• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary Whitta said:
Holy shit these fatalities are RIDICULOUS. Pre-order validated!

Can someone familiar with the franchise explain what the deal is with fatalities being gone from MK for a while and now they're back, seemingly more graphic than ever? Was there a period before ESRB when they were considered too controversial or something?

You should check the Fatality Fridays feature over at Gametrailers.com, they have compiled most of the Fatalities from all of the MK games (except MK vs DC). The last real MK game they did (Armageddon) they got rid of the cool fatalities in favour for custom ones (likely because it was cheaper to do since Midway was going bankrupt), and then MK vs DC as said before was neutered due to T rating.

The last main MK game with real fatalities was released in 2004.

When I pre-ordered at Gamestop today the clerk asked me if I wanted to pick it up at the midnight launch. I politely declined - can only begin to imagine the very special hell that will be.

Played a bunch of matches of retail. Really fun, good mix of characters. Some awesome and truly gruesome specials and fatilities. Enjoyed what I played for sure, kind of wish there were more stages and that they would be a bit more interesting.

fernoca

Gary Whitta said:
When I pre-ordered at Gamestop today the clerk asked me if I wanted to pick it up at the midnight launch. I politely declined - can only begin to imagine the very special hell that will be.
Booo..you're no fun! Join the midnight launch!!! :p

But yeah, with Portal 2, Socom 4 and Mortal Kombat..it will be hell. :p

DevelopmentArrested said:
Played a bunch of matches of retail. Really fun, good mix of characters. Some awesome and truly gruesome specials and fatilities. Enjoyed what I played for sure, kind of wish there were more stages and that they would be a bit more interesting.
There are 25 stages not counting the ones with day/night variations that's way more than most games, even a lot considering the amount of extra content it has.

I mean, there are other fighting games with 8 stages and no alt costumes, but I won't say names. :p

Im really enjoying playing as Smoke in this.
He is fast and love his moves.

I allways use his alt costume though, hate the other hair look.

Xevren

Gary Whitta said:

Not much hell for me, I just show up a few minutes after midnight, get my copy and go. Quick and painless. Really only sucks for shooters, everything else has been kind of small. Could just be because where I live though.

Xevren said:
Not much hell for me, I just show up a few minutes after midnight, get my copy and go. Quick and painless. Really only sucks for shooters, everything else has been kind of small. Could just be because where I live though.
Huh, I guess I just am kind of assuming that the hardcore MK crowd would be similar to the hardcore Halo/CoD/Gears crowd - ie people I don't want anywhere near me in real life.

Xevren

SF 4 and MvC 3 launch was pretty tame here too. They had a MvC 3 mini tourney type thing but even then it was fairly quiet. But seriously, if you're normally up around midnight and you want the game just go like 5-10 minutes after midnight and you should be fine. Just be sure you have your game paid in full before you go to make it even smoother. I've never had any problems getting in and out quick for midnight launch's this way.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Gary Whitta said:
Huh, I guess I just am kind of assuming that the hardcore MK crowd would be similar to the hardcore Halo/CoD/Gears crowd - ie people I don't want anywhere near me in real life.

You've been to multiple Apple iOS product launches... I can't imagine there's anybody more insufferable than the people waiting in line at those.

Gary Whitta said:
ummmm... isn't Jeff kinda part of that crowd? lol

shagg_187 said:
Is there Midnight Launch in Canada?
I don't think so :(

Closest thing is some cineplex theatres will have a tourney Monday night. Thinking about going due to lack of midnight launch.

low-G said:
This is the first Mortal Kombat game I've ever bought.

Hmm lets see how many MKs I own right now...

MK1 - Midway Arcade Treasures for PSP
MK2 - PSN, Midway Arcade Treasures for PS2, Midway Arcade Treasures for PSP, Shaolin Monks for PS2
MK3 - Midway Arcade Treasures for PS2, Midway Arcade Treasures for PSP
UMK3 - Xbox Live Arcade
MK Trilogy - PC
MK4/Gold - none
MKDA - PS2
MKD - PS2, Xbox
MK Shaolin Monks - PS2
MKA - PS2
MK vs DC - Xbox 360

I seriously can't stop laughing at these fatalities and x-ray attacks, kudos to the developers for going this over-the-top, I love it! Almost makes up for Thrill Kill never coming out...

Aruarian Reflection said:
You've been to multiple Apple iOS product launches... I can't imagine there's anybody more insufferable than the people waiting in line at those.
No way dude, those people are the cream of society, like me.

Aske

Hey guys.

The new trailer.

Are they doing what they did with previous MK games and releasing the first cutscene under the guise of a trailer? Or has this video been created solely for the purpose of promoting the game? I'm happy to watch an awesome CG trailer, but I'll skip it if it's all footage taken from the story mode.

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
Negative edge inputs are recognized for too long! Causes some target combo inputs to be skipped if you follow up with a special move motion without pausing a second. Don't like it!

? Example?

Khezu

Aske said:
Hey guys.

The new trailer.

Are they doing what they did with previous MK games and releasing the first cutscene under the guise of a trailer? Or has this video been created solely for the purpose of promoting the game? I'm happy to watch an awesome CG trailer, but I'll skip it if it's all footage taken from the story mode.

That CG trailer was made a very long time ago, before the game was even announced, if I had to guess, it was going to be the announcement trailer, but they decided to go with in game footage instead, to show it was 2D and all that, and just never got around to releasing it.

Frankfurt

Banned
So the CG trailer isn't in the game? I hope it's in the Krypt at least... I hate when cool stuff doesn't make into the game. $60 bones, people! Don't make cool shit and just air it on tv or Youtube, damn it!

Halo trailers, Alan Wake shorts... It's like they don't even know what the word "planning" means.

lupinko said:
Hey guys, what's cookin'?

Every time you show up I expect good news, lupinko... But I know there aren't any now... ;_;

DryEyeRelief said:
? Example?

I've been playing Jax.

Forward BP, Forward BP, Back FP, and then just do a quarter circle backwards (+ FP is optional). You'll skip the uppercut in the target combo and go straight into the Air Gotcha Blast causing you to whiff and get punished. That is the best example I have. Even if I am doing the combo slightly too fast this feels like really weird behavior where inputs are being skipped because of negative edge inputs.

Another example... When doing Forward BP, Forward BP, Down-Forward FP. A lot of the time the Dash Fist (DF BP) will come out instead of the Gotcha Beatdown (DF FP). Again, seems like weird behavior to me due to negative edge inputs. Not a big fan of this.

fernoca

There are a couple of trailers in the game, don't know if that's one of them. But there's a section for them. Remember seeing the E3 trailer, Kratos reveal I think was there, and a few others.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
fernoca said:
There are a couple of trailers in the game, don't know if that's one of them. But there's a section for them. Remember seeing the E3 trailer, Kratos reveal I think was there, and a few others.

Kratos reveal trailer in The Krypt? Wonder what that'll be replaced by in the 360 version.

fernoca

Seraphis Cain said:
Kratos reveal trailer in The Krypt? Wonder what that'll be replaced by in the 360 version.
Not in the Krypt..I think. I remember seeing a trailers section so I guess all trailers are there unlocked or something. :p

DrDogg

Teknopathetic said:
It's worth noting that the SF4 (Vanilla) strategy guide had Zangief 2nd, Fei Long 4th, Akuma like 9th or some such, Cammy 4th from bottom, C. Viper 5th from bottom, and Blanka in A tier.

A little late, but to be fair, that tier list was based heavily on the Japanese tier list at the time the guide was printed.

"A little late, but to be fair, that tier list was based heavily on the Japanese tier list at the time the guide was printed."

I'm not saying that the strategy guide author didn't know anything. It was more that new games with new mechanics take a long time to settle as people figure things out. What a majority of people would've agreed with as an accurate tier list for Vanilla didn't come about until like a year or so after the game was out in arcades.

The same thing even happened with SSF4 where everyone thought the new additions were all top 10 leading up to the release, which was obviously not the case at all. That was with a game that people had a year and a half's worth of experience playing.

Kalnos

Banned
Any stick recommendations? I haven't played a fighter since SFIV in 2009, and I sold the stick for cash I needed at the time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gary Whitta said:
Ballmer. You heard it here first.

FATALITIES FATALITIES FATALITIES FATALITIES FATALITIES FATALITIES FATALITIES FATALITIES

steve-ballmer-sweaty-developers.jpg

derFeef said:
It has been confirmed that they are unlockable (spoiler thread), but you need to work a bit more for them.
There is still no confirmation that playable retro costumes are in the game, only theories. No retro costumes have been gotten by anyone so far who has the game early. Unless they are super hidden or will come later as DLC, because it doesn't look like they're in the krpyt. Don't post absolutes unless you have proof (PICS) to back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom