• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

crimzonflame said:
So this patch removes the ability to do Scorpion's klassic fatality on his non-klassic costumes.
:O Just turned it on and didn't get a patch. You on Xbox?

_dementia said:
Lame. Was it glitchy looking before or something?
Looked fine to me on Kostume 2, but you couldn't do it at all on Kostume 1.

EDIT: Woo! Amazon just charged my card! Start shipping so I can get my good costume please!

Kweh said:
I was hoping my order at ShopTo would be despatched today since it has been sat at status 'In Stock - preorders processing' since Friday, but nothing yet :(

It's their way of saying "your time to retract your money closes since we have now officially charged your credit cards and now we are printing shipping labels and getting this shit shipped".

It's the same with every store.

After playing this game all weekend, long story short, I was wrong. I thought that this game would be janky and give me a poor experience but it is quite the opposite. Movement for me is still weird and I'm still fighting over what my button configuration should be but MK9 really is a fun game. There are footises, wakeups, oki game, etc. The basic concepts of a 2D fighter is still there but there are just things that are specific to MK that I still need to get used too. Blocking command throws being one of them.

It is a fasted paced game and I believe that where it really excels is the 2v2 mode. It is just so much more fun than 1v1. Played it with 2 other friends and it is fantastic. Not only did it give is all of a chance to play it but we were able to talk to each other as far as doing a combo, launcher, tag in, and have my partner continue the combo. It really is a satisfying experience.

My only gripe right now is the fact that you can't do a button config anywhere except the main menu. I hope a patch will fix this. That and Scorpion. Fuck your full screen 50/50.

I dunno how long this game will last in the scene or if it will be broken fast. All I know right now that this has been a pleasant surprise and is a solid 2D fighting game.

Frankfurt

Banned
Boon said there would be no downloading keys to unlock stuff already in the disc. If Scorpion's old fatality isn't unlockable in-game and it's only available to Pre-orders, then he has already lied, since pre-patch it was doable already.

notworksafe

FallingEdge said:
My only gripe right now is the fact that you can't do a button config anywhere except the main menu. I hope a patch will fix this.
If you set different button config presets you can change to those presets at both character select screen and in-match. A proper button config would be nicer though.

At least it has a setup where you press the button to set the move (like BlazBlue) as opposed to have to select them from a list (like SSF4).

notworksafe said:
If you set different button config presets you can change to those presets at both character select screen and in-match. A proper button config would be nicer though.

At least it has a setup where you press the button to set the move (like BlazBlue) as opposed to have to select them from a list (like SSF4).

Oh yeah, we found that but since there were only 4 of us playing, we kinda had the same configuration so it was easy enough to switch. But imagine tournies for this game. Having to go back to the main menu every time would suck.

_dementia said:
Lame. Was it glitchy looking before or something?

Im guessing it was only supposed to be done using his klassic costume and not his alt. Thats why no one has figured out Reptile's or Sub Zero's klassic fatality yet.

notworksafe

FallingEdge said:
Oh yeah, we found that but since there were only 4 of us playing, we kinda had the same configuration so it was easy enough to switch. But imagine tournies for this game. Having to go back to the main menu every time would suck.
Yeah I'm still having a hard time setting up a comfortable button config. I've thought about getting a Kombat panel for my TE, but then I'd have to take apart my stick all the time, which would be obnoxious.

ATM I'm using this:

Tag - LP - HP
Block - LP -LK

notworksafe said:
Yeah I'm still having a hard time setting up a comfortable button config. I've thought about getting a Kombat panel for my TE, but then I'd have to take apart my stick all the time, which would be obnoxious.

ATM I'm using this:

Tag - LP - HP
Block - LP -LK

Exact same config I'm using as well. My other friends are going with:

LP HP Tag
LP LK Block

The weirdest thing for me is doing EX moves. Hitting block and HP for example just feels weird. I want to get the MK9 TE stick but it is sold out everywhere online. If they make another batch, I will buy it. I'm sure they will.

So yeah, if anyone knows where I can still get the MK TE stick, please let me know.

notworksafe said:

ATM I'm using this:

Tag - LP - HP
Block - LP -LK

I'm going to go with:
TAG - FP - BP
BLK - FK - BK

If Virtua Fighter and Tekken ever had a control scheme lovechild this would be it.

Master Thespian said:
I'm going to go with:
TAG - FP - BP
BLK - FK - BK

If Virtua Fighter and Tekken ever had a control scheme lovechild this would be it.
This is similar to how I set it up in the demo. Works well IMO.

robot

I just ordered the MK stick. $130 w/ free shipping and no tax from PDP (no game). Got the game for free from Amazon (trade-in credit and promo credit) so it worked out pretty damn good.

robot said:
I just ordered the MK stick. $130 w/ free shipping and no tax from PDP (no game). Got the game for free from Amazon (trade-in credit and promo credit) so it worked out pretty damn good.
Nice, I didn't know they sold the stick separately.

I thought about buying the panel but considering that I'm frequently at local tourneys, I don't want to take the thing on/off every time.

robot

The Int3rsect said:
I thought about buying the panel but considering that I'm frequently at local tourneys, I don't want to take the thing on/off every time.

I was going to buy the Official Madcatz MK layout panel but it seems to be sold out. Checked with Markman and they havent restocked yet - actually sounds like they haven't produced another run yet so might be tough to come by for a bit.

I have a TE joystick, unsure about using it for this game though. Seems like it would be hard to get the directional moves that this ones has to register, that this is a fighting game that actually favors a good D-Pad over a joystick.

notworksafe

TheApatheticOne said:
I have a TE joystick, unsure about using it for this game though. Seems like it would be hard to get the directional moves that this ones has to register, that this is a fighting game that actually favors a good D-Pad over a joystick.
Eh, you can do sweep motions or do directional inputs and they will both register. I prefer a stick for it because of better button placement.

mjc

So I guess some Best Buys are already selling this? I haven't tried the store I reserved at, but I'm assuming it must be a YMMV thing.

Got an email from Best Buy telling me my KE shipment is on its way! Just wish I didn't have to register on UPS's website to know the status of the tracking number

Somehow, this whole situation has played itself out perfectly:

Get the standard edition from Gamestop tonight and play it for a while

Wait for the Kollector's Edition to arrive at my house either tomorrow or Wednesday

Get that, and trade-in the standard edition at Best Buy for credit or whatever the hell they offer

Use that and a $5 RZ certificate to buy Portal 2

Finally caved in and pre-ordered.
Went with Amazon as in the UK you get both Sub-Zero and Reptile's classic costume/fatality, and Kitana's classic costume, and it was only £30.

Kurod

Banned
toysrusdeal.jpg

TRU deal tomorrow for anyone interested.

LordAlu

Only a few more days till UK launch now :) So glad it's a Bank Holiday this Friday as it means the game comes out on the Thursday instead! \o/

notworksafe

lazybones18 said:
Got an email from Best Buy telling me my KE shipment is on its way! Just wish I didn't have to register on UPS's website to know the status of the tracking number
You only have to register to keep your tracking history (listing of all your tracking numbers). You should be able to track a currently shipping product by just putting the number in the box on the left and hitting "Track".

Amazon has me as "Shipping Soon". Guess I can't get lucky enough to get two copies early. :p

notworksafe said:
You only have to register to keep your tracking history (listing of all your tracking numbers). You should be able to track a currently shipping product by just putting the number in the box on the left and hitting "Track".

Amazon has me as "Shipping Soon". Guess I can't get lucky enough to get two copies early. :p

Tried that and I'm currently getting this message:

UPS could not locate the shipment details for your request. Please verify your information and try again later.

I'll try again later

Raidy

I've been using my old custom MK stick I had built for UMK3 when it launched on X360 (and got it signed by Ed Boon himself when I worked at CNET/GameSpot!).

IMO it works really well, so I imagine the TE stick will be just as awesome when it shows up. I also configured my DJ Hero case/pedestal thing to be about the same height as an arcade unit (including stick), and even angled it as such so it tilts slightly toward me (individually adjustable legs ftw!).

For those curious how I laid out the buttons on the stick, I wanted it to be as close to the "classic" style MK as possible, so I went like this:

LP=FP=(A on my joystick)
HP=BP=(X on my joystick)
HK=FK=(Y on my joystick)
LK=BK=(B on my joystick)
BLK=BLK=(RB on my joystick)
Run=Tag=(LB on my joystick)

It makes throwing a tad harder (LP+HK), but I got used to it. X-ray is easily done with BLK+HK+LK. Yes I'm using classic descriptions for those buttons, but its what I know!

See attached pix:

MK_2011_CustomStick3RS.jpg

MK_2011_CustomStick2RS.jpg

notworksafe

lazybones18 said:
Tried that and I'm currently getting this message:
Yeah, it'll show that if it literally just shipped. Check it again in an hour or two.

Raidy said:
Dope as hell MK setup
So jealous! I'm hoping that Ed Boon secretly shows up at EVO so I can get him to sign my stuff.

Lumine

MMaRsu said:
I heard the game is already in some stores and being sold in The Netherlands! Like Dimensionplus!

It's true, they already got it friday/saturday and sent their copies. I wish I pre-ordered from them, instead I went with zavvi. Great price, but they still have it listed as dispatching on the 22nd. Which would mean I probably won't get it until somewhere next week or perhaps even later. Bloody frustrating. :(

Xevren

infinityBCRT said:
In anticipation, anyone up for some UMK3 on XBLA tonight? My gamertag is the same as my username here.

I'd take you up on that, warning, I haven't played it in forever so I'm probably terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom