• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

sooperkool said:
No, I just think a ver small group of you are concerned about something that has been already addressed an may not exist once you have the actual game on release day.

I don't care about srars and frames and infinite loops. I'll probably never play too many randoms online and if there is some great "exploit: that keeps this game from being the head liner of the Amp Energy World Championships hen I really dont care. I'm just tired of the bitching because almost no one cares about it.

So yeah, I'm sure that means I want the game shitty and unbalanced because somebody somewhere with too much time on their hands uses a technique that I'll never see to kick my butt in some video game.
if you don't care about that stuff in the first place, why would it matter if they patched that stuff out? there are people out there that take fighting games seriously and would like to see a level playing field

dralla said:
if you don't care about that stuff in the first place, why would it matter if they patched that stuff out? there are people out there that take fighting games seriously and would like to see a level playing field

Ugh, there is nothing wrong with taking fighting games seriously or that stuff being patched out. I'm saying,"Don't be all concerned or worried or whatever just yet because we are still pre-release and the devs have said they'll fix it".

"Just tired of the same od with every fighting game. "Its broken", "it wont be competitive". The game isnt even out yet and the devs have said they'll take care of it but always the complaining. Let the game be released and actually be broken and not fixed. That i can get behind."

Heaven forbid people are concerned about their experience with a game. Whether its broken or not, you seem to not care so what does it matter if they want a non-broken game? You want a game that's broken just to spite them? Why do you want them to stop discussing this?

Aske

derFeef said:
It has been confirmed that they are unlockable (spoiler thread), but you need to work a bit more for them.

Does that mean they're not in the Krypt, and need to be unlocked some other way? Rewards for beating certain levels of the Challenge Tower perhaps...? And do we know anything about the retro fatalities? Feel free to post the info here in spoiler tags.

G-Fex

I agree with the mod, let's change the subject than nagging about the fighting system and do other things.

You know I remember when I first saw Mortal Kombat, it was the center of the small arcade nearby in this old half-closed outlet mall. There were a bunch of guys gathered around it, being a little kid I naturally bugged my way there and waited for a good while watching and going "ooh" and "ahh" at how it looked so cool like "Pitfighter" (I liked pitfighter as a kid, and still do today for the hilarity of it)

Then I picked Raiden, and got my ass kicked by these asshole teenagers. They already knew the fatalities and shit, the fatalities were like a shock to me, it's so amazing this stuff a finishing manuver! (I wasn't traumatized like other kids cause I was already immune to the sorta thing and it wasn't that gory)

Good times.

The CPU in the arcade was totally cheap though, I mean what a fucking difficulty curve.

Zwei

Good lord, this OT is a thing of beauty.

I have the tournament edition on pre-order. My body can never be ready..

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Say, *not* counting the pre-order Klassic Kostumes, how many total costumes is each character supposed to have in the base game? 2, or 3?

G-Fex said:
I agree with the mod, let's change the subject than nagging about the fighting system and do other things.

You know I remember when I first saw Mortal Kombat, it was the center of the small arcade nearby in this old half-closed outlet mall. There were a bunch of guys gathered around it, being a little kid I naturally bugged my way there and waited for a good while watching and going "ooh" and "ahh" at how it looked so cool like "Pitfighter" (I liked pitfighter as a kid, and still do today for the hilarity of it)

Then I picked Raiden, and got my ass kicked by these asshole teenagers. They already knew the fatalities and shit, the fatalities were like a shock to me, it's so amazing this stuff a finishing manuver! (I wasn't traumatized like other kids cause I was already immune to the sorta thing and it wasn't that gory)

Good times.

The CPU in the arcade was totally cheap though, I mean what a fucking difficulty curve.
When MK1 was new on the megadrive in the uk I had my parents rent it for me a few times, they knew that I understood that a game was a game and did not really seem suprised by the gore, where I live I have never seen many arcade cabs in person so I knew nothing about the console versions lacking frames and visuals.

A lot of people know scorpions toasty fatality the best but for me it was kano's heart grab, I learned that one at my older cousins on his copy and will never forget it, good times.

Aske

Kaijima said:
Say, *not* counting the pre-order Klassic Kostumes, how many total costumes is each character supposed to have in the base game? 2, or 3?

Ignoring the retro stuff, each character has two costumes. Same as their number of fatalities. It's like whenever a character gets a new outfit, they're inspired to come up with a new way to brutally murder someone.

Just played like 15 UMK3 matches online with a random on XBLA, lost every match but it was fun. I suspect the other guy knew what characters match up well with others though because he was waiting until I selected. Every time I selected Reptile he countered with Reptile, and I probably got the closest to beating him with Reptile and Scorpion. Connection was the best I've had in a while for that game although I could notice the split second lag as I'd get nailed with projectiles as I just pressed block. In offline I'd usually avoid those.

I wish there were versions of the old games with the online system of MK vs DC where you could just hang out in a lobby. UMK3 kinda has that with 4 characters. I think MK2 on PSN is only matchmaking though.

Think I'll bust out some MK1 now for a bit.

"I agree with the mod, let's change the subject than nagging about the fighting system and do other things."

That's not what the mod is saying at all.

I wasn't really planning on getting this but I pre-ordered it at Gamestop today after the surprise discovery that my girlfriend actually really likes fighting games, so I'll have someone to play it against. I was kind of on the fence before but maybe leaning toward getting it as I'm informed by People Who Know that this game is (a) really really good and (b) pretty accessible to fighting game novices like me who can't handle all those super-fancy combos. Looking forward to playing it!

Gary Whitta said:
I wasn't really planning on getting this but I pre-ordered it at Gamestop today after the surprise discovery that my girlfriend actually really likes fighting games, so I'll have someone to play it against. I was kind of on the fence before but maybe leaning toward getting it as I'm informed by People Who Know that this game is (a) really really good and (b) pretty accessible to fighting game novices like me who can't handle all those super-fancy combos. Looking forward to playing it!

Lets see you match up against Jeff :p

K701

Banned
I'll be honest. I wasn't interested in this game because I'm kind of a fighting game snob and don't really like MK (except MK1 to Trilogy but who as a kid didn't love DAT VIOLENCE?)
BUT THEN I SAW THE STORY MODE INTRO AND OMG I IMMEDIATELY WENT TO AMAZON AND PRE ORDERED IT. HOLY SHIT IT REMINDS ME SO MUCH OF THE MK MOVIE! Amazing production values, they sure earned my money! Can't wait!

G-Fex

Teknopathetic said:
"I agree with the mod, let's change the subject than nagging about the fighting system and do other things."

I know I just wanted to change the subject.

Tokubetsu

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah, that's not going to be happening.

I'll let you beat me Gary for that signed copy of BoE that I didnt get to order because you didnt tell anyone in the original thread you were making a new thread =/

Khezu

Anyone with the full game, can you assign the same command to multiple buttons, so I can have 2 different buttons be block? You couldn't do this in the demo for some reason, wondering if they changed it.

RS4-

Khezu said:
Anyone with the full game, can you assign the same command to multiple buttons, so I can have 2 different buttons be block? You couldn't do this in the demo for some reason, wondering if they changed it.
Nope, can't button map them to two buttons.

RS4- said:
Nope, can't button map them to two buttons.

Then how do you set them up with fight sticks? I was thinking of going with lower left for block ala VF or DoA but I'm not to sure I liked the idea of pokes not being on those two buttons in a 3d fighter... Does MK even have pokes?

RS4-

Spirit of Jazz said:
Then how do you set them up with fight sticks? I was thinking of going with lower left for block ala VF or DoA but I'm not to sure I liked the idea of pokes not being on those two buttons in a 3d fighter... Does MK even have pokes?
Map it however you like; I've got mine like this on my TE
FP - tag - BP
FK - block - BK

Put block wherever you like, I like it like the above so it's easier to hit xray. There was no way I'd buy that MK panel or a dedicated stick since it felt comfortable on the normal 6 button layout.

Chairhome

Teknopathetic said:

I think it sounded facetious cause it seems like english isn't his first language. Pretty sure he didn't mean to make it sound like it did

Tokubetsu

Lost Fragment said:
That stream makes the online look really laggy. Maybe it's just the stream that's lagging for me, but doesn't seem that way.

Might be your connection, seems fine here at 720p. Kinda tired of mileena though. Great quality stream though.

Aske

Gary Whitta said:
How come 360 doesn't get an exclusive character like PS3? I call bullshit!

Whole can of worms, my friend. Best not to talk about it or it'll start another console wars discussion, and then ban hammers will lay waste the thread.

Lost Fragment said:
That stream makes the online look really laggy. Maybe it's just the stream that's lagging for me, but doesn't seem that way.
Someone streaming on the same internet connection as playing could also cause lag.

MK1 is definitely harder than I remember. But I didn't play the arcade version that much back in the day (Genesis or DOS). Those endurance rounds are fucking killer.

Tokubetsu

infinityBCRT said:
MK1 is definitely harder than I remember. But I didn't play the arcade version that much back in the day (Genesis or DOS). Those endurance rounds are fucking killer.

Definitely. I remember MK3 being pretty difficult thanks to the ridiculous combos. MK2 was pretty easy until you got to Kintaro.

SketchTheArtist said:
I think the original Lupinko rumours suggested that it may be possible but I really doubt it. They'd have to get Steve Ritchie to revoice the whole thing because of any new characters/DLC, and just from Shaolin Monks you can tell his voice changed a lot since the MK2/3 days. He also has tinnitus and is in the process of going deaf as well. I think he said he thinks he'll be deaf by 2012.

infinityBCRT said:
I think the original Lupinko rumours suggested that it may be possible but I really doubt it. They'd have to get Steve Ritchie to revoice the whole thing because of any new characters/DLC, and just from Shaolin Monks you can tell his voice changed a lot since the MK2/3 days. He also has tinnitus and is in the process of going deaf as well. I think he said he thinks he'll be deaf by 2012.

Wow....that sucks. Poor him.

cuevas said:
Lets see you match up against Jeff :p
Actually I think what would be better is Jeff & Gary in some tag team online during the next TNT.

BTW Ryan Davis (@taswell) mentioned that GiantBomb is doing a live retrospective of MK games on Monday (including Mythologies, Special Forces and Shaolin Monks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom