• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alstein

Actually went and tested for myself a couple of quick matches. (Player match, not KOTH or Ranked)

The online didn't seem bad- though I couldn't tell connection strength at all (this needs to be patched- it's the same damn problem Marvel has, though lag abuse won't be as strong as it is in Marvel.

I'm suspecting those who got bad online are either unlucky, or playing people too far away right now. I'd need more play and at weird hours to know for sure.

I also need to actually learn the damn moves.

shuri

Banned
maybe people should wait until there are more retail copies out there in the wild to make an opinion on how online support is.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo... no stand alone steelbook in europe then?

Sblargh

Banned
Even if gamespy only does the matchmaking, we can still worry that it does not a good job matching people who are close?
Living in Brazil, I almost take for granted that all kinds of random matchmaking are off-limits to me, but SSF4 did it right. SSF4 (not SF4) is the only game where I could go to ranked and expect to be matched with another brazilian.

Xevren

Played for another hour and actually had a few lag free matches which was nice, but found something incredibly stupid in the process. If you use a controller config that's different than #1 and you end up being player 2 in online, make sure to change your controller scheme to what you're used to. Completely fucked me up. Even though it was set apparently it's only on what side you had it on initially I guess? I don't know, it's retarded.

parasight

large_image.jpg

KOMBAT! Steel book for those interested. Very nicely done, but I've got some small scruffs.

Replicant

Clown_im_OP said:
Sooo... no stand alone steelbook in europe then?

In what form does steelbook is being sold in Europe? Also, do you know any online shop where steelbook is actually being sold to international buyers? Apart from Ebay, that is, because those are overpriced.

parasight said:
large_image.jpg

KOMBAT! Steel book for those interested. Very nicely done, but I've got some small scruffs.

DO WANT.

GANGSTERKILLER said:
@ parasight

How does the 360 version compared to the PS3 demo. A sharper picture with better color? I know that the game is running on the UE3.
Near identical is what it is. Boundary between PS3 and 360 multiplatform games have significantly reduced to even care about graphics anymore.

S1kkZ

GANGSTERKILLER said:
@ parasight

How does the 360 version compared to the PS3 demo. A sharper picture with better color? I know that the game is running on the UE3.
i compared them. the 360 version looks sharper and better/more vibrant colors compaed to the ps3 demo. it a minimal difference.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Replicant said:
In what form does steelbook is being sold in Europe?
I don't even know if there's one in the european Kollector's Edition. But since I'm not interested in that anyway I was wondering if there's a stand-alone one... like in canada, I guess?
Anyway, some shops here sell the regular version for 39.99€ with the Scorpion skin, I guess I'll be just getting that :)

S1kkZ said:
i compared them. the 360 version looks sharper and better/more vibrant colors compaed to the ps3 demo. it a minimal difference.

Ok, thanks. I always want the more vibrant/sharpest version with a multiplatform game. But the 360 version does not have Kratos...

S1kkZ

i just noticed something: since the 360 patch yesterday, the fatalities are a bit messed up. the soundfile (when you performed the move correctly) comes way to late and the animation takes longer to start.

Seraphis Cain said:
From his profile:

And there you have it. He's a serious Japanese fighter player. Makes sense he wouldn't be on board with MK.

(Also, I love BBCS, but in no universe is it a 9.4)

I don't even take that review seriously at all.

And I probably shouldn't take IGN's review seriously either, but seriously Ryan Clements? He scored the game a 6.0 in presentation because he didn't like the story and couldn't skip cutscenes, and 7.5 in graphics (even though its the smoothest running UE3 game and still looks great).

fernoca

Haven't been able to try the online yet, because my internet is dropping (which with my luck, I expected..I was also expecting my PS3 to explode.). Though I still really suck at the game, so I rather continue in the Story Mode. XD

But in the community thread, there are people already with the PSN-chat and the Xbox Live-friend list; so others can join and see/try things too.

I'll eat breakfast and play some more and if things continue, argh..calling the internet provider. :/

The team is probably sleeping right now, so I guess any problems with the PSN/Live side of things might be fixed during the day/week. :p

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
shagg_187 said:
How is this surprising? Has the reviewer never played Mortal Kombat before? What a crybaby. No reviewer ever complains about overpowered bosses that are practically undefeatable e.g. Tekken/SF4... but NOOOO! TWO CHARACTERS? THAT'S SO MUCH! BOSS NOT STAGGERING, OH MY GOD!! [/sarcasm]

MmFLi.jpg

Welcome to fighting genre.

You know the difference between your screen shot and MK9? It's not a gauntlet. They tag move the fuck out of you. The amount of 2 on 1 matches in MK9's story mode is just stupid and annoying.

The bosses? Not so much. Except Shao Khan. Fuck him. 4 moves and you're dead. You don't fight him much though. Thank god.

What you posted and what's actually in the game are different.

I have a feeling people will get tired of the 2 on 1s in story mode real quick.

Has anybody who ordered online from Gamestop received their Scorpion code? Do they send it in an email, or is it included in the package?

Tesseract

Banned
360 player here.

online play has been pretty good. out of 50-or-so matches played, two games had noticeable input delay. the rest were buttery smooth like a good street fighter iv match. it's no ggpo, but i think the netcode is pretty solid.

woober

So what's the status on the preorder bonuses and being able to unlock them in game? Is it possible or are the alternate costumes exclusive to retail purchases? Sorry if this has been answered. I checked the OP by doing a ctrl-f on "unlock" and found nothing regarding unlocking in game.

Frankfurt

Banned
UK steelbook has an ESRB rating?

S1kkZ said:
i just noticed something: since the 360 patch yesterday, the fatalities are a bit messed up. the soundfile (when you performed the move correctly) comes way to late and the animation takes longer to start.

Ugh. This is worse news than no exclusive character. Anyone tweet Hector, Boon and the official MK twitter with this info? Should be an easy patch to fix...

Also, do WB's online passes work in other countries? I think the copy I pre-ordered is the american one, as the local one is only being released next week. Would suck if this had decent online and I wouldn't be able to play.

So did the 360 get any exclusives. Someone mentioned something about puzzle kombat inclusion in the 360 version and not the PS3. Any other exclusives?

If this has been answered my apologies, I'm just curious as I don't see it listed on the first post.

Aesthet1c

Calavera520 said:
So did the 360 get any exclusives. Someone mentioned something about puzzle kombat inclusion in the 360 version and not the PS3. Any other exclusives?

If this has been answered my apologies, I'm just curious as I don't see it listed on the first post.
No. The only difference the 360 version has is you use your xbox live avatars in king of the hill mode, instead o the mini MK fighters the ps3 version uses.

Calavera520 said:

Avatar support is the only 360 exclusive option. On PS3 you use generic MK fighters.

The generic MK fighters actually look quite good, but its probably easier to recognize your friend as their avatar while playing King of the Hill than a generic MK avatar.

Skilletor

The Lamonster said:
Read the OP. It's printed on your reciept.

Quite the gargantuan request in such an OP.

I'll be picking my copy up later today. I have a bunch of friends who are going to play, so I'm getting it even though I typically dislike MK games.

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Mine says the same. At least expected delivery is still set for tomorrow. Also, I like how you put a 'k' in screwed! Like kombat! That is what you were going for... right?

I guess the amazon "shipping soon" thing doesn't matter - just received my copy :)
And no the k wasn't intentional I just kan't spell

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Frogfucious said:
I guess the amazon "shipping soon" thing doesn't matter - just received my copy :)
And no the k wasn't intentional I just kan't spell

I am crossing my fingers it holds the same for amazon.ca... It says shipping soon and I can't cancel it, says expected ship date is the 26th! They already charged me for it too... If it did ship yesterday I'll get it today but I just don't know :(

big_z said:
isnt the ign review done by the same guy that got his ass ripped open by the internet after that other review that read like a 5th grade homework assignment?
Is that the guy with the chick name? I try to stay away from anything he writes.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Initially I was going to pick this up day one(like i do most fighting games) but I think I am going to let things simmer a bit and see how things pan out.

Ilive1up

GT gave it a 94, 1up gave it a A-, Giantbomb gave it 5 stars.

For the people who judge their purchases on review scores, I think that is enough to warrant a purchase.

KAOS

The game is good! Best MK yet!!! Story mode is really well done! Online mode might need to be ironed out a bit but overall highly recommended.

Ilive1up said:
GT gave it a 94, 1up gave it a A-, Giantbomb gave it 5 stars.

For the people who judge their purchases on review scores, I think that is enough to warrant a purchase.

IGN gave it an 8 and their negatives were stupid reasons (cheesy story, couldn't skip cutscenes, graphics are "stuck in 1992")

MrMephistoX

-viper- said:
Ever since Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate, none of the fatalities seem to be that satisfying. :\

Yeah the mannequin parts were really quite immersive ;)

Best fatalities in a 3D MK thus far from what I've seen. MKII is still the 2D king though.

Got it!
208729_10150170445853276_507523275_6691853_6686207_n.jpg

The GameStop girl forgot the Scorpion code though :(. I thought it would be on the receipt because thats what people here were saying but it wasn't there. Had to go back to get it. The code I got was on a card that looks like the Ermac code card but its printed on cheap paper instead of a on a stiff card.

Sblargh

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
IGN gave it an 8 and their negatives were stupid reasons (cheesy story, couldn't skip cutscenes, graphics are "stuck in 1992")

Actually, IGN liked the graphics, the 7.5 presentation score was because the art style is "stuck in 1992".

Kintaro said:
The bosses? Not so much. Except Shao Khan. Fuck him. 4 moves and you're dead. You don't fight him much though. Thank god.

I have not played 2 on 1s yet, but Shao Kahn on medium difficulty is dumb as bricks. You can lock him down very easily with projectiles to build up meter and kill him with all X-ray moves.

He does seem impossible at first because he rushes down if you try to avoid or block. You have to stay on the attack.

RS4-

Fuck, I don't know if I even want to keep the TE version; the whole thing is just sitting here and I don't think I'd be using the stick over the normal SF TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom