It's funny but 2 new characters per sequel seems like a steel rule nowadays in fg.

I don't agree exactly on the random connections of the characters. Every character has some connection to another, right? Kenshi is another special forces member from Sonya, Jax team. Fujin is Raiden's buddy that apparently got screwed over by sneeky old thunderdude. "Hey I was supposed to take your place. Why am I not in the sequels".
I don't see much difference between them and other characters "importance" wise. It's just some characters design and story seems better and is more interesting for most.
I personaly hate designs of Darrius, Frost, but I also don't think Kenshi is all that clever either. He's whole thing is about his blindness. If he wasn't he'd be as generic as others.

Khezu

I want to play as smoke and
human cyrax
first.
I will eventually get around to everyone though, I have no idea who I will gravitate to.

Khezu

crimzonflame said:
What's the shoryuken.com equivalent for Mortal Kombat?

There are a lot of MK sites, test your might is the least horrible, it has some mostly competitive dudes, but its not very active ATM, I assume it will be a lot more popular when the game is out.

They all have horrible website design stuck in the 90's though.

Khezu

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
I thought
Human Cyrax
was story mode only? If not definitely needs to be unlocked. Smoke is unlocked from the beginning.

In the most recent video of human cyrax it shows him using the same fighting style as robo cyrax, even his grenade punch, and his x-ray, where he used a smoke bomb to teleport, they even have the same idle stance, it would be ridiculous for him to not be cyrax's alt costume if there going through that much trouble for only like 4 fights in the story mode.

Irish

Is there anyone else thinking about tackling all of the singleplayer content outside of the Krypt before hopping online?

I think I'm going to run through Story Mode, do the challenge tower, and then go through everyone's arcade ladders (left to right, top to bottom) before I even think about jumping into the online space.

TreIII

GrayFoxPL said:
I don't agree exactly on the random connections of the characters. Every character has some connection to another, right? Kenshi is another special forces member from Sonya, Jax team. Fujin is Raiden's buddy that apparently got screwed over by sneeky old thunderdude. "Hey I was supposed to take your place. Why am I not in the sequels".

To me, the difference is how some of those characters, like Kenshi and Fujin were introduced. Before he got inducted as another member for the Special Forces, he was an adventurer who got tricked by ol boy Tsung. As a result of those events, and some training by Ermac, he's now basically a psycho-powered Zatoichi. Fujin, meanwhile, is the God of the Wind (who technically was first introduced in Sub Zero Mythos, along with the likes of Quan Chi, Shinnok and Sareena). Could have had a lot of potential, if they actually followed through with him being the successor and not put him on a bus. :lol

If they're going to pop out more chars of this sort, at least be some what imaginative, is all I ask. Mavado, Dairou, hell, even the likes of Bo Rai Cho (as much as I hate him, personally) have a bit more going for them that could be used to interesting ends. So I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing them again.

G-Fex said:

Reptile, Shang Tsung and
Cyber Sub-Zero
, ideally in that order.

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
I thought
Human Cyrax
was story mode only? If not definitely needs to be unlocked. Smoke is unlocked from the beginning.

It's confirmed to be an alt. Possibly have to be unlocked, but it's not a different character.

Khezu said:
In the most recent video of human cyrax it shows him using the same fighting style as robo cyrax, even his grenade punch, and his x-ray, where he used a smoke bomb to teleport, they even have the same idle stance, it would be ridiculous for him to not be cyrax's alt costume if there going through that much trouble for only like 4 fights in the story mode.

True dat.

Is anyone going for a tournament edition but havent pre-ordered it yet?

If so, where are you going to try to score one at? Best Buy is still showing availability but only for shipping to home. Will I have any luck trying to score one on launch day in store?

GrayFoxPL

G-Fex said:

Or Mileena.
Here you go:

ydV.jpg

She was pretty cute in the movie.

I'll be going with this guy:
Ulc.jpg

This guy:
tcV.jpg

and this party pooper if he was in. Maybe as an alt at least?
kXr.jpg

Also Kung Lao, Raiden, Striker, Noob Saibot, Jade and the rest.

GhostBlade

Neo Member
I am going to start with Ermac more than likely, but I will also be doing all the offline content first. MK has always been about unlocking stuff and discovering goodies for me.

Irish said:
Is there anyone else thinking about tackling all of the singleplayer content outside of the Krypt before hopping online?

I think I'm going to run through Story Mode, do the challenge tower, and then go through everyone's arcade ladders (left to right, top to bottom) before I even think about jumping into the online space.

Probably do online first to rack up as many free wins as I can. Wait too long before going online and everyone becomes god tier.

diamondstar said:
Is anyone going for a tournament edition but havent pre-ordered it yet?

If so, where are you going to try to score one at? Best Buy is still showing availability but only for shipping to home. Will I have any luck trying to score one on launch day in store?

If you want to preorder online Fry's website was the only place that still had them when I checked yesterday. Best Buy is sold out.

I ordered my KE from Amazon, and then I broke down and ordered the TE from Walmart when everywhere else was out of stock lol

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=mortal+kombat&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&cat=0

Dan Forden just posted a blog entry about the audio for MK

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...ng-cinematic-audio-and-the-origins-of-toasty/

It also includes two audio tracks and the origins of 'Toasty'

A lot of people ask me about where “Toasty” came from. Before we worked on Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon developed the arcade football games High Impact and Super High Impact. We used to play these a lot and, as the offense and defense approached the line of scrimmage, I’d say something like “You’re toast!”, which turned into “I predict Toasty!”, delivered in high operatic falsetto. Another developer there, George Petro, suggested we put some of our silly taunts into our games as Easter Eggs. Ed decided to go ahead and try it in Mortal Kombat II, so we did, and the rest is history… or something…

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm glad they have kept the exploding body parts to a minimum in these fatalities (so far from what we've seen). Many of the fatalities in the previous 3D Mortal Kombats were starting to look the same and were pretty lame.

GrayFoxPL

Absoludacrous said:
Probably do online first to rack up as many free wins as I can. Wait too long before going online and everyone becomes god tier.

This. We must hurry before people gain knowledge on the block button.

*spams Stryker's gun*
*receives hate msgs*
*proclaims himself a god on gaf*
*retires*

Deadly Monk said:
Got my copy, just finished installing!

Impressions in a few hours! I'm doing story mode first.
Do you have to "install" PS3 version or do you mean you're installing it on 360 so it loads faster?

GrayFoxPL

Deadly Monk said:
Got my copy, just finished installing!

Impressions in a few hours! I'm doing story mode first.

How???

*grinds teeth*

PS3 version? How big is the install?

Please use spoiler tags on the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom