• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, what I meant to say is that ask the question in spoiler thread cause a lot of people love to keep it a surprise especially since the game hasn't even released to warrant answering unlockables here. Ed Boon did say that everything is unlockable so I would expect classic skin to be as well, but not as easily as you expect.

Sblargh

Banned
Aske said:
So is this finally confirmation that the classic alts/fatalities can be unlocked in the game? For real this time? Feel free to post how in spoiler tags. If true, this will save me driving across town in rush hour tonight. If not, I get to spend all day trying to choose between Sub-Zero, Reptile and Scorpion like some kind of chump.

No no, in this thread, we don't know or we pretend not to know (I genuinely don't know) because there is a Mortal Kombat spoiler thread where stuff like this is confirmed or not.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Aske said:
So is this finally confirmation that the classic alts/fatalities can be unlocked in the game? For real this time? Feel free to post how in spoiler tags. If true, this will save me driving across town in rush hour tonight. If not, I get to spend all day trying to choose between Sub-Zero, Reptile and Scorpion like some kind of chump.

The opposite of what you just asked is true.

Aske

Seraphis Cain said:
The opposite of what you just asked is true.

Too much to hope that useful purchasing information would be dropped at a time some of us could actually use it.

Nevermind. I'll probably hit up Futureshop to get Reptile.

Sblargh said:
No no, in this thread, we don't know or we pretend not to know (I genuinely don't know) because there is a Mortal Kombat spoiler thread where stuff like this is confirmed or not.

The spoiler thread is for talking about spoilers with impunity. Spoilers can be discussed in this thread as long as the info is
properly tagged
. That way we can find out what we want to know without ruining the surprises by accident.

Seraphis Cain said:
Maaaaan, I hope the AI is better than the demo's. I just noticed that, at least in the demo, the CPU's ONLY reaction to Sub-Zero doing an Ice Clone is to spam projectiles until the clone disappears. Lame.

(But then again, that DOES remind me of old-school Mortal Kombat AI, so maybe it's intentional. :lol)
Mk ai was never great.

At least on the old school ones.

It was freaaking cheap.

Aske said:
Too much to hope that useful purchasing information would be dropped at a time some of us could actually use it.

Nevermind. I'll probably hit up Futureshop to get Reptile.

The spoiler thread is for talking about spoilers with impunity. Spoilers can be discussed in this thread as long as the info is
properly tagged
. That way we can find out what we want to know without ruining the surprises by accident.
Ive got the 360 ke preordered and gamestop but the store opens at 10. Why the heck isn't there a midnight release anywhere in Canada? Earliest you can get it is from a walmart superstore at 7am from what I gather.

Probably won't get any takers but I'm looking for someone who's willing to sell me just the bookends. I'm in Australia so the odds that I'll be able to get a Kollectors Edition via the mail is low, but I was just looking for the bookends anyway (not interested in the artbook or codes). If anyone is willing to help me out, please send it a PM :D

Aske

shagg_187 said:
Tags are suitable if game has released and there is no thread dedicated to spoilers. MK hasn't released yet. That said, I'm getting all classic skins! :D

That's not how this thread has been operating. If that was the case, it would be a matter of spoil nothing, or spoil everything! There are a wealth of links and spoiler-tagged text that I've blissfully ignored. And the retro unlockable topic has been a recurring theme since the thread began. I say this not to argue, but to justify my last couple of posts. There are a number of us in here who would love to know for sure if we can get everything in game, or if we'll have to wait until such a time as it goes on sale as DLC.

Regardless, good to know you're getting everything! I'll buy them if I have to, but I'd rather not: aside from Reptile and Kitana I'm not that fussed about the skins. I need them for the retro fatalities!

infinityBCRT said:
Ive got the 360 ke preordered and gamestop but the store opens at 10. Why the heck isn't there a midnight release anywhere in Canada? Earliest you can get it is from a walmart superstore at 7am from what I gather.

It is irritating, but I can definitely wait a few more hours. Or a lot more hours - I'll probably pick it up at around 6pm on release day. I was prepared to potentially wait until sometime in May when I had the KE on order, so I can deal!

Agh! It's all fine I guess. Don't want to police here, even accidentally :D I get your concern and I'm in the same dilemma concerning preorders.

Just wondering: what's in the Retro Ninja DLC for Kollector's Edition? I mean is it skins for male/female ninja and does it include fatalities?

shagg_187 said:
Agh! It's all fine I guess. Don't want to police here, even accidentally :D

Just wondering: what's in the Retro Ninja DLC for Kollector's Edition? I mean is it skins for male/female ninja and does it include fatalities?
Read the OP ;). Would be surprised if fernoca didn't have that info.

Edit ok looks like he didn't put it there. Scorp, subby and reptile have classic fatalities win the skins

Aske

shagg_187 said:
Agh! It's all fine I guess. Don't want to police here, even accidentally :D I get your concern and I'm in the same dilemma concerning preorders.

Just Ermac - skin and fatality. I'd have been all over it if it was all the retro stuff, bookends be damned!

RS4-

Re: retro fatalities; you can do them as long as you're using the alt costume. ie - scorpion alt 2. If it worked with him it should be the same for the others. It doesn't have to be the retro costume.

Xater

RS4- said:
Re: retro fatalities; you can do them as long as you're using the alt costume. ie - scorpion alt 2. If it worked with him it should be the same for the others. It doesn't have to be the retro costume.

I also don't need the actual code? Because that would be sweet. I wanted to get the game for as cheap as possible and of course that means I'll miss out on any kind of pre-order bonus.

Aske

infinityBCRT said:
Read the OP ;). Would be surprised if fernoca didn't have that info.

Edit ok looks like he didn't put it there. Scorp, subby and reptile have classic fatalities win the skins

No - he did! It's all there. Everyone but Jade is confirmed to have a classic fatality with their costume: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Ermac, Kitana, Mileena. The only thing missing in the OP is Canadian pre-order info: no Kitana at our Toys R Us; and Reptile is at Futureshop, not Amazon. EDIT: ...It looks like you are totally right. Just Scorp, Sub and Reptile get the retro fatalities.

RS4- said:

That's bizarre, but awesome to know they're in the game. So you can use them when you unlock the alts as long as you know the inputs, but you can't use them with the normal costumes? Still, better than having to unlock and wear the retro costume to do them, which I thought was the case.

That makes life much easier for me then. I only wanted retro Sub-Zero for his classic fatality, so I'll definitely get Reptile. You're saying I can spine-rip to my heart's content without the retro costume, as long as I've unlocked and am wearing Sub-Zero's alt? Sweet.

Anyanka

Who confirmed all classic costumes come with a classic fataliy? I have only ever seen it mentioned with Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile. (and the others don't have a 4th secret fatality in the moves list)

Chairhome

So, I'm wrong about the DLC/unlockable Retro debate? :-(.

The easy way to figure it out is if the KE codes (I mean Kodes, right?) are actual codes you have to input in the game menu or if you have to go to the marketplace/PSN store to redeem.

RS4-

Yup. I'll test the Sub Zero one; but I did do the Scorp one yesterday.

Edit - I don't think it's everyone that has retro fatalities, just the ones they listed.

Aske

Anyanka said:
Who confirmed all classic costumes come with a classic fataliy? I have only ever seen it mentioned with Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile. (and the others don't have a 4th secret fatality in the moves list)

I'm just quoting the OP, but I've seen the info elsewhere too. If anyone knows, fernoca knows; so right or wrong it's the best information currently available. Apparently the only one not confirmed to come with a fatality is Jade. But if it's not in the moves list...

But you're saying everyone gets three fatalities, plus a fourth if they have a retro? We were initially told they each had two (plus retro if applicable). You sure the male ninjas don't have 3 plus a retro, with the females getting 2 plus a retro? I have no idea since I've avoided the spoiler thread. But retro fatalities aside, I could see everyone having a minimum of two, with some characters getting three.

Chairhome said:
So, I'm wrong about the DLC/unlockable Retro debate? :-(.

The easy way to figure it out is if the KE codes (I mean Kodes, right?) are actual codes you have to input in the game menu or if you have to go to the marketplace/PSN store to redeem.

They are redeem codes. But there's also this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dont-Buy-Mortal...Games_Games&hash=item27ba3e81bc#ht_500wt_1156

So the jury is still out.

RS4- said:
Yup. I'll test the Sub Zero one; but I did do the Scorp one yesterday.

Thank you!

RS4-

Hrm, I'd need the command for it. I tried the MK1 motion and it didn't work. From what I can tell, only Scorpions has been figured out (at least for the command)

Aske

RS4- said:
Hrm, I'd need the command for it. I tried the MK1 motion and it didn't work. From what I can tell, only Scorpions has been figured out (at least for the command)

Makes sense - Scorpion's was pretty much always the same motion. But Sub's must be in the game without the unlock code for this level of the challenge tower (minor spoilers, classic Scorp and Sub depicted):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7am7N8Xb2Sc&feature=related

Edit: Just realized you can probably complete it using his 2011 fatality, so they wouldn't have to unveil the spine-rip to anyone playing as Sub.

Never mind. I have all day for someone to do a spine-rip without a BestBuy code!

AEREC

Chairhome said:
Hmm. have release day shipping from Amazon and it doesn't even say "Shipping Soon" yet... don't let me down, Amazon!

Some games dont say shipping soon until the night before, but Ive never had amazon miss a release data delivery.

I have the TE with 1 day shipping (release date delivery was not available for the TE) with a estimated delivery date of 4/21..but it says shipping soon so hopefully it comes tomorrow.

Anyanka

Aske said:
I'm just quoting the OP, but I've seen the info elsewhere too. If anyone knows, fernoca knows; so right or wrong it's the best information currently available. Apparently the only one not confirmed to come with a fatality is Jade. But if it's not in the moves list...

But you're saying everyone gets three fatalities, plus a fourth if they have a retro? We were initially told they each had two (plus retro if applicable). You sure the male ninjas don't have 3 plus a retro, with the females getting 2 plus a retro? I have no idea since I've avoided the spoiler thread. But retro fatalities aside, I could see everyone having a minimum of two, with some characters getting three.

yeah well Fernoca is wrong. Look at the wording for the Ermac, Kitana and Mileena costumes at Walmart, TRU and the details of the KE/TE. They all just say classic costume, but the retailers with Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile make it a point to say costume and fatality.

2 regular fatalities and a stage fatality command. When you first start you have 1 fatality unlocked and two locked. One hidden fatality and the stage fatality. Scorpion, Reptile and Sub-Zero start with one unlocked and 3 locked. (you can do the locked fatals anytime if you know the command, unlocking them makes them show up in the moves list)

Aske

Anyanka said:
yeah well Fernoca is wrong. Look at the wording for the Ermac, Kitana and Mileena costumes at Walmart, TRU and the details of the KE/TE. They all just say classic costume, but the retailers with Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile make it a point to say costume and fatality.

2 regular fatalities and a stage fatality command. When you first start you have 1 fatality unlocked and two locked. One hidden fatality and the stage fatality. Scorpion, Reptile and Sub-Zero start with one unlocked and 3 locked. (you can do the locked fatals anytime if you know the command, unlocking them makes them show up in the moves list)

Of course...I'd forgotten about the stage fatality command.

You're totally right about the retailer promo images. I just compared the Toys R Us Kitana one with the Best Buy one: same blue background, same font, but one mentions the fatality and one doesn't. Poor Ermac...I'm even more glad I cancelled my KE order now.

Regarding the bolded, does that mean RS4- was wrong about having to wear the alts to do the retro fatalities?

RS4-

He means that you can do them without actually unlocking them in the krypt. They'll show up in your command list after. IE - buy the game, go on gamefaqs, find fatality list then do fatality 2 with whoever you're using. Then you get a popup that says "secret fatality performed" or something. So instead of ??? on the command list, it shows you the name - command and distance to do it.

But retro ones are still for alt 2 and retro only.

MrMephistoX

Kurod said:
So it's been confirmed that completing the challenge tower unlocks Mileena's third alt. Maybe completing the other modes (test your _____) will unlock the klassic costumes. I doubt many have attempted it and that might be why we haven't heard of anyone unlocking them yet. Just a thought.
Probably more to it. I remember NS saying the unlockable for beating the final hardest challenge netted a really cool reward.

Interfectum

I'm sick of this character / fatality unlock confusion.

All this pre-order shit better be included in the game or at least available via DLC later.

Aske

RS4- said:
He means that you can do them without actually unlocking them in the krypt. They'll show up in your command list after. IE - buy the game, go on gamefaqs, find fatality list then do fatality 2 with whoever you're using. Then you get a popup that says "secret fatality performed" or something. So instead of ??? on the command list, it shows you the name - command and distance to do it.

That's fantastic news, thanks for clarifying!

Anyanka

Aske said:
Of course...I'd forgotten about the stage fatality command.

You're totally right about the retailer promo images. I just compared the Toys R Us Kitana one with the Best Buy one: same blue background, same font, but one mentions the fatality and one doesn't. Poor Ermac...I'm even more glad I cancelled my KE order now.

Regarding the bolded, does that mean RS4- was wrong about having to wear the alts to do the retro fatalities?

I don't have the game yet so I'm going by what I've heard but I think it's true Scorpion's toasty is only working on the alt and it may be that doing without the preorder code is a glitch.

Sblargh

Banned
Interfectum said:

All this pre-order shit better be included in the game or at least available via DLC later.

This. As if this pre-order bonus busisness isn't evil enough, now we don't even know to what extent they are evil.

OSHAN

Interfectum said:

I can't see it not being available at some point, so I'm not going to jump through hoops for a retro costume.

(I'll jump standing in place though.)

I think it comes down to this. If there wasn't retailer exclusive DLC you wouldn't have GameStop making commercials JUST for MK, or other stores promoting MK hard due to their exclusives. As long as they do offer it for DLC within a reasonable amount of time (less than 30 days from now) I wouldn't mind if this ends up in MK selling even better so that they can green light more MK projects (HD Arcade Kollection & Shaolin Monks 2 being at the forefront).

Anyanka

RS4- said:

Once they're in your moves list can you practice them in fatality training? I mean, with the distance trainer and prompts.

RS4-

Anyanka said:
Once they're in your moves list can you practice them in fatality training? I mean, with the distance trainer and prompts.

Yeah sorry, I forgot that you could just jump straight into fatality training and "unlock" the fatalities that way instead of fighting someone. I haven't really played around with it but it always shows fatality one by default; so I don't think you can actually "practice" fatality 2 & retro. So yeah, just get a fatality list from somewhere and do them instead of earning koins and buying them in the krypt.

So you can just ignore the command and do the other fatalities instead. In the move list, it tells you what distance to do them (sweep, close, jump, fullscreen)

Oh and you can't select the stage either or do
babalities
. At least I'm sure on the latter.

Aske

Anyanka said:
I don't have the game yet so I'm going by what I've heard but I think it's true Scorpion's toasty is only working on the alt and it may be that doing without the preorder code is a glitch.

That would explain a lot. I hope it's not a glitch, but I guess we'll see. Even if it is a glitch, having a space for the retro fatalities bodes well for them being included somewhere in the game. It would make no sense to show off a ??? space for retailer exclusive content that you could only get by pre-ordering, or buying it later as DLC.

RS4- said:
Oh and you can't select the stage either or do
babalities
. At least I'm sure on the latter.

Thats awesome info, I like saving krypt money. But spoiler that one thing, or people will rage!

OSHAN

Anyone have the guide yet? Thinking of picking it up so I don't have to wade through the secrets I want online.

I don't really care about fighting strats since I don't really play MK because of the fighting engine.

Frankfurt

Banned
MrMephistoX said:
Probably more to it. I remember NS saying the unlockable for beating the final hardest challenge netted a really cool reward.

Trmk dude has finished the whole tower - everything. Dunno if he finished the tower AND story mode AND all characters in arcade mode, though.

There's also mastery, which can take months or even a year to complete.

RS4-

Sblargh said:
Is it hard or just time consuming?

Both. The former if you're not familiar with the chars, you just end up kind of "button mashing" your way through things without being efficient.

So far it's not anymore challenging than beginner on ladder; but I can imagine how hard it'll get with the AI and the restrictions that they force you into.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
got to play the game last night @ 8Bit n Up

first, hats off to NR for those gorgeous stages. In fact, the production value of this game puts Capcom to shame imo(dont wanna start nothin, just saying...).

so we played 4 player VS all night, its really cool how it actually works gameplay wise cuz i did'nt think it would for some reason, but its definitely a good "party". Most of us did'nt much obviously, but as it went on we got better

I discovered Sonya's insta-air dive kicks(and it does a weird cross up on wake-up) and ran with it lol, 4 hit chain to xray. I also played a bit of Jade, she has a green blow command that i didnt have time to understand, but pretty good overhead staff attack. Chris G was there played a pretty solid Reptile, awesome juggle combos. Noob(although very fun) will be everywhere online and probably in tournies too, his moves are super effective and has a great keep away game. Sektor's cheap unblockable bombs + net setup is cheap, Nightwolf is pretty damaging, Cage got 2 overheads(i think) one of em being very fast for an overhead. Kung Lao's spin move is pretty untouchable, turns him into a hitbox and can cancel it to xray or go on a combo string...

It maybe character specific, but the game is not as "mash" friendly as a thought it would be, definitely made a positive impression on me.

Kweh

I was hoping my order at ShopTo would be despatched today since it has been sat at status 'In Stock - preorders processing' since Friday, but nothing yet :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom