• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slamtastic said:
But I want MK 3 Cyber Sub, MK2/3 Skarlet, MK9/3 Cyber Smoke, MK 1/2/3 Rain.

Oh and regular alts for Cyber Sub and the DLC characters.

And MK1 Raiden. And MK3 Sonya.

So basically what I'm saying is shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

I think NRS is avoiding releasing costumes that didn't exist. MK2 Skarlet might happen because thats the game with the rumoured glitch (just as MK1 Ermac happened) but I don't think they'll do the other ones like MK3 Cyber Sub & MK1/2 Rain.

fernoca

Slamtastic said:
But I want MK 3 Cyber Sub, MK2/3 Skarlet, MK9/3 Cyber Smoke, MK 1/2/3 Rain.

Oh and regular alts for Cyber Sub and the DLC characters.

And MK1 Raiden. And MK3 Sonya.

So basically what I'm saying is shutupandtakemymoney.jpg
Well, there's always Klassic Skins Pack #3...for $9.99. :p

infinityBCRT said:
Sell 2 more Kostume packs and call it a day. I'd be very happy with that.

I definitely would want MK3 Rain, would be so awesome to see him using the classic win pose with the MK3 costume.
That too. I do wonder why they just decided to not give alt costumes to any character on the DLC slot (except Kratos).

Khezu

I would love UMK3 masked and unmasked for all the ninjas, flaming skull scorpion, and w/e the hell ermac is, long haired rain, I can do with out unmasked smoke and reptile though.

Actually the unmasked sub kinda reminds me of his mk4 alt.
Sub22.gif

Khezu said:
I would love UMK3 masked and unmasked for all the ninjas, flaming skull scorpion, and w/e the hell ermac is, long haired rain, I can do with out unmasked smoke and reptile though.
Shut your whore mouth!

Unicorn

Game is new for $37 at Target until Saturday.

Had a $20 gift card from like 7 years ago, so the game only cost me around 20 bucks, then used some of my $100+ Gamestop credit and bought $40 worth of PSN cards and bought the 3 characters for MK.

So far, Skarlett is the easiest to use. Rain just isn't button mash friendly, so I'll look over his movelist tomorrow.

I really hope the DLC isn't over. I want some nicely crafted outfit DLC (classic stuff seems low-res.) Also, there's some characters I wouldn't mind brought back. Sareena should come back, since she's pre MK canon-wise. I always liked her design. It's a HELL of a lot better than Quan Chi.

Nori Chan

fernoca said:
Yeah, looks nice! :)

So yep, guess Klassic Skins Pack #2 featuring:
-MKII Mileena
-MKII Scorpion
-MKII Sub-Zero
-MKII Reptile
-MK3 Scorpion
-MK3 Reptile
-MK3 Ermac
-MK3 Noob
-MK3 Human Smoke

For $4.99
:p
Has this been confirmed? :O

Khezu

I think I would have liked a masked UMK3 alt for sub-zero, and a unmasked UMK3 alt for cyber-zero, but he just throws the bombs like human cyrax, and the normal freeze animation. This way I could play as both brothers in tag with out one of them being a lame robot.

Tesseract

Banned
there's no way in hell i'm buying another costume pack when the first one still doesn't work online. and yes i've reset and re-downloaded everything multiple times.

compatability packs being optional is stupid.

/cry *plays mk9*

Tesseract said:
there's no way in hell i'm buying another costume pack when the first one still doesn't work online. and yes i've reset and re-downloaded everything multiple times.

compatability packs being optional is stupid.

/cry *plays mk9*
Hm? MK9 on Xbox Live works fine for me with all the costumes nowadays. Even ranked games are working now.

I think everyone is mistaken by saying you have to "Download Again". A few years ago MS made a change to the dashboard where it stopped actually downloading a file again if you already had it. I think you need to delete and download again.

Also, as far as I know the problem actually stems from the pre-order/ke costumes and not the klassic pack. If you have the klassic pack, just delete your pre-order/ke costumes and you don't need to redownload them since you have the whole pack. That should fix the issue.

But hopefully NRS eventually releases a 360 patch which gets rid of the issue altogether. I really really hope they haven't stopped patching the game. MS really needs to have a status for "e-sport" games where they don't punish developers for patching the game multiple times.

Unicorn

_dementia said:
Great outfit, great experience.
My thoughts, exactly.

Also, I wish more alt costumes came with different animations. If robo smoke is true, I hope he animates a couple moves differently. Small things like that, really add to the content.

Unicorn said:
My thoughts, exactly.

Also, I wish more alt costumes came with different animations. If robo smoke is true, I hope he animates a couple moves differently. Small things like that, really add to the content.
Different animations = Different gameplay = One costume might be better than the other and the other would never get used.

See Human Cyrax lacking the bomb trap prior to it's removal.

Or MK3 Cyrax having it back in again.

fernoca

Noriega said:
Has this been confirmed? :O
Nope, me just playing around on what a possible Pack #2 may include. :p

Legacy's season finale (episode 9 Cyrax & Sektor) can be seen early on Gamespot. It contains part of the Comic-Con panel. It will be available on YouTube.com/Machinima this sunday.

Overall awesome episode, with nice action and the CG looks quite nice.

PSBlog interview regarding the DLC characters

You’ve seen the video. Now read what compelled Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon to bring 80s horror icon Freddy Kruger to Mortal Kombat as a downloadable guest character this August. In discussing the news with the PlayStation.Blog, Boon shed light on the long, sometimes tangled genesis of Mortal’s Kombat’s other DLC characters — namely Rain, Skarlet, and Kenshi. One began as a joke, one was an incorrect rumor, and one…well, you’ll see.

Look for Freddy to hit PSN on August 9th for $4.99, and read on for my full chat with Ed Boon.

PlayStation.Blog: So what is the inspiration for bringing Freddy Krueger to Mortal Kombat as a DLC character?
Ed Boon, Creative Director, Netherrealm Studios: It was a number of things. It’s kind of hard to choose a character who would fit well into the Mortal Kombat universe, with the blood and violence that’s so associated with it. Kratos from God of War is a brutal, bloody character, so he makes sense. When we had the discussions about the DLC characters, we knew that we wanted to add a returning character, a new character, but also a guest character. That was one of the goals right from the beginning. A number of names were run by us: Jason, Michael Meyers and all those guys. Freddy Kreuger, we felt, was the most instantly recognizable and he fits in with Mortal Kombat with his claws. It just seemed like the best fit.

PSB: Did you base Freddy off the 80s films or the reboot movie from a few years back?
Well…that’s a good question. We didn’t try to make him look like the actor Robert Englund, I don’t even know if we would be allowed to….Admittedly, I didn’t see the latest movie, the remake. But obviously the first few movies were huge — they left an undeniable mark on pop culture. When I look at him, I think of the original Freddy: he’s got the striped sweater and is instantly recognizable. He’s Freddy in general, we don’t really identify him as one version or another.

PSB: Freddy isn’t exactly a martial artist. How does he keep up with the kombatants?
[laughs] He doesn’t fight like a martial artist, either! We gave him two claws, which we explain in his character bio, so you can almost imagine a Baraka with shorter blades that are always out. He’s got lots of swipes, he can send his claws creepy-crawling on the ground or flying through the air. He can dig into the ground and the claws will come up under his opponent. He’s very claw-centric.

PSB: Will Freddy’s ability to invade his victims’ dreams play into his Mortal Kombat incarnation in any way?
Yeah, you’ll see some of that. His story ending really plays into that. In the middle of a fight, you won’t see him entering a guy’s head in a dream sequence or anything, but there is plenty of dream-related stuff in his introduction animation, his victory stance, his fatalities and so forth.

PSB: Ten, 15 years ago when Mortal Kombat was early in its lifespan, did you ever fantasize about getting Freddy Krueger into MK?
Yeah, yeah. Over the years, we’ve certainly had a number of conversations about guest characters. At one point, we had a conversation about having a group — imagine Freddy, Jason, Michael Meyers, Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre — of all these killers from the 80s and 90s flicks come in as a group of characters. We never got a grip on how we would do it, whether they’d be DLC characters or what. But yes, we’ve had lots of conversations over the years. We also wanted to introduce a character who was unexpected. This DLC thing opens the doors to realizing these ideas. Kratos was one we discussed as a DLC character a number of times, but luckily we could include him as the initial cast of characters [in the PS3 version]. With Freddy, we felt like the stars had aligned — it was time to do it.

PSB: What is your process for choosing DLC characters? Why did you begin with Kenshi, who was the only character from the Deadly Alliance games to make the jump?
I’ve personally always big a big fan of Kenshi, as were many of the guys on the MK team. So we gravitated to Kenshi. We always knew we’d add Rain right from the beginning. I was bombarded for weeks on Twitter with fans begging for Rain, so I had a little fun with it. Each DLC character, I believe, satisfies a certain group of our audience that we knew was clamoring for it.

PSB: Speaking of Rain, he was originally hinted at in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. What was the genesis of Rain?
Rain was me being a jerk, basically. [laughs] When we were working on Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, I was thinking “what ninja color have we not done yet?” … and I’m a huge Prince fan, so I was thinking Purple Rain. I was probably still listening to the album. There was no time to actually make a character, because the game was done. So I hacked into the attract screen a quick little sequence of this purple ninja running at Shao Kahn. We didn’t even have the word “Rain” in the powerbar, so I manually built it using our font. So I included this quick glimpse just to drive people crazy. Once Mortal Kombat Trilogy came out, we gave Rain new moves and he finally became a real character. Later we brought him back for Mortal Kombat Armageddon. That’s one of the things about Mortal Kombat: many of the characters have these goofy development histories. Noob Saibot, Reptile…all of these odd origin stories.

PSB: What about Skarlet? She was a rumored secret character from MKII, right?
She was a completely rumored character. She never existed, she was born out of a rumor. It got such legs that a name actually came out of it; there was never a glitch that turned Kitana red, that never existed. That was just an urban legend like Animalities and Ermac — a rumor that we eventually wanted to make true.​

fernoca

GrayFoxPL said:
O fuck, can't believe the other robot is
Hydro the fan made character!

Cool fight.
Actually, he made the debut in the original comics. :p (Pic)
The "fans" just changed his fate to be similar to the rest of the ninjas. ;)

Mileena

Banned
I really hate Cyrax. Before his original bomb trap nerf he was up there with Kung Lao on my "fuck this bullshit character" meter

Unicorn

corkscrewblow said:
I really hate Cyrax. Before his original bomb trap nerf he was up there with Kung Lao on my "fuck this bullshit character" meter
I hate him because he makes Sektor look like shit in terms of combos.

Sektor has always been my favorite of the 'borgs. :c

Anyone on the west coast wanna play ps3? Perhaps be my MK sparring buddy?

I'm rusty as all hell.

Unicorn

corkscrewblow said:
Always down to play with GAFers but I'm in FL unforunately
eHO3x.gif
aww lame. I tried online on PS3, but there was some pretty bad lag. More input lag it seemed, but x-ray seemed to drop to like 15 fps. Was only one match I played though.

GrayFoxPL

Unicorn said:
aww lame. I tried online on PS3, but there was some pretty bad lag. More input lag it seemed, but x-ray seemed to drop to like 15 fps. Was only one match I played though.

Lol play more then one, like 300.

Unicorn

GrayFoxPL said:
Lol play more then one, like 300.
Yeah, I'm not writing off online. I just had time for 1 match earlier. Ran some errands for my girlfriend and on the way home stopped at gamestop to see if I could waste some of my in-store credit.

When I traded in all my 360 games the person behind the counter mentioned a buy 2 get one free deal once I activated the gamestop card. I just did that, and I have like 4,000 Rewards points, but no email and nothing on the website mentioning a B2G1F deal. Anyone know?

Also, does charging Rain's super roundhouse do anything special?

Fuck NRS if if they make Robot Smoke a costume instead of a DLC character. Fuck them in the ass!! The only character from MK3 not to be in this game.

The only thing that MK9 retconned from the original story was to take away my favorite character and switch it with someone nobody wanted (CSZ). I don't care if he's not in the official story - it's DLC! We have Freddy Kreuger and Kratos for crying out loud.

Mr. E. Yis said:
Fuck NRS if if they make Robot Smoke a costume instead of a DLC character. Fuck them in the ass!! The only character from MK3 not to be in this game.

The only thing that MK9 retconned from the original story was to take away my favorite character and switch it with someone nobody wanted (CSZ). I don't care if he's not in the official story - it's DLC! We have Freddy Kreuger and Kratos for crying out loud.
You do remember that Robot Smoke was nothing but a clone of Scorpion, right?

fernoca

Mr. E. Yis said:
I don't know if I'm reading it wrong, but ..it doesn't make sense. :p
It can be a costume; in the same way as Human Cyrax is a costume to Cyrax.

Unless you just want a separate character, with the original moveset like the harpoon and teleport punch. Which is kind of a lame reason to "fuck them". :p

Slamtastic said:
You do remember that Robot Smoke was nothing but a clone of Scorpion, right?
You're thinking of Human Smoke. Robot Smoke had Scorpion's spear and air throw, Sektor's teleport punch, and Reptile's invisibility. The combination made him very fun to play. Actually I don't care if they replace some of his moves as long as they bring him back.

fernoca said:
I don't know if I'm reading it wrong, but ..it doesn't make sense. :p
It can be a costume; in the same way as Human Cyrax is a costume to Cyrax.

Unless you just want a separate character, with the original moveset like the harpoon and teleport punch. Which is kind of a lame reason to "fuck them". :p
That's exactly what I said- I want him as a separate DLC character. And it's not some lame reason- he's the only character from MK3/UMK3 to not be in it, and was definitely more original than the human smoke.

Unicorn

There's just something about the MK2 Smoke skin that just makes it look really good. I'm tempted to buy the retro costume pack now, remembering how much I want a human Reptile.

Also, I LOVE the MK3 Cyrax and Sektor. The two skins I wanted the most.

fernoca

Mr. E. Yis said:
That's exactly what I said- I want him as a separate DLC character. And it's not some lame reason- he's the only character from MK3/UMK3 to not be in it, and was definitely more original than the human smoke.
Yeah, but is just that..well, no matter what they're not going to please everyone. They changed his moveset, to make him more.."unique" and now it turns out that they should make an entire character around the original moves and all; heck the Hidden Fights are there but no cyber-Smoke; still a nice touch.

And some wonder "why do they keep adding more ninjas". :p

Just relax and heck, there's always the next game. Unlike the original cannon, the Cyber-Lin Kuei continues to exist post MK3-events; so who knows if after the end of this story they took Smoke and turned him into a cyborg. XD

I wonder if we're going to see anymore patches or if Microsoft's TCR bullshit prevents them from doing anymore. Or I wonder if NRS has just resigned themselves to fixing everything in UMK9.

infinityBCRT said:
I wonder if we're going to see anymore patches or if Microsoft's TCR bullshit prevents them from doing anymore. Or I wonder if NRS has just resigned themselves to fixing everything in UMK9.

On TYM Paulo said the plan is for a patch after Freddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom