• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Watched the stream for about three minutes, saw two rage quitters, gave up. I just wanted to see ONE fatality without spoiling too much, but couldn't even get that far. :lol

G-Fex

vatstep said:
Watched the stream for about three minutes, saw two rage quitters, gave up. I just wanted to see ONE fatality without spoiling too much, but couldn't even get that far. :lol

I love how Kitana can still do that one combo of the fan wave to the jump and toss fan in air from MK2.

Barrage

vatstep said:

Just missed one.

G-Fex

God I love how entertaining the matches are, it's so amazing when people can just time it right and do a awesome combo. It's like watching the old MK in the arcades again.

RS4- said:
Phew, you can skip cutscenes after you finish story mode. Not sure why you'd want to play it again though lol. No chapter select either.
Harder difficulty?

----

I'm trying to work out the MK winners in my head...

MK1 - Liu Kang
MK2 - Liu Kang
MK3 - Liu Kang
MK4 - Liu Kang
MKDA - Inconclusive (final fight between Quan Chi/Shang Tsung interrupted)
MKD - ????
MKA - Taven

Who won MKD? Was there a winner? Is there any ending from MKD which could be the right one? I guess it could be Shujinko. He defeated Onaga which presumably restored Reptile to his self, and then somehow Onaga was reincarnated again.

fernoca

Yeah, Shujinko was "the winner".

Problem with the MK-cannon is that the story as far as a tournament goes doesn't make sense, hence why they choosing a winner it's really weird:
MKI: Tournament (Liu Kang won)
MKII: Fake tournament (Liu Kang won..but..)
MK3: Earth invaded (Liu Kang defeated Shao Kahn)
MK4: Edenia invaded, Earth in danger (Liu Kang defeated Shinnok)
MKDA: Fake tournament (Li Mei won) / Everything else Quan Chi/Shang Tsung won
MKD: Realms in danger (Shujinko defeated Onaga)
MKA: Rise of the pyramid, realms unbalanced (Shao Kahn won -seeing him with Blaze's essence-)

Yet in the cannon, the have Liu Kang "winning" MK from MK1 through 4, but the only "official tournament" was the first one he won. The rest were either fakes, or some kind of all-out-battle were someone screamed "Mortal Kombat" and that alone initiated a tournament (god forbid the moronic elder gods being like "WTF going on with all this tournament in less than a year, shouldn't we do something?").

Kinda like in Pokemon you initiate a battle by having eye contact with someone; guess MK tournaments work like that too. :p

fernoca said:
Yeah, Shujinko was "the winner".

Problem with the MK-cannon is that the story as far as a tournament goes doesn't make sense, hence why they choosing a winner it's really weird:
MKI: Tournament (Liu Kang won)
MKII: Fake tournament (Liu Kang won..but..)
MK3: Earth invaded (Liu Kang defeated Shao Kahn)
MK4: Edenia invaded, Earth in danger (Liu Kang defeated Shinnok)
MKDA: Fake tournament (Li Mei won) / Everything else Quan Chi/Shang Tsung won
MKD: Realms in danger (Shujinko defeated Onaga)
MKA: Rise of the pyramid, realms unbalanced (Shao Kahn won -seeing him with Blaze's essence-)

Yet in the cannon, the have Liu Kang "winning" MK from MK1 through 4, but the only "official tournament" was the first one he won. The rest were either fakes, or some kind of all-out-battle were someone screamed "Mortal Kombat" and that alone initiated a tournament (god forbid the moronic elder gods being like "WTF going on with all this tournament in less than a year, shouldn't we do something?").

Kinda like in Pokemon you initiate a battle by having eye contact with someone; guess MK tournaments work like that too. :p

Heh. I guess they could explain it away by the "rules" that were set by the Elder Gods on Shao Kahn. They made it so that Outworld had to win 10 tournaments in a row against Earth to take over Earth, and those tournaments were spaced out by 100 years. After Shao Kahn lost he could initiate the cycle again at any time and Earth's warriors HAD to come and fight (as said in the MK2 intro) but he never won another tournament after that. But then Shujinko and Taven went and fucked things up for everyone :p

RS4- said:
Nope, from what I could tell there weren't any extra options; it'd just dive right into the opening story intro.

Right but I'm pretty sure you can set difficulty in the options from the main menu.

Yeah I just finished up story mode. It was pretty damn awesome for a fighting game. It's very cohesive and all the characters have meaning to the main story and aren't throwaways like a lot of other fighing games.

Now I'm gonna tackle the challenge tower :)

NeonZ

Technically, in Armageddon's Konquest ending, everyone gets Blaze's essence and the battle continues. So, it fits with the scenario shown in the beginning of this game, with everyone killing each other during the battle and no Blaze around.

Although I guess one could ask what the hell Taven was doing while everyone killed each other, considering how his story beforehand is basically him going around and beating up everyone else.

MMaRsu

Sblargh said:
Wow, quitting just before a fatality is the height of assholery in this game.

Haha I hate that kind of shit, kind of glad I don't have to deal with that without playing online :p.

Goddamnit! Shoa Khan can be ridiculous at times on Expert. GOD! He literally just came back on me with a full life bar in like 10 seconds. Shoulder Charge, Shoulder Charge, Hammer Projectile, Shoulder Charge, Shoulder Charge, Hammer Sweep, X-Ray, I'm dead :(

MMaRsu

TommyManberg said:
Goddamnit! Shoa Khan can be ridiculous at times on Expert. GOD! He literally just came back on me with a full life bar in like 10 seconds. Shoulder Charge, Shoulder Charge, Hammer Projectile, Shoulder Charge, Shoulder Charge, Hammer Sweep, X-Ray, I'm dead :(

Sounds lame. AKA cheap.

MMaRsu said:
Sounds lame. AKA cheap.

Dude it is! It's as bad as when SF4 first came out and Seth would get you in that looping combo crap.

Actually it's worse because Shoa Khan constantly taunts you. It's not bad when he leaves himself open but it's awful when he does his hammer projectile stun and then taunts; yup folks, he even has a stun attack to rape you more. It also seems only special attacks can knock him back aside from uppercuts. He just absorbs and swings the crap out of his hammer.

The aboslute worst paart though is how much damage he does with all his attacks. Two shoulder charges is like 1/3 of your health. And his X-Ray is even more.

Sblargh

Banned
TommyManberg said:

Shao Kahn, not Shoa Khan. At first I tought it was a typo, but then you kept doing it, so now I am here saving you from being embarassed on the internet.

TommyManberg said:
Dude it is! It's as bad as when SF4 first came out and Seth would get you in that looping combo crap.

Actually it's worse because Shoa Khan constantly taunts you. It's not bad when he leaves himself open but it's awful when he does his hammer projectile stun and then taunts; yup folks, he even has a stun attack to rape you more. It also seems only special attacks can knock him back aside from uppercuts. He just absorbs and swings the crap out of his hammer.

The aboslute worst paart though is how much damage he does with all his attacks. Two shoulder charges is like 1/3 of your health. And his X-Ray is even more.
Just got to learn his pattern, MK bosses are tanks but predictable. You have to fight them like Megaman bosses rather than fighting game characters. The guy on the stream beat him on expert with Kitanna in two tries; he is doing an Ermac run through now.

G-Fex

TommyManberg said:

FEEL THE POWER OF SHAO KHAN

Tokubetsu

Sektors xray is great too. Man, somehow they managed to make the cyborgs even cooler/menacing.

EDIT: Also, feel like Kung Lao's teleport kind got shafted. Seems way more telegraphed than everyone elses (scropion, ermac, etc)

Sblargh said:
Shao Kahn, not Shoa Khan. At first I tought it was a typo, but then you kept doing it, so now I am here saving you from being embarassed on the internet.

You really contributed to this thread with that post. And lol@ potentially being embarassed on the internet.

Shao Khan still sucks.

Chairhome

TommyManberg said:
You really contributed to this thread with that post. And lol@ potentially being embarassed on the internet.

Shao Khan still sucks.
Well I was going to say it, too. It was annoying reading you spell it wrong when you said he was going to be your main. He's just trying to help you save face.

NeonZ said:
Technically, in Armageddon's Konquest ending, everyone gets Blaze's essence and the battle continues. So, it fits with the scenario shown in the beginning of this game, with everyone killing each other during the battle and no Blaze around.

Although I guess one could ask what the hell Taven was doing while everyone killed each other, considering how his story beforehand is basically him going around and beating up everyone else.

Very small spoiler for the first 5 minutes of the Story mode (I've only watched the intro)

Raiden fighting Taven is the first flashback that you see in Raiden's strange visions. That probably means that just before fighting Shao Kahn, Raiden defeated Taven. Which presumably means Taven probably defeated Blaze before that.

Guys seriously, calm the hell down with this, "saving face" "embarasment on teh internetz" thing. It's not a big deal. If I want to call Shao Kahn, Shoa Khan I can okay. Maybe I'm dyslexic.

Wow at all the folks blindly giving players 0-1.0 respect points after king of the hill matches.

Yeah... have fun with that achievement.*

*To those who care

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Kinda disappointed that you still get the "Round #....FIGHT!" voice over when fighting Shao Kahn and it's not replaced with him talking shit. Always thought that was a nice touch in MK2 :(

Yeah, mad nitpicking, but still.

MMaRsu

TommyManberg said:

Shao Khan still sucks.

He was being sarcastic...

But still if you want to main someone learn his name I guess :p

Lost Fragment said:
Kinda disappointed that you still get the "Round #....FIGHT!" voice over when fighting Shao Kahn and it's not replaced with him talking shit. Always thought that was a nice touch in MK2 :(

Yeah, mad nitpicking, but still.
I completely agree. i also miss him saying "I Win" after matches.

Nelo Ice said:
anyone else getting the KE?

after watching some unboxing vids think i may keep my preorder

I cancelled my TE for the KE because I figured I didn't really need another stick. Plus I wanted the art book. Then when the TE was sold out everywhere but Walmart I cracked and ordered one from there. Now I'm getting both lol

Frankfurt

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
story mode is one thing (although ridiculous, it's a fucking fighting game)

So what defines it is the genre, then? Not the amount of plot? So spoiling an action game with 30 minutes of story is bad, but a fighter with 6 hours of story is fine?

Sblargh

Banned
Frankfurt said:
So what defines it is the genre, then? Not the amount of plot? So spoiling an action game with 30 minutes of story is bad, but a fighter with 6 hours of story is fine?

Story mode is really 6 hours? You want me to overhype?

BamYouHaveAids said:
Here is a stream of a guy doing ladder/tag on expert, he is better than the other guy http://www.justin.tv/quebecstreetfighterdotcom#/w/1094761600/3

Also lol on fighting game spoilers, in vs matches of all things. You people are nuts, story mode is one thing (although ridiculous, it's a fucking fighting game) but a versus match considered a spoiler? Crazy!

It seems like anyone who hasn't played Deception or who doesn't know about the Story mode in MK9 (2+ hours of cutscenes alone) can't really adjust to the idea that fighting games can be more than just a game where two guys pick a fighter and fight.

Yes, there are spoilers. Some of the spoilery stuff from Story mode results in spoilery stuff being unlocked for the main game.

Sblargh said:
Story mode is really 6 hours? You want me to overhype?

I think 6 hours is the general consensus I'm hearing out of some of the guys who got it early plus most of the devs from NRS. A few have put it up to 8 hours or so... I'm guessing it takes longer than 6 hours if you have trouble beating some of the opponents.

Nelo Ice said:
anyone else getting the KE?

after watching some unboxing vids think i may keep my preorder
I have the KE ordered since the moment it appeared :p uk ver so no book ends just a cool figure.

MKKE360.jpg

After seeing some unboxing videos of the book ends though I do like the look of them, no idea why everything is mixed up with most pal places getting a steelbook while the uk does not, and different KE figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom