• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TreIII said:
YouTube - MK9 REO (Kabal) VS Dark Rob (Reptile) Part 1
YouTube - MK9 REO (Kabal) VS Dark Rob (Reptile) Part 2

Set of matches between REO (Season's Beatings: Redemption UMK3 Champion) and Dark Rob. (Audio synch is bad, but w/e)

For an early glimpse of what high-level play for this game will start looking like, look no further. Go Reptile!
I can see kabal being popular, speed and reach in his attacks, reptile has some strong combos against the wall.

Good 24% from reptile in video 2 using acid balls.

Sn4ke_911 said:
This game has probably the best stages in fighting game history.

http://i.imgur.com/xASuV.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The MK2 Portal is the one stage out of the MK1-3 stages that didn't make it (or at least hasn't been spoiled yet) which is sorely missed. I would've even settled for the MK Deadly Alliance Portal which is also pretty sweet.

fernoca

infinityBCRT said:
Anyone know if Noob's alt is how he looks at the start of Story Mode (as human Sub-Zero) or is that younger Sub-Zero's alt?
Yes/No. Not a big spoiler, just about the costumes...
Noob's alt is the same of the original Sub-Zero at the beginning..BUT...all black. Sub-Zero (younger) is the one that has the older-Sub at the beginning, color-wise.

shagg_187 said:
About the same as any fighting game, to be honest. Play the story modes and see which character you are comfortable with.

Cool, thanks. I've been mainly playing SF when it came to fighting games. Stories for them sucked, imo.

The Int3rsect said:
Cool, thanks. I've been mainly playing SF when it came to fighting games. Stories for them sucked, imo.

LOL. Yeah, the thing with Street Fighter story is that it's all individualism and no revolving story. MK has a nice revolving story where every character is interlinked with one another. In this Mortal Kombat, it's the most since it's practically them trying to change the future so they are all working together. There are in-game cutscenes before and after every match, so it's pretty cool in this case.

The Int3rsect said:
Easier than SF or, dare I say, Marvel?

It's a mix of Tekken and Street Fighter. Tekken when it comes to mashing buttons/combos and Street Fighter when it comes to special moves, EX attacks or dash, etc etc.

Yeah, it's quite easy to get into but as every fighter, it's always challenging to master.

Sn4ke_911 said:

Alpha 2

0VRsf.png

Ny6P5.png

6lytX.gif

uu12y.png

MrPliskin

Banned
Aske said:
That CG trailer is magnificent. I can confirm no spoilers for anyone still on the fence. Scorpion's fatality and Sub-Zero paying tribute to Gears of War with Mileena's face are things no MK fan should miss.

And as for the retro stuff...hot damn. Enough with the roller coaster ride of emotions. We need an official OT spoiler thread liaison officer to keep us up to date with this stuff.

lol, I don't think he was paying tribute to Gears of War :p

The trailer is fucking amazing though, I just don't know if I can dive in at $59.99 day one. Portal 2 is begging me to play it, and honestly that's all I'm really interested in at this point. I've had enough fighters over the last few years, unfortunately, so MK is going to have to wait until it's considerably cheaper :(

TreIII

God's Beard said:

Ah, Alpha 2. Still my fave SF game of all time, and right behind JJBA in being my fave Capcom fighter. ^_^

But any way, yeah, this MK definitely has some of the best BGs in any fighter yet. That much goes without saying.

RS4-

The Int3rsect said:
What's the learning curve like for MK? I'm pretty new to the series. :\

I wouldn't say it's that bad. I think if you come from a SF background, you need to rely less on specials in 9 since they are highly punishable on block. And the combo system isn't something you can really bring from SF either.

shagg_187 said:
LOL. Yeah, the thing with Street Fighter story is that it's all individualism and no revolving story. MK has a nice revolving story where every character is interlinked with one another. In this Mortal Kombat, it's the most since it's practically them trying to change the future so they are all working together. There are in-game cutscenes before and after every match, so it's pretty cool in this case.

It's a mix of Tekken and Street Fighter. Tekken when it comes to mashing buttons/combos and Street Fighter when it comes to special moves, EX attacks or dash, etc etc.

Yeah, it's quite easy to get into but as every fighter, it's always challenging to master.

Haha yeah. Any kind of story in a fighting game is almost non-existent. The MK story is what's really pulling me in.

Duffyside

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
I appreciate the nostalgia, but... no? They're incredibly bland. I can think of so many games that have so awesome stuff going on in their stages, but the one that leaps out to me at the moment would be the Capcom vs. SNK games, particularly 2.

fernoca

canadian crowe said:
I haven't really been following the costume spoilers but is
maskless Sub Zero in?
Not at the moment, maybe DLC, maybe a really big secret.

EDIT:
Damn you Lamonster!! From my mother's basement I stab at thee!!!! >:eek:!

fernoca said:
Not at the moment, maybe DLC, maybe a really big secret.

EDIT:
Damn you Lamonster!! From my mother's basement I stab at thee!!!! >:eek:!
ahhh, I remember the mother's basement days. I do not miss them!

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Fuck it. I went ahead and pre-ordered on Amazon. Had a $25 credit so the game will cost me $35. Been playing the demo a lot lately and having fun with it so might as well just buy the full game.

TreIII said:
YouTube - MK9 REO (Kabal) VS Dark Rob (Reptile) Part 1
YouTube - MK9 REO (Kabal) VS Dark Rob (Reptile) Part 2

Set of matches between REO (Season's Beatings: Redemption UMK3 Champion) and Dark Rob. (Audio synch is bad, but w/e)

For an early glimpse of what high-level play for this game will start looking like, look no further. Go Reptile!

Wow, Kabal is sick. Reptile isn't too bad either. These matches got me interested.

Have we gotten any feedback from them or other pros about what they think about the game.

And this game definitely has the most and best backgrounds in a 2.5D in a long time.

fernoca

Re: Online
We'll know for sure after Tuesday.
For all we know the current lag-reports could be related to not all servers/whatevers been functioning, just a few for the reviews copies (same way in some games people can't play online until the game's officially released), or just general things that will be patched; since they say there will be a "day one patch" that fixes some of the things/infinites "early adopters" have found.

KAL2006

Banned
fernoca said:
Re: Online
We'll know for sure after Tuesday.
For all we know the current lag-reports could be related to not all servers/whatevers been functioning, just a few for the reviews copies (same way in some games people can't play online until the game's officially released), or just general things that will be patched; since they say there will be a "day one patch" that fixes some of the things/infinites "early adopters" have found.

OK cool, I'm still waiting to find out how good online is before I decide to buy this, if the online is shit I can easily borrow the game from a friends and do all the singleplayer shit. So I guess I have to wait till Tuesday before I decide if I want to preorder.

TreIII

Spiderjericho said:
Wow, Kabal is sick. Reptile isn't too bad either. These matches got me interested.

Have we gotten any feedback from them or other pros about what they think about the game.

And this game definitely has the most and best backgrounds in a 2.5D in a long time.

A lot of it is positive so far. I don't think MK9 will force UMK3 into retirement by any means, but this likely will shape up to be a solid game for the MK competitive scene to rally behind, and help MK get some nice street cred.

One thing is definite though. This game ensures MKvDC's demise. :lol

fernoca

KAL2006 said:
OK cool, I'm still waiting to find out how good online is before I decide to buy this, if the online is shit I can easily borrow the game from a friends and do all the singleplayer shit. So I guess I have to wait till Tuesday before I decide if I want to preorder.
There's also the region-lock thing, which hasn't been mentioned yet. In your case that you're in the UK, the game may have problems (or not) when it launches in the US this Tuesday, but doesn't mean that it will be the same (good or bad) in PAL-territories in Thursday.

So we'll also have to wait for reports from gamers from different regions and their experiences, to see if there's a difference in netcode by region, or if it sucks in each of them. :p

Lettuce

Anyone know the best levels to have the audio at on the PS3 version, the music is SOOOO low, just wondered if anyone had figure out what best settings to havethe other 4 audio levels at if you have the music setting up all the way?

MrMephistoX

TheApatheticOne said:
For those who have asked "PS3 or XBox", what have you settled on? I dont think Ive EVER been this torn on a multiplatform release. I usually get multiplatform games on the XBox, but Kratos and the Dualshock's D-Pad is putting up a battle in my mind against XBL and my larger friends list and my general XBox preference. Just curious, have the PS3 version preordered..... for right now.
I have more real life friends on Live too but always went with PS3 for fighters because of GaF Chat.

Aske

GrayFoxPL said:
Mah fight moneh! :(

I feel so stupid buying version with "dlc". Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Don't feel stupid just yet. Yesterday, the thread went like this:

Exchange the first, between players whose names are lost in the mists of time...

- Holy shit! Just unlocked Classic Reptile in the Krypt! Retro costumes in game, probably fatalities too!

- Nope. You just unlocked his regular alt.

- : 0

Exchange the second: Annihilation

derFeef: Retro costumes are unlockable, they just require extra work to get. Spoiler thread has all the deets!

Aske: Please tell us more, you magnificent bastard!

Mr. E. Yis: Retro costumes haven't been konfirmed yet, all your cherished OT beliefs are built on a foundation of lies!

...So we still don't really know, unless it's since been confirmed either way in the spoiler thread.

fernoca

Aske said:
...So we still don't really know, unless it's since been confirmed either way in the spoiler thread.
Not unlockable in the Krypt at least. Someone from TRMK unlocked everything in it. Also seems you can only perform retro-Fatalities while wearing the retro-costume.

EDIT:
Damn you notworksafe! >:O!

notworksafe

:p

Also you can do at least one retro fatality (spoiler of fatality)
Scorpion's Toasty
while wearing an alt kostume, but not the regular kostume.

MrMephistoX

GrayFoxPL said:
kvn.jpg
HHp.gif
hVF.png

Mah fight moneh! :(

I feel so stupid buying version with "dlc". Stupid, stupid, stupid!

E21.jpg
From the spoiler thread it looks like the classic alts are not in the Krypt but may be unlockable with certain win conditions: think Santa flying across the moon, two flawless victories and a fatality. If true I'd almost prefer it this way...very old school.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Had a chance to play this all day yesterday... Wow, the game is amazing. It still surprises me how excited and hyped I am over a Mortal Kombat game. I only played through the single player campaign, didn't get many VS matches in. Oh, and I didn't get a chance to check out the netcode, but here's a few bullet points about my play time.

-The game is FUN! And I can definitely see this being tournament worthy.
-BEST background stages in video game history. THE BEST.
-CONTENT! This game makes MvC3 look so bare bones --time to step up your game Capcom!

n3ss said:
Had a chance to play this all day yesterday... Wow, the game is amazing. It still surprises me how excited and hyped I am over a Mortal Kombat game. I only played through the single player campaign, didn't get many VS matches in. Oh, and I didn't get a chance to check out the netcode, but here's a few bullet points about my play time.

-The game is FUN! And I can definitely see this being tournament worthy.
-BEST background stages in video game history. THE BEST.
-CONTENT! This game makes MvC3 look so bare bones --time to step up your game Capcom!

every post 16-bit fighting game in history probably makes MVC3 seem barebones. i love the game but they obviously phoned most of the features in. ranked matches barely work at all, no spectator mode.

GrayFoxPL

Aske said:
Don't feel stupid just yet. Yesterday, the thread went like this:

Exchange the first, between players whose names are lost in the mists of time...

- Holy shit! Just unlocked Classic Reptile in the Krypt! Retro costumes in game, probably fatalities too!

- Nope. You just unlocked his regular alt.

- : 0

Exchange the second: Annihilation

derFeef: Retro costumes are unlockable, they just require extra work to get. Spoiler thread has all the deets!

Aske: Please tell us more, you magnificent bastard!

Mr. E. Yis: Retro costumes haven't been konfirmed yet, all your cherished OT beliefs are built on a foundation of lies!

Ah, I'm not visiting spoiler thread so I don't know. Good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom