• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha_Tango

Neo Member
fernoca said:
There are a couple of trailers in the game, don't know if that's one of them. But there's a section for them. Remember seeing the E3 trailer, Kratos reveal I think was there, and a few others.

I loved watching the various CG trailers from MVC3 so I'm glad that there's a section for trailers in MK as well. I hope that CG trailer is in there in HD quality. They are great to show off to friends.

Tokubetsu

Yaboosh said:
Is it just me, or do the Xray moves seem to interrupt the fast pace of the matches?

They do but I think that's kinda the point. They're the MK equivalent of ultras. Do you waste the whole bar on one or save the meter for breaking combos etc?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Tokubetsu said:
They do but I think that's kinda the point. They're the MK equivalent of ultras. Do you waste the whole bar on one or save the meter for breaking combos etc?

I get the risk vs reward aspect of the system, and yea ultras were pretty much exactly the same, but just watching a few matches, it seems that Xrays have a more jarring impact on pacing than ultras did.

Aske

That CG trailer is magnificent. I can confirm no spoilers for anyone still on the fence. Scorpion's fatality and Sub-Zero paying tribute to Gears of War with Mileena's face are things no MK fan should miss.

And as for the retro stuff...hot damn. Enough with the roller coaster ride of emotions. We need an official OT spoiler thread liaison officer to keep us up to date with this stuff.

LowParry

I may be able to find this tomorrow. Depends on a few things. Though between this and the Gears 3 beta, gonna be hard to pick which one to focus on. Hells bells.

Pengew

Kalnos said:
Any stick recommendations? I haven't played a fighter since SFIV in 2008, and I sold the stick for cash I needed at the time.

How the hell did you get SFIV a year early? I am just using my old TE.

fernoca

It's koming!!!

hYZEk.png

Shaneus

Best videogame movie ever. It was *just* canon enough and the characters were actually believable in their roles. Fucking loved it as a kid, love it now.

fernoca

Nemesis556 said:
Why does Sonya look like an angry hobo?
:p
She was abducted by Shang Tsung and taken to Outworld, they just returned from Outworld.

But don't worry, she had enough time to get a haircut, some makeup, a white shirt and hotpants by the 2 minutes it took to Shao Kahn to come down. :p

Shao Kahn: Bow to me!!
Sonya: Oh shit guys Why didn't you told me?!! ! I wasn't ready for guests!! BRB!!

0k2TW.png

She shows the same talent later after fighting Mileena and ending covered in mud, to appear clean like new the next scene. Guess she has that secret power. :p

Wark

I guess a mom-and-pop shop about an hour and a half away from me may be selling the game early. Supposedly, they'll tell people on the phone that they don't have it, but they'll sell it to you if you're in the store. I don't know if I should wait until Tuesday, but I guess it doesn't hurt to call them when they open up later today.

Shaneus said:
Best videogame movie ever. It was *just* canon enough and the characters were actually believable in their roles. Fucking loved it as a kid, love it now.

Agreed. This is probably my all time favorite video game movie. I can still watch and enjoy the movie today. Sadly, I can't say the same about the sequel. I remember being so disappointed after leaving the theater when I was little. Granted, the movie was jam packed full of characters from the series, I still remember how sloppily the characters were introduced; in and out just for the sake of having them in the film.

Nemesis_

fernoca said:
:p
She was abducted by Shang Tsung and taken to Outworld, they just returned from Outworld.

But don't worry, she had enough time to get a haircut, some makeup, a white shirt and hotpants by the 2 minutes it took to Shao Kahn to come down. :p

Shao Kahn: Bow to me!!
Sonya: Oh shit guys Why didn't you told me?!! ! I wasn't ready for guests!! BRB!!

0k2TW.png

She shows the same talent later after fighting Mileena and ending covered in mud, to appear clean like new the next scene. Guess she has that secret power. :p

That's pretty hilarious, though I never noticed that happened till you brought it up. Not to mention she became a different freaking person.

Aske

I bet these guys are hyped as rabid dogs right now. They're all crowded around a PS3 playing the demo, and every single one if them is maining Johnny Cage.
I picture one of them poorly cosplaying as Cyrax. The others are ignoring him.

http://linkuei.com/

The original Lin Kuei were one family, that lived in solitude in and about the forests of northern China. The time of their origin is subject to debate, but is believed to go back to the Shang Dynasty or possibly earlier. Their anonymity was made possible by their relatively small size and antisocial tendencies. Their lifestyle was not unlike that of the Native Americans or Aborigines. They spent their days studying nature and hunting for food. From time to time they would abduct villagers who then became part of their band, when their numbers grew too small.

Over the centuries they developed superb hunting skills that transitioned quite readily into vicious fighting abilities when the need arose. Slowly the band became more warlike, preferring theft to foraging and hunting for provisions. Their skills took an ugly turn and survival assumed a cloak of mayhem.

After encounters with the occasional wandering Mongolian and an Indian monk, the Lin Kuei’s knowledge was categorized, but still left in it’s natural structure. The once peaceful family had become a small but ruthless band of warriors preying on random villages. Vagabonds, they moved on when a village was depleted of resources, eventually setting-up camp in a new location chosen for certain strategic advantages. From time to time they would send “scouts” into a village to gather information, but generally preferred to use their skills in stealthy reconnaissance.  This went on in one form or another approximately until the eighteenth century.

From the home page:

This site is not affiliated with the game Mortal Kombat, or any of it’s characters in any manner whatsoever.

...Except Sub-Zero, obviously, because he is a Lin Kuei, and these guys are Lin Kuei too!!! The author must have forgotten that part.

Tokubetsu

Cyrax's alt is fucking awesome. Can you even call it an alt? Too much work and love went into that.
And as a black player, cool to see another brother in the game =) (and one that isn't some super patriotic military dude)

derFeef

Tokubetsu said:
Cyrax's alt is fucking awesome. Can you even call it an alt? Too much work and love went into that.
And as a black player, cool to see another brother in the game =) (and one that isn't some super patriotic military dude)
Yeah I love how he looks. Very awesome how this "costume" has different animations and all that.

Anyone know if Noob's alt is how he looks at the start of Story Mode (as human Sub-Zero) or is that younger Sub-Zero's alt?

I love how they made Raiden vs Raiden look exactly like MK2 with the second one being red. Hector mentioned he really wanted that in during the launch party.

Also, last night I was playing all of the old MKs on my TV and I noticed that the music mix was a lot lower than I remembered it. Not too far from MK9. Perhaps the original home ports (Genesis, DOS, SNES, PSX) were the only ones that had the music cranked up.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
CcrooK said:
I may be able to find this tomorrow. Depends on a few things. Though between this and the Gears 3 beta, gonna be hard to pick which one to focus on. Hells bells.

Yeah, unfortunately I may be joining the MK party a bit late due to Gears 3.

I'm not in a rush to jump on the Gears 3 beta. I have tons of things to play (Crysis 2, ACB DLC, ME2 DLC, DA2 and in about 40 hours Portal 2), but I need MK NOW!

Truphenom

Just found out about the character vignettes, came to gaf to see if there were more and stumbled upon this glorious thread. Cant believe my hype shot up so fast!

For those who have asked "PS3 or XBox", what have you settled on? I dont think Ive EVER been this torn on a multiplatform release. I usually get multiplatform games on the XBox, but Kratos and the Dualshock's D-Pad is putting up a battle in my mind against XBL and my larger friends list and my general XBox preference. Just curious, have the PS3 version preordered..... for right now.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Haven't been following this game much so can someone tell me what's the deal with Kratos? I know you can't play him in the story mode but is he available in the regular ladder and tag ladder mode?

Xater

Guts Of Thor said:
Haven't been following this game much so can someone tell me what's the deal with Kratos? I know you can't play him in the story mode but is he available in the regular ladder and tag ladder mode?

Yes.

TreIII

_tetsuo_ said:
This game is officially 2D Tekken. I can only play it on Playstation Pad :lol

Ye-up. :lol

Ever since MK4, it was apparent that Boon's love of Tekken had rolled over into his own series. Thankfully, by MKvDC and now this game, it seemed like the team finally found a means that incorporated that much while still staying true to the MK roots.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Xater said:

Cool! Thanks!

What is the correct install size? I've heard some people saying 4 gigs while on this forum people are saying it's only 1 gig? I only have 10gigs left on my PS3 so I have to be very selective.

TheApatheticOne said:
For those who have asked "PS3 or XBox", what have you settled on? I dont think Ive EVER been this torn on a multiplatform release. I usually get multiplatform games on the XBox, but Kratos and the Dualshock's D-Pad is putting up a battle in my mind against XBL and my larger friends list and my general XBox preference. Just curious, have the PS3 version preordered..... for right now.
FYI the transforming dpad 360 controller is on sale right now. If you have more friends on 360 go for that. With umk3 I'm infinitely better with the new dpad. Actually won some games online today and my execution is alright on it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This game has probably the best stages in fighting game history.

xASuV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom