• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

35% is about average for most of the cast, smoke does pretty high damage, along with characters like sektor, cyrax, scorpion, sonya and kitana.

The characters people find to be the best in the game tend to have around 30%ish combos, KL, raiden, kabal, NW, sub-zero, reptile.

It may seem like KL got picked on and raped with the amount of nerfs he got, but he was a crazy character per nerfs, he should have never gotten into the game like that.

sleepykyo

Gr1mLock said:
Ill give you the design argument but not the damage. He needed a bar to do over 35 in his bnb. I got over 40 with smoke with no bar fairly easily. i dont really mind nerfs but that list seems like it should be for a cast of characters instead of one.

He does ~30 meterless and has a multitude of ways to hit 25+. eg. AA spin, teleport, lp strings, rp strings (and he has a fast rp too), off of a low (which very few cast members can claim).

Outside of the spin nerf, nothing really changes the way Kung Lao players have to play. Kung Lao is still an extremely versatile character with moderate damage output.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
I tried going back, quite a bit of pages to see if this was answered, but anyone have any sites/resources/links to check out combos...sorry.. *****S for MK9?

Tried getting nasty with Scorpion last night, but what I saw another, Scorpion do to me, cannot be unseen.

Must learn.

fernoca said:
Remember that in order to check which version you have, you have to to go Options, Gameplay Options and press: RB+RT+Y on Xbox 360 or R1+R2+Triangle on PS3.
I don't know why they don't just put a version number on the splash screen.

djkimothy

ihasaflavour said:
I tried going back, quite a bit of pages to see if this was answered, but anyone have any sites/resources/links to check out combos...sorry.. *****S for MK9?

Tried getting nasty with Scorpion last night, but what I saw another, Scorpion do to me, cannot be unseen.

Must learn.

Testyourmiht.com is a good place to start. Or scope yout YouTube for player specific tips.

GrayFoxPL

If they'd stripped Kung Lao of his special moves, disabled blocking and cut one of his legs he'd still be mid top tier. He's Kung Lao!

Sonia is very strong, I figured out a 40% combo really easy, without xray and I know you can get 45%. But Sub matchup sucks.

I can't get Liu Kang to work. He's kinda not good. If you block low you're basically safe from Kang.

Twinduct

I love this game. I really do!
Hell, this is the first game that made me order an arcade stick for it!
I love the DLC approach, sure it might unbalance the game abit, but if they brought out 10 more characters + arenas, I'll buy them day one!
I love everything about this, except I don't play online, again my choice on that one and I much prefer to have local MP.

But you know what I hate about this game? The fucking bullshit random fucking shield/ ignore breaking they put up on Shao Khan and the sub boss.

Everyday I wake up thinking, Today is the day I finally beat the non-tag ladder on hard. Every fucking day. And every fucking day I spend 8 minutes getting to the first sub-boss. I try for a full fucking hour to beat him, without cheesing any moves. Well fuck you, we want you to eddie gordo this POS boss. Welcome to Shao khan bitch! Guess what time it is? Bullshit shield time my friend.

Fuck this game so much, fuck that choice. I do not want to be forced to fucking cheese my way through the end. I did not spend a few fucking hours figuring out the fucking combos and learn how to connect any advance shit together, only to have to constantly do the same fucking range attack, so I can neglect the retarded shield.

So close to just snapping the disc and moving in my life ... yet tomorrow I will wake up, with the same lopsided optimism, damn you ed boon .. DAMN YOU!

GrayFoxPL

Twinduct said:
I love this game. I really do!
Hell, this is the first game that made me order an arcade stick for it!
I love the DLC approach, sure it might unbalance the game abit, but if they brought out 10 more characters + arenas, I'll buy them day one!
I love everything about this, except I don't play online, again my choice on that one and I much prefer to have local MP.

But you know what I hate about this game? The fucking bullshit random fucking shield/ ignore breaking they put up on Shao Khan and the sub boss.

Everyday I wake up thinking, Today is the day I finally beat the non-tag ladder on hard. Every fucking day. And every fucking day I spend 8 minutes getting to the first sub-boss. I try for a full fucking hour to beat him, without cheesing any moves. Well fuck you, we want you to eddie gordo this POS boss. Welcome to Shao khan bitch! Guess what time it is? Bullshit shield time my friend.

Fuck this game so much, fuck that choice. I do not want to be forced to fucking cheese my way through the end. I did not spend a few fucking hours figuring out the fucking combos and learn how to connect any advance shit together, only to have to constantly do the same fucking range attack, so I can neglect the retarded shield.

So close to just snapping the disc and moving in my life ... yet tomorrow I will wake up, with the same lopsided optimism, damn you ed boon .. DAMN YOU!

Lol, why so many people can't figure it out? Don't attack him from the front. He's vulnerable from the back so jump over him.

Twinduct

In all honesty though, it's much easier said than done. Unless he did his lunge or hammer throw, then he'll just lunge backwards. In fact, earlier (before ranting) when I was playing I tried this and every time I got behind him (unless he's doing his taunt) he would just do his shoulder dash thing.

I think I'm just annoyed with the way the game handles the AI patterns. Most of the time it just spams certain attacks. It's really gutting winning against goro or monotoro because he kept doing the stomp (which is avoidable).

I'll go try out with a char that has some warp ability. Only been playing with Sub and Stryker TBH

fernoca

Was going to post this a few days ago, but had no confirmation. But since MKOnline.org confirmed it:

Blueberry and Lime are...
MKII costumes for Kitana and Jade.

This 2 costumes will be included for free in Rain's compatibility pack (and the "paid package"). Like with every character so far; if you just want the costumes; download the free compatibility pack. If you want the costumes and the character, buy/download the character.

fernoca said:
Was going to post this a few days ago, but had no confirmation. But since MKOnline.org confirmed it:

This 2 costumes will be included for free in Rain's compatibility pack (and the "paid package"). Like with every character so far; if you just want the costumes; download the free compatibility pack. If you want the costumes and the character, buy/download the character.
I wanted MK3 stryker :(

notworksafe

Slamtastic said:
Not being a dick to the people online who want to use Rain against you.
No interest in playing as or against Rain. Of course you suggest playing online as if that was desirable or possible with the shit code that NRS uses.

GrayFoxPL

notworksafe said:
No interest in playing as or against Rain. Of course you suggest playing online as if that was desirable or possible with the shit code that NRS uses.

Wut? Shit plays really good online. I like the low input lag, juggles work nicely and you can block on reaction.

notworksafe

I find it unplayable compared to offline play. Unfortunately, my setup is such that I am forced to use wireless and that greatly affects performance.

Luckily the scene here is big enough for fighting games that I can get local games almost whenever I want them. Yes, I know most people don't live in an area like this. I just find online play in most games despicable and I'm glad I'm not forced to use it to get matches.

fernoca

The costumes seem interesting (in the sense of not showing cleavage/boobs :p), plus they were teased months ago when the text-leak showed the "female ninjas" with MKII alt-costumes.

What I'm interested on seeing is the hairstyle that they might have. Wonder if they'll have Mileena's (regular costume) hair since that it closer to their in-game look back then; or closer to the original artwork of MKII which had them with longer hair. Though they didn't modeled hair well in the game, so if anything I hope is "Mileena hair". :p

GrayFoxPL

notworksafe said:
I find it unplayable compared to offline play. Unfortunately, my setup is such that I am forced to use wireless and that greatly affects performance.

Luckily the scene here is big enough for fighting games that I can get local games almost whenever I want them. Yes, I know most people don't live in an area like this. I just find online play in most games despicable and I'm glad I'm not forced to use it to get matches.

I see. Well, you're lucky. Input lag in older online mk games was like 5 times worse then in mk9, now it feels like a dream. Offline and online can't be comparable for various reasons. Best thing in real life opponents aren't so eager to act like utter dicks.
Do people rage quit offline? ;)

notworksafe

GrayFoxPL said:
Do people rage quit offline? ;)
I've been known to do an IRL rage quit or two when I get really salty. :p

And yeah, my situation is unique (and very nice) for sure but it has spoiled me. However, I do like the Arcana Heart 3 and Blazblue online systems. I don't have as many offline matches to compare them to, but their netplay is extremely solid. ASW should license it out!

GrayFoxPL

notworksafe said:
I've been known to do an IRL rage quit or two when I get really salty. :p

And yeah, my situation is unique (and very nice) for sure but it has spoiled me. However, I do like the Arcana Heart 3 and Blazblue online systems. I don't have as many offline matches to compare them to, but their netplay is extremely solid. ASW should license it out!

I think they're just starting to rework ggpo to run on 3d games. Capcom will do sfxt ggpo, I think namco did it with dragon ball game. Earlier only 2d games run with a ggpo or netcode similar to it. Maybe in 2 years all online fighting games will run like blazblue, but to be honest I think the bizarre business deals won't allow it.
It's like Sega and awful Backbone ports - everyone hates them but Sega still hires them to do everything.

Did you ever get into a fight over a fg match?

Mileena

Banned
fernoca said:

What a joke.

notworksafe

GrayFoxPL said:
I think they're just starting to rework ggpo to run on 3d games. Capcom will do sfxt ggpo, I think namco did it with dragon ball game. Earlier only 2d games run with a ggpo or netcode similar to it. Maybe in 2 years all online fighting games will run like blazblue, but to be honest I think the bizarre business deals won't allow it.
It's like Sega and awful Backbone ports - everyone hates them but Sega still hires them to do everything.

Did you ever get into a fight over a fg match?
Yeah, GGPO has always tough to use because it has such a huge RAM requirement and current consoles are sorely lacking on the memory front. Glad to hear that companies are finding a way to use it now though.

And no never been in a fight about a game. Usually I'll just hit start and go right to character select and skip a ultra/hyper/fatality/etc. At the last tourney here I got annoyed enough that right after I lost I pulled my USB and had to go cool off for a minute.

It's funny because I'm normally a very relaxed dude but fighting games can bring up that salt like nothing else.

Khezu

Mileena and skarlet >>>>> kitana and jade.

BLeh, can't wait to see them though, MK2 outfits are way better then the MK3 ones.
Sonya needs her classic already though, I hate her main, sarah connor alt isn't bad, but id rather be rocking the green tights.

GrayFoxPL

notworksafe said:
Yeah, GGPO has always tough to use because it has such a huge RAM requirement and current consoles are sorely lacking on the memory front. Glad to hear that companies are finding a way to use it now though.

And no never been in a fight about a game. Usually I'll just hit start and go right to character select and skip a ultra/hyper/fatality/etc. At the last tourney here I got annoyed enough that right after I lost I pulled my USB and had to go cool off for a minute.

It's funny because I'm normally a very relaxed dude but fighting games can bring up that salt like nothing else.

Yeah fighting games are my fav genre, almost like an obsession so sometimes I take it too seriously also.

Khezu said:
Mileena and skarlet >>>>> kitana and jade.

BLeh, can't wait to see them though, MK2 outfits are way better then the MK3 ones.
Sonya needs her classic already though, I hate her main, sarah connor alt isn't bad, but id rather be rocking the green tights.

Why you no like cleavage?
The mk2 outfits are basically 1 part swim suits for very prudent women.

fernoca

corkscrewblow said:
What a joke.
Is still free, so no biggie. XD
It may not be the 2 costumes many expected/wanted; though there are 2 more free costumes coming...which might be ninjas too :p .

We'll see.

Khezu

Why you no like cleavage?
The mk2 outfits are basically 1 part swim suits for very prudent women.

MK2 is by far my favorite MK game, not including this one, nostalgia overrides common sense.

Though mostly I like the hair being down and the headband.
Really interested to see how well it translates to 3D, the UMK3 outfits look great, better then some of there mains.

Mileena

Banned
fernoca said:
Is still free, so no biggie. XD
It may not be the 2 costumes many expected/wanted; though there are 2 more free costumes coming...which might be ninjas too :p .

We'll see.
They're just being lazy. I literally never play Sonya or Stryker but I wish they got their classics. They'd be major upgrades from their current ones. But of course, NRS takes the cheapo way out. Doubt I'll download the compatibility pack.

corkscrewblow said:
They're just being lazy. I literally never play Sonya or Stryker but I wish they got their classics. They'd be major upgrades from their current ones. But of course, NRS takes the cheapo way out. Doubt I'll download the compatibility pack.
I don't really see how anyone could have a problem with Stryker or Sonya's main outfit.

When it comes to costumes, I'm most concerned about the DLC characters (And Cyber Sub) not having alternates at all.

notworksafe

This:
vYWdel.jpg

is inferior to this:
j2CxN.png

And very inferior to this:
GOH7k.jpg

fernoca

notworksafe sucks and I don't approve his ideas. :p

Though I rather get classic-short lycra (MKI) Johnny Cage or tall/tanned (MK3) Johnny Cage. <3! ... :p

GrayFoxPL

fernoca said:
notworksafe sucks and I don't approve his ideas. :p

Though I rather get classic-short lycra (MKI) Johnny Cage or tall/tanned (MK3) Johnny Cage. <3! ... :p

MK3 Johnny Cage?

My wish would be MK4 Cage
iciEgi.gif

MK4 Liu Kang - Look at this badass!
iciiim.gif

DA Scorpion
icmDti.jpg

and
Unmasked Sub-Zero
icncSG.png

Khezu

I thought it would be cooler for stryker to have a taunt that switched his hat, but MK is like the only fighting game in existence that doesn't have taunts. I guess you could kinda count the midround wining animations as taunts, but eh.

sleepykyo

Khezu said:
I thought it would be cooler for stryker to have a taunt that switched his hat, but MK is like the only fighting game in existence that doesn't have taunts. I guess you could kinda count the midround wining animations as taunts, but eh.
But that would require extra animations and they're already reusing animations as is. Might as well give up on assigning Juri´s hip shake taunt to Sonya or Cody taking a nap to Stryker.

Khezu

Ya I guess fatalitys, but I still would love proper taunts, or even just do the mini win animations on command, a lot of those are really cool, like kenshis.

Also I decide to watch the rain trailer again and looked it up on youtube, but it was slightly different from the original one, the stage rain did his win animation on was changed from the rooftops to the courtyard, wonder why.
rain88.jpg

MK2 Kitana and Jade?

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

But free, so I won't complain anymore.

Slamtastic said:
The coolest SZ has ever looked.
Yup. The best. Dirty Harry Sub-Zero > every Sub-Zero ever. Especially Shredder Sub-Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom