• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sdornan said:
I can't decide whether to get this for 360 or PS3. Leaning towards 360. Was there a "lead platform"?
They're identical supposedly. PS3 version has a mandatory 1.5 GB install, 3D, and additional character though.

MrMephistoX

neorej said:
I think the biggest positive for both MK-movies is that they don't take themselves so seriously. As opposed to King of Fighters, which was cringe-worthy. Tekken takes itself also sooo serious at times, but at least Tekken works with actual martial artists
and hot babes, sorry Maggie Q, you're just not Mai-material
which are both HUGE plusses.

Key difference being that the actors and costume designers didn't take MK Annihilation seriously either. The first one is still pretty damn good but Annihilation is absolutely atrocious.

GrayFoxPL

W Hudson said:
Well there is a basic practice mode so I would say yes

He meant a mode from mkvsdc or sf4 where you have to preform various combos showed on screen.

Ohhhh shit! One seller here in poland just put on allegro(think ebay) a regular edition but with free dlc codes for classic sub-zero, reptile and kitana!

Fuck I would so jump in but I'm afraid being scammed.

fernoca

If anyone wants them:

LHGvq.png
6KsKZ.png

Flipyap

GrayFoxPL said:
Ohhhh shit! One seller here in poland just put on allegro(think ebay) a regular edition but with free dlc codes for classic sub-zero, reptile and kitana!

Fuck I would so jump in but I'm afraid being scammed.
That sounds like Amazon.co.uk's pre-order offer, except more expensive (if that's the auction I'm looking at).

ReBurn

Gold Member
Just left 65 bucks with my local Gamestop for my PS3 copy. They're doing a midnight release of Portal 2 and I can pick this up at the same time as that. I need to take Tuesday off of work.

GrayFoxPL

Flipyap said:
That sounds like Amazon.co.uk's pre-order offer, except more expensive (if that's the auction I'm looking at).

Aha so it's real? It's the only deal like that here, I think I'm going to get it.

Flipyap

S1kkZ said:
please explain the amazon thing.
Everything's right here (that's a long link, if it doesn't work, just go to the MK product page and you'll find everything in the "Exclusive Unlock When You Pre-order" box)

"Pre-order Mortal Kombat and in addition to Amazon.co.uk's Pre-order Price Guarantee, you will receive codes to unlock Sub Zero and Reptile original character costumes and classic fatalities, plus Klassic Kitana's original Mortal Kombat ninja outfit."

sdornan said:
I can't decide whether to get this for 360 or PS3. Leaning towards 360. Was there a "lead platform"?

Ive went back and forth as well.

Its Kratos + Dualshock (better for this type of control scheme IMO) vs. XBL and more friends on 360.

Right now, my Amazon preorder is on the PS3, but just dont know what I want to do.

So in the online king of the hill matches, I know when spectating you have the red stage effect around the image but when you are actually fighting on your turn does that stage effect not go away? watching a stream of someone playing online and its always there :/

Diablohead said:
So in the online king of the hill matches, I know when spectating you have the red stage effect around the image but when you are actually fighting on your turn does that stage effect not go away? watching a stream of someone playing online and its always there :/

You can hit select to go to full screen. It was in the trailer they released a few days ago.

Fucking dying for Tuesday right now. Teh l33t pir4t3z, GameStop employees, and the lucky few who got it early are playing it now =/

Diablohead said:

I was watching a stream and remember there being a "Push BUTTON to go full screen" or something...

cuevas said:
I was watching a stream and remember there being a "Push BUTTON to go full screen" or something...
oh thats great to hear, I was worried.

Also lol out of the few online players in mk9 right now theres a ton of rage quitters.

If there is no penalty for quitting in this game the online will go to shit after a few weeks.

There doesn't seem to be blind select too, ugh.

Aske

I'm still managing to resist the spoiler thread...

I don't want to spoil any fun little easter eggs, story details or fatality details so I can enjoy them for the first time when I get the game, but I hope some of the guys in the spoilerific MK OT2 drop by this thread with a few choice updates when the major questions get answered!

Do we know if classic costumes/fatalities unlock without pre-order codes yet?

Do we know if
Quan Chi
's alt is his MK4 costume?

Do we know if Rain is a hidden character?

Is the retail game confirmed to be faster the the demo?

Is the default sound mix better than the demo?

WTF does Sonya's alt look like? Does she have a hat?

DrDogg

From a competitive standpoint I'm extremely disappointed to find that the record function in training mode only records combos and can't be used to test anything. This gives me significant concern about the competitive aspects and longevity of this game.

The current record function is essentially useless. I don't understand why NRS thought this was a good idea. The rest of the training mode seems to be pretty similar to other fighting games, but for whatever reason, one of the most important aspects of a training mode (for competitive players) is ruined.

This alone makes it far more difficult to break the game down. smh

sleepykyo

Diablohead said:
oh thats great to hear, I was worried.

Also lol out of the few online players in mk9 right now theres a ton of rage quitters.

If there is no penalty for quitting in this game the online will go to shit after a few weeks.

There doesn't seem to be blind select too, ugh.
That´s surprising ? rage quitting in fighting games used to be pretty rare . Guess it´s a good thing it is becoming more common.

MrMephistoX

Aske said:

I don't want to spoil any fun little easter eggs, story details or fatality details so I can enjoy them for the first time when I get the game, but I hope some of the guys in the spoilerific MK OT2 drop by this thread with a few choice updates when the major questions get answered!

Do we know if
Quan Chi

I'd say go into the spoilers thread and look but you'd probably see a few things that you'd rather you didn't know about. I ventured in their to see if the retro costumes had been unlocked and kind of wished I didn't now.

parasight

MrMephistoX said:
I'd say go into the spoilers thread and look but you'd probably see a few things that you'd rather you didn't know about. I ventured in their to see if the retro costumes had been unlocked and kind of wished I didn't now.

Did you find an answer for your question? I'm curious too, but don't want to get spoiled in there.

MrMephistoX

parasight said:
Did you find an answer for your question? I'm curious too, but don't want to get spoiled in there.

So far no one has unlocked them yet but from what I've heard the Krypt is pretty massive so we'll see.

Aske

MrMephistoX said:

Good to know I'm doing the right thing by staying away, I'm sure I'd feel the same way as you. But I'd still like to know the answer to some of these broader questions. I'm guessing others in this thread would be interested too; for example if the retro stuff is confirmed not to be unlockable, there's probably still time to get a BestBuy/Gamestop pre-order in for the codes if anyone cares enough to go that route. I'm too lazy to do that, but I'll still rest easier knowing if they're unlockable or if I'll have to wait for DLC. And we must know by now if the game speed thing was true or not.

fernoca

Aske said:

Do we know if
Quan Chi

1. So far no. Some has unlocked many things, but no sign of those yet.
2. No mention of that at the moment.
3. Not...yet? Netherrealm was still implying yesterday at the launch party that he's not in the game at all.
4. Some find it faster.
5. Yeah, was expected since in the demo you couldn't change the options for it, but the retail game you can.
6. Haven't seen mention of that.

TreIII

henhowc said:
So have we found out if changing stances actually affects gameplay or is it a purely aesthetic thing?

Per some of the people who actually tested the game and also post TestYourMight.com's forums?

SOME characters can benefit from it as a means of getting a bit more out of their normals. But by and large, it won't mean much for most players.

Aske

fernoca said:
1. So far no. Some has unlocked many things, but no sign of those yet.
2. No mention of that at the moment.
3.. Not...yet? Netherrealm was still implying yesterday at the launch party that he's not in the game at all.
4. Some find it faster.
5. Yeah, was expected since in the demo you couldn't change the options for it, but the retail game you can.
6. Haven't seen mention of that.

Thanks, fernoca. Seems like most of this stuff is still up in the air. I'm surprised about the retro costumes/fatalities, but it'd be crazy if we weren't given access to them at least as DLC eventually. Weird omission if they're not in the game.

If there's no sign of Rain, what was up with Gerstmann's tweet that was posted a pages back in this thread? Something like "I thought we'd seen the last of Rain..." Combined with Boon's tweets about not choosing
Quan Chi
for the game instead of Rain, I figured evidence for him being hidden was building. No one seemed to take any notice of it besides me! If he is in the game, I guess this means he's hidden well.

Xevren said:
Sonya's alt has a hat. Her outfit looks terrible, at least to me.

Hey, if it has a hat, I'll probably be satisfied. I just want her to look more like a soldier and less like a stripper. Thanks for letting me know!

Xevren

Aske said:
Thanks, fernoca. Seems like most of this stuff is still up in the air. I'm surprised about the retro costumes/fatalities, but it'd be crazy if we weren't given access to them at least as DLC eventually. Weird omission if they're not in the game.

If there's no sign of Rain, what was up with Gerstmann's tweet that was posted a pages back in this thread? Something like "I thought we'd seen the last of Rain..." Combined with Boon's tweets about not choosing
Quan Chi
for the game instead of Rain, I figured evidence for him being hidden was building. No one seemed to take any notice of it besides me! If he is in the game, I guess this means he's hidden well.

Hey, if it has a hat, I'll probably be satisfied. I just want her to look more like a soldier and less like a stripper. Thanks for letting me know!

She still looks like a stripper, sorry.

Aske

TreIII said:
Per some of the people who actually tested the game and also post TestYourMight.com's forums?

SOME characters can benefit from it as a means of getting a bit more out of their normals. But by and large, it won't mean much for most players.

They're wrong! If you switch stance 20 times in one match, your character turns 4D. Believe.

Xevren said:
She still looks like a stripper, sorry.

Haha! At least she's a stripper with a hat though. The ratio of stripper to soldier must be slightly adjusted in favour of 'soldier' compared to her regular costume if she scored that hat. Unless her alt is completely topless or she's wearing a thong. Or the hat is a bondage hood.

Xevren

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone is interested. I have the PS3 copy reserved at Gamestop but don't really care about the Scorpion classic outfit and would really like to get the Reptile one, would anyone be interested in a trade?

Khezu

Sonya's alt makes her look like a blond laura croft with sun glasses and a hat.
Kinda like her look in the second MK movie.
Also shes wearing boots, that alone makes it better then her primary.

fernoca

Well some of the classics-costumes like Reptile, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Mileena..include a "classic fatality" too, so at least those characters have 3 fatalities.

Khezu said:
???
2Xt5s.jpg

???

Aske

Khezu said:

Works for me! She looked slutty as hell in previous games, but still looked military. Sounds like the alt is more along those lines. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom