• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alstein

_dementia said:
Blazblue's pre-launch online was great. I still remember Haunts being hype with his pre-release copy of CT lol.

Ok, then time to worry about the online.

If online sucks, well that's why I'm picking up Arcana on the 19th also. Just in case.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Glad I'm not interested in playing MK online, then. :D Getting MK solely for single player and local VS/tag co-op. Couldn't get any of my friends to touch MvC3, SSFIV, or BlazBlue, but they're all over MK.

Actually, I recall differently, but it's irrelevant as ArcSys had already announced that there was going to be a big patch for the netcode Day 1 (or Day 2, whatever, it was coming immediately after launch). It was post-patch that the online experience was completely butter.

NRS has not done the same.

alstein

Seraphis Cain said:
Glad I'm not interested in playing MK online, then. :D Getting MK solely for single player and local VS/tag co-op. Couldn't get any of my friends to touch MvC3, SSFIV, or BlazBlue, but they're all over MK.

I wish I had that option. There's an offline community here, but they won't play the game or won't play when I can. I'm reliant on online.

Plus, there's something awesome about being able to play games without having to get dressed at 5am. Even in the old arcade days you couldn't do that.

I suspect NRS will do something about the online if it's not up to par- but they might not be able to do enough. (Of course, you have to wait and see until release- mediocre netcode can be compensated for by having a shitton of players within 50-100 miles of you, which will be the case for this the first couple of weeks)

fernoca

One thing I'm still waiting on knowing is about the online-region lock. Which I suspect won't affect people in your friends list, but more about how they're going to decide the region: by game? console? IP?

Since in my case, there are companies that remove PR from US, while others don't so if they remove PR from US in this game, I won't be able to play with people online in the US. :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'd laugh if that tier list ended up being accurate down the line. I've always played Baraka in MK, and I have had a knack for picking low tier characters in every damn fighting game this gen.

After watching a few videos of the story mode and seeing not only the amount of content, but the superb presentation... wow.

What a fantastic way to make the story relevant. I'd love, love, love if the Street Fighter series had done something similar.

sleepykyo

fernoca said:
One thing I'm still waiting on knowing is about the online-region lock. Which I suspect won't affect people in your friends list, but more about how they're going to decide the region: by game? console? IP?

Since in my case, there are companies that remove PR from US, while others don't so if they remove PR from US in this game, I won't be able to play with people online in the US. :p
Did they state it would be locked for both? Normally the ps3 version is open season outside of MGO.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This is just from my experience, but the the netcode is pretty much the same as Super Street Fighter 4 for me. I'm in Texas and I played my boy from New Jersey about 40 matches just now.

alstein

_tetsuo_ said:
This is just from my experience, but the the netcode is pretty much the same as Super Street Fighter 4 for me. I'm in Texas and I played my boy from New Jersey about 40 matches just now.

That was pretty much what I expect (at a minimum) in terms of quality, and what I thought we were going to get, so I hope you're right.

Would you say MK9 is lag hostile or lag friendly as a game?

clockpunk

Just been allowed a very quick go on a friend's review copy. Glad to report that Klassic Skins are all unlockable (by purchasing concept art for that character, which is all random as you don't know what you are buying until it unlocks). I was allowed to choose a grave at random, I picked 7 and got Reptiles Klassic skin.

I haven't seen it definitively reported yet, so there we go! :D

Assuming Klassic Fatalities require a seperate purchase within the Krypt.

clockpunk said:
Just been allowed a very quick go on a friend's review copy. Glad to report that Klassic Skins are all unlockable (by purchasing concept art for that character, which is all random as you don't know what you are buying until it unlocks). I was allowed to choose a grave at random, I picked 7 and got Reptiles Klassic skin.

Good to hear!

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
clockpunk said:

That is excellent news, thank you for sharing!

LordK

clockpunk said:

Thanks for the confirmation!

clockpunk

Glad to be of help.

That said, I didn't have enough time to find out *how* to switch to the costumes, but it definately told me I had done so. Spent the koins, got the klassic costume concept art and it said 'You have unlocked an aritfact'. Went to the Mausoleum (seperate room for viewing unlocks), and then it told me the klassic skin had unlocked. :D

Rather a convoluted process, but one that cheers me no end! It'll be tough unlocking them all, as there were well over 100 things to purchase.

LordK

infinityBCRT said:
how do you actually choose alts at the select screen? and is there any art for the alts?

I was watching a stream and when you choose the character you can choose your costume. The art didn't change if I remember correctly.

KAL2006

Banned
still no confirmation if boss characters are unlockable, none of the folks who have the game mentioned bosses being unlockables

Frankfurt

Banned
Game is listed on XBox Live finally. The amount of extras is staggering: one. Just the 800msp online pass. No trailers, no nothing.

LordK said:
I was watching a stream and when you choose the character you can choose your costume. The art didn't change if I remember correctly.
is it a pop up box? do you have to hold a button combo? I hated it in armageddon/deception because you had to hold start I think to make it happen and sometimes it wouldn't register.

S8GRt.png

Someone can take this one, I don't need it anymore.

RS4-

Push start to select costumes. I hate browsing the krypt, its really annoying lol.

I'm not sure who I really want to focus on though. Back in mk2 and 3 it was Jax, Lao, Cage, Stryer and Kabal. In 9 I like how the first three play. I'll probably focus on them and probably smoke/noob. Probably throw in Shang too depending on whether my opponent picks someone I'm comfortable using.

Story mode: can't skip cutscenes. I don't know if there's a chapter select after you finish it though.

Test your sight/might/strike: you can only access the higher challenges as long as you pass them in the main challenge tower.

MrMephistoX

Chairhome said:
Nice. So sorry, GreyfoxPL, you owe me some Krypt Koins, andMr. E. Yis told you so! :p
Just like the folks who insisted Capcom was bound to screw over fans with SSFIV Arcade Edition I'd be willing to bet there will be no admission of incorrectness.

Seriously though if this were a troll I'd consider it ban worthy. I want mah free skins and fatalities damnit. ;)

I'm really excited.
The demo sold it to me in less than a minute of gameplay.

I also love how easy the fatalities are performed.
In older mk's I always had trouble getting consequent fatalities out.

Sblargh

Banned
During the demo people were worried about easy combos doing a lot of damage. Watching dude pulling off 36% damage off "very doable" combos before the official launch, how do you guys feel about it?

Sblargh said:
During the demo people were worried about easy combos doing a lot of damage. Watching dude pulling off 36% damage off "very doable" combos before the official launch, how do you guys feel about it?
I feel like I should block

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sblargh said:

It's an improvement. Smoke did 50% easy combos in Ultimake MK3, plus we have a combo breaker in this one.

Aske

clockpunk said:

You, sir, are a giant among lesser men. This is the news I was waiting for: game is perfection confirmed. Way to go Boon and Neatherrealm Studios!

Aske

RS4- said:
Story mode: can't skip cutscenes. I don't know if there's a chapter select after you finish it though.

You know what's a thousand times worse than unskippable cutscenes? Cut scenes with PRESS X TO SKIP tattooed all over them from the beginning of the game all the way to the end. Deception and Armageddon both had this irritating implementation of an otherwise useful feature, and I'm glad it hasn't made it into this game.

That said, there was no command to skip cutscenes in MK vs DC either. Very weird omission these days, given how many people hate cutscenes for breaking up the flow of their gameplay. Especially if it's possible to die and have to restart play before a cutscene. But if they include a skip button in future games, I hope they just let impatient players instinctively press start and discover it on their own.

Aske said:
You know what's a thousand times worse than unskippable cutscenes? Cut scenes with PRESS X TO SKIP tattooed all over them from the beginning of the game all the way to the end. Deception and Armageddon both had this irritating implementation of an otherwise useful feature, and I'm glad it hasn't made it into this game.

That said, there was no command to skip cutscenes in MK vs DC either. Very weird omission these days, given how many people hate cutscenes for breaking up the flow of their gameplay. Especially if it's possible to die and have to restart play before a cutscene. But if they include a skip button in future games, I hope they just let impatient players instinctively press start and discover it on their own.

I have an answer for that.

If you die it just starts the fight over. No movies to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom