• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaijima said:
Nostalgia Age: The fact that MK2 had such a huge ad campaign and a very specific release date was unique among games back then. Most of the time, especially as a kid, you didn't know exactly when a hot game would really show up in local stores.

I remember waiting at the Best Buy at the Crossroads Mall in Oklahoma City, OK that morning when they should have been putting the SNES and Genesis copies of MKII out. Turned into a bit of a situation, as at first they didn't have them out, and said they didn't actually have the game at all.

Turns out, they had received one small box of both versions and not the large number of copies alloted that store. Maybe 6 genesis and 10 SNES.

There were at least that many people waiting around for it, so the guy in charge of software decided to see if we could be civil, brought out their limited number of copies, and let people see what version they wanted to take until we had it sorted that everyone was able to get a copy for a console they owned.

It actually worked out and everyone went home happy. (I got an SNES edition.)

i only had a genesis growing up and i remember i was always jealous of my SNES owning friends over MK2 because MK2 had much better sound. like when you uppercut someone they actually screamed out.

You've got to be kidding me. They didn't disable the ability to pause while at the Finish Him/Her screen? Did these fucks never play UMK3 online?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
AnEternalEnigma said:
You've got to be kidding me. They didn't disable the ability to pause while at the Finish Him/Her screen? Did these fucks never play UMK3 online?

Pretty sure when you play online, the game still goes on even while the pause screen is up.

Seraphis Cain said:
Pretty sure when you play online, the game still goes on even while the pause screen is up.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about people ragequitting like little bitches right before you do a fatality.

fernoca

AnEternalEnigma said:
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about people ragequitting like little bitches right before you do a fatality.
When people rage-quit they don't need a menu to do so, so even removing pause only during a fatality could be override by pressing the reset button.

Still, the TrueSkill Ranking goes down, so guess they don't care about the leaderboard rankings, and just play for the sake of winning.

In my case, I'm ready for my impending 0 (W) - 10 (L)..so I guess I'll be the training dummy of many. :p

Nelo Ice

Banned
Square Triangle said:
My store received the Kollector's Editions in the other day and frankly- it's really cheap looking. =/ The book ends are really poorly crafted, I wish they released the art book in another form.

gah why did i have to read this *goes back to wondering whether to keep amazon preorder*

Khezu

Test your might started putting up some character guides, right now reptile, kung lao, liu kang, sub-zero, kabal, smoke, nightwolf, noob, raiden.

Kung lao and smoke seem kinda crazy.

Teknoman

I'd say teleports or just the old school timed jump should get past spamming here.
EDIT: Yeah the SNES version of MK II was awesome compared to the Genesis. Guess they needed to "redeem" themselves after the altered fatalities and sweat of MK1.

Aske

Nelo Ice said:
gah why did i have to read this *goes back to wondering whether to keep amazon preorder*

Every physical pack in with every game CE gets called cheap crap by someone at some point. It's best to compare the numbers of people who like the KE bookends with those who don't. So far, this is the only negative reaction I've read. I just hate that I'll have to wait for my KE to ship before I can play the game.

Fingers crossed that Classic Ermac's fatality is his telekinetic bounce explosion...

Nelo Ice

Banned
Aske said:
Every physical pack in with every game CE gets called cheap crap by someone at some point. It's best to compare the numbers of people who like the KE bookends with those who don't. So far, this is the only negative reaction I've read. I just hate that I'll have to wait for my KE to ship before I can play the game.

good point based on what ive seen it looks fine though i can see why it looks cheap
wish any gaffers had the KE early so we could get some impressions lol

Aske

Nelo Ice said:
good point based on what ive seen it looks fine though i can see why it looks cheap
wish any gaffers had the KE early so we could get some impressions lol

You could check out the unboxing video posted a couple of ages ago. I haven't watched it, but you might see some clearer shots of the bookends there.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Aske said:
You could check out the unboxing video posted a couple of ages ago. I haven't watched it, but you might see some clearer shots of the bookends there.

yeah i was the one that posted the unboxing vids :p

looks fine to me but would just like hear impressions from people that have it in their hands

lazybones18 said:
Which mode will you guys try first when you finally pop the game into your console?

Story Mode?
Challenge Tower?
Online?
Training?

Story Mode for sure. Once I'm done that I'll probably alternate between the rest of the modes.

fernoca

lazybones18 said:
Which mode will you guys try first when you finally pop the game into your console?

Story Mode?
Challenge Tower?
Online?
Training?
Story Mode.
Will try to finish it before jumping into other modes.

Aske

lazybones18 said:

Story Mode?
Challenge Tower?
Online?
Training?

Versus! When I'm along with the game for the first time though, has to be story.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
lazybones18 said:

Story Mode?
Challenge Tower?
Online?
Training?

Arcade mode til I get the timing right vs the CPU then Story. I might not touch online after the first day. I'm sure some exploit will be out by day 3.

lazybones18 said:

Story Mode?
Challenge Tower?
Online?
Training?

Definitely training mode to get the feel of the game, then story mode.

SO. HYPED.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The only character I've seen insane combos from is Scorpion. Granted I've only really been watching the stream that was posted last night, and the current Monster Arcade one.

My girlfriend and I decided to first play 1v1 versus with Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero on The Pit, exactly like we've been playing every night for weeks in the demo. That way, it will be easy to notice any differences/upgrades from the demo.

TreIII

lazybones18 said:

Story Mode?
Challenge Tower?
Online?
Training?

Training, then doing dat Arcade Mode Ladder. For the sake of tradition, I MUST endure the likes of whatever Shao Kahn has to offer before I can move on to anything else. :lol

Nelo Ice said:

From each of the PS3 and 360 KE we received they all have paint on Scorpion that is 'leaked' onto other parts of the model. It's screams mass production garbage. It's a little upsetting as I wanted those so bad and the art book, now I'm just going to try to find the art book cheap on ebay.

alstein

notworksafe said:
For those that want to unlock things ASAP, go Story first. It nets you a stupidly huge pile of Koins.

Ok, how much do the unlocks cost? Guessing Quan/Cyber Sub are the most expensive things out there, then alts.

lazybones18 said:
And we have reached the 24hr mark

Let's hope the day goes by fast

I think its more like 34 hours in Canada as there doesn't seem to be any midnight launches here :/. WTF indeed. You'd think Portal 2 + MK + SOCOM on the same day would be enough to do one.

W Hudson

notworksafe said:
For those that want to unlock things ASAP, go Story first. It nets you a stupidly huge pile of Koins.

Do you happen to know if you get more Koins if you play at a higher difficulty level?

notworksafe

W Hudson said:
Do you happen to know if you get more Koins if you play at a higher difficulty level?
Story only has one difficulty, unless that is buried in a menu somewhere. I've only played normal on Arcade so I can't comment on that.

The Lamonster said:
Is that the only way to unlock them?
Story mode is the only way I know of to get them. (Character unlock spoilers)
You get CSZ in Chapter 13 and Quan Chi when you finish Story.

sdornan said:
The best part of pre-order bonuses is...

selling them to pay for almost half of your game.

I think it all depends on which retailer DLC you're planning on selling. The Gamestop one won't be worth .10 cents.

lazybones18 said:

Story Mode?
Challenge Tower?
Online?
Training?
Training, then a bit of story mode for unlocks/koins then online.

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
haha I edited when I realized I didn't care about the female klassic kostumes.
Snap! I went with the Amazon preorder for PS3, because I'll be playing PS3 more and I HATE the new Reptile.

strideramc

The Lamonster said:
haha I edited when I realized I didn't care about the female klassic kostumes.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny that you were willing to pay for 3 identical character costumes just in different colors.

damn that's nice

"In the original games, Pressing Up + Start in The Pit-stages during specific matches, unlocked a secret. What does he does in this new one?...noone knows...yet."

A+ thread

strideramc

I think the klassic kostumes will be released as DLC later on. Similar to how the retailer exclusive characters in Transformers: War for Cybertron were handled.

strideramc said:
I think the klassic kostumes will be released as DLC later on. Similar to how the retailer exclusive characters in Transformers: War for Cybertron were handled.
Maybe they're waiting until they're done with the DLC characters. That way, they can release the DLC characters, and release the retailer exclusive characters for $10.
Yeah right! :(

lazybones18 said:

Story Mode?
Challenge Tower?
Online?
Training?
Going through the Ladder, then Story Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom