• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SketchTheArtist said:
Wow....that sucks. Poor him.
Yeah... I think they'd be better off casting for a soundalike. But I think theres a lot of loyalty in that NRS office to the current guy who does it. Seems like just a tight knit group.

I was watching a GiantBomb (Jeff) interview with Boon a few weeks before MK vs DC came out and one of the things Boon said was that he wouldn't mind if he didn't see some of the badly designed characters in recent MKs again but he'd never say which characters because he wouldn't want to upset the designers for those characters.

fernoca

Just 48 more hours...for the "midnight launch" ....thing! :)

EDIT:
Oh..wow...that CG trailer is really special..and violent! :O!

kitzkozan

FunnyBunny said:
After watching a few videos of the story mode and seeing not only the amount of content, but the superb presentation... wow.

What a fantastic way to make the story relevant. I'd love, love, love if the Street Fighter series had done something similar.

Probably the best thing that will come out of this game. Great care as been taken to seduce casual gamers or those who have given up on this genre with a canon story mode that make sense ( not a particularly good story, but hey ). Definitively taken a page out of Starcraft 2 here to make the single player experience worth it out of a genre which isn't normally suited to a narrative approach.

Capcom should follow suit ( along with Namco and everyone else really ) , but we all know japanese have a different approach toward game design. Plus, the weakest point of Capcom is that they virtually have no writers and can't make much sense when they try to write a story. :p

fernoca

By the way, aside that awesome Cg trailer..anything "big" revealed today? Or anything I might add to the OP?

I'm trying to avoid "the internets" till I have the game, so I'll be around less this days and be playing Dissidia 012 and Sly Cooper; since was gifted both this days. :p

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I actually feel pretty pathetic, just went to gamestop recently to try to coerce a friend into getting me the game a bit early. Shouldn't have been a problem as long as he didn't ring it up till Tuesday but that was still dumb of me.

2 MORE DAYS SON UNTIL MORTAL KOMBAT DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN

I kinda wish they had put together a 2011 remake of that original TV ad with all the people running through the streets of New York shouting "Mortal Kombat"! That commercial was the shit!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
any reported difference between the 360 and ps3 versions? bout to pre-order
PS3: Kratos; Avatar-ed MK Characters as spectators in King of the Hill.
360: First DLC character rumored to be free for 360; Personal Avatars as spectators in King of the Hill.

Besides that, nothing is reported.

gamerecks said:
This is gonna be the first fighting game Ive purchased since Virtua Fighter on PS2
Dead or Alive 4 here, although I never played it much. I think the last fighter I put any real time into was Soul Calibur for Dreamcast.

Just watched that last match between Jade and Reptile on Justin.tv - wow, what's the deal with those cinematic super-moves, those look pretty cool.

Holy shit these fatalities are RIDICULOUS. Pre-order validated!

Can someone familiar with the franchise explain what the deal is with fatalities being gone from MK for a while and now they're back, seemingly more graphic than ever? Was there a period before ESRB when they were considered too controversial or something?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Gary Whitta said:

Can someone familiar with the franchise explain what the deal is with fatalities being gone from MK for a while and now they're back, seemingly more graphic than ever? Was there a period before ESRB when they were considered too controversial or something?

They toned them down in MK vs DC because DC didn't want Superman being brutally decapitated and all that jazz.

Lost Fragment said:
They toned them down in MK vs DC because DC didn't want Superman being brutally decapitated and all that jazz.

Yep. That and they wanted to try something different with Armageddon and gave each character a brutality-style fatality, where you chain them up. I personally didn't like that cause it doesn't give the characters their own personality.

Glad they are back for good!

Gary Whitta said:
How does any kind of fighting game where Superman is a character even work??

Simple. Give him a health bar... :p

ethic

Gary Whitta said:

I don't think they were ever gone from MK, except for MK vs DC (I never played), which was due to it having to have a T-rating (because of DC's request or something). Armageddon had some lame-ass Kreate-a-Fatality which was stupid. All the other games had pretty violent fatalities.

MK1 SNES was censored, though.

The violence in the original Mortal Kombat is a large reason why the ESRB was established. And Night Trap.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
shagg_187 said:
Yep. That and they wanted to try something different with Armageddon and gave each character a brutality-style fatality, where you chain them up. I personally didn't like that cause it doesn't give the characters their own personality.

Eh...I think they did that with Armageddon moreso because they didn't have the budget to give like 60 characters individual fatalities.

ethic

Gary Whitta said:
How does any kind of fighting game where Superman is a character even work??

They created a story.

wikipedia said:
After Shao Kahn's invasion of Earthrealm is defeated by Raiden's forces of light, Raiden destroys Kahn by blasting him through a portal. At exactly the same time on Earth, Superman stops Darkseid's Apokoliptian invasion by blasting Darkseid with his heat vision as he enters a boom tube. These acts do not destroy either of them, but merges them into Dark Kahn, and causes the DC and Mortal Kombat universes to merge.[12]

As the worlds merge, the characters' abilities fluctuate, causing violent "rage" outbreaks that are actually the feelings of Dark Kahn being fused into the characters from afar. Because of this, certain characters either gain strength or vulnerability. This allows things such as the possibility of Superman being defeated due to his vulnerability to magic, and giving the Joker the ability to fight Raiden

Sblargh said:
I think scorpion will own until people discover the block button.
Seriously!! :lol :lol So painful watching the misuse of block... :/

That said, I bow to NRS for the insane character modelling, and the way the damage system works, and the way they deform on the fly into dust or fog of smoke. Fucking insane, I tells ya! They mastered Unreal Engine 3!

Beardz

After MK vs DC everybody complaint about the lack of blood and violence, Boom then said "oh, you want blood eh?" and that's why MK9 is one of the most violent games ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom