• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After playing this for a while on the stick, I really feel the game is better served playing on the pad. I wasn't able to find a single stick configuration that felt natural and played on the pad and was immediately comfortable. My VLX is crying in the corner.

Stormwatch said:
Or you can actually read my post and see that I ordered it online and was wondering if anyone got their email...
Touche. Apologies!

Question - If I know the code for a fatality or 2nd fatality or whatever but it hasn't been unlocked yet, can I still perform it on an opponent in a versus match right off the bat??

aeiko

Banned
RS4- said:
Fuck, I don't know if I even want to keep the TE version; the whole thing is just sitting here and I don't think I'd be using the stick over the normal SF TE.

Yeh I plan on just using the Sfiv TE stick as well

The Lamonster said:
Touche. Apologies!
No problem! Sorry if I'm a little paranoid; I've just been screwed by GS in the past where they said they'd email the code and then never did. When I called them out on it they said they ran out of codes.

Zwei

RS4- said:
Fuck, I don't know if I even want to keep the TE version; the whole thing is just sitting here and I don't think I'd be using the stick over the normal SF TE.

I'm fairly confident the TE will appreciate in value very quickly. If nothing else, it's a solid investment, even at $150.

I think.

depths20XX

Master Thespian said:
After playing this for a while on the stick, I really feel the game is better served playing on the pad. I wasn't able to find a single stick configuration that felt natural and played on the pad and was immediately comfortable. My VLX is crying in the corner.

Really? In the demo I think I found a decent layout that will work for me.

Using a button to block will definetly take some getting used to though.

Aesthet1c

Master Thespian said:
I'm torn as well. I grew up as a pad player, and have recently tried moving to a stick with SSF4 and MvC3. I'm still awful on a stick, and I really want to keep with it for MK, but the game just feels so much better on a pad. It sucks because I feel like I will lose all my progress I made on a stick if I go back to a pad, but I really don't see myself playing this game on a stick.

RS4-

Zwei said:
I'm fairly confident the TE will appreciate in value very quickly. If nothing else, it's a solid investment, even at $150.

I think.

Yeah, I didn't plan on buying it in the first place; so it's a good thing I won the whole thing instead. I'll probably just sell the thing.

S1kkZ

Ilive1up said:
Anyone just playing with the normal 360/PS3 controller?
yes, i do. i tried the sf4 fightpad but its useless to me. enhanced moves often dont work, tag team moves/combos are a nightmare to pull off.
it feels best with the standard pad (also no problems with the 360 pad, every move/combo works fine).

depths20XX said:
Really? In the demo I think I found a decent layout that will work for me.

Using a button to block will definetly take some getting used to though.
I'm used to having a block button having played a lot of Virtua Fighter and SoulCalibur (and actually prefer it TBH). I might give it one more go with this set up:

FP - BP - FK - BK
BLK - TAG - THW - STC

I need to have block by my thumb, but putting attack buttons on the lower row makes me have to use my thumb for those functions and I don't end up blocking as much as I should.

I was thinking about the button layout on my fight pad, usually I like character swaps and calls on the shoulder buttons but in this game it might be best to use them for block and something else, need to keep block on hand as easy as possible instead of somewhere like the far right of the pad face, for me.

I also had to cancel my KE guide :( play.com had not sent it yet and with friday, sunday and monday being non post days this weekend I would not receive the book from them until tuesday, so fuck that!

depths20XX

In the demo I believe I was using

FP-BP-Tag
FK-BK-BLK

No need to map throw as it can be done with two buttons. I believe the super move is the same way?

edit: uh maybe I had it this way instead lol. I'll have to get back to it today when I play but I remember it being fine really.

Double edit: yea this is definetly how I was using it. Kind of leaves block in a shitty postion though...

RS4-

depths20XX said:
In the demo I believe I was using

FP-FK-BLK
BP-BK-Tag

No need to map throw as it can be done with two buttons. I believe the super move is the same way?

X-Ray is done with FK + BK + Block, so it might be awkward for you to do it.

Kuno

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to play King of the Hill mode online with two users on one console? I'm not talking about tag team mode though.

Just wondering if me and a friend can play in the same KOTH lobby vs. online opponents (and occasionally vs. each other) using one copy of the game.

The Lamonster said:
Question - If I know the code for a fatality or 2nd fatality or whatever but it hasn't been unlocked yet, can I still perform it on an opponent in a versus match right off the bat??
Anybody know dis?

derFeef

Installing 360 version! (I need this new controller, I see it coming). Gonna try that a bit, but then it is Portal 2 evening.

Aske

infinityBCRT said:
The GameStop girl forgot the Scorpion code though :(. I thought it would be on the receipt because thats what people here were saying but it wasn't there. Had to go back to get it. The code I got was on a card that looks like the Ermac code card but its printed on cheap paper instead of a on a stiff card.

Thank you so much for the heads up. I'll make sure I check when I pick up my pre-order later. Hope they don't run out of the cards by tonight.

Has anyone (ideally a Canadian!) picked up the game from Best Buy yet? Just want to know if the box art is weird, or if the codes aren't turning up inside or something. I'll be sure to ask when I collect it, but typically BB employees have no clue about this kind of thing.

On the plus side, my KE guide just arrived! It wasn't supposed to arrive until tomorrow, so Amazon.ca and UPS did me proud. Wow, this thing is beautiful - at least from the outside. I want to play the game a bit before getting into the book, but to judge it by its cover I'm very impressed.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
RS4- said:
X-Ray is done with FK + BK + Block, so it might be awkward for you to do it.

X-Rays are three action buttons? What are the shoulder buttons assigned to in order to make them work as the X-Ray attack?

notworksafe

GuardianE said:
X-Rays are three action buttons? What are the shoulder buttons assigned to in order to make them work as the X-Ray attack?
It's both those action buttons (for stick types) and the the triggers (for controller types).

Aske said:
Thank you so much for the heads up. I'll make sure I check when I pick up my pre-order later. Hope they don't run out of the cards by tonight.

Has anyone (ideally a Canadian!) picked up the game from Best Buy yet? Just want to know if the box art is weird, or if the codes aren't turning up inside or something. I'll be sure to ask when I collect it, but typically BB employees have no clue about this kind of thing.

On the plus side, my KE guide just arrived! It wasn't supposed to arrive until tomorrow, so Amazon.ca and UPS did me proud. Wow, this thing is beautiful - at least from the outside. I want to play the game a bit before getting into the book, but to judge it by its cover I'm very impressed.
Codes are inside the box. No promo markings on the cover art.

Can anyone recommend the best 360 controller (not stick or pad)? I've been meaning to get a new controller anyway so might as well get one for this game.

mrgone

Squall ASF said:
Can anyone recommend the best 360 controller (not stick or pad)? I've been meaning to get a new controller anyway so might as well get one for this game.

Not a stick or a pad? If you're going dance mat, I recommend one of the metal platforms to stand up to MK levels of violence. :D

Aske

canadian crowe said:
Codes are inside the box. No promo markings on the cover art.

Sweet - very pleased to hear it.

So I cracked the guide before rushing out to work. I'm extremely satisfied. The cards will be invaluable, and they turned out nicely. And the book itself has so much kontent. I skimmed a bit of it, and read the section about the 'songs inspired by the warriors' album in which the artists discuss writing their tracks:

Bird Peterson said:
Goro's theme: this is the perfect song for grabbing a friend with two hands, and then beating the living crap out of them with your other two hands.

...Damn straight!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Kenshi And Scarlet Announced As First Mortal Kombat DLC Characters

Speaking to CVG, Mortal Kombat producer Hans Lo revealed the first two DLC characters scheduled to debut in Netherrealm’s upcoming game. Slated for release are Kenshi and Scarlet.

“Anyone who knows the history of Mortal Kombat will tell you that back in the days of the arcade – when they did just palette swap characters to come up with multiple fighters in the game – there was a glitch in one of the old arcade machines that caused the Jade/Katana/Milena female ninja to glitch and turn red,” explained Lo. “People always thought it was a hidden unlockable character and it wasn't, it was purely a programming glitch. They've always speculated and in fact it was the fans who named her Scarlet to begin with. She's no longer a glitch - she's an actual character, and she'll be coming pretty soon post-launch.”

Lo continued to explain that DLC characters won’t boast a fresh coat of paint on the same old move set. Each will have their own unique fighting style, fatalities, and so on.

Sub-boss Kintaro is also expected to release as DLC, but not alongside the first pair of fighters.

LowParry

None-FP-BP
Block-FK-BK

I consider this the best set up for none MK sticks. Your tags, X-rays, stance switch, throws, ect., can all be done. And if you're a Soul Caliber/Tekken player, more power to you :)

Now, UPS. Show up already and give me my game!!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The giant bomb and gametrailers video reviews convinced me to get this over portal 2 today.

Amazing really, I suppose the sheer positivity surrounding the story mode and massive content cinched it, but I still have my doubts surrounding paying $60 for portal 2.

Also the absurdity if the challenge tower with weird match modifiers sounds incredible.

mrgone said:
Not a stick or a pad? If you're going dance mat, I recommend one of the metal platforms to stand up to MK levels of violence. :D

Guess I didn't know what a pad was, assumed it was another alternative to regular controller. What's the best regular 360 controller? Some of them have improved D-pads right?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
CcrooK said:
None-FP-BP
Block-FK-BK

I consider this the best set up for none MK sticks. Your tags, X-rays, stance switch, throws, ect., can all be done. And if you're a Soul Caliber/Tekken player, more power to you :)

I agree, you need that block button on the thumb.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Squall ASF said:
Guess I didn't know what a pad was, assumed it was another alternative to regular controller. What's the best regular 360 controller? Some of them have improved D-pads right?

They're improved but still suck. Your best bet is to get a Street Fighter IV Madcatz Fightpad. They have the best floaty D-Pad. As well as six face buttons and two shoulder buttons.

Fletcher

Holy nuts. I slept on this game completely. I used to love playing MK1-3 when I was a kid and knew of the series descent into shittiness. I didn't pay any attention to this and just woke up to read Portal 2 reviews and see this game is doing well. Then watched a few videos on it and am pretty jazzed on it.

GAF consensus good so far?

alstein

CcrooK said:
None-FP-BP
Block-FK-BK

Why block on the bottom left instead of right?

notworksafe

Fletcher said:
Holy nuts. I slept on this game completely. I used to love playing MK1-3 when I was a kid and knew of the series descent into shittiness. I didn't pay any attention to this and just woke up to read Portal 2 reviews and see this game is doing well. Then watched a few videos on it and am pretty jazzed on it.

GAF consensus good so far?
GAF consensus will be to hate the game in three months. :p

I'm really liking it though. Great versus play, the best story mode in a fighting game, and just as brutal as you remember.

LowParry

alstein said:
Why block on the bottom left instead of right?

Just feels more natural. Though that's because of my play times with Soul Caliber. There's nothing wrong with how you set up your own buttons. As long as you're comfortable with what you use. All matter of preference.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Interesting, I just bought the normal edition and it came with a classic reptile code which is the only classic costume I give a damn about.

Didn't think those came with anything other then pre-orders.

mrgone

Squall ASF said:

Ah! I think the latest ones with the transforming d-pad are supposed to be the best of the official controllers. Expensive, though. You could probably get a Madcatz FightPad for half the price of one of those nowadays, which has a pretty good d-pad for fighters (though the layout's designed for SF titles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom