• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
notworksafe said:
Hm just realized that the 4 characters who have gotten klassic costumes are all on the same row in the character select screen.

Here's hoping for the Sonya/Jax/Kano/Stryker row to be next!

Eh, Jax, Kano, and Stryker are all fine.

The only non-ninjas in need of classic costumes are Sonya, Raiden, and Kabal.

Khezu

Kano has to much hair for my liking.

Though I don't really care if he gets a classic or not, hes the only character in the game that I don't enjoy playing as, even baraka is more fun.

Fantasmo

Alright guys, I need help!!!

I'm getting completely smashed lately and I have no clue what to do about it :(

My main difficulties are fighting against good Quan Chi, Kitana, and Johnny Cage players.

The problem with fighting either of them is their long nasty nasty combos. If you mess up once you eat a LOT of damage and I'm talking a lot! One mistake against Kitana and you get 30-40%, whether it's jumping backwards and landing on ONE fan or trying a wakeup and eating jumping punch pressure.

One wrong block against against Quan Chi and you eat a long combo with trance and he can get life back easily. Teleports and weird combos that start low or high and ALWAYS followed by trance. Not knowing if the stomp is going to be close to me or far, making it difficult to uppercut punish consistently.

Johnny Cage puts so much pressure with his mixups, his flip kick is practically invincible making combos tough, his EX Shadow kick is super powerful and you can't duck it, and he's so fast that you can't even wakeup attack sometimes. What causes this by the way?

I have several mains:

Nightwolf
Kung Lao
Kano
Liu Kang
Sub Zero
Stryker
Smoke (only enough to get by)
Baraka (only enough to get by)

although I dabble with pretty much everyone so I'll learn a new character if I have to.

If you have any good tactics for beating them please let me know. Avoiding combos, keeping them away, baiting, combos, strategies.. write an in depth document if you have to, lol anything would help.

Above all thanks in advance!!!!!

DasRaven

junkster said:
Alright guys, I need help!!!

I'm getting completely smashed lately and I have no clue what to do about it :(

My main difficulties are fighting against good Quan Chi, Kitana, and Johnny Cage players.

I have several mains:

Nightwolf
Kung Lao
Kano
Liu Kang
Sub Zero
Stryker
Smoke (only enough to get by)
Baraka (only enough to get by)

IMO, there's the problem right there. It takes serious dedication to learn match ups for 6-8 "mains."
You'd be better off choosing a real main character and a situational alternate main for your real main's really bad match ups.
Then you'll play more matches with your main character and learn how they overcome the difficulties you're having with a few characters.
If it turns out that one of those difficulties is a really tough to overcome, then train that fight with your alternate who may have better tools.

Fantasmo

DasRaven said:
IMO, there's the problem right there. It takes serious dedication to learn match ups for 6-8 "mains."
You'd be better off choosing a real main character and a situational alternate main for your real main's really bad match ups.
Then you'll play more matches with your main character and learn how they overcome the difficulties you're having with a few characters.
If it turns out that one of those difficulties is a really tough to overcome, then train that fight with your alternate who may have better tools.

I've played over 1000 matches online. It's not the problem. The reason I have several mains is to not have issues with counter characters. This way I can counter.. the counter character picking.

I have a 3:1 win/lose ratio and not because I seek out scrubs, rather I enjoy playing people with similar records.

After 1000 matches, you start can maintain the ins and outs of SEVERAL characters without being overstressed.

Please realize I am looking for tips and solutions to the problems I indicated above.

EDIT: If you've noticed, I've indicated very specific situations/characters that I have a problem with, and that there may be a player on these boards who has specific tactics or useful strategies for fighting these players and identifying ways to break their rhythm.

sleepykyo

junkster said:
The reason I have several mains is to not have issues with counter characters. This way I can counter.. the counter character picking.

I'm terrible so maybe I'm overlooking something but online (especially given MK netcode) counts for something?

Why not use blind select? And generally speaking plenty of players (even the ones that travel on a regular basis for touraments) just go with a main and a single alt for the matchups they really dislike. 5-7 is definite overkill.

With Smoke, you should be able to shake counter (b f + 1) fans on reaction if you really find her fans to be an issue. And Kitana's only overhead is the second part of f + 4 2.

As for Cage, that ex super kick isn't really that great. It's unsafe on block. He takes normal damage so even when he guess right if is only 4% swing in his favor and the knockdown is too far for Cage to set up a safe jump (if it even exists in MK). The bigger threat is giving up the zoning game and allowing Cage to get in for free.

Mileena

Banned

Quan is a joke once you learn to block his mixup strings. He has low/high all day but they're pretty slow and easy to read. His teleport is kinda good, that's about it. He's really shitty other than that ever since the nerf. Just pick Nightwolf against Kitana and Cage. Kitana can't zone Nightwolf and you can zone the shit out of Cage, if he gets in abuse green shoulder to get out. You don't wanna have Cage in your face.

oh and if you're having trouble with Kitana's pokes, it's normal. Her F2, 1 is pretty much unpunishable (or maybe a green shoulder will punish?) I don't really have an issue with Kitana but I main Mileena and rush her down. Kitana's zoning isn't really great and she has no mixup. Just avoid getting hit by the long pokes.

Fantasmo

sleepykyo said:
I'm terrible so maybe I'm overlooking something but online (especially given MK netcode) counts for something?

Why not use blind select? And generally speaking plenty of players (even the ones that travel on a regular basis for touraments) just go with a main and a single alt for the matchups they really dislike. 5-7 is definite overkill.

With Smoke, you should be able to shake counter (b f + 1) fans on reaction if you really find her fans to be an issue. And Kitana's only overhead is the second part of f + 4 2.

As for Cage, that ex super kick isn't really that great. It's unsafe on block. He takes normal damage so even when he guess right if is only 4% swing in his favor and the knockdown is too far for Cage to set up a safe jump (if it even exists in MK). The bigger threat is giving up the zoning game and allowing Cage to get in for free.

The random ground fans don't particularly cause issue. Those I can reflect with Nightwolf or duck with others. I'm actually looking to stop or avoid or pressure Kitana from starting her from doing combos to beginwith.

You only get one combo breaker but you're still in combo range. She has two or three liftup options (fan lift) as well as jumping forward and jumping neutral punch to start combos. The air fans hang you in midair for combo continuation.

What are some techniques to stop Kitana's pressure? Which of her close range moves put her at a frame disadvantage? Which regular moves can I punish and how? How do I get away from her or just break their rhythm or gain an advantage? How do I make a Kitana player sweat?

Thanks for the Cage suggestions!! Question though, how can I punish a regular or EX Shadow Kick on block? Any specific moves/specials or combos with any of those characters? What do you usually attack him with after blocking one?

As for Quan Chi the teleports and long combos with trance just eat me up. I have little understanding of how he works so I don't know how to reverse the pressure.

EDIT: Corkscrewblow thank you as well. What would you do if Kitana or Cage got close to you and you have no EX left with Nightwolf? Or if he/she knocks you down and he/she's close to you?

EDIT2: Sorry about all the questions but none of my friends play MK so I don't have anyone to practice techniques against.

Mileena

Banned
1. BLOCK (seriously)
2. crouching 3 or 4 are usually good and underused pokes. They're fast and will usually beat out block strings and give you room to breathe.
3. use your wakeup attacks. After you get knocked down, and you know they're going to be pressuring you again, use your wakeup. They have invincibility frames.

if you're on PSN, add me. You won't get better from playing (most) randoms. They usually suck really, really bad.

Fantasmo

corkscrewblow said:
1. BLOCK (seriously)
2. crouching 3 or 4 are usually good and underused pokes. They're fast and will usually beat out block strings and give you room to breathe.
3. use your wakeup attacks. After you get knocked down, and you know they're going to be pressuring you again, use your wakeup. They have invincibility frames.

if you're on PSN, add me. You won't get better from playing (most) randoms. They usually suck really, really bad.

Whats your PSN

djkimothy

Against Kitana, you can counter her zoning abilities with smoke since his anti zoning skills are supreme. Adjust accordingly and try to predict patterns of Kitanas combos. I find over aggressive players don't respect the wake up specials, abuse when you can if cage and company constantly rush down when you're down.

As for quan chi, be patient, understand his combo strings and block accordingly. But most important if all, and this is true for all opponents, block and punish his teleports. punish, punish, punish. I can't tress that enough. be smart with the block strings. If you are facing a noob or complacent quan chi, expect the random full screen teleports.

if all else fails. pick raiden, tp, 334, superman or throw. repeat. it literally has changed my game lol. only the true veteranscan counter. if you're too predictable though radian can easily be countered. so mix it up.

Mileena

Banned
junkster said:
Whats your PSN
impact1g

djkimothy said:
if all else fails. pick raiden, tp, 334, superman or throw. repeat. it literally has changed my game lol. only the true veteranscan counter. if you're too predictable though radian can easily be countered. so mix it up.
I somewhat agree. If you really are struggling just pick Raiden. He's the easiest, best character you can pick. You will live and die by the superman.

djkimothy

corkscrewblow said:
impact1g

I somewhat agree. If you really are struggling just pick Raiden. He's the easiest, best character you can pick. You will live and die by the superman.
I have an image on my iPad someone made on testyourmight.com that is basically a comical flowchart of raiden. I'd post it but I'm in the uk at the moment and didn't bring the pad. I'll see I I can link it later. it's so stupid but so true at the same time lol.

Anyone else have lag problems with the PS3 version? I think it got a little more crappier as soon as the patch released. It did fix the synching problems though.

djkimothy

Shadowlink said:
Anyone else have lag problems with the PS3 version? I think it got a little more crappier as soon as the patch released. It did fix the synching problems though.
lol. I can't test it but sounds typical.

Khezu

Super round house and mind control ball making sense finally? Awesome.

Also, there are 3 blood stains under where it says new kombatants coming this summer, hopefully that means more coming sooner then later.

VariantX

Rain looks exactly as i would imagine him brought over from MKT to MK9. Im pleased. Only thing the DLC characters are missing is actual spoken dialog.

vixlar

Wow, I thought Kenshi looked cool, Rain looks superb!!!

And... new Kombatants... plural!!!!

I wonder who the next kombatant will be..

Khezu

Struct09 said:
Rain looks cool, but his moves seem familiar - some from Noob, Sektor, and Reptile.

The noob teleport is actually his throw, it starts from a grabbing animation.

His actual teleport is weird though, I'm not really sure how it works, the normal version starts with him jumping straight up and coming right back down, juggling them, but it doesn't seem to track them, it just gos straight up from his position.
The EX version seen works kinda like sektors teleport uppercut, but you can't combo off of it, it leaves you in a stuck position, its also usable in the air. However, it also shows the weird straight up teleport with an ex glow but works just like the normal version.

Maybe there two different moves?

fernoca

Love Rain..his style is a little flamboyant the way he moves his arms around, really love that. XD

And his classic victory pose!! :)

Khezu said:
No wait, she might break the leg, I honestly can't remember, I don't fight sindel enough.
Yeah, is the leg. :p

GrayFoxPL

Khezu said:
Sindels does.

No wait, she might break the leg, I honestly can't remember, I don't fight sindel enough.

She breaks leg and kicks in the balls/babymaker.

Haha! Can't believe they gave him back the teleport roundhouse and the control ball. So fucking fun.
Rain is the only character that I ever found an infinite all by myself.

He got quite few reused animations and I think he doesn't have his own voice, but will be the first mk dlc character I will buy. Tbh I was not impressed at all with Skarlett and I dislike the redesign of Kenshi. But Rain? Yes. Stolen Teleport uppercut, means Ketchup goes to the side too.

I welcome you Prince Rain!

PURPAAAAAA RAAAAIN PURPAAAA RAAAAIN!!

Btw I would shit my pantsu if they put purple Rain as his ending music or something similar to not get sued. :D

GrayFoxPL

HeresSomeWeapons said:
That was my favorite part of the whole trailer!

Also, the roundhouse. But WAY stoked for the old-school victory pose.

ibRdlo.gif

ibUN3s.gif

ibQ7nu.gif

Damn, I think I'm going to have to cave and watch the video clips before the character comes out this time. It was cool being completely surprised by Skarlett and Kenshi's moves and -alitys but I've wanted Rain since before the game came out. Too hyped by your comments. Alas, I cannot watch it from work and will have to wait until tonight.

Wonder when a Rain VS stance pic will release.

VariantX

so far, totally not regretting purchasing a season pass. The only hiccup is the fact that NRS should have made all those compatability packs mandatory cuz im really tired of getting desynchs like crazy. Or at least separate people who have the new content from those who do not like SSF4AE does. Still, looking forward to new classic costumes and the 4th dlc kharacter.

corkscrewblow said:
360 version still gets desyncs? PS3 best version confirmed
You can fix the 360 desyncs by taking action on the user end, whereas PS3 has a mandatory patch that does it.

And as we've seen with the compatibility pack situation, people can't be trusted to take an action unless it's forced.

Wow, Rain looks better than I thought! He looks very fun to play. Can't wait to see whose costumes come with him, and who the 4th character will be (and beyond)....

GrayFoxPL said:
Shieet. But let's face it, it would've not been done in a million years. Remaking every asset of 3 games? Shit would've been out in 2030.
You sure about that? It only took them a year per game back when they had a really tiny team.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know what I don't get about this game? Hardly anyone plays Kano or Barakka and both are two of the easiest characters to pick up, they're super versatile, and you can get crazy combos with them once you get better.

I guess they're not ninja enough

Khezu

Baraka is actually pretty good now, he was the worst character in the game at launch, but he got several substantial buffs.
He is a little awkward to use, and his projectile is ass, but once he gets in he can tear it up, also has a lot of frame advantage on his main strings, and can use chop chop at the end of everything to make all his stuff safe.

Kano is an A tier character, even with his ball nerfed, its still really good and spamable, he is however the most boring one dimensional character in the game and is not very fun to play.

GrayFoxPL

Gave in and bought Kenshi. Yep, he's good.

Baraka's not shit. Super damaging projectile and blade thrust is as good if not better then shadow kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom