• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Smision said:
argh, 7 wins in a row online (my first 7 matches) and a masher upsets me!

only played as mileena so far. She's punish city as always. high attack = roll, projectile = trade with sais, jump = air sais, you do anything = teleport kick

Everything running smooth online?

big_z

isnt the ign review done by the same guy that got his ass ripped open by the internet after that other review that read like a 5th grade homework assignment?

Sblargh

Banned
IGN said:
So with exciting combat, bloody Fatalities, and tons of things to unlock, Mortal Kombat sounds awesome, right? It is, especially when playing with friends locally or online. Local play is the best because it doesn't suffer from any lag, whereas I detected a slight delay in online play.
:eek:

IGN said:
But not all all is well in the land of Mortal Kombat. I was bewildered by the imbalances found in the single-player modes. You're very often thrown into two-on-one matches and confronted with bosses that actually break the game's rules (like not being staggered when hit).
:eek: :eek:

Sblargh said:

The second quote sounds like someone who doesn't have much experience with fighting game posses. Also, sounds like he has become a pussy due to modern 'game design's' tendency to baby the player each step of the way.

Leshita said:
The second quote sounds like someone who doesn't have much experience with fighting game bosses. Also, sounds like he has become a pussy due to modern 'game design's' tendency to baby the player each step of the way.
QFT-1.png

But not all all is well in the land of Mortal Kombat. I was bewildered by the imbalances found in the single-player modes. You're very often thrown into two-on-one matches and confronted with bosses that actually break the game's rules (like not being staggered when hit).

How is this surprising? Has the reviewer never played Mortal Kombat before? What a crybaby. No reviewer ever complains about overpowered bosses that are practically undefeatable e.g. Tekken/SF4... but NOOOO! TWO CHARACTERS? THAT'S SO MUCH! BOSS NOT STAGGERING, OH MY GOD!! [/sarcasm]

MmFLi.jpg

Welcome to fighting genre.

Fjordson

-Pyromaniac- said:
At first I was a bit surprised at IGNs score but then I saw who wrote the review. Clements is not only the opposite target market for this game, his opinion on games that actually suit his taste isn't that good to begin with. Not sure why IGN felt he was right for the review.
As a fan of Podcast Beyond (yeah, I know) I like Clements, but I don't get it either. Doesn't seem like his type of game unless I'm missing something.

N4Us

Got the midnight release at Gamestop, but accidently left behind my receipt that they put the Scorpion code on. Bahhhhhhhhh

-Eddman-

Wow at IGN. Seriously, trolling in reviews of highly anticipated games just for the sake of extra hits and artificial controversy should be an automatic site-ban from GAF. The trend is getting ridiculous, what's next, a 0 in graphics because the fatalities are unrealistic?

Xevren

Here's my impression of the online after playing it for nearly 3-4 hours on PSN. It's the laggiest fighter I have ever played online. It's rare I can even connect to a ranked match, think I only have 2 under my belt but I usually just can't find anything. I'm usually just stuck playing on the servers that are on the online menu to get matches. I love the game, so don't think of me as some troll that just has it out against the MK games, because I'm not.

Everything seems fine on my end, so I'm curious if anyone else has the same experience I had tonight. Everyone online was just picking characters from the demo while I pretty much stayed with Ermac and Reptile. I love Ermac, that guy can do some crazy shit.

-Eddman-

Nice to see some honest online impressions, since i'm still undecided on which version to buy. I don't have any of the HD consoles yet and I might buy one just for this game, so it's important to know where I can find less lag.

G_Berry

Banned
shagg_187 said:
How is this surprising? Has the reviewer never played Mortal Kombat before? What a crybaby. No reviewer ever complains about overpowered bosses that are practically undefeatable e.g. Tekken/SF4... but NOOOO! TWO CHARACTERS? THAT'S SO MUCH! BOSS NOT STAGGERING, OH MY GOD!! [/sarcasm]

MmFLi.jpg

Welcome to fighting genre.

People (noobs) are getting to used to the hand holding in games these days.

1 vs 2? Pfft, I say bring on the 1 vs 3........ or 4!!!!

Is this game being released in Japan? I can't find anything about it, and I just went to bic camera today and didn't find it or any mention of it.

Same for Portal 2 :(.

Portal 2 I can at least import, but if there's no domestic release, buying MK will be pointless because there will no one to play with.

alstein

-Eddman- said:
Nice to see some honest online impressions, since i'm still undecided on which version to buy. I don't have any of the HD consoles yet and I might buy one just for this game, so it's important to know where I can find less lag.

360 almost always has better online. 360 will cost you more to play online due to XBL though.

I'm just hoping the online is at least Tekken-"quality" (aka playable)

derFeef

He complains about the block button....

edit: Did he even paly the game?

Falling prey to these X-Ray combos is common, but, that said, the sight of seeing Scorpion ram the sharp end of his sword through that irritating sod Johnny Cage’s eye-socket is pretty neat for those with wanton bloodlust.

My game is set to arrive today, yet I didn't get an e-mail for my "Retile" code. I got the standard edition PS3 version and as far as I know, it came with the skin....

Come on Amazon, don't disappoint. This is the reason I ordered it from you.

Anyanka said:
Hope it's a problem with my connection because my impressions of the netcode is that it's trash. Worse than MKDC. :(
I worry about that too, the game could do with a strong region filter to keep ping low, not seen anything like that in video streams.

'Worse than: Fighters Uncaged'?

Well then...

EDIT: It's okay we can all go home - he gave TDU2 an 8.7 overall and a 9.1 for multiplayer when it was unplayable at launch..

EDIT 2: Holy fuck he called it highly polished

Anyanka

jesus...can't even do b+2 into fan toss with this lag. This is ridiculous. God I can't believe they may have dropped the ball.

Xevren

Anyanka said:
jesus...can't even do b+2 into fan toss with this lag. This is ridiculous. God I can't believe they may have dropped the ball.

Sounds like the same experience I had tonight. Real shame, hopefully they can do something to improve the online. I really like the king of the hill matches.

Sn4ke_911 said:
This guy really does'nt like the game He's been going on about it on twitter for some time now.

Mortal Kombat review scores are very high across the internet. Get the feeling we've all been playing vastly different games.

@IncreaseBlue Nostalgia shouldn't blind people to the fact that it isn't a good fighting game. People seem to forget this.

@ZoKnowsGaming Nostalgia tinted glasses though, still doesn't make it a good game. Amazed that reviewers have forgotten this.

Nostalgia does not equal accomplishment. Today, the world will forget this. #prayformortalkombat

@paradox183 Nope. The series has never been good as a game, but it's always been fun. It's key to make that distinction.

On the site the game is rated lower than Fighters Uncaged...

GrayFoxPL

Xevren said:
Here's my impression of the online after playing it for nearly 3-4 hours on PSN. It's the laggiest fighter I have ever played online. It's rare I can even connect to a ranked match, think I only have 2 under my belt but I usually just can't find anything. I'm usually just stuck playing on the servers that are on the online menu to get matches. I love the game, so don't think of me as some troll that just has it out against the MK games, because I'm not.

Everything seems fine on my end, so I'm curious if anyone else has the same experience I had tonight. Everyone online was just picking characters from the demo while I pretty much stayed with Ermac and Reptile. I love Ermac, that guy can do some crazy shit.
GAMESPY

Told you guys not to expect anything good from gamespy on ps3 at least in EU. Their servers always sucked.

derFeef

GrayFoxPL said:
GAMESPY

Told you guys not to expect anything good from gamespy on ps3 at least in EU. Their servers always sucked.
Again, Gamespy only provides the connection between the players. Game is still P2P - you do not play on servers.

GrayFoxPL

derFeef said:
Again, Gamespy only provides the connection between the players. Game is still P2P - you do not play on servers.
Fine. Their online service always sucks.

After playing about 8-9 games where they provided online and only deception having half decent one, then I don't expect anything good from them. Powered by GameSpy is bad news.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
ARXIN said:
This guy really does'nt like the game He's been going on about it on twitter for some time now.

On the site the game is rated lower than Fighters Uncaged...

From his profile:

28 Reviews published - average score given to a review is 7.6
9.4 - Highest rating given to BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (PS3)

And there you have it. He's a serious Japanese fighter player. Makes sense he wouldn't be on board with MK.

(Also, I love BBCS, but in no universe is it a 9.4)

Tr4nce

Am I the only one, who feels that the voice-acting as well as the cutscenes in story mode, do little justice, or even maybe undermine the dark setting/feeling that Mortal Kombat always had? I mean, when you see the commercials on TV, it looks and feels excellent. Very dark, and gory. There's definitely a difference. It's nothing gamebreaking, but I think they could've done a whole lot better. Other than that: just a few more days!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom