• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lerozz

Kweh said:
Gah, everything is leaking and it's ever increasinlgly more hard to not click links to fatalities etc.

Praying for an early release in the UK :(

So far it seems like in Europe only the austrian version got an early release. UK would be grand as I am here for another couple of days. Come on, Game or HMV or whatever ... :/

Flipyap

evilromero said:
After watching the first Legacy episode I'm pretty disappointed. I have to hand it to Paul Anderson for actually making a decent movie out of the game. It must be a lot harder than it looks cause I think the Legacy ep just doesn't hold up to the original film. I guess I'm commenting more on how Anderson had to make the movie a little nonsensical so it would look cool and come off more as a game than a movie. Legacy is too much slow motion, overly dramatic music and pretty lame fighting. Though it's not bad, it just doesn't give me the vibe of the games like Anderson's vision did. Also, I think they miscast Sonya. She looks WAY too old here. I do think they nailed Jax. But I miss Kano from the first film.
You're comparing a 10 minute episode made for viewing on youtube to your nostalgic memory of a big nerd event motion picture.
If you want to keep those memories, do not attempt to watch that movie ever again. Extreme amounts of camp and goofiness are the only things that make it still kind-of-sort-of watchable. I really regret watching the Scorpion fight a few days ago. It sure looked EPIC in my mind.

ScOULaris

Flipyap said:
You're comparing a 10 minute episode made for viewing on youtube to your nostalgic memory of a big nerd event motion picture.
If you want to keep those memories, do not attempt to watch that movie ever again. Extreme amounts of camp and goofiness are the only things that make it still kind-of-sort-of watchable. I really regret watching the Scorpion fight a few days ago. It sure looked EPIC in my mind.
The Reptile fight in the movie is still Kool to this day. Don't hate.

Flipyap said:
I don't disagree about the camp. In fact even at the time the special effects were pretty bad. But I like the way Anderson situated the film. It somehow worked and I can appreciate his attempt to bring game-ness into the movie. I have watched it recently and I still enjoy it for bringing that feeling of MK I/II into a film world. I just like the frantic tempo and industrial soundtrack over the Hans Zimmer-like one in this series.

shuri

Banned
The first movie had tons of problems during shooting, and at the last moment, way after the movie was edited and done, the studio decided to inject a few millions to fix the special effects as they were bloody awful and to reshoot lots of scenes.

Frankfurt

Banned
The unlock fatality art is absolutelly gorgeous, some of the best art i've ever seen in a fighting game. Why the hell didn't they have this guy paint the versus art?

ScOULaris

Frankfurt said:
The unlock fatality art is absolutelly gorgeous, some of the best art i've ever seen in a fighting game. Why the hell didn't they have this guy paint the versus art?
What do you mean by "unlock fatality" art?

Flipyap

ScOULaris said:
True, the wire-fu parts were pretty Krappy, but I thought the Koreography was Kinda Kool.
The kostume was quite krazy, too. I kan see that they tried to make him look different, but that expression is just ridikulous. Doing the bicykle kikk like that was also a tragik idea.

simtmb

Sigh, i want this game so bad.

Anyone from AUS have any recommendations on good places to import from?
:( I hate this ban so much. One of the few games i was actually looking forward to this year -_-

neorej

ERMYGERD!
evilromero said:
I don't disagree about the camp. In fact even at the time the special effects were pretty bad. But I like the way Anderson situated the film. It somehow worked and I can appreciate his attempt to bring game-ness into the movie. I have watched it recently and I still enjoy it for bringing that feeling of MK I/II into a film world. I just like the frantic tempo and industrial soundtrack over the Hans Zimmer-like one in this series.
I think the biggest positive for both MK-movies is that they don't take themselves so seriously. As opposed to King of Fighters, which was cringe-worthy. Tekken takes itself also sooo serious at times, but at least Tekken works with actual martial artists
and hot babes, sorry Maggie Q, you're just not Mai-material
which are both HUGE plusses.

I'm not tryna start anything but I'm just gonna say... MK's Arcade Ladder endings are infinitely better than MVC3's.

Take notes next time.

I'm still playing MVC3 like mad though

neorej said:
I think the biggest positive for both MK-movies is that they don't take themselves so seriously. As opposed to King of Fighters, which was cringe-worthy. Tekken takes itself also sooo serious at times, but at least Tekken works with actual martial artists
and hot babes, sorry Maggie Q, you're just not Mai-material
which are both HUGE plusses.
I don't think KOF was taking itself seriously either

Terry_Bogard-King_Of_Fighters_Movie.jpg

So you get more in-game fun money when you perform fatalities, right?
I wonder if they can implement a way to subtract Koins if you quit early to dissuade ragequitters.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Minamu said:
How big is the ps3 install? Gaf says 1.5GB while n4g.com says 4GB o_O

Damn! Is it a mandatory install? I only have a few gigs left on my PS3 so I may have to wait on this until I can get a bigger HDD.

Lireu77 said:
There was a report at Gamespot about the Aussie customs being pretty harsh on imports of that game. Big fines as well.

I guess the best thing to do would be finding a pal abroad and have the disc sent in a music case or something.
This is so embarrassing on Australia's part. Hopefully in 10 years this ban will seem just as ridiculous as all the freakouts about the violence in the original MK.

This is definitely going to be the hardest weekend of them all. I was thinking about not going to the launch party that they have in Toronto for MK on Monday Night (8pm-12) but now I'm itching for it so badly that I think I might just go.

Think I need to just get knees deep in some Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 this weekend to keep me occupied.

The Lamonster said:
If I get a regular edition early, does the KE have a sealed copy of the game that I could just return to a store?

USA here, btw.

If it's anything like the LBP2 CE (KE?) then it might have a "Not for resale" sticker in place of the UPC. This could conceivably be a problem, but Gamestop is usually pretty lax with those things.

infinityBCRT said:
This is definitely going to be the hardest weekend of them all. I was thinking about not going to the launch party that they have in Toronto for MK on Monday Night (8pm-12) but now I'm itching for it so badly that I think I might just go.
If you don't have any commitments early Tuesday morning, go for it!

Stinkdog

Neo Member
I'm excited for MK as much as the next guy, but I'm not like... refreshing my amazon page every ten minutes to see if the delivery status has changed yet. >_> I'm of the opinion that I'll get it when it gets here.

Of course, if it's not on my front porch by 2pm on Tuesday, I'm gonna have to choke a bitch.

Stinkdog said:
I'm excited for MK as much as the next guy, but I'm not like... refreshing my amazon page every ten minutes to see if the delivery status has changed yet. >_> I'm of the opinion that I'll get it when it gets here.

Of course, if it's not on my front porch by 2pm on Tuesday, I'm gonna have to choke a bitch.
The last time I got release day delivery, It came at around 3 or 4 pm

The Lamonster said:
Go with a buddy!
I actually work downtown and the place where its at is about a 10 minute walk from me, so the issue isn't getting here. Just don't like staying downtown too late because thats when it gets spooky :p.

Stinkdog said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-! My fragile hopes and dreams! D:
The time of day is entirely dependent on when your local delivery truck comes by your neighborhood. It'll be different for everyone. My mom's UPS truck doesn't come until 6pm, but mine comes at like 2pm because we live in different parts of town.

TreIII

infinityBCRT said:
Ricardo asking about Shaolin Monks. Boon: we'd love to make sequels... some of the SM guys are at this party... we'd love to make one... if we get enough twitter questions we'll do it (half jokingly)

Please. They're probably already planning such a game at this point. If WB hasn't already given them the go-ahead, they likely soon will.

Movement in this game is going to take a bit to get used too. It feels more fluid but at the same time, still feels like MK. Trying to set up a button config that I am comfortable playing with on stick is prolly my biggest issue atm.

Standard training mode with the option to record/playback is nice. Move list has basic combo starters but it is up to you to figure out what you can try to do next. A lot of the moves can be chained into your special leading to more damage and mixups. Footsies are weird cause of the movement but I'm sure once I get used to how MK plays, the metagame will become better as well.

I admit that I had low expectations for this game but right now, it is fun to play. I look forward to more experimentation with the characters in both 1v1 and 2v2 mode.

My GAME pre-order for the uk KE is now processing, if they did post it out tomorrow I could see it monday, holy smokes!

expecting: thursday :( which is still good as friday is release day.

giancarlo123x said:
When you beat arcade mode are the ending videos cutscenes or stills like Deception?
stills with voice over. Have only seen one ending so far via stream.

Kalnos

Banned
Think I'm going to buy Portal 2 on PS3 from Amazon and use the $20 off on this. (To be honest, I'm more hyped for this than Portal).

I remember playing UMK3 for hours with a friend, and this game is giving me that same vibe for whatever reason. Really digging the features, especially King of the Hill mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom