• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 360 KE on pre-order. Almost feel like downgrading to the regular edition though. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with those bookends :p.

Cruzader

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
I have the 360 KE on pre-order. Almost feel like downgrading to the regular edition though. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with those bookends :p.
Yo hook me up. You could sell em for few bucks or give them away!

Cruzader said:
Yo hook me up. You could sell em for few bucks or give them away!
If I feel like an idiot after unboxing it, I'll let you know, lol

Also, I have to post this here... because this is how I feel about this game
17-Mortal-Kombat-poster-nothing-can-prepare-you.jpg

Tokubetsu

infinityBCRT said:
It seems like anyone who hasn't played Deception or who doesn't know about the Story mode in MK9 (2+ hours of cutscenes alone) can't really adjust to the idea that fighting games can be more than just a game where two guys pick a fighter and fight.

Yes, there are spoilers. Some of the spoilery stuff from Story mode results in spoilery stuff being unlocked for the main game.

I think 6 hours is the general consensus I'm hearing out of some of the guys who got it early plus most of the devs from NRS. A few have put it up to 8 hours or so... I'm guessing it takes longer than 6 hours if you have trouble beating some of the opponents.

That was one of the best things about the PS2 games. You never had to go online to feel like you got your money's worth.

Diablohead said:
I have the KE ordered since the moment it appeared :p uk ver so no book ends just a cool figure.

MKKE360.jpg

After seeing some unboxing videos of the book ends though I do like the look of them, no idea why everything is mixed up with most pal places getting a steelbook while the uk does not, and different KE figures.

I almost wish we got a figure too but book ends are alright.

daffy

Banned
Hey guys, thinking about jumping back in to the fighting game arena after the let down that was MvC3, just wondering if online is fre--
OP said:
*Requires an 'Online Pass', which is included in every new copy at no additional charge*
(Once you're online, the game will generate an unique web-kode. By entering your unique web kode at TheMortalKombat.com you can utilize advanced community features such as social messaging and website profiles)
God dammmit... I wanted to rent..

ethic

FTH said:
Hey guys, thinking about jumping back in to the fighting game arena after the let down that was MvC3, just wondering if online is fre--

You can play online for two days without the pass.

infinityBCRT said:
If I feel like an idiot after unboxing it, I'll let you know, lol

Also, I have to post this here... because this is how I feel about this game
17-Mortal-Kombat-poster-nothing-can-prepare-you.jpg
Say, April 19, 2011 is also the day Skynet goes live according to Terminator fiction.
We are not E

fernoca

FTH said:

There's a trial of at least 48 hours.
No confirmation if it's 48 actual hours or just 2 consecutive days. Though 99% sure it's just 2 days. There's no way they'll give 48 individual hours of use for free. :p

daffy

Banned
ethic said:
You can play online for two days without the pass.
fernoca said:
There's a trial of at least 48 hours.
No confirmation if it's 48 actual hours or just 2 consecutive days. Though 99% sure it's just 2 days. There's no way they'll give 48 individual hours of use for free. :p
Oh, I see! Well that's better than nothing..

Bleepey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMCAayFkfDQ

I wanna go out in the streets and do this. I swear i feel like i am 6 again. I remember when i was a kid and i saw this advert on TV. I used to literally be there with the kids and shut out Mortal Kombat raising my fist in the air. they should remake this ad with all the kids being adults now. heck cut out the SNES footage and replace it with MK9 footage, if only i wasn't so lazy.

NeonZ

infinityBCRT said:
Very small spoiler for the first 5 minutes of the Story mode (I've only watched the intro)

Raiden fighting Taven is the first flashback that you see in Raiden's strange visions. That probably means that just before fighting Shao Kahn, Raiden defeated Taven. Which presumably means Taven probably defeated Blaze before that.

Well...

(Armageddon spoilers)

In Armageddon, Taven beats up Raiden right before the pyramid battle starts - without taking any significant damage at all apparently, which is what breaks the alliance Raiden attempted to make with Shao Khan and makes Raiden go down there to fight in the pyramid battle. That might be what the flashback is referencing.

Although I guess Taven wasn't a good or a popular character, so it's pretty likely his whole story will be just ignored or shoved aside in this new timeline.

Bleepey

I am playing theory fighter.... not sure what the MK equivalent. But i was thinking, won't Kabal have a hell of a time against Mileena. It seems like all her Specials are designed to get around his specials.

Bleepey said:
I am playing theory fighter.... not sure what the MK equivalent. But i was thinking, won't Kabal have a hell of a time against Mileena. It seems like all her Specials are designed to get around his specials.

Mileena can be annoying as hell on expert higher in the ladder. But Baraka is nowhere near as cheap as he was in MK2.

My store received the Kollector's Editions in the other day and frankly- it's really cheap looking. =/ The book ends are really poorly crafted, I wish they released the art book in another form.

thinking back about mk1 and 2 in the arcades and on snes has made me decide to buy the motherfucking shit out of this.

i still remember the issue of EGM that had the fatalities listed. ah, middle school.

Square Triangle said:
My store received the Kollector's Editions in the other day and frankly- it's really cheap looking. =/ The book ends are really poorly crafted, I wish they released the art book in another form.

You must mean the PAL version because the US version is awesome.

scoot3r

fernoca said:
I hope some of you (getting the Kollector's/Tournament) post nice pictures of them. :)

I had actually planned on doing this :) i got the tourney edition. Going to pu tomorrow at midnight ill try and get some on here after i get home

RS4-

Oh yeah, Sonya's xray is pretty damn good as it has armor throughout the whole thing, so it doesn't really get stuffed by normals compared to other xray attacks.

speaking of getting hyped for old games, back in the day i used to tear all magazine pages out that were dedicated to the game, then put them in the clear page holders and have it all organized together. MK and NBA Jam were among the select few that got this treatment.

fernoca

paranoidfortean said:
speaking of getting hyped for old games, back in the day i used to tear all magazine pages out that were dedicated to the game, then put them in the clear page holders and have it all organized together. MK and NBA Jam were among the select few that got this treatment.
Yeah me too. ;)
Another year I put them, but as covers for each notebook. So other students asked to see my notebooks because it was "like reading magazines". XD

Lost Fragment said:
Holy shit they gave Sonya the Stone Cold Stunner.

Also, that crouching fan poke Kitana has looks really annoying.
It's not quite the SCS since she goes down to her knees instead of her ass. Still looks boss, though.

Kalnos said:
Hadouk... wait..

SF4 introduced a lot of ways to deal with the projectile spam. EX moves absorbing hits with armor, FADCs... the Katana fan spam seems relentless. To everyone that plays fighting games on at least a moderate level, what do you think the best way to deal with projectile spam in MK will be? Just on point jump patterns? Countering with special moves that go through (Jade kick), behind (Scorpion tele punch), above (Mileena kick) or under (Sector punch)?

I find it funny that people don't realize the move list switches commands depending on which side you're on. On that stream posted above the guy tried to do Kano's fatality with the command inputs flipped because of that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Nostalgia Age: The fact that MK2 had such a huge ad campaign and a very specific release date was unique among games back then. Most of the time, especially as a kid, you didn't know exactly when a hot game would really show up in local stores.

I remember waiting at the Best Buy at the Crossroads Mall in Oklahoma City, OK that morning when they should have been putting the SNES and Genesis copies of MKII out. Turned into a bit of a situation, as at first they didn't have them out, and said they didn't actually have the game at all.

Turns out, they had received one small box of both versions and not the large number of copies alloted that store. Maybe 6 genesis and 10 SNES.

There were at least that many people waiting around for it, so the guy in charge of software decided to see if we could be civil, brought out their limited number of copies, and let people see what version they wanted to take until we had it sorted that everyone was able to get a copy for a console they owned.

It actually worked out and everyone went home happy. (I got an SNES edition.)

Xevren

ProtoCents said:
SF4 introduced a lot of ways to deal with the projectile spam. EX moves absorbing hits with armor, FADCs... the Katana fan spam seems relentless. To everyone that plays fighting games on at least a moderate level, what do you think the best way to deal with projectile spam in MK will be? Just on point jump patterns? Countering with special moves that go through (Jade kick), behind (Scorpion tele punch), above (Mileena kick) or under (Sector punch)?

Going to vary with each character really. With the EX moves added in the game there will be even more ways to get through them so long as you have decent reaction time. Like if you're willing to burn some meter you can use Kabal's EX Dash to burn straight through projectiles. Some x-rays can go through too.

Sblargh

Banned
ProtoCents said:

Moderate player here
scrub here
Special moves that go through seems to be the better option; lacking that, jumping stuff does not seem as hard in this game as it was on SF4. A wrong jump on SF4 = ultra. A wrong jump here it's an uppercut or a juggle combo. Moving around in the screen sounds a lot safer in this game.
Of course, all of this is just theory kombat... because I dont have the game yet, what else can I do? :(

"SF4 introduced a lot of ways to deal with the projectile spam. EX moves absorbing hits with armor, FADCs... the Katana fan spam seems relentless. To everyone that plays fighting games on at least a moderate level, what do you think the best way to deal with projectile spam in MK will be? Just on point jump patterns? Countering with special moves that go through (Jade kick), behind (Scorpion tele punch), above (Mileena kick) or under (Sector punch)?"

The same way people dealt with projectiles in every other fighting game before (and including) SF4. Patience and knowing your character's options.

It's probably best to take a "wait and see" approach before calling things relentless. The game is full of characters who have various kinds of teleports and runs. In those Kabal/Reptile videos mentioned previously, the Kabal player punished Reptile force ball quite often on reaction with his run and got a beefy combo off it each time.

Whew. Just saw that you can select the arena in King of the Hill mode when you're King. Guessing you should be able to use classic music online that way.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
ProtoCents said:

Jade has a move that makes her invincible to projectiles for a short period if it works anything like it used to.

Kaijima said:
Nostalgia Age: The fact that MK2 had such a huge ad campaign and a very specific release date was unique among games back then. Most of the time, especially as a kid, you didn't know exactly when a hot game would really show up in local stores.

Agreed. I remember having to call KB Toys daily to ask about a game, but then MK2 set a date. September something, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom