• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
GrayFoxPL said:
Tell me more. Can you stand on middle of the screen and super roundhouse, jab, super roundhouse, jab, ect.?

We poor euro psners gotta wait till late tomorrow.
He's got a crazy amount of moves, but his damage is absolutely piddly

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
GrayFoxPL said:
Wut? Kenshi got troll damage for a 3hit combos and Rain got the shitnitz?
I think Rain is supposed to be a big combo character. And he's got tools for every single situation, so they had to make him weak in some way.

Also, you can put Shao Khan and Goro in the control sphere and it's HILARIOUS

GrayFoxPL

zoner said:
I think Rain is supposed to be a big combo character. And he's got tools for every single situation, so they had to make him weak in some way.

Also, you can put Shao Khan and Goro in the control sphere and it's HILARIOUS

Lol, can't wait!

DRE Fei

Rain_ng said:
360 or PSN?

GrayFoxPL said:
Tell me more. Can you stand on middle of the screen and super roundhouse, jab, super roundhouse, jab, ect.?

We poor euro psners gotta wait till late tomorrow.
Super roundhouse doesn't seem fast enough in this game to connect after any chain combos. Best launcher seems to be lightning (down, back+2) which cancels easily from something like his 1,2 string. It launches really high and allows you to connect super roundhouse in the combo there. That's the best use I've found for it so far. I'm doing stuff like: 1,2, lightning, then super roundhouse into 3,3, b,f,1.

GrayFoxPL

DRE Fei said:

Super roundhouse doesn't seem fast enough in this game to connect after any chain combos. Best launcher seems to be lightning (down, back+2) which cancels easily from something like his 1,2 string. It launches really high and allows you to connect super roundhouse in the combo there. That's the best use I've found for it so far.

Hmm...interesting. Wonder if there are any yt vids yet.

Edit: Yep youtube is soaked.

DRE Fei

Interesting mixups too. He has the b+2,3 chain (high, low) and he can mix with b+2,1+2 which is a good overhead launcher on the second hit.

b+2, 1+2, forward dash, 1,1 d,b+2(lightning), d,b+4(super kick), 4,3, b,f+1(aqua spash) = 32%

GrayFoxPL

DRE Fei said:
Interesting mixups too. He has the b+2,3 chain (high, low) and he can mix with b+2,1+2 which is a good overhead launcher on the second hit.

b+2, 1+2, forward dash, 1,1 d,b+2(lightning), d,b+4(super kick), 4,3, b,f+1(aqua spash) = 32%

I'm reading the combo and each section going: "Cool, cool, cool, cool...(32%) What the fuck?!

That's something like 9 hits right? 9hits and only 32%?

DRE Fei

GrayFoxPL said:
I'm reading the combo and each section going: "Cool, cool, cool, cool...(32%) What the fuck?!

That's something like 9 hits right? 9hits and only 32%?
Yeah, not exactly high damage but keep in mind that's with no meter. He seems like more of a zoner than a high combo damage character to me this early in the game. The good thing is, lightning automatically tracks people. You can launch someone with it from full screen and immediately catch them with water bubble (d,f+3) and then direct them towards you for a combo. Also, his teleport has very short recovery just like Raiden's.

GrayFoxPL

DRE Fei said:
Yeah, not exactly high damage but keep in mind that's with no meter. He seems like more of a zoner than a high combo damage character to me this early in the game. The good thing is, lightning automatically tracks people. You can launch someone with it from full screen and immediately catch them with water bubble (d,f+3) and then direct them towards you for a combo. Also, his teleport has very short recovery just like Raiden's.

Hmm, maybe that's balance.

Kung Lao laughs.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
_dementia said:
Is that true? I was hoping Kenshi would be a beast.
I mean build wise. Skarlet's probably the skinniest character. Kenshi's smaller than guys like Johnny Cage, and Rain is far thinner than Scorpion or Sub Zero

sleepykyo

zoner said:
I mean build wise. Skarlet's probably the skinniest character. Kenshi's smaller than guys like Johnny Cage, and Rain is far thinner than Scorpion or Sub Zero

Never noticed it, but I guess you're right. Just went to training and looked at Skarlett v. Kitana and Kenshi v. Kung Lao. In both cases the dlc characters have thinner arms. Oh and Kitana has thick thighs.

Nori Chan

Rain has this power up move.

It disables blocking, but increases damage output. I went into practice and did the ex power boost, and then an xray, and it did 45%.

Of course it's impossible to do that though lol :p

Mileena

Banned
uhhh... 56% midscreen with only 1 bar? LOL at the people saying his damage is low.

57% midscreen Xray

e: oh it's with damage boost nvm. It's probably gonna be really hard to get off without getting hit ala Quan. Still 41% with no damage boost and 1 bar is really good.

Khezu

His damage boost is kinda crazy, well the ex version anyway, can add up to like 20% to some combos.

Not sure what kinda use it will be though, when its active you can't block.

Been training with Rain for about 20 minutes and he is a sick combo character. He may have low damage output but his combos are insane and has tools for every situation.

DRE Fei

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Anyone find rain's stage fatality yet? Let me check the op...
Rain:
Fatality 1 - B,F,D,B,Block (Jump)
Fatality 2 - U,D,B,F,2 (Jump)
Stage Fatality - F,D,F,4 (Close)
Babality - B,D,F,1 (Jump)

I think the key to rain is the ex damage boost. So powerful.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So uh, anyone ever notice Sektor's MK3 costume being...glitchy in the match intros? Sometimes his belt flap...thing (what the hell do you even call those? All the MK ninjas have them...) will go crazy and like, clip up all the way through his head. Or sometimes it will be on the wrong side of his body, or not be there at all until the match starts.

Really weird.

Seraphis Cain said:
So uh, anyone ever notice Sektor's MK3 costume being...glitchy in the match intros? Sometimes his belt flap...thing (what the hell do you even call those? All the MK ninjas have them...) will go crazy and like, clip up all the way through his head. Or sometimes it will be on the wrong side of his body, or not be there at all until the match starts.

Really weird.
All flowing cloth and hair in this game do things like that.

unreal-real-engine.jpg

fernoca

Was kinda busy the yesterday and today ..even forgot that it was Tuesday already, so downloading Rain right now! XD

Thanks for posting his fatalities DRE Fei. ;D

EDIT:
Darn, love Rain!
So nice and really cool moves. Really like that you can see the rest of his face when his veil moves around (or is torn/damaged). :)

fernoca

In MK it seems they were more focused on other things; more than hair. The overall game still looks darn nice and runs at 60 frames per second. Alice, which Frankfurt mentioned does have some great hair; but at moments the game doesn't look as..nice as the rest of the game does.

Like with..well, any engine. It depends on the artists, programmers...the ones working on the game, rather than the engine.

Same way Dyack was pissed off because Too Human wasn't looking and running as good as Gears of War 2; even when he was relatively new to the engine.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
MK only really has two objects that require collision detection and real time physics for cloth and hair.

I assume all the backgrounds can use precalc animations for characters, smoke, and stuff?

Only a few background objects are directly interactive to player actions, like the monks whose heads track the player characters. Everything else is a scripted scene playing on loop...

Rain is fun, but his mixup options seem really limited. He seems similar to Smoke to me in this regard; a combo machine once he gets started, but getting started is a whole other manner.

But the ability to cancel his Super Kick is just nuts.

sleepykyo

Green Mamba said:
Rain is fun, but his mixup options seem really limited. He seems similar to Smoke to me in this regard; a combo machine once he gets started, but getting started is a whole other manner.

But the ability to cancel his Super Kick is just nuts.
Does the pose part of the super kick have any special properties?

fernoca

Rain artwork

67OZv.jpg

9kZu8.jpg

nZBmH.jpg

YjG8j.jpg

KTfRg.jpg

*Ending spoilers*

LAAhr.jpg

vcgjL.jpg

Seems they were planning at some point on making him to look like he was made out of water. Liked the one with long hair and showing some skin. :p :D

fernoca

And details of tomorrow's Comic-Con tournament:

Mortal Kombat has been a massive hit this year, and the hits keep on coming: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment is inviting fans to get their Mortal Kombat fix at San Diego ComicCon 2011!

First, the acclaimed Mortal Kombat Legacy series will lead off with a signing at the Warner Bros. Booth (#4545). Fans can come and get autographs and pictures with stars from the series as well as Mortal Kombat co-creator and NetherRealm Studios Creative Director Ed Boon on Thursday, July 21 from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. This will be followed by a “Warner Premiere Digital Series” panel at the Hilton Bayfront – Indigo Room (Thursday, July 21 from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.) where the ninth and final installment of Mortal Kombat Legacy will be world-premiered. During the panel, Ed Boon will make a guest appearance to reveal the identity of the unannounced and much speculated fourth DLC character for Mortal Kombat!

Finally, Mortal Kombat fans will get an exclusive first chance to play with this new warrior before he is available on XBLA or PSN. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment is inviting gamers to come to the GameStop near the convention center on Thursday, July 21 from 7:00-10:00 p.m. to get some hands-on time with the latest kombatant alongside Ed Boon and participate in a tournament for some great prizes. Here are the details:

Mortal Kombat GameStop Event – San Diego ComicCon 2011

Timing: 7:00 – 10:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 21
Address: 530 Horton Plaza, San Diego, CA 92101

Directions from the Convention Center:

1) Head down 1st Street
2) Turn Right on West G St
3) Turn left on 3rd St (enter Horton Plaza)
4) Event is on Level 5 near Macy’s and GameStop​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom